(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 132.
#1501 6 years ago

Someone on PS is selling a topper - it's not a moving one, but making the dalek move isn't that hard if you buy one of the kits . Be prepared to spend $$$ though

#1502 6 years ago

I joined the club this week too! Plays great. I'm really enjoying the game so far. Previous owner had the game set to ten balls... Safe to say I changed that and I don't think I'll be hitting any of his high scores.

20170703_170925 (resized).jpg20170703_170925 (resized).jpg

20170706_192835 (resized).jpg20170706_192835 (resized).jpg

#1503 6 years ago

Cab looks great on yours!

#1504 6 years ago

Just joined the club as well.

#1505 6 years ago
Quoted from noahd42:

I joined the club this week too! Plays great. I'm really enjoying the game so far. Previous owner had the game set to ten balls... Safe to say I changed that and I don't think I'll be hitting any of his high scores.

Great color on the sides there! 10 balls?! That's crazy.

#1506 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Someone on PS is selling a topper - it's not a moving one, but making the dalek move isn't that hard if you buy one of the kits . Be prepared to spend $$$ though

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that. But at roughly $400 US (plus shipping), that's a tough pill to swallow. I'd rather spend $30 buying a large dalek toy off eBay/Amazon and putting it up there. Nobody will know but me...

#1507 6 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that. But at roughly $400 US (plus shipping), that's a tough pill to swallow. I'd rather spend $30 buying a large dalek toy off eBay/Amazon and putting it up there. Nobody will know but me...

I get it - those things are ULTRA rare though; might be worth a second thought. The game is definitely worth more with it (though whether it's worth $400 would have to be looked at). It hasn't sold AFAIK- you may be able to strike a deal

#1508 6 years ago

$400 seems to be the magic number these days.

But, if you're going to spend that $400 I'd recommend the ColorDMD for DW be the first spend. As a player I really enjoy the ColorDMD more than my moving topper (which the assembly was $400). Shimoda got the dots "right".

faz

#1509 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

But, if you're going to spend that $400 I'd recommend the ColorDMD for DW be the first spend. As a player I really enjoy the ColorDMD more than my moving topper (which the assembly was $400). Shimoda got the dots "right".
faz

QFT

#1510 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

faz

Agreed. I'd much rather buy a ColorDMD (LED version) for the Doctor methinks.

#1511 6 years ago

I love this game! Finally got it cleaned up (EVERY plastic was a deep yellow) - came dirty as heck, half the lights weren't working due to cracked solder joints, minor blemish in PF I will probably have re-cleared some day, and just usual cab wear and tear, but nothing crazy. Need to polish and re-decal the Dalek box eventually.

ColorDMD installed, Pinsound board with drastically different callouts (my attempt at changing the story of the game a bit, includes new doctors 9-11), moving topper, lit speaker panel, WAY too bright LEDs on the coin mech, FULLY cleaned and polished and working MPF thanks to faz, alt translite, and only 1 toy - a K-9 which replaces the left-hand Whomobile.

IMG_1921 (resized).JPGIMG_1921 (resized).JPG

IMG_1923 (resized).JPGIMG_1923 (resized).JPG

IMG_1922 (resized).JPGIMG_1922 (resized).JPG

IMG_1924 (resized).JPGIMG_1924 (resized).JPG

#1512 6 years ago

Holy hell, that is a beautiful machine. That backless is amazing. Normally I hate alternate translights, but THAT ONE is amazing. I'm looking at buying a Doctor Who soon. Not soon enough.

#1513 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Holy hell, that is a beautiful machine. That backless is amazing. Normally I hate alternate translights, but THAT ONE is amazing. I'm looking at buying a Doctor Who soon. Not soon enough.

Except it doesn't match up with the original light show at all, which will make it look weird in person. To each their own though.

#1514 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Except it doesn't match up with the original light show at all, which will make it look weird in person. To each their own though.

Funny you should say that - I "auditioned" this and the other alt translite, and while you are correct the other one doesn't match up at all, this one absolutely does. The main flashers are behind the DW logo, the Tardis, the Daleks and the light show looks really really good. I really prefer the color scheme on this one better, too. I put a blue light under the blue thing in Davros' head (upper right) and it lines up perfectly. Really well done, this one.

#1515 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Thanks BTW, you wouldnt' believe what it looked like before I cleaned it up. under the PF still needs a little work but I would never have believed it would clean up this nice. I am missing one decal on the Sonic Boom ramp though, not sure how a whole decal is just missing. It's the one on the left right above the "Repair" targets.

