(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 132.
#1651 6 years ago

It's a weird feature. I thought maybe it could be turned off somewhere in the settings. I've never seen it on any other WPC game. At least by default.

#1652 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The modern mix is awesome! I would love to change it out with the others too! Can't wait until they're back up on Pinsound. Thanks pinballshark!

They are back up.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/25-doctor-who/

They are in .ogg format though. You'll have to let the Pinsound board convert them or convert it in Pinsound Studio to .wav.

#1653 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

Here's a question for all DW owners.
When the game is over and I get a high score and input my initials, the game immediately starts another game. Do they all do that?
How do I turn this behavior off?

Mine doesn't do that.

#1654 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Mine doesn't do that.

Neither does mine. Maybe it's a different ROM?

#1656 6 years ago

L-2 is the only rom besides prototype. Possibly a flakey switch or being too enthusiastic with pushing the start button. Try to shoot a video.

#1657 6 years ago

Does anyone have a clear picture of the time expander with the cover removed and a picture of the underside of the cover?

I am restoring a Dr Who which had many original parts missing like the time expander cover and the lights under it. I am trying to rebuild it as original as possible but the schematics in the manual is not really clear, so a picture would really help me.

For just getting the time-expander light up again like original I got this whole shopping list:
03-8662-9 Red starburst plastic mini-dome lamp cover
03-8666 Time expander cover (Thanks Freeplay40!!!)
31-1688 Time expander decal
A-12336-1 Socket & Bulb Assembly
H-15594 Lamp Cable (I cannot find that cable anywhere, does anybody know the part number of the connector?)
07-6688-19N Rivet, 1/8 x 7/32
07-6688-18N Rivet, 1/8 x 3/16
A-16041 Bulb & Light Socket Assembly
5070-09054-00 Diode 1N4004
03-8063-6 Sleeve

#1658 6 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

Does anyone have a clear picture of the time expander with the cover removed and a picture of the underside of the cover?
I am restoring a Dr Who which had many original parts missing like the time expander cover and the lights under it. I am trying to rebuild it as original as possible but the schematics in the manual is not really clear, so a picture would really help me.
For just getting the time-expander light up again like original I got this whole shopping list:
03-8662-9 Red starburst plastic mini-dome lamp cover
03-8666 Time expander cover (Thanks Freeplay40!!!)
31-1688 Time expander decal
A-12336-1 Socket & Bulb Assembly
H-15594 Lamp Cable (I cannot find that cable anywhere, does anybody know the part number of the connector?)
07-6688-19N Rivet, 1/8 x 7/32
07-6688-18N Rivet, 1/8 x 3/16
A-16041 Bulb & Light Socket Assembly
5070-09054-00 Diode 1N4004
03-8063-6 Sleeve

Bumper, by "the cover" do you mean the plastic piece which sits on the very top (with the big decal) ? If you need a new one, there was a thread around here where new, thicker ones were made

#1659 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Bumper, by "the cover" do you mean the plastic piece which sits on the very top (with the big decal) ? If you need a new one, there was a thread around here where new, thicker ones were made

Yes, I already ordered the new one, coming in soon. But that is just a piece of plastic, the lamps under it are missing too, and I don't know how that red plastic dome is mounted to the cover.

#1660 6 years ago

They are back up.
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/25-doctor-who/
They are in .ogg format though. You'll have to let the Pinsound board convert them or convert it in Pinsound Studio to .wav.

Thank you! I tried with another .ogg file (not yours) and it didn't auto-convert. I'll download them and give it a shot.

EDIT: the British lady is telling me percentage converting progress so i think im good!

#1661 6 years ago

anybody ever have their machine reset during multiball only? seems weird to me that it only happens during multiball.

Brian

#1662 6 years ago

I imagine there's enough going on during multiball that if your 5V is getting weak, this is when you're most likely to get resets.

