(Topic ID: 76377)

Doctor Who Owners Club.....Time Lords Welcome!

By HoakyPoaky

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8F059034-AED6-4CD0-A63B-68703F33C57E (resized).png
2BB87EE1-5698-430F-9904-4F97683F83C2 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DSCF2747 (resized).JPG
IMG_0498 (resized).JPG
Tardis99 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 1.31.59 pm (resized).png
il_1140xN.2008045654_bplp (resized).jpg
IMG_7156 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7155 (resized).jpeg
421735202_7550654594958757_8318301814228353514_n (resized).jpg
421727425_7550654341625449_209651123817121918_n (resized).jpg
421731484_7550654938292056_4147915032710083979_n (resized).jpg
421723578_7550654091625474_5367988788185483827_n (resized).jpg
20240117_191816 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,511 posts in this topic. You are on page 100 of 131.
#4951 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im really, REALLY hsppy with my pinsound and pinsound shaker.
Its not the cheapest mod, but i cant see enjoying it as much after all the work i put in, without the shaker.
Different orchestrations that i have on the pinsound just make the game more fun.

Unfortunately there are quite a few people that prefer to avoid the Pinsound boards because of the way they handled the no more reset boards......

The Tilit Audio can do alternate sound sets as well. Just doesn't yet have the support and I don't know how many mixes are done for that. Since you developed one of the sound sets if you still kept all the raw assets then a similar sound set could be put together that gives the same experience on the Tilt Audio board.

#4952 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Interesting! Did the auto shop have previous experience clearing a playfield ?

Not before I contacted them the first time 2 years ago.
Since then they have done 10 or so, always happy with the results. Cheap too.

Just in case - I mean a place where they clear coat cars, not where they sell cars

#4953 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Unfortunately there are quite a few people that prefer to avoid the Pinsound boards because of the way they handled the no more reset boards......

I see. Thats too bad for them.

Its unfortunate since the pinsound is such a great product thats super easy to install and has built in pre-programmed shaker routines, if you go that way.

They also have the new DMD-Lux board for those needing a new video card.

Hopefully the enraged pinside public will get over it.

#4954 2 years ago

Its unfortunate since the pinsound is such a great product thats super easy to install and has built in pre-programmed shaker routines, if you go that way.

Okay, so wtf. What happened with the no reset boards?

#4955 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Okay, so wtf. What happened with the no reset boards?

If you would like to read the History it is documented on this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-no-more-reset-and-rob-kahr-s-board

I have a feeling they may have lost more Pinsound sales than they make off their copy of the other board but the whole thing doesn't seem right.

#4956 2 years ago

Assuming the whole deal went down the way it is covered in the thread about the issue I would hope that the PinSound folks would be the ones to get over it and really work something out to put it to rest. Not an issue for the general pinside public to get over.

#4957 2 years ago

Assuming the whole deal went down the way it is covered in the thread about the issue I would hope that the PinSound folks would be the ones to get over it and really work something out to put it to rest. Not an issue for the general pinside public to get over.

No, it doesn't seem right at all.

Either way i can only hope for a resolution that makes both sides happy.

Time will tell.

#4958 2 years ago

I’m not getting over it. That entire saga was thievery from the ground up. They befriended Rob, had him send info over to start selling his boards through their shop - then ghosted him and ripped off the design. Sure, it’s a fairly simple design - and they could have put out their own product thst does the same thing - he doesn’t own the conversion of 12v to 5v.

BUT.

They engaged with him, stole his design and then screwed him over.

Rob is a friend, and I have a lot of respect for him, and none of this is ok. I have bought my last PinSound board (coincidentally it was for another DW) but I am sticking it out with TiltAudio. I bought 11 PinSounds over the past 4 years.

#4959 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m not getting over it. That entire saga was thievery from the ground up. They befriended Rob, had him send info over to start selling his boards through their shop - then ghosted him and ripped off the design. Sure, it’s a fairly simple design - and they could have put out their own product thst does the same thing - he doesn’t own the conversion of 12v to 5v.
BUT.
Rob is a friend, and I have a lot of respect for him, and none of this is ok. I have bought my last PinSound board (coincidentally it was for another DW) but I am sticking it out with TiltAudio. I bought 11 PinSounds over the past 4 years.

Such a sore subject...

#4960 2 years ago

So my 500k light is out. It used to activate intermittently if you tapped on it, but now it doesn't come on at all. I've tried all the fixes I found on line (bending pins on the socket, adding solder, reflowing solder, etc.) and nothing has worked (also I fear that my noob soldering skills may have rendered a fixable problem into an unfixable one. But hey, that's how learning works!).

