(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 132.
#1951 5 years ago

You know when some little inaccuracies in something just finally drive you a bit round the bend? I finally hit that point with the DALEK topper on my Doctor Who.

Aside from the eye stalk and dome lights being wildly out of scale (yeah, I know it's just a pinball machine and it's just there to attract attention) which is a bit difficult to do anything about without just about making an entire new DALEK... (which could yet happen) Two things just continued to gnaw at the back of the head.

The color of the 'eye' and the light bleed between the head and the main body. (mainly an issue if you have a moving DALEK head) OK, the color of the dome lights is incorrect as well but there are limits.

On early DALEKs the 'eye' was not illuminated at all, and then in the 'revival' series they took on a blue glow. So I guess red was as good a choice as any for the time. But... I wanted to address the light bleed issue so it seemed as good a time to deal with the 'eye' color as any. The final (more or less) result is in a clip at the following:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1D_Vg7gndw-MQhKNSYxQPCgAfsz2llTl4

If anyone is curious about the process I took to get there, let me know and I'll post some additional details/pix.

#1952 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

If you mean just off the white ship's left side, there is no screw in mine either. If your ramp is loose, I'd check for stripped holes around screws and posts.

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I meant! Puts my mind at rest.

#1953 5 years ago

We're putting the spotlight on Doctor Who tonight, clubbers! Come hang out and get a chance to chat with Barry Oursler and win a copy of Doctor Who: Master of Time for The Pinball Arcade.

Stream starts at 8 p.m. Eastern: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

dwfrontpage (resized).jpgdwfrontpage (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1954 5 years ago

Almost finished playfield plastics reproduction for my own project, if somebody need replace broken parts, let me know.

1 week later
#1955 5 years ago

Bought a Dr.Who pinball yesterday. Looking forward to reading these pages for ideas.

20180802_063227 (resized).jpg20180802_063227 (resized).jpg
#1956 5 years ago

arrrrgh I miss this game...

#1957 5 years ago

Love the game, but great screaming Gort getting to the pop bumpers is a miserable task! Not that changing out bumper skirts isn't miserable in general but when you have to pull out all of the ramps to do it, well...

Those old ones really did need to go tho! They have obviously seen a few games over the years.

And oh yeah, the pops are getting the LED treatment! I really don't want to have to get back into them anytime in the near future!

IMG_5967 (resized).JPGIMG_5967 (resized).JPGIMG_5975 (resized).JPGIMG_5975 (resized).JPGIMG_5977 (resized).JPGIMG_5977 (resized).JPG
#1958 5 years ago

It is quite a job to replace them. Last time I was in that area I installed a fresh set of yellow superbands in place of the white rubber. Also some small blue post rings for the time expander.

1 week later
#1959 5 years ago

Got my Doctor Who 2 weeks ago.......ordered led kit, color led display, pinsound and many more small replacement parts that should arrive by end of month.
Can´t wait to start cleaning and installing.
Anyone can tell me what´s the difference in cabinets??? Mine is blue and yellow......no red. But I´ve seen many photos and some pins have design with red.

#1960 5 years ago
Quoted from js613uy:

Got my Doctor Who 2 weeks ago.......ordered led kit, color led display, pinsound and many more small replacement parts that should arrive by end of month.
Can´t wait to start cleaning and installing.
Anyone can tell me what´s the difference in cabinets??? Mine is blue and yellow......no red. But I´ve seen many photos and some pins have design with red.

Your red has just faded off.

#1961 5 years ago

Anybody know if the emitters and recievers can be replaced on the upper playfield opto boards?

#1962 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Anybody know if the emitters and recievers can be replaced on the upper playfield opto boards?

Yup.

#1963 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Love the game, but great screaming Gort getting to the pop bumpers is a miserable task! Not that changing out bumper skirts isn't miserable in general but when you have to pull out all of the ramps to do it, well...
Those old ones really did need to go tho! They have obviously seen a few games over the years.
And oh yeah, the pops are getting the LED treatment! I really don't want to have to get back into them anytime in the near future![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, they pretty much are in the worst position ever for working on. If you can get the pf out, it's the easiest way to replace them. Adjusting them under the pf while the game is in place is not fun.

#1964 5 years ago

NEW Interactive Doctor Who Game Guide: http://pinballzoo.com/Games/GameTips?id=430

- Shot Map displays info for the selected rule
- Optimized for Cell Phones

Please check it out

pbz_dr_who (resized).pngpbz_dr_who (resized).png
#1965 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Yes absolutely - but you will have to either find the shorter tx/emitters or grind the standard ones down

You can also get upgraded boards from Great Lakes Modular

#1966 5 years ago

Is there a source for the ramp decals? Maybe somebody has restored the ramps and scanned the decals in the process?

