(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 132.
#1551 6 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

Both of the things you've highlighted are issues. The leaf switch can't make consistent contact when bent back like that and the roll pin obviously needs to stay in. You can bend the switch back if you want. However, I'd recommend buying a flipper rebuild kit. They're around $25 on pinball life and contain all the parts that are causing you trouble for both the left and right flippers. If you don't want to do any work yourself you can buy a completely built (including mounting bracket) flipper assembly for $40.

Noted, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will definitely grab one of those. When I bent the leaf back and secured the pin, it works fine and contact is good but the pin won't stay in place for a full game. I think the leaf bending was a result of the pin popping out.

#1552 6 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

Both of the things you've highlighted are issues. The leaf switch can't make consistent contact when bent back like that and the roll pin obviously needs to stay in. You can bend the switch back if you want. However, I'd recommend buying a flipper rebuild kit. They're around $25 on pinball life and contain all the parts that are causing you trouble for both the left and right flippers. If you don't want to do any work yourself you can buy a completely built (including mounting bracket) flipper assembly for $40.

Both kits are worth every penny. Don't forget to buy the plastic collar if you need to replace it too - that does not come in the kit

#1553 6 years ago

Recently picked up a Doctor Who and really enjoying it so far. Couple questions:

- is the Cliffy protector for the edge difficult to install?
- I noticed the ball often comes off the side ramp when shot by the side flipper. Is there anything you can install to prevent the ball from coming off this ramp? Not sure if there is a mod for the ramp?

Thanks for your assistance.

#1554 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Recently picked up a Doctor Who and really enjoying it so far. Couple questions:
- I noticed the ball often comes off the side ramp when shot by the side flipper. Is there anything you can install to prevent the ball from coming off this ramp? Not sure if there is a mod for the ramp?

Congrats on the pick up!

I just did the cliffy install last week. It is not too bad, very straight forward. The only annoying thing is you'll probably have to give those posts a good wiggle to get them out as they have probably been taking a beating for 20+ years and get nice and stuck in the play field.

I haven't had the other issue with the side ramp though.

#1555 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

The cliffy for the MiniPlayfield edge is not too difficult to install - but you MUST make sure it is tight as possible to the wood. There are 2 pieces and both must be very tightly installed so the MPF can raise and lower. It looks great when installed and is a huge upgrade to the stuck-on piece of ramp metal that is the stock piece.

The ramp - you mean the sonic boom ramp? Do you have the clear plastic piece that sits on top of the ramp entrance? If that is missing you may get airballs. You can order a new one with the DW logo etched on it

#1556 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The ramp - you mean the sonic boom ramp? Do you have the clear plastic piece that sits on top of the ramp entrance? If that is missing you may get airballs. You can order a new one with the DW logo etched on it

Thanks for the details. I don't have any plastic above the ramp entrance. If it will help with the airballs, I will order them.

#1557 6 years ago
Quoted from noahd42:

Congrats on the pick up!
I just did the cliffy install last week. It is not too bad, very straight forward. The only annoying thing is you'll probably have to give those posts a good wiggle to get them out as they have probably been taking a beating for 20+ years and get nice and stuck in the play field.
I haven't had the other issue with the side ramp though.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The cliffy for the MiniPlayfield edge is not too difficult to install - but you MUST make sure it is tight as possible to the wood. There are 2 pieces and both must be very tightly installed so the MPF can raise and lower. It looks great when installed and is a huge upgrade to the stuck-on piece of ramp metal that is the stock piece.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you need to remove the time expander completely to install the cliffy?

#1558 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for the feedback. Do you need to remove the time expander completely to install the cliffy?

Nope, just the screws on the side posts and that will release the upper metal portion that goes around the back so you can pull the posts. The Cliffy will slide down just in front and you re-assemble from there.

#1559 6 years ago
Quoted from noahd42:

Nope, just the screws on the side posts and that will release the upper metal portion that goes around the back so you can pull the posts. The Cliffy will slide down just in front and you re-assemble from there.