The rest of the board works, but I think I may need to just replace it. Does anyone have any idea where to get an A-15429 five lamp board (also any suggestions on anything else I could try are welcome).

Thanks, Chris

#4961 2 years ago

Such a sore subject...

Well I mean, he DID steal someone's work and made them lose a lot of money, so...

#4962 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

So my 500k light is out. It used to activate intermittently if you tapped on it, but now it doesn't come on at all. I've tried all the fixes I found on line (bending pins on the socket, adding solder, reflowing solder, etc.) and nothing has worked (also I fear that my noob soldering skills may have rendered a fixable problem into an unfixable one. But hey, that's how learning works!).
The rest of the board works, but I think I may need to just replace it. Does anyone have any idea where to get an A-15429 five lamp board (also any suggestions on anything else I could try are welcome).
Thanks, Chris

Nah, doubt there isnt something that can be done. And you better hope so, replacing this will be practically impossible.

#4963 2 years ago

Thanks, Chris

If you could post a picture, that may help.

There is very little on those boards to go wrong, that cant be fixed, dont worry.

Also check for a cracked solder joint or a loose pin, on the board for the connector.

#4964 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Nah, doubt there isnt something that can be done. And you better hope so, replacing this will be practically impossible.

Post a Pic and let us see what it looks like.

#4965 2 years ago

If you could post a picture, that may help.
There is very little on those boards to go wrong, that cant be fixed, dont worry.
Also check for a cracked solder joint or a loose pin, on the board for the connector.

Thanks! I hope so. I'll post tonight after work.

#4966 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

BUT.

I talked with Rob at Pinfest. He was a good dude. I had his original "no reset" board in my machine and asked about what it did. As I have not experienced a reset. I bought and installed his latest board with leds that indicate status of your power. He told me that as your CPU and power board ages, that voltages get less due to aging components. I asked him about Pinsound. He is still pissed at the ripoff. Claimed their board was a glorified expensive MP player.

#4967 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Claimed their board was a glorified expensive MP player.

Technically incorrect -
Apparently it only plays WAV files?

#4968 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

I talked with Rob at Pinfest. He was a good dude. I had his original "no reset" board in my machine and asked about what it did. As I have not experienced a reset. I bought and installed his latest board with leds that indicate status of your power. He told me that as your CPU and power board ages, that voltages get less due to aging components. I asked him about Pinsound. He is still pissed at the ripoff. Claimed their board was a glorified expensive MP player.

It definitely does more than that, and I do think it's a true enhancement to a game, but he's right to be pissed.

He's the first vendor I ever met at the York, PA show about 5(?) years ago. He had a SWE1 Pin2K that my son was dying to play, and it was his favorite game at the show. Rob is probably one of the most honest stand up guys I've ever met in the hobby.

#4969 2 years ago

Ok. So here are pics of both sides of the board. Any tips on what the issue might be? I’m guessing bad soldering on my part, so any advice on how to improve that would be great. However, if it’s not the crappy solder job I would appreciate any other theories (it was having the same issue before my attempts to reflow). Again, I’m new at this and looking to learn whatever I can.

470BC2FE-CE14-485B-B1C3-FF20D71F01F6 (resized).jpeg470BC2FE-CE14-485B-B1C3-FF20D71F01F6 (resized).jpegC0652E76-78B5-49E2-B96D-4808A0C45AFF (resized).jpegC0652E76-78B5-49E2-B96D-4808A0C45AFF (resized).jpeg053C9D24-AD74-42D0-BFD4-1654E6F6C001 (resized).jpeg053C9D24-AD74-42D0-BFD4-1654E6F6C001 (resized).jpegA145B6FD-C83D-45C1-AC5C-CB93B78D2B95 (resized).jpegA145B6FD-C83D-45C1-AC5C-CB93B78D2B95 (resized).jpeg
#4970 2 years ago

In pic #2 I can see cold solder joints on those header pins, might be time to invest in a better soldering iron.

#4971 2 years ago

Ok. So here are pics of both sides of the board. Any tips on what the issue might be? I’m guessing bad soldering on my part, so any advice on how to improve that would be great. However, if it’s not the crappy solder job I would appreciate any other theories (it was having the same issue before my attempts to reflow). Again, I’m new at this and looking to learn whatever I can.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well, your soldering skills need work. I see cold joints, overheated pads. May just be the soldering. Diodes usually never fail, but has happened. Can I ask what type of soldering setup are you using? Sometimes YouTube is your best friend on learning how to solder or you can send it off for repair.

