(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 132.
#1751 6 years ago
Quoted from jzdziarski:

question: has anyone had issues with occasional ball hangups between the mini/main playfield on the cliffy protectors? do you have to shim the mini playfield where it bolts to the main playfield, or is there a better way to get the mini to come up just a smidge?

Yes. Only way I know of is to shim with washers where the bolts go on top. If there's a better way I'd like to know also.

#1752 6 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

Yes. Only way I know of is to shim with washers where the bolts go on top. If there's a better way I'd like to know also.

was thinking about using some left over bookcase shims from my Addams Family

#1753 6 years ago

does anyone make decals for the metal outer cover for the mpf?

#1754 6 years ago

Elongate the bolt holes if it's too tight. Shim if it's too low and/or washers under the bracket mount to raise.

There's all kinds of games that may be needed.

This can be worse with repro MPFs that were constructed such that the mounting holes are off 1/8". Some folks have shaved the 1/8" off.

faz

#1755 6 years ago

I've looked everywhere, can't find any decals for the time expander bracket (the metal frame that surrounds the time expander), anyone know if they exist, or is it another licensing thing?

#1757 6 years ago
Quoted from jzdziarski:

question: has anyone had issues with occasional ball hangups between the mini/main playfield on the cliffy protectors? do you have to shim the mini playfield where it bolts to the main playfield, or is there a better way to get the mini to come up just a smidge?

I shimmed mine with thin washers under the mounting brackets.

#1758 6 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

I shimmed mine with washers under the 4 bolts that hold on the motor. That makes the mini playfield drop down lower.

#1759 6 years ago

I have a Doctor Who. My first and currently only Pinball Machine. I love it so much.

It has a debilitating short right now which I'm working on, being discussed in another post. Search on my name if you want to be involved in that discussion.

2017-11-26 17.41.35 (resized).png2017-11-26 17.41.35 (resized).png

#1760 6 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

I shimmed mine with washers under the 4 bolts that hold on the motor. That makes the mini playfield drop down lower.

Yeah, but I had to raise my MPF higher...

#1761 6 years ago

Just got my DW. Very happy with it but it needs a lot of work and it's very dirty. Now I'm going to read all of the 36 pages.

20180205_135850 (resized).jpg20180205_135850 (resized).jpg
Dirty Doctor

#1762 6 years ago

Done.
I'm very curious what people think of the pinblades for the doctor who. I can't decide weather or not it's worth it or if it looks good. What's the opinion here? If possible I would love to see more pictures of installed ones in machines. pinblades_doc_who_mop (resized).pngpinblades_doc_who_mop (resized).png

#1763 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmuis:

Done.
I'm very curious what people think of the pinblades for the doctor who. I can't decide weather or not it's worth it or if it looks good. What's the opinion here? If possible I would love to see more pictures of installed ones in machines.

I really love the look of mine. I think they actually add to the appeal... which I cannot say for every pinblade.

#1764 6 years ago

Bought a Doctor Who that got beat up pretty good, and parted it out. The filth from the playfield must have actually protected it because it's in pretty good condition. Going to send it in for a restoration and clear coat, then build out a second populated playfield for my (running) machine. Nice to have backup parts for all those thing we'll never see again due to licensing.

IMG_1577 (resized).JPGIMG_1577 (resized).JPG

#1765 6 years ago

Got a chance to restore my Dr. Who pin!

drwho6 (resized).jpgdrwho6 (resized).jpg

drwho9 (resized).jpgdrwho9 (resized).jpg

drwho8 (resized).jpgdrwho8 (resized).jpg

drwho7 (resized).jpgdrwho7 (resized).jpg

drwho10 (resized).jpgdrwho10 (resized).jpg

drwho13 (resized).jpgdrwho13 (resized).jpg

drwho11 (resized).jpgdrwho11 (resized).jpg

drwho12 (resized).jpgdrwho12 (resized).jpg

drwho14 (resized).jpgdrwho14 (resized).jpg

#1766 6 years ago

What parts do you think we'll never see again due to licensing or other reasons? Likely main playfield, I suspect a number of plastics? Am surprised though the Doctor 5 plastic is available.

