(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,105 posts
  • 307 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by pinballjah
  • Topic is favorited by 143 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 878 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Backbox Lamp board 2 10 watt res board (resized).jpg
Backbox Lamp board wiring (resized).jpg
20191016_222512 (resized).jpg
20191016_222317 (resized).jpg
20191016_222505 (resized).jpg
20191016_222317 (resized).jpg
20191015_223052.jpg
20191015_223047.jpg
20191015_223040.jpg
20191015_223035.jpg
Screenshot_20191010-105732_Snapseed (resized).jpg
20191009_205304 (resized).jpg
20191009_152753 (resized).jpg
20191009_102659 (resized).jpg
20191009_110153 (resized).jpg
20191009_110207 (resized).jpg

There are 3105 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 63.
#1002 3 years ago

I've now been in contact with the owner of the playfield.
Looks like we might be able to work out a deal!
Thanks you so much for finding that.

#1003 3 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

I've now been in contact with the owner of the playfield.
Looks like we might be able to work out a deal!
Thanks you so much for finding that.

I have chatted to the owner in the past on the Aussie forums.
Sounds like a nice guy, hope it works out for both of you.

#1004 3 years ago

Man that is gorgeous! I've got the same issue with my inserts and I wonder if CPR will ever tackle this one.

#1005 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Yup, ColorDMD is the way to go. It's a high pricetag, but includes the file for the Dr Who where they've painstakenly hand colored all the frames, it's easy to install and is a major upgrade to the game. The more DIY options run about $250 for the parts, have more assembly required, and then the color pallet is more approximated based on 4 colors you choose. Those work great for pins where no one has or is going to create full color for them (like say most Sega or Data East titles), but you want the real deal if it's available.
» YouTube video

Thanks for the video. I'm definitely going to save up for a color dmd. Perhaps it will be a father's day present for myself.

#1006 3 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

Man that is gorgeous! I've got the same issue with my inserts and I wonder if CPR will ever tackle this one.

Good news I bought the playfield and he's already shipped it
Just watching the tracking # everyday waiting and prepping DW for its new pF .

#1007 3 years ago

DW pF has arrived !!

Look at the great job he did packing the playfield.
As a bonus I believe this is the exact DW featured on HSA website before/after
http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa111314drwho.html

Thanks you Toads for pointing me in the right direction.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#1008 3 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

DW pF has arrived !!
Look at the great job he did packing the playfield.
As a bonus I believe this is the exact DW featured on HSA website before/after
http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa111314drwho.html
Thanks you Toads for pointing me in the right direction.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Now that looks like a nice playfield!

#1010 3 years ago

got a question--I sent my sound and mainboard to get repaired after I killed it (there is a previous post on this...lol)

....I put it all back together and fired it up. the power comes on, but the display board on the head is just random pixles, and get no sound--doesn't seem to be booting up.
I think I have all the connections right back on the boards as I labeled most on for non-obvious sized ones.

do you think I killed the CPU/board? and/or display board too?

just looking for some expertise before I send them in
might be able to get a picture of the display, but it seems to be random pixels over the entire surface--maybe 20% of the dots randomly lit.

#1011 3 years ago
Quoted from Cleatus:

got a question--I sent my sound and mainboard to get repaired after I killed it (there is a previous post on this...lol)
....I put it all back together and fired it up. the power comes on, but the display board on the head is just random pixles, and get no sound--doesn't seem to be booting up.
I think I have all the connections right back on the boards as I labeled most on for non-obvious sized ones.
do you think I killed the CPU/board? and/or display board too?
just looking for some expertise before I send them in
might be able to get a picture of the display, but it seems to be random pixels over the entire surface--maybe 20% of the dots randomly lit.

First thing to check is the alignment of the pins on the ribbon cables.
Both symptoms can be caused be being off just by one pin, top or bottom.
Use a mini flashlight and inspect.
The data is routed from the MPU, particularly on the top ribbon cable through daisy chain from the sound board to the DMD display board.
Reseating is the second check.
Third is rechecking if you actually reconnected all the connectors in the first place.