#4972 2 years ago

I'm not saying this to be mean but you should not touch another real board until you learn how to solder.

#4973 2 years ago

That board is only slighty damaged but not beyond repair.

Im sure there is a pinsider near you that can solder that up for you.

Its an easy fix if you know how to do it.

Rip apart some old broken electronic devices, pull out the boards and practice removing and reinstalling parts until you can do it without burning the board up.

youtube videos can really help as well as a decent adjustable soldering station or iron.

a simple inexpensive, weller station works pretty good and is the staple for many workbenches:

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC/ref=asc_df_B000AS28UC/

Some regular pc board tips:

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-SP40L-SP40N-Irons/dp/B0747R26S8/ref=sr_1_3_sspa

If nobody steps up to fix it near you, you can send it to me and Ill repair it for, parts (if I have to buy anything) plus shipping.

#4974 2 years ago

I can fix it for you,PM me.

Ken

#4975 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I can fix it for you,PM me.
Ken

You do beautiful board work!

#4976 2 years ago

You do beautiful board work!

I have time right now and if I didn't it would go to Chris Hibler or Clive

#4977 2 years ago

If you are near the Detroit, MI area I could fix you right up. Besides the soldering on the header pins I’ve seen bad sockets for the bulbs and also run across bad diodes. That is a simple board so should be easy to fix.

If the connector plugging into that board uses IDC connectors then check the wires that are pressed into the connector as those can be open there.

#4978 2 years ago

Wow! You guys are all so incredibly generous with your knowledge and your offers of help. I'll reach out. Thanks so much everyone. Very relieved that this is not a lost cause!

#4979 2 years ago

Wow! You guys are all so incredibly generous with your knowledge and your offers of help. I'll reach out. Thanks so much everyone. Very relieved that this is not a lost cause!

If we knew what state you were in, someone local could fix it quickly and test it with a meter. I have to agree that your soldering skills would increase quickly with practice and a welder soldering iron tip! A soldering gun and larger irons will only mess up your boards. The difference is like comparing an xacto knife with a butcher knife.

#4980 2 years ago

On a completely different topic...

Recently, after completing a MPF raising multi ball and it goes back down PF level. I know that I have to hit center target, to begin locking balls again in MPF. In the recent past, it would kick the ball back out, until I hit the center target. But last night and today, the right ball lock will let the ball sit and not kick it out. Then it goes into 3 ball finds and two MPF raises, until it is ejected.

I am thinking the Optos knows the ball is there, because prior to first multi ball, it sees the ball and displays on the screen that one or both balls are locked and goes to level two PF for mushroom bashing.

Would appreciate any ideas.

#4981 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Recently, after completing a MPF raising multi ball and it goes back down PF level. I know that I have to hit center target, to begin locking balls again in MPF. In the recent past, it would kick the ball back out, until I hit the center target. But last night and today, the right ball lock will let the ball sit and not kick it out. Then it goes into 3 ball finds and two MPF raises, until it is ejected.
I am thinking the Optos knows the ball is there, because prior to first multi ball, it sees the ball and displays on the screen that one or both balls are locked and goes to level two PF for mushroom bashing.

Definitely check for broken wires on the optos on the MPF.

You can test the optos with a finger on the MPF in test mode.

If optos are good then it can only be the solenoid not firing.

#4982 2 years ago

Making your location known on Pinside helps people near by to assist you.

#4983 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

If we knew what state you were in, someone local could fix it quickly and test it with a meter. I have to agree that your soldering skills would increase quickly with practice and a welder soldering iron tip! A soldering gun and larger irons will only mess up your boards. The difference is like comparing an xacto knife with a butcher knife.

Doh! Sorry, didn't realize my location wasn't displaying. I'm in New Jersey.

#4984 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Broken wires, and because the MPF is raising/lowering, Faz will chime in to look at the DMD and see if the optos are all registering in the correct stop positions. Top, Middle and Bottom. Also, the MPF connector pins do wear due to the added stress of being pulled on while being raised. I would start tugging on connectors attached to the MPF and see if you have random opto firing when in test mode.

#4985 2 years ago

Definitely check for broken wires on the optos on the MPF.
You can test the optos with a finger on the MPF in test mode.
If optos are good then it can only be the solenoid not firing.

I hear what you are saying. And will try test mode next. I played a couple games today and it happened again.

So to be clear, the MPF is raising and lowering correctly to all three levels like it should. So that Opto is working.

The left Ball Lock Opto and coil are working perfectly too.