#1767 6 years ago

Hey, I have a technical issue. We have the Doctor Who Pinball in our shop, but the Mini Playfield will not do CCW (counter-clockwise) movement. Clockwise appears to work in test mode.

We have a new motor and new optical sensor/receiver that test fine (camera picks up the optic light). At it now sits, it will not operate properly during gameplay and stays down. On power up, it rises/lowers the playfield, but gives the NO CCW error.

Any suggestions on what to fix next?

#1768 6 years ago
Quoted from whona:

Hey, I have a technical issue. We have the Doctor Who Pinball in our shop, but the Mini Playfield will not do CCW (counter-clockwise) movement. Clockwise appears to work in test mode.

We have a new motor and new optical sensor/receiver that test fine (camera picks up the optic light). At it now sits, it will not operate properly during gameplay and stays down. On power up, it rises/lowers the playfield, but gives the NO CCW error.

Any suggestions on what to fix next?

First off... get out of this thread. Start your own. So the issue / solution can be encapsulated.

Start with a full set of tests and report back.
All switches (could be a matrix issue)
All TEST14 tests
When running TEST14 be sure to look at all the indicators on the DMD. There's a little opto emitter/receiver and a beam on the bottom. That should open/close when the cam rotates into the path of the beam.

faz

#1769 6 years ago

Happy to knock at this club's door.
I have my DW pinball since two month only and i am so in love with it !
Here in France, it is not a popular TV show. It as just came timidly from our British neighbours since the new 2005 serie.
In add to the tacky and ugly translite this pinball is underrated...
I have changed for a alternate backglass that is playing perfectly with the original light-show and also for a custom more compact topper dome... And this machine seems regenerated like a time lord !
Playfield art is great and i hope offer to my DW a Pinsound pcb as soon as possible.
It's a very good machine for family but also a very technical/strategic pin to make big score. Everybody enjoy with it.

DSC01563 (resized).JPGDSC01563 (resized).JPG

DSC01560 (resized).JPGDSC01560 (resized).JPG

DSC01571 (resized).JPGDSC01571 (resized).JPG

DSC01567 (resized).JPGDSC01567 (resized).JPG

DSC01566 (resized).JPGDSC01566 (resized).JPG

#1770 6 years ago

Thats Translite is EPIC. I'd buy that.

#1772 6 years ago

I was having an issue with the ball getting stuck as it tried to enter the Tardis from the entrance from the Jet bumpers. It turns out that the rings in the ring kit that I originally installed were a bit too thick causing the ball to catch. Last night I pulled it back apart and installed a fresh set of yellow superbands for all the rings except for the slingshots which got blue ones. It plays much better now and I like the look of the yellow bands much better! I also got some blue and couple orange post bumpers. Would definitely recommend it! The flippers still have the regular red rubber bands and those work fine.

The only issue I have to track down is that sometimes it doesn't always register the balls in the tough properly. I've replace those switches but may need to double check the adjustment and then all the wiring and connectors but I should be able to fix it.

At some point I need to pull apart the Mini playfield and check the opto's. I have a feeling that I get multiple hits and I plan to install that 3D printed light shield to help with that. I printed a couple in black ABS and they turned out great.

Robert

DRWHO_SB (resized).jpgDRWHO_SB (resized).jpg

#1773 6 years ago

I could use some help! My game was complaining about the switch in the shooter lane and I'm not sure it had the correct switch in it when I bought the game. I thought the problem was originally just the trough switches and I've replaced all those and they register properly. The last time I bought parts I also ordered extra switches in case I need to replace one down the road.