It is unlikely you damaged the DMD, but if you stated that your pre-WPC PDB and PSB was damaged either by reconnecting the wrong IDC connectors you can send higher than designed voltage back to areas of the MPU.
I have no idea what was done that damaged the boards in the first place without detailed information, therefore it is difficult at best to provide assistance on the electronics.

#1012 3 years ago

Almost all of my DMD related problems with WPC titles have been connector problems with the cable being plugged in wrong, needing to be replaced, cold solder joints or a board connector needing to be re-pinned. The advice right above me is spot on.

#1013 3 years ago

good news!!!

after reseating/checking plugs, I got the display to work!!! honestly, I don't know what I did as I seemed to put the plugs back where I found them--without moving over onto missed pins
]
BUT....the sound doesn't work. I get the usual pop when it fires up, then about 20 very fast "tics" out of the speakers then nothing.
I get the pop when turning off too.

hmmm-- kinda wondering about that data cable to the sound board....

any ideas on this one?

#1014 3 years ago

update
fter goofing with the ribbon cable...it DID boot correctly---once...and that stopped working a min. into the game.

I figured it was a bad cable. got a new one on the way

hope that fixes it!!!

#1015 3 years ago
Quoted from Cleatus:

update
fter goofing with the ribbon cable...it DID boot correctly---once...and that stopped working a min. into the game.
I figured it was a bad cable. got a new one on the way
hope that fixes it!!!

Just to reiterate, if you did not catch it.

"Cold solder joints" and repinning.

If the game booted with the old ribbon cable properly with DMD and sound, its time to check the pins.
Why?
After 1-5 minutes the traces will heat up...

#1016 3 years ago

Looks like you are probably right Black knight.
got the new cable installed, booted up once with sound and it stopped working shortly after---like right after it gave me the "keep hands away from mini playfield" then nothing.
Restarted it and got the rapid clicks for a second then nothing.
I did send the sound board and "main" large board for repairs, and would hope that he looked at those pins at least.
Possibly bad pins on anoter board that connects to sound board with the ribbon cable?

If it is, can I visually see the issue? would it be something the average joe blow could fix?

#1017 3 years ago
Quoted from Cleatus:

If it is, can I visually see the issue?

If you have a proper set of jeweler glasses or magnifying glass, yes.
Colder solder joints are "gray" with micro cracks, sunken solder joints, or combination of both.

Quoted from Cleatus:

would it be something the average joe blow could fix?

If you have the proper temperature controlled solder/desolder station and moderate experience, yes.
Radio Shack soldering irons are not going to cut it here.
It is not overly technical, just a keen eye, and patience.
I am not sure I can recommend it here.

1 week later
#1018 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

Here's an updated Youtube link for my Pinsound mixes. I also just finished a new one. Doctor Who Meets Metal.
Doctorin' the Tardis
» YouTube video
Doctor Who Meets Metal
» YouTube video

MUST HAVE!!!

1 week later
#1019 3 years ago

Has anyone installed LEDOCD in their DW?

#1020 3 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Has anyone installed LEDOCD in their DW?

I thought about it since I just installed nothing but LEDs in mine. The only thing that bothered me was the attract mode. I found an option to turn off Fancy attract mode and now the GI just stays on all the time. Also, I patched my rom with a patcher tool that eliminates any ghosting. So I think I'm good. I do have an LEDOCD in my Sorcerer and think it's great in that game.

#1021 3 years ago

Finished another one PinSound mix. I call this the Modern Mix. Music from the 50th Anniversary Collection. Almost all of the tracks are from the modern era of Doctor Who. Tracks used: Doctor Who XI (theme), I am the Doctor, Evolution of the Daleks, The Futurekind, Up the Shard, A Machine That Makes Machines, Tardis Tries to Take Off. I'll upload the mix to the Pinsound site soon.

#1022 3 years ago

Anybody on here looking to sell their dr who? I'm looking
Thanks guys

#1023 3 years ago

I thought about it since I just installed nothing but LEDs in mine. The only thing that bothered me was the attract mode. I found an option to turn off Fancy attract mode and now the GI just stays on all the time. Also, I patched my rom with a patcher tool that eliminates any ghosting. So I think I'm good. I do have an LEDOCD in my Sorcerer and think it's great in that game.