The right Ball Lock works correctly the first time in the game. The Light in front of it, is on steady with the ball in place. The DMD does its little movie where the half curtain goes around the right sided Doctor. So that tells me that the Opto sees that a ball is in place. Once all 15 mushrooms and light have been lit, the MPF drops to ground level and ejects both Locked balls, like it should. So that means that the coil is connected and firing. Once the MPF times out after getting some balls through the 3 red dalek doors, the MPF goes back down to ground level. And a Doctor mentions something about a timey wimey thing.

This is where it gets interesting (for me at least). If I lock a ball in the left Lock, without hitting the center target, the left coil shoots it out (usually SDTM). But then I get a "Second Chance" ball launch. The same thing used to happen on the right lock. But now the ball just goes into the right hole and the game waits a while, till it starts it "Ball Search 1, Ball Search 2 with raising MPF, and then it kicks the ball out and the game continues play with that ball.

However, if I hit the center target on round two, and lock the ball in the right or left hole, it registers that the balls are there. Once both balls are locked, I go into multiball Davros Mushroom bashing and then level 3 Dalek door time.

#4986 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

I hear what you are saying. And will try test mode next. I played a couple games today and it happened again.
So to be clear, the MPF is raising and lowering correctly to all three levels like it should. So that Opto is working.
The left Ball Lock Opto and coil are working perfectly too.
The right Ball Lock works correctly the first time in the game. The Light in front of it, is on steady with the ball in place. The DMD does its little movie where the half curtain goes around the right sided Doctor. So that tells me that the Opto sees that a ball is in place. Once all 15 mushrooms and light have been lit, the MPF drops to ground level and ejects both Locked balls, like it should. So that means that the coil is connected and firing. Once the MPF times out after getting some balls through the 3 red dalek doors, the MPF goes back down to ground level. And a Doctor mentions something about a timey wimey thing.
This is where it gets interesting (for me at least). If I lock a ball in the left Lock, without hitting the center target, the left coil shoots it out (usually SDTM). But then I get a "Second Chance" ball launch. The same thing used to happen on the right lock. But now the ball just goes into the right hole and the game waits a while, till it starts it "Ball Search 1, Ball Search 2 with raising MPF, and then it kicks the ball out and the game continues play with that ball.
However, if I hit the center target on round two, and lock the ball in the right or left hole, it registers that the balls are there. Once both balls are locked, I go into multiball Davros Mushroom bashing and then level 3 Dalek door time.

Sounds like a loose wire or flakey opto on the right.

Might just be the wire.

With the MPF raised in test and the force fields removed, you can see the outer opto.

If careful you can actually reattach the wire or reflow it if its hanging by a thread.

The wires to the outer optos often get broken, loose or short.

They are very close to the edge.

The wires on these optos are often crispy and delicate.

A proper repair involves MPF removal and putting in new wire.

I had a similar problem and installed all silicone wire for increased flexability and durability.

Due to crispy wire it had failed a couple times.

But i also put in new opto pairs when i rebuilt mine.

#4987 2 years ago

Almost finished - ColorDMD and LED-OCD on the way.

New everything, Clear-coated PF, Wobblehead.

Only single issue left is the machine wont hold memory even with new batteries. I assume Diode 1/2 on the MPU board have failed as there is no voltage going to the RAM VCC pin when the game is off.

Oh and the flippers need a slight alignment adjustment

DoctorWho1.jpgDoctorWho1.jpgDoctorWho2.jpgDoctorWho2.jpg
#4988 2 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

Only single issue left is the machine wont hold memory even with new batteries. I assume Diode 1/2 on the MPU board have failed as there is no voltage going to the RAM VCC pin when the game is off.
Oh and the flippers need a slight alignment adjustment[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! You will appreciate the color DMD, as it enhances video mode.

#4989 2 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

Oh and the flippers need a slight alignment adjustment[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great!

I put condoms on my tardis and time expander LED's so they would look colorful when not lit. You might have to trim them slightly.

Are you going to put the art blades on the inside walls? I think that they look good on this game.

Lots of GI action on this game. You might want to get the GIOCD system also if you went 100% LED's.

Good job on all the new stickers!

#4990 2 years ago

Looks great!
I put condoms on my tardis and time expander LED's so they would look colorful when not lit. You might have to trim them slightly.
Are you going to put the art blades on the inside walls? I think that they look good on this game.
Lots of GI action on this game. You might want to get the GIOCD system also if you went 100% LED's.
Good job on all the new stickers!

I will get some game blades, just trying to decide which ones.

In regards to the GI-OCD, how much difference does it make? I purchased the mirrored backglass from CPR.

#4991 2 years ago

Also forgot to ask anyone have any hints regarding the MPU not holding settings on powerup?