Now here is my issue. The manual calls for a 5647-12683-04 switch in the shooter lane which is one that I have on hand. The switch I pulled out looks exactly like a 5647-12693-19 with a slightly different wireform. That one is meant for the hang on switch and the select doctor. So, I don't know what one is really correct for the game. Someone may have worked on that part before and just installed a spare switch they had on hand. It was working but it may not be correct. Just trying to see if the manual is wrong or the wrong switch was in the game.

If someone could help confirm the proper switch or even get a picture of that switch on your machine I can figure out which one is right and get the game back together.

1 week later
#1774 6 years ago

Where did you find this alternative translite?

Quoted from BaronRouge:

Happy to knock at this club's door.
I have my DW pinball since two month only and i am so in love with it !
Here in France, it is not a popular TV show. It as just came timidly from our British neighbours since the new 2005 serie.
In add to the tacky and ugly translite this pinball is underrated...
I have changed for a alternate backglass that is playing perfectly with the original light-show and also for a custom more compact topper dome... And this machine seems regenerated like a time lord !
Playfield art is great and i hope offer to my DW a Pinsound pcb as soon as possible.
It's a very good machine for family but also a very technical/strategic pin to make big score. Everybody enjoy with it.

#1775 6 years ago

Haven't seen many of these unique parts around. Looking to obtain some nice NOS Mushroom buttons.

Anyone 3d Print these. Sorry if this is a common question but mine are nasty looking.

large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg

#1776 6 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Haven't seen many of these unique parts around. Looking to obtain some nice NOS Mushroom buttons.
Anyone 3d Print these. Sorry if this is a common question but mine are nasty looking.

Hopefully someone does 3D print. They are impossible to find. Try some rubbing compound and some elbow grease. Cleaned mine up OK.

#1777 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Hopefully someone does 3D print. They are impossible to find. Try some rubbing compound and some elbow grease. Cleaned mine up OK.

I used 91% Isopropyl and a Magic Eraser and mine cleaned right up.

#1778 6 years ago

Where did you find this alternative translite?

I have created this translite

#1779 6 years ago
Quoted from BaronRouge:

I have created this translite

I love your translite! Perfect! Better than original.

#1780 6 years ago

Yes, that translite is awesome! Fantastic work! Can you make it available somehow... either completed for sale, or as a file we can get printed locally on this side of the pond?

Are you using incandescent bulbs or LEDs behind it?

#1781 6 years ago

In fact it's a graphic prototype printed on a plexiglass backside sheet, so it's really a backglass.
As it work great (with leds and bulb flashers) i actually do a mini-production of 3 translites (on backlight 280g PVC)...
If result is good, maybe one or two to sell. You could contact me in Private Message.

#1782 6 years ago

Has anyone ever seen this "cliff hanger" plastic or sticker before? I don't have one on my machine. This was from an old photo being sold on eBay here: ebay.com link: DR WHO PINBALL ORIGINAL NOS FACTORY PROMO PRESS PHOTO

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 9.27.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-03-14 at 9.27.21 PM (resized).png

#1783 6 years ago

I need to fix a switch on one of the mushroom targets and need to remove the upper playfield. Does anyone have any pointers for the easiest way to remove the the entire time expander so I can access that switch?

#1784 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

any pointers for the easiest way to remove the the entire time expander so I can access that switch?

Look here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-mpf-warning-keep-hands-away-from-mini-playfield-tech-club#post-4008337

#1785 6 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get the black plastic strip on the very leading front edge of the mini Playfield? Mine has gotten rough and has bowed up now to where the ball gets caught inside the mini Playfield and won't come out. I'm can't find anything listing it anywhere. pinball_faz have any help?

2018-03-14 23.56.14 (resized).jpg2018-03-14 23.56.14 (resized).jpg

#1786 6 years ago

ebay.com link: DR WHO 1992 BALLY TARGET BUTTON GRAY mushrooms from time expander 03 8654

#1787 6 years ago
Quoted from acmeman:

Does anyone know where I can get the black plastic strip on the very leading front edge of the mini Playfield? Mine has gotten rough and has bowed up now to where the ball gets caught inside the mini Playfield and won't come out. I'm can't find anything listing it anywhere. pinball_faz have any help?