I have trouble finding any useful information online about no-ghost patching, and they don't seem to sell ROMS with the patch for whatever reason.

#1024 3 years ago

The licensee forbids sales of patched roms. So, you have to do it yourself. Use an eprom burner and a UV eraser, read your chip, apply the patch, blank your chip, then burn your chip with the patched rom.

The patch program is available on this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-wpc-led-ghosting-rom-patch-software-please

#1025 3 years ago

I finally got the playfield installed and spent the last 2 days tweaking everything.
I found that someone had soldered the GI light in the Time Expander to the right mini opto eject.
That caused the time expander to register all the bottom door hits without actually making any door hit.
Is this a known thing or did some yahoo make this up?
So now the time expander works perfect after fixing that "mod"
Even did the Light board install after putting in color dmd.
Doctor Who is an Amazing pinball Game!!

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#1026 3 years ago

There's no GI lighting on the MPF.

Can you specifically state what wires are hooked up to what? Lock lite?

faz

#1027 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

There's no GI lighting on the MPF.
Can you specifically state what wires are hooked up to what? Lock lite?
faz

There is one GI behind the lock target.
I do have a pic of the wire before removing it.
Plus the connector white/green going to the light.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#1028 3 years ago

Whoops... sorry, I would have thought that was not GI.... it's not always on; it turns off during game play (CPU Controlled).

So, the light is soldered into the opto emitter of the lock eject?

Opto emitters are always on....so, when this lamp goes off, it would register a ball lock. Is that the behavior you are seeing?
faz

#1029 3 years ago

Finished another one PinSound mix. I call this the Modern Mix. Music from the 50th Anniversary Collection. Almost all of the tracks are from the modern era of Doctor Who. Tracks used: Doctor Who XI (theme), I am the Doctor, Evolution of the Daleks, The Futurekind, Up the Shard, A Machine That Makes Machines, Tardis Tries to Take Off. I'll upload the mix to the Pinsound site soon.
» YouTube video

This is awesome. Could you upload it to the Pinsound forum?

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=25

Or just PM me a download link. I'd be forever in your debt- now, previously and in the future

I recently downloaded your Doctorin' The Tardis mix. The best yet on Pinsound, and we funked out on this. Superb job!

#1030 3 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

I finally got the playfield installed and spent the last 2 days tweaking everything.
I found that someone had soldered the GI light in the Time Expander to the right mini opto eject.
That caused the time expander to register all the bottom door hits without actually making any door hit.
Is this a known thing or did some yahoo make this up?
So now the time expander works perfect after fixing that "mod"
Even did the Light board install after putting in color dmd.
Doctor Who is an Amazing pinball Game!!
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

How do you get the lights under the DMD to work? When I had ColorDMD installed on Dr Who, the chap said the mod for lights underneath had to be removed as they didn't fit with the large LCD. I was thinking the LED smaller display would work later, but you seem to have the LCD color display working now??

#1031 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

How do you get the lights under the DMD to work? When I had ColorDMD installed on Dr Who, the chap said the mod for lights underneath had to be removed as they didn't fit with the large LCD. I was thinking the LED smaller display would work later, but you seem to have the LCD color display working now??

There is a link to instructions on the colordmd website. You just solder leds directly to the board.

#1032 3 years ago

» YouTube video

Excellent job! Now I want PinSound for my Dr. Who!

#1033 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Whoops... sorry, I would have thought that was not GI.... it's not always on; it turns off during game play (CPU Controlled).

All of the GI blinks on and off on DW. If you use the default attract mode it is constantly flashing.

#1034 3 years ago

Thank you!

I just uploaded it to the Pinsound site. Give it a few days and it will appear after they approve it.

Quoted from Pinballs:

This is awesome. Could you upload it to the Pinsound forum?
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=25
Or just PM me a download link. I'd be forever in your debt- now, previously and in the future
I recently downloaded your Doctorin' The Tardis mix. The best yet on Pinsound, and we funked out on this. Superb job!