#1516 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Funny you should say that - I "auditioned" this and the other alt translite, and while you are correct the other one doesn't match up at all, this one absolutely does. The main flashers are behind the DW logo, the Tardis, the Daleks and the light show looks really really good. I really prefer the color scheme on this one better, too. I put a blue light under the blue thing in Davros' head (upper right) and it lines up perfectly. Really well done, this one.

There is no way the doctor who lights on the backboard line up with the logo on that translite. The lights are in the upper center of the backbackboard, and that DW logo isn't dead center. The flasher lines up with the logo, but you have an awesome light show going off behind a few planets.

IMG_0395 (resized).JPGIMG_0395 (resized).JPG

#1517 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

There is no way the doctor who lights on the backboard line up with the logo on that translite. The lights are in the upper center of the backbackboard, and that DW logo isn't dead center. The flasher lines up with the logo, but you have an awesome light show going off behind a few planets.

I'll post a video; I do think it looks good

#1518 6 years ago

Took this a little while ago. It's hard to hold the phone and play with one hand!!

#1519 6 years ago

It's a good looking translite (one in a swap box would be great) but the light show simply doesn't line up IMO. But it's my opinion, so it doesn't matter if you are happy.

#1520 6 years ago

I wish they'd do a new version of this machine with the latest gen of dr's

#1521 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

It's a good looking translite (one in a swap box would be great) but the light show simply doesn't line up IMO. But it's my opinion, so it doesn't matter if you are happy.

I really wish I could have found the original design for the Bally head, and had that remade, but who knows how that would work with the light show. The production translite was done at the total last minute; I've always hated it! Lol

Love your avatar btw!

#1522 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I really wish I could have found the original design for the Bally head, and had that remade, but who knows how that would work with the light show. The production translite was done at the total last minute; I've always hated it! Lol
Love your avatar btw!

It would be time consuming, but relatively easy to make the light show fit an alternate translite. Just move the symbol lite show to,the center, and enlarge the spacing to fit the logo. Any GI socket could be moved to wherever (or use strips from comet, and eliminate all GI sockets that aren't needed to lite the strips) and move flashers as needed.

#1523 6 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Cab looks great on yours!

Thanks. Colors are solid, the left edge is a bit beat up and there is a bit of damage just under the launch button but other than that I am very happy with it. The playfield is very good as well.

Quoted from pinballjah:

Just joined the club as well.

Welcome fellow newcomer! Post some pics.

Is the translite from rdoyle1978's game available anywhere? I've only seen the other one.

#1524 6 years ago

Well holy crap. Even the sound is different?? I'm not sure I like that or not.

#1525 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Well holy crap. Even the sound is different?? I'm not sure I like that or not.

You can change it back with a couple presses of a button. I had the hardest time making out what the heck the 7th doctor was saying, and even though I grew up with Tom Baker, my family likes new Who a LOT more. So I decided to work on new sounds with the PinSound board. I really like it better - the sound is *so* much more clear, and I took quotes that weren't too specific, but still make sense in the context of the game (like when you hit a ball into the MPF, the 9th doctor says "see? An invitation. it says right here.. The Doctor - plus One", telling you to add a second ball.)

I added a ton of sounds, but you tend to hear the same ones at the beginning of the game. When the doctor makes it through the 3rd round of Daleks chasing him, instead of "I do not mind the brisk pace or a Dalek or two - it's the obstacles..."
the 10th doctor says "Nah, nothing here. Well! Nothing dangerous. . (pause) You know what, I'll just have a quick scan "

sometimes he will say "Who ya gonna call?" and you hear Rose say "Ghostbusters!", which was in an actual episode. That was my little Pat Lawlor-type pinball callback reference. I just thought it was funny.

I also had my son record some of the Dalek call-outs just for fun, and processed them with the same sound effect the BBC uses now - and by sheer coincidence almost all of them are the same quotes that the topper yells out. I have the game set to 'frequent' on the AM sounds - So if I leave the game on we hear my son (VERY LOUDLY) asking "Where is the Doctor?!"

Not for the purist, but you can just change the translite out and hit a couple buttons and you're back to the original game. There's lots of examples of the original game out there - and they are great! But I wanted to see what we could do without a complete redesign

#1526 6 years ago
Quoted from noahd42:

Thanks. Colors are solid, the left edge is a bit beat up and there is a bit of damage just under the launch button but other than that I am very happy with it. The playfield is very good as well.

