(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by pinballtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dalek7 (resized).JPG
Dalek33 (resized).JPG
Dalek32 (resized).JPG
TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor 3 (resized).JPG
Wires1 (resized).JPG
Rebuild18 (resized).JPG
GIBuzzBrown (resized).jpg
Back Board lights2 (resized).jpg
20240407_212554 (resized).jpg
DSCF2875 (resized).JPG
DSCF2874 (resized).JPG
Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Mini_Playfield_Opto_Bank_Paper_Cover_Template.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 132.
#501 9 years ago

Just picked up a white set to try. Debated the color quite a bit, so we'll see what might look good! Great Idea though!

#502 9 years ago

Does anyone know where to get or has the ability to make the decal for the topper around the bottom of it, or the decals for the tops of the switch covers (who mobiles)?

#503 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Perhaps when Stern or JJP do a DW 50th Anniversary pin... we'll see that
faz

Faz, you do realise that the 50th anniversary was back in Nov 2013 right?

http://www.doctorwho.tv/events/doctor-who-celebration/

#504 9 years ago

Can I join the club? I've had mine for a good 13 years and am a proud owner of one with an original moving dalek.

#505 9 years ago
Quoted from TooFet:

Faz, you do realise that the 50th anniversary was back in Nov 2013 right?

Wizard of Oz written in 1900, on the big screen in 1939, many musicals including The Wiz on Broadway and the big screen.
"The Hobbit" written in 1937 then released in the latest movie series in 2012...
AC/DC started out in 1973 going up / down many times with a last album in 2011.
Metallica 1980 start with a last album in 2011.
Wrestle-mania occurring over the last 35 years

so, relating to a game being created for a current theme.... your point is?!?!

Doctor Who has been never more mainstream.
What's a few more years... after all... he's a Time Lord!

If the pinball mfrs are too late to throw a "50" on the back glass... WHO CARES!

I just want to see a new DW Pin!

faz

#506 9 years ago

Anyone in Canada got one of these to sell I want to be in the club very jealous.

#507 9 years ago

Hiya -- those are my Dalek posts. I hadn't "announced" them yet -- I was waiting for some pictures of them installed on a Dr Who playfield (but I've been slow in sending my prototypes to my "testers"

But feel free to try them out, comments and feedback welcome. Unfortunately, Shapeways does not offer the best color choices for playfield parts -- they really look better in transparent red or blue (and lit from underneath!)

#508 9 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Anyone in Canada got one of these to sell I want to be in the club very jealous.

It's been a very sought after and hard to find machine for a few years now. I bought a slightly nicer one than the one I had, with no cab fade, and there was already a line of 4-5 people on mine to go to for selling the first.

#509 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Wizard of Oz written in 1900, on the big screen in 1939, many musicals including The Wiz on Broadway and the big screen.
"The Hobbit" written in 1937 then released in the latest movie series in 2012...
AC/DC started out in 1973 going up / down many times with a last album in 2011.
Metallica 1980 start with a last album in 2011.
Wrestle-mania occurring over the last 35 years
so, relating to a game being created for a current theme.... your point is?!?!
Doctor Who has been never more mainstream.
What's a few more years... after all... he's a Time Lord!
If the pinball mfrs are too late to throw a "50" on the back glass... WHO CARES!
I just want to see a new DW Pin!
faz

Are you for real? Were any of those 50th anniversary editions??? You called it 50th anniversary... The DW 50th ann was back in 2013. If they released one now (and I hope they do!!!!) it would not be called the 50th ann edition. It would just be called Dr Who.

Have you heard about the Thunderbirds pinball being made by Homepin? THAT is a 50th Anniversary edition which is being made to be released to coincide with the 50th ann of the Thunderbirds later this year.

#510 9 years ago
Quoted from selmo:

Hiya -- those are my Dalek posts. I hadn't "announced" them yet -- I was waiting for some pictures of them installed on a Dr Who playfield (but I've been slow in sending my prototypes to my "testers"
But feel free to try them out, comments and feedback welcome. Unfortunately, Shapeways does not offer the best color choices for playfield parts -- they really look better in transparent red or blue (and lit from underneath!)

They are awesome!

#511 9 years ago
Quoted from selmo:

I tried the site, but I can't seem to change colours for anything other than the material and colour linked. I noticed there are transparent ones, but can't find a way to look at it.

Are you saying there will not be transparent blue or red?