#1967 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Is there a source for the ramp decals? Maybe somebody has restored the ramps and scanned the decals in the process?

I have only seen them for sale along with the ramps themselves. They are in stock at little shop of
Games for example.

#1968 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have only seen them for sale along with the ramps themselves. They are in stock at little shop of
Games for example.

I only need the decals, scanned if possible. So if somebody bought the ramps, please scan the decals before applying them...

#1969 5 years ago

Anyone know where I can find cab decals for Doctor Who? I'm buying one and cant find a darn thing.

#1970 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Anyone know where I can find cab decals for Doctor Who? I'm buying one and cant find a darn thing.

Email/PM retrorefurbs

#1971 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Your red has just faded off.

thank you hailrazer!!

#1972 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yes absolutely - but you will have to either find the shorter tx/emitters or grind the standard ones down

You can shim the board with a thin washer instead of grinding them

#1973 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have found 5mm LEDS and 3mm LED emmitors. I assume the 3mm are the ones I need?

#1975 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I have found 5mm LEDS and 3mm LED emmitors. I assume the 3mm are the ones I need?

yes, they will clear the mushroom target things, otherwise they get stuck. On the 5mm ones, you only really need to grind down 1mm or less on them, but it's enough that it causes problems if you don't do it.

#1976 5 years ago

For you guys without toppers, what do you do? Since finding an original topper is pretty much unobtainium.

I was thinking about buy a dalek toy and putting it up there, or a large blue phone box.

I'd love to find an equivalent DW toy of some kind and rig up a motor, buy the interface board, and have it move as the original one did.

Do most folks just stay topper-less, or do you try to shove something up there? Would love to see pics and inspired substitutions!

#1977 5 years ago

I'm restoring mine from top to bottom and have a super nice topper and a plastic dome that is in near perfect shape if anyone wants it? Not sure what to well it for. I wasnt aware they're hard for people to find. I personally dont care about toppers if anyone wants to buy mine?

Edit: took tons of pics as I'm stripping this machine entirely apart and just so happened to have two dalek topper pics (sorry, no pic of some, but it's in super awesome shape).

20180828_164252 (resized).jpg20180828_164252 (resized).jpg

20180828_164053 (resized).jpg20180828_164053 (resized).jpg

#1978 5 years ago

If anyone is looking to join the club, thinking about letting my sample with moving topper go for something else on my wishlist. Fun game, just doesn't fit with my collection criteria.

#1979 5 years ago

Could somebody explain how the correct wiring for the" second chance " flashers. My was modifed. I assume the purple and red wires went to the left flasher..and tge yellow jumper wires to the second.

20180901_190759 (resized).jpg20180901_190759 (resized).jpg
#1980 5 years ago

Looking to re-join the club - had to sell my DW under less than ideal circumstances last year and trying to get it back, but open to buying one from another owner who’s ready to move on!

#1981 5 years ago

Still searching for the printed ramp and playfield decals. At least the Time Expander decal (31-1688-1) would be nice. Scan only.

#1982 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Still searching for the printed ramp and playfield decals. At least the Time Expander decal (31-1688-1) would be nice. Scan only.

Spotted a Time Expander decal on ebay if you still need one. Item # is 273248077990

#1983 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Appears in stock at Planetary Pinball.

#1984 5 years ago

Finally, I got one so excited.

MVIMG_20180830_212813 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180830_212813 (resized).jpg
#1985 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Spotted a Time Expander decal on ebay if you still need one. Item # is 273248077990

Quoted from Freeplay40:

Appears in stock at Planetary Pinball.

Thanx for the info. Shipping is way too expensive for this small piece of paper. A scan would be very much appreciated!

#1986 5 years ago
Quoted from N8man:

Finally, I got one so excited.
[quoted image]

arrrgh!! lol

#1987 5 years ago

I know a person who has decal scans. But what kind of paper would I be able to print it on? The ones on the ramps almost look like they were printed on some type of mylar.

#1988 5 years ago

They were using some kind of vinyl with applying glue on the printed side. I have several decal scan but missing some, especially the ones on the ramps - would it be possible to get the scans from your guy?

#1989 5 years ago

Hello all, I just joined the club with an overall nice game that's been sitting neglected for about 6 years. (No batteries in there, phew!) I read ALL the posts in this group and even waited patiently for my package from Cliffy to arrive before touching that mini playfield. It seems to be working fine, just some old grease to clean up, however, it is missing the roller that rides on the motor cam that lowers and raises it. I was hoping to find it in the cabinet but all I found was the associated e-clip. Is there a source for a single roller?

