41%
  • Johnny Mnemonic 33 votes
    59%

(56 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spraynard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 10 years ago

I've owned both. Neither were keepers, but I enjoyed JM way more than DW. I hated how important video mode was in DW. It's not a bad video mode, it's just way too frequent and important for a good score. JM's video mode was also bad, but you can avoid it, and it doesn't happen too often. Loved the flow in JM, but eventually the whole "spinner millions" exploit kind of got to me.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Thought I was having just a great ball last night on DW, three waves of Daleks and still couldn't break 400 million. Totally disagree with the comment about video mode being too important for a good score, it really doesn't offer too many points compared to getting playfield multipliers and jackpots.

Maybe you'd score higher if you used a video mode strategy

You're right, video mode itself is not worth that many points. However, it's a cheap and easy way to collect doctors, which help immensely with scoring. On ball one, select video mode doctor and take safe shots into the pops, start video mode, collect doctor. Rinse and repeat until you have doctor 6 collected, then build up multiplier and go for more video modes/ multiball. The final video mode wave is worth a lot too, especially if you have 4x multiplier going.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The DW video mode strategy doesn't work unless you have second chance extended beyond factory and are using regular flippers instead of the lightening in my view. Main reason is the video mode orbit shot is not safe.
At least 1/3 of the time the ball pops out of the shot and you have to regain control of the ball. If second chance is on ten seconds then no big deal, if second chance is on three seconds you risk being SOL quick.

Well, whether the ball pops back out of the shots will vary by machine, but even if it's 1/3 of the time, that's 2/3 it's returned right back to the flipper. On a machine where the ball is chronically out of control and you are frequently sending wild shots at a center target bank, those aren't bad odds. I had lightning flippers and factory ball save time on mine, fwiw.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 110.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 22.50
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spraynard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-or-johnny-mnemonic?tu=spraynard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.