Welcome fellow newcomer! Post some pics.
Is the translite from rdoyle1978's game available anywhere? I've only seen the other one.

I scoured the internet for weeks because I didn't like the more common one, but I knew I would prefer a different one than the original. I think I ended up ordering it off of ebay in the UK or something. I will have to check, it was hard to find

EDIT: Ok I guess not that hard to find. here it is on regular old US ebay: ebay.com link: Doctor Who Pinball Alternate Translite

I did have to cut it down a bit in size to fit, so be aware of that; it was a larger dimension than even the glass, and it needed to be cut slightly smaller than the glass to fit

#1527 6 years ago

My dr.who have diamond plate decal on playfield is it rare or every dr who has it?

read somewhere that earlier versions got it , so idk?! does it increase value of pin ?

pf looks so nice consider how old machine is

IMG_6154 (resized).JPGIMG_6154 (resized).JPG

IMG_6155 (resized).JPGIMG_6155 (resized).JPG

IMG_6157 (resized).JPGIMG_6157 (resized).JPG

IMG_6158 (resized).JPGIMG_6158 (resized).JPG

IMG_6159 (resized).JPGIMG_6159 (resized).JPG

IMG_6160 (resized).JPGIMG_6160 (resized).JPG

IMG_6161 (resized).JPGIMG_6161 (resized).JPG

#1528 6 years ago

All doctor who pins have factory clearcoated. I believe they all have the DP logo, since it is an earlier WPC era game, but I could be wrong.

#1529 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

All doctor who pins have factory clearcoated. I believe they all have the DP logo, since it is an earlier WPC era game, but I could be wrong.

I think you're right on that. My Dr Who has the Diamond Plate coating too. I read that they started doing that from the last of the BOP machines on.

#1530 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I think you're right on that. My Dr Who has the Diamond Plate coating too. I read that they started doing that from the last of the BOP machines on.

Yep that is correct. Not all diamond plate PFs actually say "diamond plate" on them, but they are all cleared.

#1531 6 years ago

Got mine cleaned up today and installed the Cliffy on the time expander edge. Looks great.

My mini playfield does sag a bit to the right and I already got a ball stuck on the cliffy. I had a few get stuck before I installed it on the right side so I'll have to level off the machine a bit better and see what happens otherwise that mechanism will be my next project.

My playfield also says diamond plate on it.

Already set the grand champ score on it.

20170712_200724 (resized).jpg20170712_200724 (resized).jpg
20170711_171650 (resized).jpg20170711_171650 (resized).jpg
20170711_171645 (resized).jpg20170711_171645 (resized).jpg

#1532 6 years ago

How does the ball launch VUK plastic attach to the solenoid? Did mine snap? Reglue or buy a new part? Thanks!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#1533 6 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

How does the ball launch VUK plastic attach to the solenoid? Did mine snap? Reglue or buy a new part? Thanks!

Not the first time I have seen them break.
Glueing won't work.
There's a lot of force in that kicker.
You need a new one.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=A-15580

#1534 6 years ago
Quoted from noahd42:

Got mine cleaned up today and installed the Cliffy on the time expander edge. Looks great.
My mini playfield does sag a bit to the right and I already got a ball stuck on the cliffy. I had a few get stuck before I installed it on the right side so I'll have to level off the machine a bit better and see what happens otherwise that mechanism will be my next project.
My playfield also says diamond plate on it.
Already set the grand champ score on it.

Good luck working on the mini playfield. I say that not because it's impossible, but it is a (one-time) significant time investment. Make sure you find the brilliant guide by Rich Fazio ("Pinballfaz") which has I'm sure hundreds of hours of research into it, and has helped countless DW owners fix the dang thing.

I futzed with it for at least a month before breaking down and completely taking it apart and *cleaning* it, which basically turned out to be the whole problem. The thing has to be dialed in exactly straight in order to not have that sag or the weird sudden drops when it's going up and down.

#1535 6 years ago
Quoted from noahd42:

Get some good photos and video of the action. The tilt is not uncommon.
Let's make sure all the parts are there and installed correctly. Then it's a matter of tweaking the brackets.
faz

#1536 6 years ago

Oh, and if you are going to start a tech discussion. I'd recommend using a thread I created to concentrate MPF issues or start your own.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-mpf-warning-keep-hands-away-from-mini-playfield-tech-club

faz

#1537 6 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

I had that break recently. The plastics piece is secured to the metal part of the armature with a roll pin. Seems to break off at the weak spot near the roll pin.