I saw Marco offers a full roller kit for $30 but I'm hoping to find a single one, or even a hardware store equivalent locally.

#1990 5 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Hello all, I just joined the club with an overall nice game that's been sitting neglected for about 6 years. (No batteries in there, phew!) I read ALL the posts in this group and even waited patiently for my package from Cliffy to arrive before touching that mini playfield. It seems to be working fine, just some old grease to clean up, however, it is missing the roller that rides on the motor cam that lowers and raises it. I was hoping to find it in the cabinet but all I found was the associated e-clip. Is there a source for a single roller?
I saw Marco offers a full roller kit for $30 but I'm hoping to find a single one, or even a hardware store equivalent locally.

How does this affect the operation of the mini-playfield? I ask because I have yet to take apart my mini playfield for replacement (already have a new mini-playfield and the cliffys for it, just haven't gotten around to it yet) but when mine raises, it settles crooked, with the right side being a little lower than the left. Not low enough to affect game play, but this has me wondering if a missing or damaged roller could be the issue I might want to look for when I do take it apart....

#1991 5 years ago

How do I go about cleaning these targets? Normally I'd use acetone, but I dont dare with these since they have a picture on them and I dont want to ruin those.

20180830_200425 (resized).jpg20180830_200425 (resized).jpg
#1992 5 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

How does this affect the operation of the mini-playfield? I ask because I have yet to take apart my mini playfield for replacement (already have a new mini-playfield and the cliffys for it, just haven't gotten around to it yet) but when mine raises, it settles crooked, with the right side being a little lower than the left. Not low enough to affect game play, but this has me wondering if a missing or damaged roller could be the issue I might want to look for when I do take it apart....

Honestly, I don’t have much game time at all on it. It had too many broken rubbers to be playable and the spring steel flap on the mini playfield was very bowed (thus the first call to Cliffy) When I did play test it there were no problems with it so I really don’t know. I’d like to have the proper parts in there before attempting any adjusting though, and I know adding all the protectors means there will be some adjustments needed.

#1993 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

How do I go about cleaning these targets? Normally I'd use acetone, but I dont dare with these since they have a picture on them and I dont want to ruin those.
[quoted image]

Naphtha! Just make sure you re-wax afterwards

#1994 5 years ago

I was wondering if anyone would tell me how to wire the two ramp switches, it's one of a few things I have to do before I put the play field in.. I know after the harness it's just three wires . The harness never came with the game..
Thanks in advance

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#1995 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Could somebody explain how the correct wiring for the" second chance " flashers. My was modifed. I assume the purple and red wires went to the left flasher..and tge yellow jumper wires to the second.

Looks like the yellow wires jumper the 2 bulbs and then a Red to one and a Purple to the other. They could've run the Red and Purple to one bulb and jumper to the other bulb with the yellow wires. Looks like your other yellow wire was cut off.

Second Chance (resized).jpgSecond Chance (resized).jpg
#1996 5 years ago
Quoted from Graves:

I was wondering if anyone would tell me how to wire the two ramp switches, it's one of a few things I have to do before I put the play field in.. I know after the harness it's just three wires . The harness never came with the game..
Thanks in advance
[quoted image][quoted image]

You mean the wires that go from the harness to the micro-switch?

#1997 5 years ago

Yes , I don't want to wire them the wrong way, the harness to the switches never came with the basket case . I'm guessing the green wire is just jumped from one switch to the other . I tried to find some good pictures to figure it out but was unsuccessful.
Thanks

#1998 5 years ago

Looks like the two green wires goto the middle lug and the white to the lug closest to the front.

20180906_184509 (resized).jpg20180906_184509 (resized).jpg
#1999 5 years ago

I see , can you tell what color the stripes are on the white wire ? Was I right the green then runs to the lower switch on the same ramp , in a series. It's somewhat kinda making sense now..
So it looks like one white wire goes to the top switch and one white wire to the bottom switch . The green goes to the top switch as in the picture and then runs to the bottom switch. Sound right?
Thanks

#2000 5 years ago
Quoted from Graves:

I see , can you tell what color the stripes are on the white wire ? Was I right the green then runs to the lower switch on the same ramp , in a series. It's somewhat kinda making sense now..
So it looks like one white wire goes to the top switch and one white wire to the bottom switch . The green goes to the top switch as in the picture and then runs to the bottom switch. Sound right?
Thanks

Looks like white with purple stripe.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 110.00
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.