Topic poll

“Doctor Who or Johnny Mnemonic”

• Doctor Who 23 votes
    41%
  • Johnny Mnemonic 33 votes
    59%

(56 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
image.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Which one would you choose and why?

#2 6 years ago

Johnny for sure. Its fun, fast, and definitely underpriced.

#3 6 years ago

Gun to my head, DW... but honestly I would pass on both.

DW is fun but side ramp shot to rules the game.
JM I have never liked and does nothing for me. I guess it's "fast;" yippee

#4 6 years ago

I've owned both. Neither were keepers, but I enjoyed JM way more than DW. I hated how important video mode was in DW. It's not a bad video mode, it's just way too frequent and important for a good score. JM's video mode was also bad, but you can avoid it, and it doesn't happen too often. Loved the flow in JM, but eventually the whole "spinner millions" exploit kind of got to me.

#5 6 years ago

JM. No question. flow and speed. Can't really go wrong with a Gomez maniac pin.

#6 6 years ago

I enjoyed JM much more as well.

#8 6 years ago

My one JM outlasted two DW's in my lineup over the years. Love the speed of JM.

#9 6 years ago

See if you can play both before buying....IMO, JM beats the crap out of most games twice it's price.

#10 6 years ago

DW no question for me. It's one of the games I truly wish I didn't sell. I loved the screaming Dalek's, upper loop, sonic booms, rising playfield.

Johnny I don't miss at all, sold it fast and moved on...it is probably the fastest game I've ever played though...so it's not a dog, it is a fun game..

#11 6 years ago

I posted a similar thread awhile back. It seems these pins are pretty evenly split on preference!

#12 6 years ago

DW gets my vote. It's stayed through a lot of pins in my collection. Was my first and may very well be my last if it ever came to that.

#13 6 years ago

I'm a big theme guy, doctor who has a vastly better theme and it is well implemented. Better music to, the music on doctor who rocks. You should add a poll OP.

#14 6 years ago

Poll Added

#15 6 years ago

Agreed on both counts with TigerLaw, who beat me to both punches, DW, poll. Thought I was having just a great ball last night on DW, three waves of Daleks and still couldn't break 400 million. Totally disagree with the comment about video mode being too important for a good score, it really doesn't offer too many points compared to getting playfield multipliers and jackpots.

edit: poll added 2 seconds, literally before this posted.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Thought I was having just a great ball last night on DW, three waves of Daleks and still couldn't break 400 million. Totally disagree with the comment about video mode being too important for a good score, it really doesn't offer too many points compared to getting playfield multipliers and jackpots.

Maybe you'd score higher if you used a video mode strategy

You're right, video mode itself is not worth that many points. However, it's a cheap and easy way to collect doctors, which help immensely with scoring. On ball one, select video mode doctor and take safe shots into the pops, start video mode, collect doctor. Rinse and repeat until you have doctor 6 collected, then build up multiplier and go for more video modes/ multiball. The final video mode wave is worth a lot too, especially if you have 4x multiplier going.

#17 6 years ago

The DW video mode strategy doesn't work unless you have second chance extended beyond factory and are using regular flippers instead of the lightening in my view. Main reason is the video mode orbit shot is not safe.

At least 1/3 of the time the ball pops out of the shot and you have to regain control of the ball. If second chance is on ten seconds then no big deal, if second chance is on three seconds you risk being SOL quick.

#18 6 years ago

Johnny by a nose. Two great toys JM glove and DW expander. A few more shots on JM. Both great games.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The DW video mode strategy doesn't work unless you have second chance extended beyond factory and are using regular flippers instead of the lightening in my view. Main reason is the video mode orbit shot is not safe.
At least 1/3 of the time the ball pops out of the shot and you have to regain control of the ball. If second chance is on ten seconds then no big deal, if second chance is on three seconds you risk being SOL quick.

Well, whether the ball pops back out of the shots will vary by machine, but even if it's 1/3 of the time, that's 2/3 it's returned right back to the flipper. On a machine where the ball is chronically out of control and you are frequently sending wild shots at a center target bank, those aren't bad odds. I had lightning flippers and factory ball save time on mine, fwiw.

#20 6 years ago

JM is right up there with The Shadow for best game for the money IMO. DW has such bad sound and art. If you can get past that the game is pretty good. JM wins this one for me easy.

#21 6 years ago

Dr Who >>> JM

#23 6 years ago

When JM turns into the Matrix then it will be better.

#24 6 years ago

I have 3 friends looking for DWs right now so I think you should go with JM and let us know where the DW is....

Seriously, I have owned my DW for 17 years. Still one of the most fun to play. Love the Playfield multiplier feature and the time expander is genius. AND there's new ramps available for it. Makes it sparkle!

Buy the JM!!!!

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Maybe you'd score higher if you used a video mode strategy
You're right, video mode itself is not worth that many points. However, it's a cheap and easy way to collect doctors, which help immensely with scoring. On ball one, select video mode doctor and take safe shots into the pops, start video mode, collect doctor. Rinse and repeat until you have doctor 6 collected, then build up multiplier and go for more video modes/ multiball. The final video mode wave is worth a lot too, especially if you have 4x multiplier going.

Another reason to keep loving this machine, more opportunities for scoring I'm not even aware of. While I plan to P-ROC this, I can imagine enjoying it in original or all doctor mode.

Quoted from awarner:

I have 3 friends looking for DWs right now so I think you should go with JM and let us know where the DW is....
Seriously, I have owned my DW for 17 years. Still one of the most fun to play. Love the Playfield multiplier feature and the time expander is genius. AND there's new ramps available for it. Makes it sparkle!
Buy the JM!!!!

While my ramps are pretty decent (broken on the O ramp as per non-Cliffy usual though it works fine) I have thought about getting them. Will be doing a mini-playfield and considering CC like TaylorVA got on his, looks great. I play every night trying to get just a bit further but damned if I can get past 8 loops! and the same for getting to Dalek Jackpot with 4x active, I always drain then! I really should set my outlanes to at least moderate if not liberal.

#26 6 years ago

Resale value might be better with a JM also. You used to be able to get JM's for low to mid teens. Now a lot of them are going for $2500.

#27 6 years ago

I own both, and I'd have to go with JM. The huge outlanes and lightning flippers on DW make it tough for me to get a game going that approaches all that the game has to offer. This may be due to my lack of skill on the game, but I find that when I play I have to decide "do I want to try to collect doctors?" - "do I want to work on some loops/extra balls?" - "do I want to focus on the multi ball?" - but I can never string these things together for a complete game experience due to the outlanes and flippers. Still, the game is a ton of fun.

I love the theme and sound of DW (don't mind the Dalek noises, but don't understand why it's so much louder than the rest of the mix), but JM is more enjoyable overall. DW is generally a game that I'll play for 1/2 hour at a time, but JM I can sit and play for hours on end - it feels like more of an overlooked gem. I was a little nervous going into it due to everyone's complaints about the glove, but the strategy involved with that adds a ton of replayability to the game. Either way, you can't lose - but if I had to cut one of them, DW would go (and I'd probably bring it back again in a few years).

#28 6 years ago

Just what the Doctor Ordered!

image.jpg image.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside