(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 132.
#951 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

I've finished Doctor Who Disco for Pinsound. Check it out. Also got Doctorin' the Tardis v1.1 out on the Pinsound site.

Is it just me? The first thing that pops in my mind is the dico scene "spoof" from airplane. (need gif enabled in pinside settings to see)

airplane-disco-dancing-o_(resized).pngairplane-disco-dancing-o_(resized).png

#952 8 years ago

NM, looks like that option was also removed... No gifs allowed at all anymore.

#953 8 years ago

Ha ha, I know.

This song was #25 on the UK charts back in 1978.

#954 8 years ago

That is such a funky sound I really like it! "Stayin Alive" how cool.

#955 8 years ago

Hi-Hat

#956 8 years ago

Love the disco theme and the Doctorin' the Tardis themes! Keep up the great work!

#957 8 years ago

I got mine about a year ago. I always see posts about people hitting a bunch of loops. The most I have ever been able to get is 7. I noticed that the flap at the entrance to mine is bowed up in the middle. Is this a common problem? Would making this flat help me out? I'm a decent player so that couldn't be the problem.

#958 8 years ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

I got mine about a year ago. I always see posts about people hitting a bunch of loops. The most I have ever been able to get is 7. I noticed that the flap at the entrance to mine is bowed up in the middle. Is this a common problem? Would making this flat help me out? I'm a decent player so that couldn't be the problem.

Mine is bowed in the middle, too.

#959 8 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Restoring my second one now. The first one was a salvage machine that was ready for the junk pile that I brought back to life. Shortly after finishing I found a better one that needed restoring. Almost finished and loving it.
Tom Baker was my favorite, since he was who I grew up with.

20131231_105732.jpg
20131231_095453.jpg

I have an 8-ball Deluxe i would like to restore. Where do I start? Is this something you do as a business?

#960 8 years ago
Quoted from Jd-8ball:

I have an 8-ball Deluxe i would like to restore. Where do I start? Is this something you do as a business?

Depends on how define restore. I don't do it as a business. Just a hobby. Some machines I've taken every nut and bolt off, stripped the cabinet and repainted / decaled. One of my DWs I painted the cabinet over the decals as needed. The other I stripped and sanded the cabinet and redecaled.

There are serveral guys on here that do restorations, including high end depending on how much money you want to spend.

#961 8 years ago
Quoted from mjenison:

Mine is bowed in the middle, too.

Do you have a hard time getting the ball up that ramp consistently?

#962 8 years ago

Guys with the bowed entrance to the ramp: Post a few pics. Sounds like your ramp may have warped a bit.

#963 8 years ago

Here is a picture of mine. I think this may be some of my problem. I also think my upper left flipper is weak. Watching some of the videos it looks like the ball shoots around the loop fast. When I do get the ball to go around on mine, it is slower. I have had the ramp out of the machine before and the flap is flat. When you install it and the flap pushes down on the playfield, it humps up in the middle.

DWramp_(resized).jpgDWramp_(resized).jpg

#964 8 years ago

I was getting slower shots around the ramp, then I rebuilt my upper left flipper. Now it zips around there! I did put a new coil in too but only because the existing one got partially melted on the ID. I'd try a flipper rebuild if you haven't done one in awhile.

#965 8 years ago

Thank you FAZ. Your instructions have been perfect so far, for disassembling the MPF.

As I have been going along, I have found of what looks like saw dust and metal shavings all gunked up in all the grease.
John C.

20160203_112623_(resized).jpg20160203_112623_(resized).jpg

#966 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

I have found of what looks like saw dust and metal shavings all gunked up in all the grease.

Looks like someone tried to burn the grease off with a flame thrower. Yikes!

You got it this far. Take the whole thing apart, scrub it clean and spray the whole thing with silicone... wipe off excess.

Don't add extra grease, oil or lithim.
faz

#968 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Looks like someone tried to burn the grease off with a flame thrower. Yikes!
You got it this far. Take the whole thing apart, scrub it clean and spray the whole thing with silicone... wipe off excess.
Don't add extra grease, oil or lithim.
faz

I have found something that resembles an epoxy stuck on one of the rollers. Perhaps the previous owner had glued something above the MPF and it dribbled down.