As a temp fix, I was able to gorilla glue the pieces back together. It held for several weeks and finally broke when the new one arrived. I glued it again and kept it as an emergency spare.

#1538 6 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

I had that break recently. The plastics piece is secured to the metal part of the armature with a roll pin. Seems to break off at the weak spot near the roll pin.
As a temp fix, I was able to gorilla glue the pieces back together. It held for several weeks and finally broke when the new one arrived. I glued it again and kept it as an emergency spare.

I had a similar VUK pin/piston break on my Monster Bash - I was able to use JBWeld to reattach it, and it held for months until I finally just bought a proper replacement. Never broke again though; I still think it would have held indefinitely.

#1539 6 years ago

As Dr Who is now a blonde Time Lady, I'm hoping the translite can be modified

#1540 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

As Dr Who is now a blonde Time Lady, I'm hoping the translite can be modified

Depends if that chameleon circuit is fixed ... but then again...survey says, 'no'.

The game is dated and IMO should be modded in that context. There's plenty of toys/crap you can add to a DW to make it fun using the stories of the first seven doctors. When I see mods of more current episodes/Doctors I can't get into it.

It would be like adding Chris Pine on STTNG.... NOPE!

EDIT: Dated in a "GOOD" way
faz

#1541 6 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

I reattached it with GOOP. That stuff is super strong and flexible so it will probably hold for awhile. Too bad PBL doesnt carry this part.

#1542 6 years ago

Bay Area has it for $14. The others seem to be $18-20 for it.

#1543 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Depends if that chameleon circuit is fixed ... but then again...survey says, 'no'.
The game is dated and IMO should be modded in that context. There's plenty of toys/crap you can add to a DW to make it fun using the stories of the first seven doctors. When I see mods of more current episodes/Doctors I can't get into it.
It would be like adding Chris Pine on STTNG.... NOPE!
EDIT: Dated in a "GOOD" way
faz

I've modded my DW in ways that violate what faz is recommending - but really, he's right. You'll NEVER be able to keep the game up with the current doctors. OR at least it would be quite expensive! the alternate translites, while not perfect, at least minimize the 7 original doctors, if that is of concern. I know it's heresy, but I really hate the translite (as I'm sure I've said several times... sorry for being a broken record )

#1544 6 years ago

So I was playing a few games today and mid game my left flipper stopped working. I took a look under the hood and I didn't see any loose connections or bad wires. The upper left flipper was still working no problem. Any advice or anything I should look for?

I can snap some pics in a bit.

#1545 6 years ago

Could be your flipper opto board. Swap the left and right and see if the issue stays or follows with the board.

#1546 6 years ago

Here are the pics. This piece does not look right. The metal looks like it is too bent and stays stuck when the flipper is activated.

I'm a bit out of my element on flippers so that's all I've got so far. The right flipper is completely straight and moves fine. I'm not sure if this is common with age or wear and tear.

20170721_222724 (resized).jpg20170721_222724 (resized).jpg

20170721_222702 (resized).jpg20170721_222702 (resized).jpg

#1547 6 years ago

Thinking about putting new decals on my Dr Who. Anyone know if they make alternative decals for this game anywhere? I am not a big fan of the original decals.

#1548 6 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Thinking about putting new decals on my Dr Who. Anyone know if they make alternative decals for this game anywhere? I am not a big fan of the original decals.

I have looked for quite a while, and never found any. You may want to email retro Refurbs and see if Pete has any sources for art

#1549 6 years ago

Found the culprit. This little guy keeps popping out and then the whole mechanism fails. Not sure on the best way to secure him back in. Doesn't appear to be soldered or anything on the other flippers.

20170722_130604 (resized).jpg20170722_130604 (resized).jpg

20170722_125026 (resized).jpg20170722_125026 (resized).jpg

#1550 6 years ago
Quoted from noahd42:

Found the culprit. This little guy keeps popping out and then the whole mechanism fails. Not sure on the best way to secure him back in. Doesn't appear to be soldered or anything on the other flippers.

Both of the things you've highlighted are issues. The leaf switch can't make consistent contact when bent back like that and the roll pin obviously needs to stay in. You can bend the switch back if you want. However, I'd recommend buying a flipper rebuild kit. They're around $25 on pinball life and contain all the parts that are causing you trouble for both the left and right flippers. If you don't want to do any work yourself you can buy a completely built (including mounting bracket) flipper assembly for $40.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

£ 110.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/31?hl=kronlar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.