You may need to readjust how it sits in the hole though - if you install the whole cliffy set, you need the MPF to be pushed as far back as it can be

#1560 6 years ago

My boss has a Doctor Who as well and he bought it a year or two after me (for $700). Anyway, he just moved and the machine is at my house for some love. First off, it didn't boot. Pulled the driver board and found two bad bridge rectifiers that were blowing a fuse (F113) and giving no power to the MPU. Replaced them and it's alive. Start testing and one of the Dalek bumps isn't working and all but one of the Escape switches are out. The Escape was a broken wire. Resoldered and back in business (daisy chain diode link). The Bumps (Obscure Doctor Who reference to "Bumps") were also a broken wire (shown below) and then tested great. Probably going to do a full Cliffy on the Time Expander because the wood is a bit beat. Repairs nearly done. Maybe a switch or two left to replace or adjust then onto cosmetics.

IMG_0616 (resized).JPGIMG_0616 (resized).JPG

Broken Wire:
IMG_0617 (resized).JPGIMG_0617 (resized).JPG

Testing:
IMG_0618 (resized).JPGIMG_0618 (resized).JPG

#1561 6 years ago

And just for a minor weekend diversion, a bit of game room wall art.

Framed flyers and keyfobsFramed flyers and keyfobs

#1562 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

That is very cool!

#1563 6 years ago

Hey guys, bought a Who recently and I'm trying to find the correct types of posts missing from the ball guides (pictured). Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0121 (resized).JPGIMG_0121 (resized).JPG

IMG_0122 (resized).JPGIMG_0122 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1564 6 years ago

I joined the club yesterday. Found a great deal through the Facebook marketplace listings. I've only played a handful of games on one of these in the past, so I'm looking forward to learning all about it.

IMG_4077 (resized).JPGIMG_4077 (resized).JPG

IMG_4079 (resized).JPGIMG_4079 (resized).JPG

IMG_4078 (resized).JPGIMG_4078 (resized).JPG

IMG_4086 (resized).JPGIMG_4086 (resized).JPG

#1565 6 years ago

Is the default Dr. Who when you start the game up always set to number 7 or can this be adjusted in the options menu? I would think number 1 would be the natural default. Is there a short guide to explain the 7 different options? Thanks again.

#1566 6 years ago

There is an old thread on different strategies here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-strategies

#1567 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Is the default Dr. Who when you start the game up always set to number 7 or can this be adjusted in the options menu? I would think number 1 would be the natural default. Is there a short guide to explain the 7 different options? Thanks again.

Yeah there should be an adjustment in the menu. I know I had set my default to the First Doctor for a while

#1568 6 years ago

That is fantastic. Did you make it yourself or buy it completed somewhere?

#1569 6 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

Yeah there should be an adjustment in the menu. I know I had set my default to the First Doctor for a while

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/738/Bally_1992_11_04_Doctor_Who_Manual_Amendment.pdf

A.2 55

I set mine to #1 to start.
faz

#1570 6 years ago
Quoted from rhettkun:

Hey guys, bought a Who recently and I'm trying to find the correct types of posts missing from the ball guides (pictured). Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Take the ones you have to a local hardware store (not lowes or HD) and they should have something that works. I was missing these on my Gilligans and Ace hardware had them.

#1571 6 years ago

Framed flyers and keyfobsFramed flyers and keyfobs

Quoted from TigerLaw:That is fantastic. Did you make it yourself or buy it completed somewhere?

Thank you. It is a DIY. You can do quite a bit with a mat cutter, some foam core, an X-acto knife, and a stack of garage sale picture frames to pull from.

#1572 6 years ago

Thank you. It is a DIY. You can do quite a bit with a mat cutter, some foam core, an X-acto knife, and a stack of garage sale picture frames to pull from.

Where did you get all the Doctor faces from?

#1573 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Where did you get all the Doctor faces from?

They are old promo pieces. Normal pinball vendors might have them, and of course eBay does

#1574 6 years ago

The faces where key fobs that I think where sent out with the game. I see sets on e-bay every once in a while. I picked up a set at Pinball Expo from Jim at Pingame Journal.

#1575 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

They are old promo pieces. Normal pinball vendors might have them, and of course eBay does

Yeah, what he said! Promo key fobs.

#1576 6 years ago

Pretty cool Doctor Who poster on allposters.ca. Was able to get mine for around $6 CDN. Nice size for framing, 24 x 36 inches. Just sign up for the special offers and it reduces the price 40%. Not sure what the charge is to the US for shipping?

doctor-who-daleks-comic-cover (resized).jpgdoctor-who-daleks-comic-cover (resized).jpg

#1577 6 years ago

As a new Doctor Who owner, I’m curious to watch episodes of the show somewhere, so I can understand the characters and call outs in the game. I vaguely recall the PBS version of the early 80’s when I was a kid, but never watched it. Is that the one the pinball is themed after? Any idea where I could watch old episodes that correlate to the theme of the game? The backglass shows seven guys -are they Doctor Who? Are they different actors or do they represent different points in time? I understand there is a new version of the show out there, but I’d like to watch and understand the show 1992 or earlier, so it’s in line with the time frame of the pinball.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm loving the game so far this first week of owning it. I have new rubber and LED bulbs on order and hope I can begin the shop job this weekend. I'll post pictures once complete.