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Does anyone know where to get or has the ability to make the decal for the topper around the bottom of it, or the decals for the tops of the switch covers (who mobiles)?

Bump on this as well.

#512 9 years ago

Alt translite anyone?

dr-who1.jpgdr-who1.jpg

dr-who2.jpgdr-who2.jpg

#513 9 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Alt translite anyone?

dr-who1.jpg 195 KB

dr-who2.jpg 206 KB

Move the logo on the 2nd one to line up with the lights on the backboard for the light show.

#514 9 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Alt translite anyone?

Nice! Old logo for sure...

#515 9 years ago

dr-who3.jpgdr-who3.jpg

#516 9 years ago

Getting the lights to have some relation to what is going on with the game seems like the biggest challenge for designing an alt translite. (if that's even a concern) With that cool space design, arranging the stars to fit the flashing lights would seem like a good way to add some effects.

Then of course, how do you get these things printed?

And what about the K9 LE version?

#517 9 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

dr-who3.jpg 205 KB

I really like this!, though I think the blues all blend a bit too much. A couple thoughts:

1) Either add in the time vortex in the background or replace with the multicolor logo?
2) add in photo images vs. cartoons of all the doctors?

Personally, I also am partial to the early 80's neon logo as well but these are really nice!

#518 9 years ago

OK - Kind of random question. Anyone know if there is a simple way to temporarily disable all the lighting in the machine for troubleshooting light bleed in optos? Not sure if there is a simple plug that could be pulled or not.

Thanks!!

#519 9 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

OK - Kind of random question. Anyone know if there is a simple way to temporarily disable all the lighting in the machine for troubleshooting light bleed in optos? Not sure if there is a simple plug that could be pulled or not.
Thanks!!

I would think you should be able to pull the corresponding plugs from the backbox.

#520 9 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

A trick you can do (with the lights on) is to unplug the transmitter harness (J1) from the 10 opto board (this only works for 7 of the 10 optos). For the optos on J4, J5, and J6, you may just have to tape over the transmitters to prevent them from triggering the receivers.

Then you can go into switch edge test mode and check for activity. If the receivers are getting light from a nearby lamp, they will likely randomly trigger.

#521 9 years ago

GLM:

Thanks for the heads up! That tip helped!

#522 9 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Getting the lights to have some relation to what is going on with the game seems like the biggest challenge for designing an alt translite. (if that's even a concern) With that cool space design, arranging the stars to fit the flashing lights would seem like a good way to add some effects.
Then of course, how do you get these things printed?

Exactly. Almost none of the alt translites people have made take into consideration the lights in the backboard, which (for me) is a BIG oversight.

#523 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I tried the site, but I can't seem to change colours for anything other than the material and colour linked. I noticed there are transparent ones, but can't find a way to look at it.
Are you saying there will not be transparent blue or red?

Shapeways only offers clear (white frosty translucent -- sorta clear) and a few colors of opaque polished plastic (white, black, red, pink, purple, blue, yellow, green, orange). There's also some plastic that's meant to look like metal, and actual metal (brass, bronze, gold, silver, steel, etc) but that's crazy costly.

I've printed clear red and clear blue here with my printer, and they look better than opaque ones. But Shapeways does not offer those options, sadly. And it takes a lot of fussin' and clean up get good ones in clear with a home printer.

I suppose one could get the clear ones from shapeways and paint them with glass paint to get clear colors. Painting them on inside would keep them from getting scratched. An LED post-light under them works well too.

If you look at it here https://www.shapeways.com/product/GB8C4NXA2/dalek-post-version-a-8x?key=d78145fd89193db8a01a4e1f6ba43289&optionId=55523900

the material options are on the right side -- click on any of them to see a preview. But the final product may not exactly match -- I've had issues with Shapeways colors being off from their samples.

There are also links to single posts plus sets of 6 and 8, with and without eyestalks.

#524 9 years ago

The original translite has really grown on me. Okay there are no big breasted ladies, but it fits the theme really well since the game is all about the different doctors.

Those post daleks look really great. Next time I take the Doctor apart I'll have to order a set of red for the slingshots.

#525 9 years ago

I love the original translite.

#526 9 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Never heard of this! What does it look like?

#527 9 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Never heard of this! What does it look like?

Since K9 was snubbed in the standard edition, I'm sure an LE was made honoring the Doctor's greatest companion.

In other words, it was one of my many unfunny jokes and deepest pinball desires.