#1663 6 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

anybody ever have their machine reset during multiball only? seems weird to me that it only happens during multiball.
Brian

Probably because the mini playfield fires up then, and you have a lot more coils going at the same time. I used to have that problem, had to replace my voltage regulator on the power driver board. The drop in no-heat replacement is amazing! Changed the game

#1664 6 years ago

thanks for the tips guys, once I get a chance to look and diagnose, I'll report back.
Brian

#1665 6 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

thanks for the tips guys, once I get a chance to look and diagnose, I'll report back.
Brian

You can try a Rob Kahr board to fix it, may or may not work depending on your issue with your board. Eventually my voltage reg went so bad it could not keep the 5v steady

#1666 6 years ago

Joined the club on the weekend. A very dirty and faded working project. Spent two days cleaning and fixing faults. Just getting it working properly and tidy for now. I'll do a full resto down the track. Kids had a great time with the decals and did a pretty good job I think. I used up a few LEDs I had left over for the Gi. I'm not usually a fan of coloured Gi but it was all I had.

IMG_1206 (resized).JPGIMG_1206 (resized).JPG

IMG_1209 (resized).JPGIMG_1209 (resized).JPG

IMG_1212 (resized).JPGIMG_1212 (resized).JPG

IMG_1217 (resized).JPGIMG_1217 (resized).JPG

IMG_1246 (resized).JPGIMG_1246 (resized).JPG

IMG_1273 (resized).JPGIMG_1273 (resized).JPG

IMG_1276 (resized).JPGIMG_1276 (resized).JPG

IMG_1253 (resized).JPGIMG_1253 (resized).JPG

#1667 6 years ago

Outstanding work!

#1668 6 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Brian

I had this happen for the first time yesterday as well. I hit the jack pot on multiball, which triggered the REPLAY knocker while the PF was moving and boom it was power out and reset.

#1669 6 years ago

Here's a question for all DW owners.
When the game is over and I get a high score and input my initials, the game immediately starts another game. Do they all do that?
How do I turn this behavior off?

Mine doesn't. Sounds like a touchy start button.

#1670 6 years ago

I just bought a DW from the for sale page here, can’t wait for it to get here. I’ll post pictures once it arrives. Oh, and by the way, Tom Baker.

#1671 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

I just bought a DW from the for sale page here, can’t wait for it to get here. I’ll post pictures once it arrives. Oh, and by the way, Tom Baker.

That's the Doctor I grew up with! I have this vivid memory of the Doctor and 2 companions walking around in what I remember as a warehouse or possibly a battleship, with multi-level control panels (or at least a couple of stairs up!) The other day I am pretty sure I saw it the episode in question, but I missed the title! Sarah Jane Smith was in it (the one I saw recently), and she gets trapped in a room and faints or is knocked out or something. I will track it down eventually!

congratulations on joining the club!

#1672 6 years ago

And if there was any question who was the best Doctor...

#1673 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

And if there was any question who was the best Doctor...
» YouTube video

Looking forward to the next season and the Christmas episode!

1 week later
#1674 6 years ago

This just came today, my first pin. Too bad one of the flippers went bad, oh well, it’ll be fun when it gets fixed. Now I see why you need to have multiple pins, if one is down, play another.

65016FED-F3AB-497A-A0EA-C1FB0619646B (resized).jpeg65016FED-F3AB-497A-A0EA-C1FB0619646B (resized).jpeg

#1675 6 years ago

Wahoo! The Dr. Is back up and running after replacing the 5volt voltage regulators.

Brian

20171104_174211 (resized).jpg20171104_174211 (resized).jpg

20171104_180526 (resized).jpg20171104_180526 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1676 6 years ago

Yep, mine is back up and running too. The seller, Pintopia, fixed the fliptronics board for me and I replaced the coil for the upper left flipper, my first pin repair and first time soldering. Me and the kids have been putting a bunch of games on it since getting it working again on Friday. Lots of fun.