#1578 6 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

As a new Doctor Who owner, I’m curious to watch episodes of the show somewhere, so I can understand the characters and call outs in the game. I vaguely recall the PBS version of the early 80’s when I was a kid, but never watched it. Is that the one the pinball is themed after? Any idea where I could watch old episodes that correlate to the theme of the game? The backglass shows seven guys -are they Doctor Who? Are they different actors or do they represent different points in time? I understand there is a new version of the show out there, but I’d like to watch and understand the show 1992 or earlier, so it’s in line with the time frame of the pinball.
Thanks in advance for the help. I'm loving the game so far this first week of owning it. I have new rubber and LED bulbs on order and hope I can begin the shop job this weekend. I'll post pictures once complete.

The game is a bastard with the short flippers and giant outlanes. But it's hard on medium/hard, and it's incredibly easy on easy mode.

All 7 faces represent the doctors at the time the game was made. When they changed actors, the doctor would die and "regenerate" into the new actor. There have now been 13 (about to be 14 this Christmas). They are all the same person though, even though they allow each actor to play the character with their own style.

The game story is in th manual (look it up on ipdb if you don't have a printed one), and it's something like that all the bad guys over the years have gotten together to create a "Time Expander" which will allow them to take over time and the universe. The master, the dalek a, Davros (created the daleks). I think there's a Cyberman too.

Anyway this has created a time vortex so all the doctors are available at the same
Time, which is why they are all selectable and playable

The scoring slightly changes with which doctor you select, although what the DMD describes is totally unhelpful. The manual describes it better

Glad you joined the club! One of my favorites and an under-valued pin IMO.

#1579 6 years ago

Hey guys -
I'm not a Time Lord (sorry..) But I did spend this weekend tearing apart and rebuilding an acquaintance's Doctor Who, and I noticed something I wanted to get info on..

The area under the ramp entrances, behind the Tardis, there are some unused dimples, and artwork in the plastics that show that something was changed around that area. Maybe different ramp configuration?

Some pics -
BQ3Gepk (resized).jpgBQ3Gepk (resized).jpg
There's a unused dimple right next to the lamp hole, and another one in the semi-circle that's actually cut from the plastic. The semi-circle missing indicates a post or standoff would have been planned to go there.
JNNXIUq (resized).jpgJNNXIUq (resized).jpg
Another show of the unused dimple and plastic form, and artwork on the smaller plastic shows the area where a cutout *would be*, and while it's not visible, there IS a dimple under that filled-in semi-circle there.
Lc0NMQN (resized).jpgLc0NMQN (resized).jpg
Unused ramp-entrance dimples, likely for the usual wood screws to hold down the ramp's entrance.

Was wondering if anyone knew the story (or part of the story) behind these?

#1580 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hey guys -
I'm not a Time Lord (sorry..) But I did spend this weekend tearing apart and rebuilding an acquaintance's Doctor Who, and I noticed something I wanted to get info on..
The area under the ramp entrances, behind the Tardis, there are some unused dimples, and artwork in the plastics that show that something was changed around that area. Maybe different ramp configuration?
Some pics -

There's a unused dimple right next to the lamp hole, and another one in the semi-circle that's actually cut from the plastic. The semi-circle missing indicates a post or standoff would have been planned to go there.

Another show of the unused dimple and plastic form, and artwork on the smaller plastic shows the area where a cutout *would be*, and while it's not visible, there IS a dimple under that filled-in semi-circle there.

Unused ramp-entrance dimples, likely for the usual wood screws to hold down the ramp's entrance.
Was wondering if anyone knew the story (or part of the story) behind these?

Great detective work! There is a website chronicling the evolutions this game went through - Larry Pfutz's site if I recall correctly. It unfortunately does not detail what playfield changes were made through the process. I would love to know more - I know this game was changed from a Bally to a Williams backbox very late in the game, forcing the art to be redone. But no details on the PF are detailed...