#528 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

The original translite has really grown on me.

I understand what they were attempting to do and it fits the plot of the pin perfectly. You've got all the Doctors being chased by Davros and the Daleks with the Time Expander. It tells the story of the pin.

That said, I think the artist had recently experienced blunt force trauma to the head when he or she was looking at the pictures of the Doctors. Maybe that's why Sylvester McCoy's giant hand seems to be trying to poke me in the eye every time I play. It's just simply not attractive.

Great planning and poor execution.

#529 9 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Thanks!!

What are they symptoms? If both outside optos are registering closed when they are not the bleed is probably coming from within the opto housing itself.

#530 9 years ago

Just gonna say, 95% (99%?) of mini-pf opto issues are due to cracked solder joints, or bad traces (after multiple repairs). My first Dr Who didn't even have the opto shroud and still never got false triggers from the flashers.

#531 9 years ago

There's another thread on this topic.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-mini-playfield-stops-wherever-it-pleases

However, I don't think it's an opto thing... at least now.
faz

#532 9 years ago

Dr Who Toy...

DrWhoToy.jpgDrWhoToy.jpg

#533 9 years ago

Pictures of the Daleks on a DrWho from my testers:
B9otwI4CcAAklyq.jpgB9otwI4CcAAklyq.jpg

These are red transparent that I printed here. Shapeways offers mostly opaque colors.

B9nw59uCUAAqQqu.jpgB9nw59uCUAAqQqu.jpg
B9nwpEyCIAAGHNs.jpgB9nwpEyCIAAGHNs.jpg

#534 9 years ago
Quoted from selmo:

Pictures of the Daleks on a DrWho from my testers:

These are red transparent that I printed here. Shapeways offers mostly opaque colors.

B9nw59uCUAAqQqu.jpg 39 KB

B9nwpEyCIAAGHNs.jpg 40 KB

B9otwI4CcAAklyq.jpg 70 KB

Is it possible to use the Starpost LEDs under these?

#536 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Is it possible to use the Starpost LEDs under these?

As long as they are printed in transparent plastic, they should work just fine (and look great). They have the same size & shape as a regular star post on the bottom, including the hollow space.

#537 9 years ago

hey selmo, I know the shapeways options are limited but open up the transparent and high detail plastic options as though they appear foggy white they light up well. These options are more expensive but an option for those keen. iMaterialise does a transparent resin but again not the cheapest.

Below is my CFTBL tail light mod with the taillight lens in high detail plastic with a white and a red led behind the 2 parts of the lens.

Tail Light Mod.jpgTail Light Mod.jpg

#538 9 years ago

That looks fantastic!

#539 9 years ago

I do have the transparent options available-- I think painting them with transparent glass paint may work well. Add a star post led under them and they would look sweet!

I looked at iMaterialize resin options, but they're crazy expensive! $250 for a set of six! If anyone is crazy enough to pay that much, I'll print them myself in any color they want!

#540 9 years ago

I have a Dr. Who which is in need of a couple of fly-away targets.
Does anyone have some spares for me?
May be old ones from a "used 2 machines to rebuild 1"?

#541 9 years ago

What targets are you referring too??

#542 9 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I have a Dr. Who which is in need of a couple of fly-away targets.
Does anyone have some spares for me?
May be old ones from a "used 2 machines to rebuild 1"?

i have the old targets when from my game but I'm also not sure what the Flyaway targets are.

#543 9 years ago

The little red Daleks in the bottom level of the time expander.

#544 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The little red Daleks in the bottom level of the time expander.

Gotcha! Good luck in the hunt. They could probably be made on a 3d printer if all else fails.

#545 9 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

What targets are you referring too??

These are the flyaway targets:

who targets.jpgwho targets.jpg

#546 9 years ago

I have that assembly with targets. Do you just need the targets or the shaft and spacers also?

#547 9 years ago

Just FYI for anyone with the CDMD for DW. I made another update to ensure the doctors are colored more consistently during bonus mode. Rom 3.1 is on the CDMD site.

#548 9 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Found one will be in the club by this weekend!!!!

#549 9 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

I have that assembly with targets. Do you just need the targets or the shaft and spacers also?

I just need the targets.
Everything else is fine.
Two targets have broken in halve, leaving just small flaps.

#550 9 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I just need the targets.
Everything else is fine.
Two targets have broken in halve, leaving just small flaps.

PM me your information il ill send them to you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,575 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.