#1677 6 years ago

One other problem I've been having is button switch false hits under the mini playfield. I found a mod on thingiverse that I was able to 3D print that stops opto light bleed at these switches. It works fantastic. It's something I had thought about designing, and then one shows up on thingiverse, if you have a 3D printer, print one out, it's pretty nice. And works great.
Brian

Here is the link to the part: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2387162

20171105_200549 (resized).jpg20171105_200549 (resized).jpg
20171105_200531 (resized).jpg20171105_200531 (resized).jpg
20171105_202538 (resized).jpg20171105_202538 (resized).jpg

#1678 6 years ago

bpull How about a link!?!?!

That's great! Plus that part is unobtanium these days!
faz

EDIT: I guess Marco does have them... but I think I'd like fresh ABS.

#1679 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

bpull How about a link!?!?!
That's great! Plus that part is unobtanium these days!
faz
EDIT: I guess Marco does have them... but I think I'd like fresh ABS.

Hi Faz, unfortunately it's only the part that fits inside between the opto boards and not the button holder part. That's also on the list to design for printing, but it'll be awhile. maybe someone will beat me to that too. LOL

Brian

1 week later
#1680 6 years ago

Anyone have any advice for fixing connectors between green light board and cpu?

The connector to my ESCAPE targets is failing. I can get it work and five minutes later it needs to be reseated. Do I simply reflow soder on pins?

Also have couple other lights on greenboard work one minute after tweaking bulb sockets.
Then not working later. Tried new black connector detachable pots. Not sure how to consisely communicate this.

#1681 6 years ago

I was asked by a member to post a picture of the permanent markers used to make my doctor who respectable until I re-decaled it.
The brand is pilot. V super color refillable
Hope it helps.

IMG_1209 (resized).JPGIMG_1209 (resized).JPG

IMG_1211 (resized).JPGIMG_1211 (resized).JPG

IMG_1254 (resized).JPGIMG_1254 (resized).JPG

IMG_1401 (resized).JPGIMG_1401 (resized).JPG

#1682 6 years ago

Wow, night and day difference. Amazing job, it looks great.

#1683 6 years ago

Hi all. Whats a price check on original topper dome and dalek (non moving). Thankyou.

#1684 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi all. Whats a price check on original topper dome and dalek (non moving). Thankyou.

I believe one was Listed for $300 or so recently, but I am not sure it sold. If it’s non-moving it really diminishes the value

#1685 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe one was Listed for $300 or so recently, but I am not sure it sold. If it’s non-moving it really diminishes the value

Wow I've been looking for one for years and one sold "recently" damn damnedy damn

#1686 6 years ago

Ben I will prob have one for sale with dome soon. Will put up for sale on here if when it happens. In Brisbane. Also have a set of new ramps, manuals, speaker panel plastic l, cab decals, full cliffy set and alot of mods.

#1687 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Ben I will prob have one for sale with dome soon. Will put up for sale on here if when it happens. In Brisbane. Also have a set of new ramps, manuals, speaker panel plastic l, cab decals, full cliffy set and alot of mods.

Awesome - hopefully I don't miss it when you place the ad!

#1688 6 years ago
Quoted from Benobutton:

Wow I've been looking for one for years and one sold "recently" damn damnedy damn

It was on here for weeks - seller was in Germany I think?

#1689 6 years ago

Greetings! can someone lead me to the board connector in the backbox of my Doctor Who that related to the E.S.C.A.P.E. lights on the playfield? Mine are intermittent and I would like to clean the connector and pins.
Thanks!

#1690 6 years ago
Quoted from robodhisattva:

can someone lead me to the board connector in the backbox of my Doctor Who that related to the E.S.C.A.P.E. lights on the playfield?

Look at your manual. Page 3-2 (Lamp Matrix). Restated on 3-22.

There's a crazy amount of info in that little diagram.

Across the top lists the columns, the rows down the left side.
The upper left grid square is (1,1)... or the the "E" in "Escape".