Quoted from Da_Topper:

Excellent job! Now I want PinSound for my Dr. Who!

#1035 3 years ago

I got this from Pinsound today & installed it. Works great, though the voice call-outs are a little quiet vs the music volume. Is there an easy way to adjust these i.e. increase voice volume?

#1036 3 years ago

This probably varies from game to game based on each one's setup and speakers. To answer your question...

Yes. Put a text file called "gain.txt" in the "voice" directory for the mix on your USB stick. Then, on line one, just put 10 and save it. That gives a +10 db for the voices. You can adjust the number to your liking.

Save it to \audio\Doctor_Who_Modern V1.0\voice

#1037 3 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

Tasteful LED use, don't add anything.
I wish Pfutz had pushed harder on better use of dots, this is not Scott's best work.
There literally are over a dozen games that were iconic in animations.

#1038 3 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

There is a link to instructions on the colordmd website. You just solder leds directly to the board.

You don't even need to do that, just mount the color DMD higher, you can leave the original pcb that lights the doctors in. I'm sure it's further up in this thread what people have done.

#1039 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Tasteful LED use, don't add anything.
I wish Pfutz had pushed harder on better use of dots, this is not Scott's best work.
There literally are over a dozen games that were iconic in animations.

Agree that Dr. Who won't win any awards for dots, but OTOH, weren't DMD's only about a year on the scene at that point? How do the 7 B/W DMD games that predate it, hold up? Dots were still pretty bleeding edge at the time... and not all of these games are well regarded in their own right

1991-05 Gilligan's Island
1991-07 Terminator 2: Judgment Day
1991-08 The Party Zone
1991-08 Hurricane
1992-02 The Getaway: High Speed II
1992-03 The Addams Family
1992-07 Black Rose
1992-09 Doctor Who

Man, coming up close to the heels of Addam's Family, tho... not sure Addams' DMD was quantitatively better, but that was a tough act to follow.

#1040 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Agree that Dr. Who won't win any awards for dots,

I donno.... I kinda like the DW dots. Furthermore the ColorDMD version of the dots are pretty freaking sweet.

Given the expense of the moving topper and a ColorDMD is about the same... I get far more enjoyment out of the ColorDMD.
faz

#1041 3 years ago

Agreed. How often are you going to look at the topper moving while you are playing anyway? The ColorDMD really rocks and updates the feel of the pin.

#1042 3 years ago

I really like my colourDMD dots especially video mode the only time I really get to see the action I only see the topper at the end when my time is over.........after the laughter ......

#1043 3 years ago

Oh yes, the color DMD is wonderful and I have it on my machine. It really breathes life into what was hidden! Which kind of illustrates my point in that the original dots were often a bit clunky, and could have benefitted from more nuance with shading and detail. But what's there fits the game well for the most part.

I like the concept of the wobble Dalek but I agree that's more for the amusement of spectators. I hardly ever see him while I'm playing. For $400 the color DMD is the way better value. If the wobble heads were closer to $100 it might fall into "why not?" territory.

#1044 3 years ago

A status update on my Doctor Who. I bought it in 1996 for $400. It was considered "Undesirable" back then. 3 years later, a friend had a nice machine with a bad Time Expander. I had another friend that imported a bunch of machines back from Europe. He had 2 Doctor Whos. I tried to shop one of the games so it could be sold to a co-worker of mine but there were really bad hacks done to the wiring harness so I stopped and sold the other. My friend purchased the defective game and we parted it out (I know, we were evil). She got the parts to get her game going, I got a cabinet with no fade, and it ended up being free after we sold the remaining parts. So that was the long story about how I got an unfaded cabinet (for free).

Another friend Mark asked me what I wanted for my birthday in about 2002 and I told him I wanted the Dalek on my Doctor Who to move. He went out and bought a game (still a $700-800 game then) and started engineering it. I talked to Pfutz about it and he thought it would be cool. I told Mark we should make them to sell and we became one of the first Mods ever (Pinball Lizard had us beat with TZ parts). We have sold Wobble Head kits for many years now as they are requested and Mark has time to make them. And as many of you know, an inferior kit was sold and our "Wobble Head" name was used on it and we almost stopped making them forever. I painted my Dalek Gold and changed him a bit to be unique. I also put a blue LED in his eye stalk and made a front lens for it.

