(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 132.
#2051 5 years ago
Quoted from BaronRouge:

It looks awesome, but the essentiel problem with lot of alternate translites is that it doesn't respect the original lightshow and make some surrealists effects...
Lightshow works by animated Logo (up), Davros, Time expander (down) and the seven doctors... not only a DW big logo and some stuff around...
In my opinion

Also per the light show, comet LEDs matrix system makes it super easy and affordable to move lamps and flashers pretty much where ever you like. Personally Id rather be looking at a piece of art that appeals to me with a random light show than vice versa, but to each there own.

#2052 5 years ago

... Everyone sees it their own way...

I can't imagine taking out some lights because i love the "light show" concept ; eyes on my playfield or not...

But it's leisure after all and the essential is to enjoy !

#2053 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

That's pretty awesome. I love this game but the translite is probably the crappiest art in pinball history.
This is the one I decided to go with instead.
[quoted image]

I have the same alternate translite. Absolutely love it and it really adds to the visual appeal of the machine. People complain about the light show when the translite isn't the original, but I find that it actually looks really good with this particular one.

#2054 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Also per the light show, comet LEDs matrix system makes it super easy and affordable to move lamps and flashers pretty much where ever you like. Personally Id rather be looking at a piece of art that appeals to me with a random light show than vice versa, but to each there own.

Surely a good way, i don't know this material.
Thanks for the information

#2055 5 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

I have the same alternate translite. Absolutely love it and it really adds to the visual appeal of the machine. People complain about the light show when the translite isn't the original, but I find that it actually looks really good with this particular one.

100% agree, earlier in this thread I had a polite argument about this very translite. I really do feel it matches the stock lights very well. The Tardis gets a flasher, the Daleks flash when they attach, the jewel in Davos’ Head is lit, the DW logo lights up.. what more would you want?

#2056 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

what more would you want?

animated logo and flashing doctors...

#2057 5 years ago
Quoted from BaronRouge:

animated logo and flashing doctors...

Don't the doctors light up appropriately on the speaker panel anyway? That solves that particular problem for me.....

#2058 5 years ago

I don’t know, it looks pretty darn good...

#2059 5 years ago

so, all for the best in the best of all worlds...
Thank you Doctor
As i said before, everyone sees it their own way. And it's great ! Instead of this we would have the same clone machine...

Most important thing is that the original translite is an horrible piece of (bad) art

#2060 5 years ago
Quoted from BaronRouge:

so, all for the best in the best of all worlds...
Thank you Doctor
As i said before, everyone sees it their own way. And it's great ! Instead of this we would have the same clone machine...
Most important thing is that the original translite is an horrible piece of (bad) art

Hear hear

#2061 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don’t know, it looks pretty darn good...

That looks great, especially with the color dmd!

#2062 5 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Does anyone have an over pop bumper plastic to spare? My game came without one. I thought I could live without it but that empty back corner keeps getting my attention. Thanks!
[quoted image]

Send me message, i will help you with plastics.

#2063 5 years ago

Hi Guys,
I just joined the club. Doing a full restoration at the moment. I can't find the apron decals anywhere? Any ideas who sells them or has a file to print them from?

Found an awesome RC Dalek topper to replace the original one.

IMG_20180928_141158 (resized).jpgIMG_20180928_141158 (resized).jpg
#2064 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Found an awesome RC Dalek topper to replace the original one.

You can't post that photo and not give a link.... AWESOME for sure!!!
faz

#2065 5 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Don't the doctors light up appropriately on the speaker panel anyway? That solves that particular problem for me.....

Bingo. The doctors light on the speaker panel and the lights show which one you're using on the playfield. I'll take that over the silly translite any day.

Anyone else find this game absolutely addicting? I know the time expander is the centerpiece of the game, but I simply can't get enough of hitting W-H-O and O ramps all day long. It's the most satisfying shots in all of pinball for me.

It took me over a year to find a good DW after owning one years ago before the great "purge" (aka divorce).

Edit: and here's my son playing our DW with said alternate translite.
20180929_184040 (resized).jpg20180929_184040 (resized).jpg

#2066 5 years ago

This is killing me dudes, anyone tired of their DW?

#2067 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is killing me dudes, anyone tired of their DW?

Impossible !

And with a Pinsound board and alternate translite, it's impossible X 100 !!!

#2068 5 years ago

+1. One of the best machines ever made.

