(Topic ID: 249629)

Doctor Who opto mystery

By beeker3000

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beeker3000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi, one of the ball lock optos on my mini-playfield isn't registering in switch edge testing and I'm hoping someone can guide me towards next steps. It's just the left-lock opto. The right-lock opto works and I've been using it as the baseline for diagnosing the issue.

So far I've replaced both the transmitter and receiver and verified that they are functioning. I'm also registering 13.4V, same as the right-lock. So it seems that the optos are operational and have "spark". Where should I look next? If this is a board issue, which one is the likely suspect - CPU or Opto Switch board? And is there a way to tell? From just eyeballing the boards I see nothing remarkable about either one. No corrosion or burn marks on either.

Thanks in advance for your help!

#3 4 years ago

Thanks. I verified by soldering the receiver opto to the right-lock (the working one) and it showed up in the switch edge test.

#5 4 years ago

Pinwiki is such a great resource but I always forget to check it. Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

#6 4 years ago

I was able to narrow it down to the opto board thanks to the Pinwiki link. Thanks again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beeker3000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-opto-mystery?tu=beeker3000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.