Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by rodney314
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Long time lurker first time poster. Got my first pin delivered today and haven't even had the opportunity to play one game. I ran a system test and am getting a "Check Switch 31 Opto Popper" error message. When I run through the solenoid test the Opto Popper doesn't activate.

Checked all the connections from the solenoid and everything appears to be connected. Should I just get a new Opto Popper or are there other things I should be trying?

My new hobby isn't starting out well.

#2 10 years ago

Switch edge test - see if the opto responds if you throw a ball in.

Any other coils not working ? If so you'll need to pull and check fuses. If popper is the only one then most likely you have a broken wire at the coil lugs and the thin wires coming off the coil to the lug, you really have to dig around them to find a crack or break.

Your hobby is starting okay, you'll get through this and be enjoying your game soon. And welcome my friend to the world of pinball.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

rodney, I had this on my Dr Who. When I removed the entire mini playfield assembly, it was evident that a wire had been pulled from the opto generating the error. Soldering it back on fixed the problem. Unfortunately, it'll take some work to get at the opto sensor for that popper, but chances are that either one of the two wires got snagged/pulled off, or your opto LED (usually the transmitter) has failed.

You picked an awesome first game though!! Not sure where Olivette is. I'd stop by and help you out, but I given my great knowledge of Missouri geography, I'm not thinking it's anywhere near KC.

#4 10 years ago

Welcome aboard Rodney. Great first game. No advise on this yet except what they said. I had the same error on one I did but don't remember off hand what the issue was.

Btw, there are a lot of us pinheads in the area.

#5 10 years ago

After pondering over donuts and a coffee I remember on mine it was the opto reciever.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks to all for the feedback. I've been emailing furiously with Coinop Toys in Michigan where I bought the machine from and he's convinced it's a bad solenoid. Shipping me a new one. Will purchase a soldering gun over the weekend. I'm a software guy for a living and when I troubleshoot anything can usually figure out software issues. If software checks out it's hardware and someone else's problem. I'm guessing that's not going to work so much with pins.

LTG: Thanks for the hints. Sad part is all the coils are firing just not this one. DW machines shoot the balls out and they immediately drop into a hole. The balls then get fired out again from the Tardis. Problem is that second launch is where the offending coil is located.

wxforecaster: Appreciate the offer. Olivette is a Stl suburb so I'm thinking you're not interested in the drive.

#7 10 years ago

I just replaced the coil under the Tardis on my Doctor Who. It wasn't popping the ball up. It's a pretty easy to get to repair, so that's a good start. When you put it back together, make sure the wire ramp fits in the right place underneath, or it won't see the ball drop, and make sure it's lined up right on top, otherwise balls will bounce back into the outlane when they drop. (you don't have to unscrew it at all on the top for this repair, so if it's straight now, it should stay that way)

It's such a pita to have to put the glass back on to test it, but the glass sensor switch is in the top back corner, if you stick something in there to hold the switch closed, you can play it with the glass off to test it out.

That "keep hands away from mini-playfield" warning is serious. I've known people that have had a ball get stuck in there as it's coming down, and it chips the wood. It's strong enough to take a finger off if you have your hands in the wrong place. If you are messing with it with the glass off, be careful.

This is my favorite pin, I"m really glad I got one. You'll like it when it's up going again.

#8 10 years ago

If you need a hand with it I work in Hazelwood and could possibly swing by after work one day.

3 weeks later
#9 10 years ago

Replaced the Opto Popper (solenoid) and still now luck. Got frustrated with not yet being able to play my first game since purchase so I called Pinball Plus. They came out today and it turns out there was a burned out transistor on the board. Tech took the board away to repair and hope to have it back by Friday.

I think it's pretty clear now why I got such a "deal" on the machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 110.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 40.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-opto-popper-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.