1 week later
#2070 5 years ago

The new Doctor has been revealed. I am female but I don’t like the direction that the television series has progressed. It won’t stop me enjoying playing though

#2071 5 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

The new Doctor has been revealed. I am female but I don’t like the direction that the television series has progressed. It won’t stop me enjoying playing though

I didn't *love* the first episode, although I really really like Jodie Whitaker's interpretation of the doctor. She will be awesome. The second episode is way better, although I definitely hope the whole season isn't "Dark and grounded" like Broadchurch was... Doctor Who isnt' a drama murder mystery! But Jodie Whitaker has absolutely nailed the Doctor IMO.

#2072 5 years ago

Darn gender politics, it's extreme in GB. If they replaced the Doctor because it's good for the story but they only replaced it because of the gender politics. Happens to other TV productions, too...

1 week later
#2073 5 years ago

Started repainting a friend's DW:

IMG_3608 (resized).JPGIMG_3608 (resized).JPGIMG_3609 (resized).JPGIMG_3609 (resized).JPG
#2074 5 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Started repainting a friend's DW:
[quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool. Good job on that logo. Any plans to do the star bursts as well?

#2075 5 years ago

Hi Fellow Time Lords...Just picked up a Doctor Who machine. The head was disconnected from the cabinet and I am hopinhmg to get some nice pics of the inside of the backbox. Gonna take my time with the wiring, but always helps to have a reference. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

#2076 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Very cool. Good job on that logo. Any plans to do the star bursts as well?

Yes. Still cutting the frisket for it.

#2077 5 years ago

Is there anyway to prevent that gate scraping the inside cabinet? Most Dr Whos I have seen show that scratch.
Had planned to install mirror blades but I have zero tolerance on both sides. Is this normal?

IMG_20181029_133214 (resized).jpgIMG_20181029_133214 (resized).jpg
#2078 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Is there anyway to prevent that gate scraping the inside cabinet? Most Dr Whos I have seen show that scratch.
Had planned to install mirror blades but I have zero tolerance on both sides. Is this normal?
[quoted image]

Mine has that too..on both sides. If only there was a way to route out a recess in the sides so that accessories like the blades or pinballstadium could sit flush.

#2079 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

[quoted image]

1. Buy a set of these and use them every time:
Interior Cabinet Game Blade Protector Set
https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

2. Put a piece of thin adhesive-backed felt on the side of the gate, over the huge savage staple-like thing that makes the gouge.

RussM

#2080 5 years ago

Looking for ideas to make playfield little brighter. I put some spotlights on slingshot area and helped with the middle area. Planning to install a led strip under the flippers . That should light up the area where the spotlights dont reach. But not sure about the upper half.

20181031_192729 (resized).jpg20181031_192729 (resized).jpg
#2081 5 years ago
Quoted from BaronRouge:

Hi Doctors !
As i have got some requests for this alternate translite, i am going to make a new few production soon.
If there are some interested members, PM for more infos.
[quoted image]

I ordered one of these and I am very happy with it. Highly recommended!

2 weeks later
#2083 5 years ago

Offering up my old mini playfield wood, art is in good condition with mylar still on. Holes and front edge are quite worn. If anyone has a use for it, just pay shipping ($7.25 to the US). First pm takes it.P1020406 (resized).JPGP1020406 (resized).JPGP1020407 (resized).JPGP1020407 (resized).JPGP1020408 (resized).JPGP1020408 (resized).JPG

#2084 5 years ago

hello guys,
i ve just finished my DW project, evereything is ok except 2 things
1 the machine doesnt keep time and date correctly
2 when i beat a highscore, i win a free game (knocker) but as soon i put my 3 rd initial a new game starts
when i win a free game during the game everything is normal

i ve put a NVRAm so no more batteries needed
time and date are not ok after some restart of the pinball, couple minutes or hours late every restart....

is that possible that a bad installation of nvram is the culprit?
i read some where that time and date problem can be related to the cristal on the cpu...

any suggestions?

thanks

Added over 5 years ago:

you can see a short vid here

#2085 5 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

i ve just finished my DW project, evereything is ok except...
time and date are not ok after some restart of the pinball, couple minutes or hours late every restart....
thanks

Doctor Who like most of the games of that series used a timing circuit for the clock/calendar which is maintained by the CPU board battery when the game power is turned off. It is the removal of the batteries causing this issue not the presence of the NVRAM.

Doctor Who does not really use the clock/calendar for anything other than bookkeeping functions so unless it really bothers you it can be ignored.