There also seems to be some wear at the outside of one of the inside rails. It is maybe only a quarter of a millimeter. Should I be concerned?

1454644659936183083957_(resized).jpg1454644659936183083957_(resized).jpg

#969 8 years ago

WOW! That game has seen a lot of action.

My guess is the bracket got out of square (pigeon toed) pulling the rollers at a slight angle. Look at those cuts!

Well, when you get it back together correctly checking for square and for center (the cam) it should work fine.

faz

#970 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

WOW! That game has seen a lot of action.
My guess is the bracket got out of square (pigeon toed) pulling the rollers at a slight angle. Look at those cuts!
Well, when you get it back together correctly checking for square and for center (the cam) it should work fine.
faz

One of the inside rollers was not moving. Looks like for many plays. I am guessing that hardened playfield wax may be the culprit.

#971 8 years ago

It really does not need to "roll"... it's just a guide to travel up / down the slot. But pushing a car uphill with the parking brake off is easier

faz

#972 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

I've finished Doctor Who Disco for Pinsound. Check it out. Also got Doctorin' the Tardis v1.1 out on the Pinsound site.
» YouTube video

Way to go pinballshark. This is totally getting me pumped. Reminds me of the band justice

#973 8 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

I was getting slower shots around the ramp, then I rebuilt my upper left flipper. Now it zips around there! I did put a new coil in too but only because the existing one got partially melted on the ID. I'd try a flipper rebuild if you haven't done one in awhile.

I have the parts on order to rebuild all 3 flippers. I will update with the results.

#974 8 years ago

Wow! My Youtube video went from about 50 views to 6200 in a few days!

#975 8 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Way to go pinballshark. This is totally getting me pumped. Reminds me of the band justice

Thank you!

#976 8 years ago

It is with a heavy heart I write this post...

I have removed the MPF, with the guidance of FAZ's MPF instruction manual. I have spent the last two weeks making sure I have followed his instructions to the letter. As I cleaned the rails within an inch of its life, I have discovered some major wear damage. Yet, I forged ahead hoping that the wear on the tracks was result of the MPF getting stuck not the cause.

Now, that everything has been cleaned, re-lubed, reassembled, and the MPF tests run. The MPF still gets stuck. Thefore, my biggest dread must be true. The severe wear damage to the rail creates too much play and allows the MPF to get stuck.

If I can not find a proper replacement rail, I will have to find someone who can manufacturer one.

detail_(resized).jpgdetail_(resized).jpg

#977 8 years ago

Look at my document. Page 18 (Figure 27/28).

If it's binding on itself the most likely cause is the cam off center.
Another cause is a warped bracket / cam.

I'm working with someone right now. He pulled the brackets/motor off and we took it one step at a time. Got the brackets on a bench and after looking at some video we were able to resolve the problem.

How's it binding? In the machine or on the bench?
Can you get some video?
faz

#978 8 years ago

After a restless night sleep, I was going to spend the morning treating the Doctor. I turned it on, with the intent of running the MPF test again. Yet out of habit and pure muscle memory I hit the start button before I got the key in the coin door.

At first I thought " oh, poop", but it went through its MPF diagnostic/alignment routine. AND NOTHING WENT WRONG???

So, I started to play. Then I played another. Then another. Then another. Next I knew I played for almost an hour and a half without a single issue.
?????

Did the Doctor banish what ever time manipulating, transgender dimensional, alien race that was determined to take over my Pinball Machine?
Thank you Doctor and the Gallifreyan High Council President, FAZ.

Prydonian_(resized).jpgPrydonian_(resized).jpg

#979 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

Did the Doctor banish what ever time manipulating, transgender dimensional, alien race that was determined to take over my Pinball Machine?

OOPS!
it was supposed to say, "...transdimensional, alien race..."
Silly autocorrect.

#980 8 years ago

Oooooh... The Deadly Assassin! Great Episode!
faz

#981 8 years ago

Are you Effing kidding me?
A one in a million shot.
It is not like I was having a hard enough time with the MPF already.

20160207_195850_001_(resized).jpg20160207_195850_001_(resized).jpg

#982 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

A one in a million shot.

Actually, it's happened to me quite a few times.

Once on a route game... the bar owner was pissed that I was "messing with the game".... I explained that I just saved him a $100 repair.... he bought me a beer
faz

#983 8 years ago

Hey all, wanted to chime in real quick and let you know I showed this pin some love on my site by adding some new custom apron cards. This is actually one of my absolute favorite machines, so these were really fun to make. Download is free over @ http://pinballboy.com/rulecards/doctor-who-v1

DoctorWhoV1Ref_(resized).pngDoctorWhoV1Ref_(resized).png

#984 8 years ago

I thought you guys might like this pic...

Who-8_(resized).jpgWho-8_(resized).jpg

#985 8 years ago

That is a cool pic what is the character ?

#988 8 years ago

I think it is time for me to upgrade to a Color DMD.
Does anyone have any recommend websites? How much should I expect to pay? Anyone have any experience and advice for swapping them out?

#989 8 years ago
#990 8 years ago

I am missing some sort of post under the Cliffhanger & Whomobile ramps, just in front of the Tansmat pop bumpers. Could someone take a picture of theirs so I can order the correct piece?
Thanks

20160220_195254_(resized).jpg20160220_195254_(resized).jpg

20160220_195236_(resized).jpg20160220_195236_(resized).jpg

#991 8 years ago

Here you go

IMG_4330_(resized).JPGIMG_4330_(resized).JPG

#992 8 years ago

Thank you, Chipleader.
Apparently, am I not only missing a post, but I'm missing a rubber and have the wrong type of posts.
That would stop the ball from getting stuck there.
I have more work to do, I see.

#993 8 years ago

Chipleader,
Would you happen to know the size of the larger "rubber"?

#994 8 years ago

See page 2-48 of the manual. All the rubber locations/sizes are listed.

faz

#995 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

OOPS!
it was supposed to say, "...transdimensional, alien race..."
Silly autocorrect.

Well... judging from some of the occurrences in the more recent episodes, either phrase is essentially correct.

#996 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

I think it is time for me to upgrade to a Color DMD.
Does anyone have any recommend websites? How much should I expect to pay? Anyone have any experience and advice for swapping them out?

colordmd.com Perfect color solution. $399 and when you install it you can either put it high to avoid the Dr lights, or do the mod - easiest way to learn soldering!

#997 8 years ago

Yup, ColorDMD is the way to go. It's a high pricetag, but includes the file for the Dr Who where they've painstakenly hand colored all the frames, it's easy to install and is a major upgrade to the game. The more DIY options run about $250 for the parts, have more assembly required, and then the color pallet is more approximated based on 4 colors you choose. Those work great for pins where no one has or is going to create full color for them (like say most Sega or Data East titles), but you want the real deal if it's available.

#998 8 years ago

I'm getting so jealous of every Dw I see there is no wear on the inserts.
Mine are nasty but I've done my first playfield swap with funhouse.
Now I'm feeling pretty confident,i would love to upgrade my DW with a new playfield but can't find one anywhere
Anybody here have one that's Clearcoated that they could sell me?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#999 8 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

I'm getting so jealous of every DH I see there

You'll like DW even better... although Dirty Harry is nice too (sorry... could not resist)
faz

#1000 8 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

I'm getting so jealous of every DH I see there is no wear on the inserts.
Mine are nasty but I've done my first playfield swap with funhouse.
Now I'm feeling pretty confident,i would love to upgrade my DH with a new playfield but can't find one anywhere
Anybody here have one that's Clearcoated that they could sell me?

Up the road from me but a bit far for you I would think...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Doctor-Who-Pinball-Playfield-restored-/252296021651?hash=item3abe03c693:g:QzAAAOSwwPhWhmxk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 110.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.