Just wanted to make sure im looking in the right place. Apparently Diode D2 on the MPU board is the cause?

#4992 2 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

Also forgot to ask anyone have any hints regarding the MPU not holding settings on powerup?
Just wanted to make sure im looking in the right place. Apparently Diode D2 on the MPU board is the cause?

Check the battery holder. I’ve seen some with the metal contact for the battery is broken or missing. Sometimes it is hard to tell. May want to look at NVRAM instead.

#4993 2 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

I will get some game blades, just trying to decide which ones.
In regards to the GI-OCD, how much difference does it make? I purchased the mirrored backglass from CPR.

I was surprised as to how much illumination dimming goes on in DW.

Enable dimming in the settings to see it.

If you have all leds in the GI, GIOCD is a must have on this game.

#4994 2 years ago

Check the battery holder. I’ve seen some with the metal contact for the battery is broken or missing. Sometimes it is hard to tell. May want to look at NVRAM instead.

Brand new batteries and voltage on the legs going to the board but when you probe pin 28 of the RAM chip I see 0vdc

According to https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Battery_Issues that means the D1/D2 has failed.

#4995 2 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

Brand new batteries and voltage on the legs going to the board but when you probe pin 28 of the RAM chip I see 0vdc
According to https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Battery_Issues that means the D1/D2 has failed.

Replace the diode, and let us know.

Its a pretty easy fix if that's all it is.

While you have the board out check all the pins for cracks etc.

Carefully examine all the traces with a magnifier.

#4996 2 years ago

I appreciate all the help and hints I get from Pinsiders. Your experiences and advice and gotten me down the road of pinball service.

Here is an interesting story about how the Doctor Who pinball machine has a mind of its own. I know that it stores high scores and loop champion, as well as a long list of audit history. Like how many games it has played, how much money it has made, how many free games it gave away, etc. Still learning that set of things.

#Pinballreno gave me hints on how to build a ladder, of how to get higher scores. I went into the software and manual. I set the game to Easy. I adjusted a bunch of the values. I set the WHO ramp "extra ball to 1". I set the Video mode to Easy and "Extra Ball to 1". I had replay set to 300,000. I was getting better at ramp shots, and multi-balls. I finally got a 1 billion score. Then several weeks later, my game changed itself. Video mode changed to the 1st version of wave 2 instead of 1. I have no idea what the WHO ramp changed to, but it is not set to 1 anymore, after I got several extra balls with it. Replay keeps going higher by itself and now is around 500,000. It is like the machine is learning that I am winning and making itself harder and harder.

Does any of this make sense? Has anyone else noticed their machine doing this? I guess, if I had it set on standard settings, I would not be seeing these changes....

#4997 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

I appreciate all the help and hints I get from Pinsiders. Your experiences and advice and gotten me down the road of pinball service.
Here is an interesting story about how the Doctor Who pinball machine has a mind of its own. I know that it stores high scores and loop champion, as well as a long list of audit history. Like how many games it has played, how much money it has made, how many free games it gave away, etc. Still learning that set of things.
#Pinballreno gave me hints on how to build a ladder, of how to get higher scores. I went into the software and manual. I set the game to Easy. I adjusted a bunch of the values. I set the WHO ramp "extra ball to 1". I set the Video mode to Easy and "Extra Ball to 1". I had replay set to 300,000. I was getting better at ramp shots, and multi-balls. I finally got a 1 billion score. Then several weeks later, my game changed itself. Video mode changed to the 1st version of wave 2 instead of 1. I have no idea what the WHO ramp changed to, but it is not set to 1 anymore, after I got several extra balls with it. Replay keeps going higher by itself and now is around 500,000. It is like the machine is learning that I am winning and making itself harder and harder.
Does any of this make sense? Has anyone else noticed their machine doing this? I guess, if I had it set on standard settings, I would not be seeing these changes....

Yes, WMS games auto-adjusted. You will see a setting "Extra Ball Percent" - and if the game consistently gives out more Extra Balls than that percentage, it will start to auto-adjust.
Same with replays (replay percentage) and the high scores.

#4998 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Turn off the auto adjustment and input score values instead.

1 week later
#4999 2 years ago
Quoted from ignat:

Those rule/story cards are amazing! Did you make those yourself or are they available somewhere?

#5000 2 years ago

I was surprised as to how much illumination dimming goes on in DW.
Enable dimming in the settings to see it.
If you have all leds in the GI, GIOCD is a must have on this game.

Yep. Seconded

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 6,511 posts in this topic. You are on page 100 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/100?hl=zigzagzag and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.