Now, in a game like Twilight Zone where the clock is actually used I would add a 'coin' type battery in a remote holder to maintain the clock along with the NVRAM for long term retention of scores and settings. But that's just me...

#2086 5 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

hello guys,
i ve just finished my DW project, evereything is ok except...
2 when i beat a highscore, i win a free game (knocker) but as soon i put my 3 rd initial a new game starts
thanks

Mine has always behaved the same way, think that is just the way it is...

#2087 5 years ago

Can someone please tell me where the flipper fuses are located on Dr Who. ie. backboard (top, bottom, right, left etc.) or under the play field? I can’t locate them.

#2088 5 years ago
Quoted from zimbakin:

Can someone please tell me where the flipper fuses are located on Dr Who. ie. backboard (top, bottom, right, left etc.) or under the play field? I can’t locate them.

According to the manual they should be in the backbox. Four fuses on the fliptronics board fuses F901, 902, 903, and 904. Also two on the power driver board F101 and 102 but I think those aren't used when the fliptronics board is used so those may be empty.

#2089 5 years ago

I doubt it’s a fuse problem.

#2090 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

According to the manual they should be in the backbox. Four fuses on the fliptronics board fuses F901, 902, 903, and 904. Also two on the power driver board F101 and 102 but I think those aren't used when the fliptronics board is used so those may be empty.

Yes I need fuse 903, I also have the manual. However, this machine appears to have a fliptronics 1 board for whatever reason, which does not have the 4 fuses. Flipper fuse 903 seems to be missing in action.

#2091 5 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

I doubt it’s a fuse problem.

Sure it may be diodes, it may be the coil or it may even be a fried transistor. For now I just need to find the #%*! fuse.

#2092 5 years ago

Hey guys,

Got a buddy with an extra, 99% complete mini pf assembly (only missing the motor, gearbox, cam, cam roller.)

Any idea on the value, or a good guess?

#2093 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Mine has always behaved the same way, think that is just the way it is...

I thought I saw a setting in menu that looked like it could cause this.

#2094 5 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Hey guys,
Got a buddy with an extra, 99% complete mini pf assembly (only missing the motor, gearbox, cam, cam roller.)

The motor, gearbox and cam are ALOT more than 1% of the assembly. But if its clean and the plastic cover on top.isn't cracked it would be worth at least a few hundred.

#2095 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

The motor, gearbox and cam are ALOT more than 1% of the assembly. But if its clean and the plastic cover on top.isn't cracked it would be worth at least a few hundred.

Sorry, it was an estimate. All the unobtanium stuff is there.

#2096 5 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Hey guys,

I’d be interested in it if it’s in better shape then my current mini pf. I just pulled mine out to work on some optos that are misbehaving.

Can you get a pic or two so we can see what shape it is in?

#2097 5 years ago

Back in the club! Had to sell my DW last year due to circumstances... very happy to have put in a couple of games on the new machine this weekend. For now it remains in storage in Ohio but I'll be heading out to get it soon... Needs a flipper rebuild and lots and lots of cleaning, but the game plays great. Little bit of cab fade I will have to deal wtith, but nothing too serious

#2098 5 years ago

added a vid

Quoted from DavidC:

hello guys,
i ve just finished my DW project, evereything is ok except 2 things
i read some where that time and date problem can be related to the cristal on the cpu...
any suggestions?
thanks

Added today: you can see a short vid here

#2099 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Back in the club! Had to sell my DW last year due to circumstances... very happy to have put in a couple of games on the new machine this weekend. For now it remains in storage in Ohio but I'll be heading out to get it soon... Needs a flipper rebuild and lots and lots of cleaning, but the game plays great. Little bit of cab fade I will have to deal wtith, but nothing too serious

Welcome back. For me, Doctor Who is just funner than hell to shoot. Such a good game where just playing it is fun no matter how well you do.

#2100 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Welcome back. For me, Doctor Who is just funner than hell to shoot. Such a good game where just playing it is fun no matter how well you do.

Absolutely. And the Time Expander is the best playfield toy ever! I'd love to some day see 2 or 3 similar mechs on a game, which can change the playfield in the way the Hobbit uses the troll mechs.

Working on 3D printing a Dalek head just to see if I can re-frame the Time Expander. The cover always breaks, and I just think it would be cool to have a huge Dalek in the game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
Slap Save Creations

£ 110.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/42?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.