Another friend, Brian, bought a game from guy local to me and we picked it up and fixed the Time Expander optos until 3 in the morning. He's a very creative guy and made a new ramp flap with the DW logo on it.

I bought one of the alternate translites and put it in. There were two, a green one and a blue one. The green one made my Gold Dalek look better so I went with that one.

I was friends with James of Pinball Inc. and he used my Doctor Who to make new ramps. There are pictures someplace on Pinside of that.

A few years ago a somewhat local guy named Mark J. started coding the ColorDMD for Doctor Who. I have finally ordered a ColorDMD for my game.

I had talked to Wobblehead Mark about an idea I had for a generic board to replace sounds in pinball machines with other sounds. This had to be 10 years ago or more. We never got to it. I just got a PinSound board in the mail that does that exactly (it looks to be really well made incidentally).

I still have a problem with my Cliffy protector on the miniplayfield being bowed because of some damage to the wood on the mini playfield. New protectors are ordered and I got a CPR mini playfield for it.

I'm working on an extensive cabinet replacement on my BOP 2.0 but when it's done, I'll put the latest mods in my game and redo the mini playfield. It should be ready in time for the SFGE show in Atlanta in June. Pictures when it happens.

#1045 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Oh yes, the color DMD is wonderful and I have it on my machine. It really breathes life into what was hidden! Which kind of illustrates my point in that the original dots were often a bit clunky, and could have benefitted from more nuance with shading and detail. But what's there fits the game well for the most part.
I like the concept of the wobble Dalek but I agree that's more for the amusement of spectators. I hardly ever see him while I'm playing. For $400 the color DMD is the way better value. If the wobble heads were closer to $100 it might fall into "why not?" territory.

I know the moving head kit is expensive but it is hand built and very time consuming to manufacture. There are pictures of how much work is involved on Mark's site: http://www.basementarcade.com/arcade/drwho/MakingOf/index.html

You can't make THIS kit for $100 - there's more raw materials in it than that.

#1046 3 years ago

My son was fortunate enough to say those magic words "dad I want to restore a pinball machine". That pretty much gave him carte blanc on his pin which happened to be Doctor Who. I had only played Doctor Who once or twice before and dismissed the pin. I spoiled him like no other finding any and all things for his game. Its done and we play the hell out of it. The color DMD is a must ,the wobble head is great but not as important. I am coming to have a great appreciation for this game as we continue to learn its rules. We are talking about adding pinsound to it. We both dislike the original sound quality. He is responsible for that purchase if he wants it and I believe he will get it.

2016_pictures_026_(resized).JPG

2016_pictures_031_(resized).JPG

#1047 3 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

My son was fortunate enough to say those magic words "dad I want to restore a pinball machine".

"A new legacy is born".

#1048 3 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

My son was fortunate enough to say those magic words "dad I want to restore a pinball machine". That pretty much gave him carte blanc on his pin which happened to be Doctor Who. I had only played Doctor Who once or twice before and dismissed the pin. I spoiled him like no other finding any and all things for his game. Its done and we play the hell out of it. The color DMD is a must ,the wobble head is great but not as important. I am coming to have a great appreciation for this game as we continue to learn its rules. We are talking about adding pinsound to it. We both dislike the original sound quality. He is responsible for that purchase if he wants it and I believe he will get it.

2016_pictures_026_(resized).JPG2016_pictures_031_(resized).JPG

It is a beautiful machine for sure, he did a great job! Doctor Who is such an amazing and honestly kind of unassuming pin. I always hear people say that they didn't like Jackpot/Pinbot so they won't like DW. DW plays nothing like those games IMO and the scoring strategies are a lot of fun as well. Several different ways to approach this game with what is seemingly a sparse layout.

#1049 3 years ago

SKYPILOT,
The blue legs, lock down bar, and rails look awesome. I will have to do the same.
Did you use krylon?

#1050 3 years ago

No all those parts were powder coated

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 3105 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 63.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside