(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 132.
#901 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Here's a pic of mine.
Tom.

image-438.jpg

My Doctor Who is missing this assembly. Anyone know where I can get one?

#902 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Sorry I've been away. This is by far one of my favorite threads on Pinside. During my restore the group here was invaluable. I can be a bit of a flake with pinball a lot of the time. I know I owe some people some free WHO stickers. Please send me an email at richmondpinball at gmail dot com
I'm selling some stuff and wanted to get an opinion on value and then first crack to this group. This is not an auction, I just want fair value.
I plan on attending ReplayFX and could bring them
would like to sell as a lot
NOS slings(that I can tell)
Pinbits Protector set. They made these from drawings I had done.
Repro Apron decals
Repro Target decals
Repro TE decal
Famed flyer
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Do you still have any of these items. I could use all of them, sadly.

#903 8 years ago

This is such a great game! Anyone have any LEDs ideas to brighten the playfield up some? Just seems like it's a dark game.. Any lighting mods?

#904 8 years ago

Thanks FAZ! I'm sure this will help immensely.

#905 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

My Doctor Who is missing this assembly. Anyone know where I can get one?

What assembly?

#906 8 years ago

I think he means the Dalek Release Bracket and Roller.

The bracket has been sold by Macro..... OUCH!

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15355

The roller is unobtainium, but you can pick up a nylon roller at a hardware store. It's 3/4" by 3/4"

faz

#907 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

The roller is unobtainium, but you can pick up a nylon roller at a hardware store. It's 3/4" by 3/4"
faz

You did great work on that guide.
I know a lot of collectors that have used it, instead of "scratching their head".
Bally should have included this document with the operator's manual 24 years ago...

#908 8 years ago

More to come on that front. I have another set of sections for testing the optos and motor/gear assemblies. No time

faz

#909 8 years ago

I was able to find it on Marco. I am missing the little reset arm that resets the Dalek on the bottom level of the mini-playfield.

Thank you.

#910 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

faz

Yes. Thank you FAZ. You rock.

#911 8 years ago

I am looking for a Roller Change Kit and a Main Bracket Assembly for the MPF and every website I have looked at is out of stock.
Does anyone have any extras or know who does?

#912 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

I am looking for a Roller Change Kit and a Main Bracket Assembly for the MPF

What's the issue with yours? Or is it missing?

#913 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

I am looking for a Roller Change Kit and a Main Bracket Assembly for the MPF and every website I have looked at is out of stock.
Does anyone have any extras or know who does?

When checking search under both dr who and doctor who.
They are available in Australia but the cost would kill it.

#914 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

What's the issue with yours? Or is it missing?

The mini-playfield keeps on binding or getting hung up on something. There is definitely something mechanical going on.

#915 8 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

When checking search under both dr who and doctor who.
They are available in Australia but the cost would kill it.

Can you send me a website address, because every place I've looked at over the last two days are "out of stock". When I call them, they don't think that they will ever get them back in stock, because their suppliers are out.

#916 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

The mini-playfield keeps on binding or getting hung up on something. There is definitely something mechanical going on.

I would take it apart, give everything a really good cleaning first. I bet the issue is not the rollers, but the frame is out of square (which is really common.)

#917 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I would take it apart, give everything a really good cleaning first. I bet the issue is not the rollers, but the frame is out of square (which is really common.)

Thanks you. You give me hope, DSuperBee.

#918 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

Thanks you. You give me hope, DSuperBee.

It is part of owning a Doctor Who. You will be working on the MPF sooner or later. It is a certainty, like death and taxes

#919 8 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

Can you send me a website address, because every place I've looked at over the last two days are "out of stock". When I call them, they don't think that they will ever get them back in stock, because their suppliers are out.

Here you go...

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=Doctor+who

#920 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

It is part of owning a Doctor Who. You will be working on the MPF sooner or later. It is a certainty, like death and taxes

I figured as much. The MPF certainly does take a beating.

#921 8 years ago

If you buy a new bracket it's going to be "bent". I got one from the Australia place and ended up returning it. They said all of them are bent...so if you expecting a nice, square bracket DO NOT buy one...they are no better than existing bracket.

And like others have said, rollers probably aren't the issue. It's probably just gummed up and misaligned. Search the thread--you may have to add a washer(s) to square these things up.

#922 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

+1 on this, or the cam is offset on the arbor. See section 4.1.2 Figure 27.

faz

#923 8 years ago

I can not how thankful I am of you all and this forum. You all have been exceptionally kind and helpful to a fellow Whovian Pinhead.

tumblr_inline_n57hj7uSZw1rd9df7_(resized).pngtumblr_inline_n57hj7uSZw1rd9df7_(resized).png

#924 8 years ago

MY DW is on the fritz. Starting to regret owning so many pins... Some day I may just sell it all and give up on this hobby. Just got done trouble shooting JM so pissed off to now start another. Borderline 16 pins for sale on pinside and will never come back.

#925 8 years ago

Pinball Arcade has launched a kickstarter to recreate this table digitally: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-doctor-who

I wonder if it will reach it's goal, it has 15 days to go, with just under 50% of funds raised.

#926 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

MY DW is on the fritz. Starting to regret owning so many pins... Some day I may just sell it all and give up on this hobby. Just got done trouble shooting JM so pissed off to now start another. Borderline 16 pins for sale on pinside and will never come back.

What is the issue?

#927 8 years ago

How much for T2, JD, and FT?

#928 8 years ago

Dont give up Jean-Luc!

Maybe someone local can help you out? As you fix more, you will learn more, and things will get faster and better for you.

Brian

#929 8 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Dont give up Jean-Luc!
Maybe someone local can help you out? As you fix more, you will learn more, and things will get faster and better for you.
Brian

Agree! Don't worry too much, it can be fixed

#930 8 years ago

"Progression of a Pinball Addict" - Stage 3
Review the list, it is just part of the collector lifecycle.
Go take a break and come back, even if it is for 3 weeks or more.
Before you do, read and try to learn more about potential problems.

Those that "tough it out" stay in the hobby.
Those that do not sell out.

#931 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

What is the issue?

Issue was, I was really drunk. Came home from our company holiday party and kept drinking. Then got to DW and it would play and restart. this morning, very hung over. I just ran a test on the opto's on the mini PF and the game runs fine now... I can never sell my collection I will always be a slave to pinball.

#932 8 years ago

I will always be a slave to pinball.

Nothing to see here.... move along!

faz

#933 8 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

you will learn more, and things will get faster and better for you.
Brian

Totally learning more and more. I have had to work on all 16 of my pins. From board work, to replacing magnets, optos, coils, flippers, diodes, chips, monitors, displays, assemblies.... really the list goes on and on. however, apparently when I am extremely drunk I don't have time to tinker and I just want to play lol.

#934 8 years ago

Basic Math:

Bad Idea = Liquor + sharp pointy tools + electricity

Seems like a good thing to avoid.
faz

#935 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Basic Math:
Bad Idea = Liquor + sharp pointy tools + electricity
Seems like a good thing to avoid.
faz

lol, I have been electrocuted a lot over the years. To be honest, really hard for a pin to really critically hurt you. However, touching the back of a CRT in my baby pac by accident while it is running... Still REALLY hurts

#936 8 years ago

Well, that all said. now that I am sober. The issue is back. Cycling over the optos did not flush a switch matrix issue out.
However, I narrowed down the problem. If I hit the left flipper. The game locks up for a sec.. reboots. After I eat something and feel less hung over I will look into the left flipper. Maybe the Fliptronics board is messing up or something wrong with the upper left coil.

#937 8 years ago

To be honest, really hard for a pin to really critically hurt you.

This is an inaccurate statement.
Extremely inaccurate.
More accidents just from that idea by more new collectors than anything, including tool usage.
Think about the number of people who do not even know what an "interlock" is on their machines, if applicable. A lot.

For example, I watched a primary capacitor on a power circuit board at a show blow up in person's face because he opted not to shut down the game and "thought it was safe".

He shorted the game, as it was still fully charged, it exploded, and was permanently blinded in one eye, and burned all over his face.

This is just one example.

With Doctor Who directly, technicians have had their fingers crushed on the mini playfield. The warning and interlock was ADDED later. Put a pencil in there it will snap effortlessly.

Ground shorts can kill, along with bad transformers or CRT discharges.
You experienced the last one, and were lucky. Don't do it again.

#938 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

This is an inaccurate statement.
Extremely inaccurate.
More accidents just from that idea.
For example, I watched a primary capacitor on a power circuit board at a show blow up in person's face because he opted not to shut down the game and "thought it was safe".
He shorted the game and was permanently blinded in one eye, and burned all over his face.
This is just one example.
With Doctor Who directly, technicians have had their fingers crushed on the mini playfield. The warning and interlock was ADDED later.
Ground shorts can kill, along with bad transformers or CRT discharges.

I dug into an underground power line with a metal shovel once. I should have died, but I am still kicking. lol with DW, I do agree with the possibility of losing your fingers. But for the most part "under the PF" It should be hard to die from electrocution. Messing with the boards or power supply while the machine is on, well... Then I can see some burnt flesh. However, I think over 4 amps your heart can stop... then you die. Pretty sure my heart stopped when I touched part of that CRT once.

That all said... Remember to turn the machine off And, left flipper is rebooting my DW...

#939 8 years ago

update: In switch test. The top right block is flickering. The second I touch the flippers. However, it seems to be intermediate. After a few fails it stops rebooting via flipper and game plays fine. But, over time.. Left flipper will reboot the game at some point.

#941 8 years ago

thanks... and lol at the first post to your thread

Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:Will try this as soon as I sober up.

#942 8 years ago

Top right block in switch test is cleared. no more flickering. However, I have a F6 U.R. Flipper but error. However, DW doesn't have an upper right flipper. I removed the flipptronics board. It had 2 hacks. I replaced it with a rotten dog 1&2 flip board. Still reboots when flippers are hit.

So, I am guessing... Diode is bad on one of the flippers coils?

#943 8 years ago

Top right block in switch test is cleared. no more flickering. However, I have a F6 U.R. Flipper but error. However, DW doesn't have an upper right flipper. I removed the flipptronics board. It had 2 hacks. I replaced it with a rotten dog 1&2 flip board. Still reboots when flippers are hit.
So, I am guessing... Diode is bad on one of the flippers coils?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-test-a-diode-on-coil

Post #10 from Clay will guide you.

#944 8 years ago

update: both flipper buttons reboot the game. highly doubt it is a diode now since both sides are triggering the reboot..

#945 8 years ago

update: both flipper buttons reboot the game. highly doubt it is a diode now since both sides are triggering the reboot..

Pinwiki link below. Sounds like your oh so common 5v issue: (I just recently got done doing the same for my DW)

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#946 8 years ago

VERY good read, the voltage or continuity may in fact be the problem. Turns out my DW has multiple repaired connectors. some appear to be poorly made. I reseated them all, tried to adjust them all and so far. No reboot. Will keep testing till it comes back.

#947 8 years ago

LOL, that lasted 30 seconds... It is back to resetting via any flipper button. I will continue to read

#948 8 years ago

LOL, that lasted 30 seconds... It is back to resetting via any flipper button. I will continue to read

Read and test, and keep notes. I ended up having to re-pin j101 and j102 (male and female) to fix my issue. It is a very systematic approach and should solve any issues you have. As you mentioned reseating connectors and the error stopped for a short time, that would be a good place to start!

#949 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Read and test, and keep notes. I ended up having to re-pin j101 and j102 (male and female) to fix my issue. It is a very systematic approach and should solve any issues you have. As you mentioned reseating connectors and the error stopped for a short time, that would be a good place to start!

Re-seated every single connector this time, and so far it has not rebooted. So, you are correct it could just be continuity issue. However, my hang over is really starting to throb so I am done for now.

#950 8 years ago

I've finished Doctor Who Disco for Pinsound. Check it out. Also got Doctorin' the Tardis v1.1 out on the Pinsound site.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 110.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.