The connectors on the driver board are
J137 (column) pin #1... the wire should be Yellow w/Brown stripe
J133 (row) Pin #1 the wire should be Red w/Brown Stripe

The transistors are listed too (Q98/Q90).

EDIT: Oh... and the map of the driver board is on 2-11

Now you're an expert
faz

#1691 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Look at your manual. Page 3-2 (Lamp Matrix). Restated on 3-22.
There's a crazy amount of info in that little diagram.
Across the top lists the columns, the rows down the left side.
The upper left grid square is (1,1)... or the the "E" in "Escape".
The connectors on the driver board are
J137 (column) pin #1... the wire should be Yellow w/Brown stripe
J133 (row) Pin #1 the wire should be Red w/Brown Stripe
The transistors are listed too (Q98/Q90).
EDIT: Oh... and the map of the driver board is on 2-11
Now you're an expert
faz

Perfect. I am still learning how to read the schematics. I will be an expert eventually.

#1692 6 years ago

Greetings! can someone lead me to the board connector in the backbox of my Doctor Who that related to the E.S.C.A.P.E. lights on the playfield? Mine are intermittent and I would like to clean the connector and pins.
Thanks!

Your issue is almost certain to be the connector down on the board and not in the back box. If you have already reflowed the header pins and it didn't help, you may need to replace the male pins and female connector. Issues caused from the backbox connection would have other lights having problems.

#1693 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Your issue is almost certain to be the connector down on the board and not in the back box. If you have already reflowed the header pins and it didn't help, you may need to replace the male pins and female connector. Issues caused from the backbox connection would have other lights having problems.

Most certainly is the board connector. It "works when wiggled" but does not seem to stay working unless some tension is on the light board. Is this when I "reflow the header pins"

It is such a great game. Everything is working but these lights and I want it 100% somehow it throws me off the entire game.

#1694 6 years ago

Most certainly is the board connector. It "works when wiggled" but does not seem to stay working unless some tension is on the light board. Is this when I "reflow the header pins"
It is such a great game. Everything is working but these lights and I want it 100% somehow it throws me off the entire game.

Yup, reflow the header pins on the light board. Should solve the issue.

#1695 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not sure how, very few had the original moving Dalek, the standard was really just the non-moving Dalek. I'd say not having the topper might diminish the value though.

#1696 6 years ago

Mark Davidson recreated the original design of the motorized head, but it's just the motor/mechs/boards.

You MUST find the dome and the Dalek to put the kit inside of it. Moving or not I think the topper is required. DW would not be the same without that Dalek eye stalk staring you down

Sharon posted about it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/marks-wobble-head-kit-doctor-who

faz

#1697 6 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I was asked by a member to post a picture of the permanent markers used to make my doctor who respectable until I re-decaled it.
The brand is pilot. V super color refillable
Hope it helps.

Thanks. I think I am going to go this route. How many coats of paint did you use? Can you tell up close if it was filled in by a marker?

1 week later
#1698 6 years ago

had to sell my DW recently, so I am selling a good box to a timelord! Has an awesome Keychain, and a Dalek and k9 toy (maybe could be added somewhere in the machine? I never tried). $10 and ill toss in shipping... so it's free basically, just cover shipping which will be around $10 I imagine. Send a PM if interested.

#1699 6 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

One other problem I've been having is button switch false hits under the mini playfield. I found a mod on thingiverse that I was able to 3D print that stops opto light bleed at these switches. It works fantastic. It's something I had thought about designing, and then one shows up on thingiverse, if you have a 3D printer, print one out, it's pretty nice. And works great.
Brian
Here is the link to the part: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2387162

Just printed this and put it in my Doctor Who. Excellent mod! Had false reads all the time and now no more

#1700 6 years ago

Hello to all the Dr Who owners here. Recently found a beautiful example, no fade, shopped, leds, solid 9.0 maybe even 9.5. Any thoughts on price for this pin in beautiful condition. No errors, everything works the way it should. Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

£ 110.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/34?hl=hughesdforce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.