#1581 6 years ago

Before and after of the one I picked up last week.

IMG_4210 (resized).JPGIMG_4210 (resized).JPG

#1582 6 years ago

Before and after of the only I picked up last week.

I really like the blue under the ramps! Is that just blue in the GI? this game needs more blue, it lookslike a McDonald's without it..

#1583 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Is that just blue in the GI?

Thank you. I think it looks nice too. I used blue under the right ramp, but ran out. So I used the Comet 'Purple Passion" bulbs on the left side. They make the colors pop, like a black light will.

#1584 6 years ago

Thank you. I think it looks nice too. I used blue under the right ramp, but ran out. So I used the Comet 'Purple Passion" bulbs on the left side. They make the colors pop, like a black light will.

How cool. I was just talking with somebody about a black light mod for a Creature - but we were talking for the outside cab decals. This game can look VERY cool with some adjustments to the lighting. I know it's not a purist's stance, but the game looks way dated just using regular colors. I changed my pop colors in the upper right PF and that made a huge difference. I am considering adding the LightedPinballMods plasma bumpers for some added kick... it goes well with the scifi theme -

#1585 6 years ago

I've been posting some tips on my group on Facebook with repair tips. I've been shopping my Boss's Doctor Who and passed a couple of tips while working on the game.

First was preventing cracked plastics from getting worse by putting Mylar on both sides.

The second was how to re-glue the stickers on the ramp with 3M transfer adhesive that Pinrestore.com sells. I clean off the old glue with goof off and then clean it good and apply the adhesive. Works well.

And I don't like UB LEDs on games. Sorry...

IMG_0728 (resized).JPGIMG_0728 (resized).JPG
IMG_0729 (resized).JPGIMG_0729 (resized).JPG
IMG_0730 (resized).JPGIMG_0730 (resized).JPG
IMG_0731 (resized).JPGIMG_0731 (resized).JPG
IMG_0732 (resized).JPGIMG_0732 (resized).JPG

#1586 6 years ago

This is another thing I never thought of:

IMG_0734 (resized).PNGIMG_0734 (resized).PNG

#1587 6 years ago

This pic really confuses me, unless this is something in the manufacturing process (which doesn't quite make sense either)?

Quoted from awarner:

This is another thing I never thought of:

#1588 6 years ago

That's how they were made at the factory, not sure what is confusing about it.

#1589 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

That's how they were made at the factory, not sure what is confusing about it.

Chop and sand!

#1590 6 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

First was preventing cracked plastics from getting worse by putting Mylar on both sides.

I made custom protectors for my slings. I traced them on a piece of 1/8 Masonite. Then cut the Masonite slugs. I used them as a template for my router with a template guide to cut perfect cut poly 1/16 greater than the slings.

faz

#1591 6 years ago

The doctor landed @ home

IMG_5706 (resized).JPGIMG_5706 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1592 6 years ago

I went with 8-bit Dalek wall art.

IMG_0086 (resized).JPGIMG_0086 (resized).JPG

#1593 6 years ago

My topper won't quite fit!

20160831_190104 (resized).jpg20160831_190104 (resized).jpg

#1594 6 years ago

Found a cool poster of the Tardis and framed it to hang on the wall by the Dr Who machine.

dr_who (resized).jpgdr_who (resized).jpg

#1595 6 years ago

I need to double check a part on a guy's game I'm working on. The VUK in the TARDIS uses a A-17767, right?

#1596 6 years ago
Quoted from Backyardace:

My topper won't quite fit!

I expect a photo of that PLAYING DW!

Make it happen
faz

#1597 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

I expect a photo of that PLAYING DW!
Make it happen
faz

LOL I would hang a photo of that on my wall

1 week later
#1598 6 years ago

Anyone have any tips for loop champion? My highest is 14 but I'm sure some folks around here have some really big loop scores.

During multiball, I haven't had any luck trapping up two balls on the right flipper and hitting the loop on repeat with the third ball.

This is absolutely my favorite three flipper game to date.

#1599 6 years ago

You'll find the rhythm for shooting the loops... and when you do, you'll blow your record away.
It's all about timing the shot. The flow break after the 10th shot causes a bit of chaos but you need to recover and get into your groove

I think my high was 80ish

The beta game code did not have the action break for sonic boom so you could get into the zone and get a few hundred.

faz

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 40.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/32?hl=noahd42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.