Cliffy has them. Also, when you glue the new one on, make sure you don't tighten the posts back down too hard. I did and it bowed.

#1788 6 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

ebay.com link » Dr Who 1992 Bally Target Button Gray Mushrooms From Time Expander 03 8654

thats a rip off, if someone has a old one and can loan it to me, I will model up for free and make it available for much cheaper

#1789 6 years ago

Oh is that each? Yes rip off. I thought for whole set

#1790 6 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

Oh is that each? Yes rip off. I thought for whole set

I read it as one and it is also used = rip off

#1791 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

thats a rip off, if someone has a old one and can loan it to me, I will model up for free and make it available for much cheaper

I've got an extra set of these from a second machine I bought for parts... would be happy to send you one to model for 3d printing... my big question is will the extruded material be strong enough to handle steel balls whacking it?

#1792 6 years ago
Quoted from thedoctor:

I've got an extra set of these from a second machine I bought for parts... would be happy to send you one to model for 3d printing... my big question is will the extruded material be strong enough to handle steel balls whacking it?

the parts would be available via Shapeways which does it as a laser sintering process and would be solid nylon so I believe it would handle alot of impacts and at an affordable price. I am happy to pay for postage to me for one and also back to you so no expense to you at all as I like helping the community with the hard to get items. I have a set of nylon laser sintered swappable flipper bats in a machine with many hundreds of games and going well, and the Goldeneye Satellite dish available and no complaints of weakness along with others.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DY42C9EQF/goldeneye-pinball-satellite-dish-modded?optionId=19214667&li=marketplace
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinks&sort=newest&s=156#more-products
https://www.shapeways.com/product/X9SK45SSM/bally-pinball-rollover-button-c-587-6-ss-em?optionId=43385429&li=marketplace

#1793 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

the parts would be available via Shapeways which does it as a laser sintering process and would be solid nylon so I believe it would handle alot of impacts and at an affordable price. I am happy to pay for postage to me for one and also back to you so no expense to you at all as I like helping the community with the hard to get items. I have a set of nylon laser sintered swappable flipper bats in a machine with many hundreds of games and going well, and the Goldeneye Satellite dish available and no complaints of weakness along with others.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/DY42C9EQF/goldeneye-pinball-satellite-dish-modded?optionId=19214667&li=marketplace
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinks&sort=newest&s=156#more-products
https://www.shapeways.com/product/X9SK45SSM/bally-pinball-rollover-button-c-587-6-ss-em?optionId=43385429&li=marketplace

If no one else has one for you swinks, i'll send on to you. I'm almost positive i kept my old ones.

#1794 6 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

If no one else has one for you swinks, i'll send on to you. I'm almost positive i kept my old ones.

thanks @clnilsen, see if thedoctor gets back to me

#1795 6 years ago

I don't mind sending you one but I'm going to be traveling for a while, so if Clnilsen can get you one faster, go for it.

#1796 6 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

Cliffy has them. Also, when you glue the new one on, make sure you don't tighten the posts back down too hard. I did and it bowed.

Went there, saw that. Thanks, I'd been there before but I didn't see that. Saved me a TON of time and trouble bodging something up.

#1797 6 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

ebay.com link » Dr Who 1992 Bally Target Button Gray Mushrooms From Time Expander 03 8654

25 a pop is absurd. If I have to I will 3D print them before I get kicked in the balls like that.

#1798 6 years ago

big thanks to Clnilsen as he has posted some mushroom targets and I will make these available in the next few weeks

#1799 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

big thanks to clnilsen as he has posted some mushroom targets and I will make these available in the next few weeks

Are the STL files available for these?

#1800 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Are the STL files available for these?

I have still yet to draw up and sample

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/36?hl=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.