You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P4020040.JPG
DSC_0153-921.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hi,

When the Mini playfield is down (level 1), when the ball hits the central target and activates the 2 locks, then the switches 71 and 75 (normally used for levels 2 and switched on each time the left and right grey button are hit) are triggered 3 times each without action.
The 2 corresponding columns of red lamps at the left and at the right of the matrix are lit - see attachment -.
The counter of hits which is initially 15 for the level 2 is decreased by 6.
Also when the ball hits metallic parts of the MPF - level 1, the same happens for one contact at a time. It can then happen that level 2 is reached with a counter at 0 and the MPF goes immediately to level 3.

I think of bad contacts with the level 2 optos, but I do not know what to look at. The voltage is good at the 5 receiving optos and varies as expected when the grey button is pushed.

If someone has an idea about the problem, you are welcome to share it

Thanks

DSC_0153-921.JPGDSC_0153-921.JPG

#2 10 years ago

jimy_speedt,

I'm a bit confused. There's a lot going on within your post. There's talk of targets, buttons, switches, lock lights and I'm not sure how they are connected. If you would not mind breaking this down as a "cause-effect".

Set the starting conditions:
MPF Level with PF (Level 1)
Both Lock targets empty
15 time expander lamps all off

Now add what happens next:
Ball hits center target
xxxx happens
Ball hits something else
yyyy happens

Every ball strike is an action.
A lamp light or change in playfield is a reaction/effect.

Also, to help when talking about the next levels in the MPF I would recommend discussing relative to the position of each. Level 2 grey mushroom buttons left to right (1,2,3,4,5) and Level 3 the three Daleks (1,2,3).

This way we're all talking the same lingo and we'll know what's going on.

Thanks,
faz

#3 10 years ago

Your optos behind the gray buttons have cold solder points . Get them out and resolder . It's a very common problem .

#4 10 years ago

Ok sorry for the confusion, I think what I explain is clear and it is not:

- Start
MPF on level 1 (level 2 not accessible)
MPF level 1 Locks inactive
counter level 2 =15
matrix lamps are off

- Ball hits the central target
MPF level 1 locks activated
Red lamps 1,2,3 of left row are lit (with the sound made when a mushroom button is pushed)
Red lamps 1,2,3 of right row are lit (idem)
Counter level 2 is now 9

- Ball hits once a metal parts of the MPF (surrounding the lock holes)
Red lamp 1 of second row is lit
Counter level 2 is 8

(- If the Ball hits 8 more times a metal part, all lamps are lit and counter level 2 goes down to 0)

- Ball 1 locked - Ball 2 locked
MPF goes to level 2
counter is 8, so only 8 hits on mushrooms (and not on the left/right mushrooms) are needed to go to level 3

=>>> problem should be 15 when entering level 2

Is it more clear ?

Thanks

#5 10 years ago

Thanks wellarmed,

I even have the leds so I can replace and resolder.

Only one question: I measure good voltage on the 2 soldered pins of each receiver. Do you confirm that I have to re-solder ? tks

#6 10 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. That helps a lot!

I think I agree with wellarmed, there's a broken solder joint in the opto. The loose connection is causing the opto to false fire. Given that the matrix lamps on the left and right are all firing that implies that the opto switch pairs 71 and 75 are loose. It seems any vibration on the playfield causes the circuit to pulse signaling a false hit. If you are using DR 7 this behavior would be expected. The rattle of switch pairs 71 and 75 are filling the lamps. Additional vibration will score a 'next in matrix' lamp as if you hit any part of the mini playfield.

I would suggest you pull the mini-playfield (I attached a link to a whitepaper that I wrote on the topic).

After that, get to the opto bank and simply plug the opto bank back into the connector. They are all keyed differently, so you cannot put it into the wrong one.

Turn the game on, then, look at the optos through the eye piece of a digital camera or take a photo. The digital camera will be able to show you the sending optos as they capture the IR signal. It looks like the photo included. It can be in attract mode. The IR signal is always sent out.

You should probably see the IR cut in and drop out as you wiggle the wires. Tighten up the solder joints and repeat this test. Repeat until all five optos broadcast continually. This may help multiple tear downs of the MPF.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxwaW5iYWxsZmF6fGd4OjVlYmVlYzE5OTA0MWNlZmQ

Best of luck,
faz

P4020040.JPGP4020040.JPG
#7 10 years ago

It all comes down to you removing the entire mini-playfield assembly, and resoldering those wires on that board.
Have fun, it's not as hard as it looks once you get started.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks all for the good advices. Last time I pulled the mpf and checked the opto bank, the 5 diods were lit when looking with a numeric camera. but if I understand the detailed explanation, if the IR is not soldered properly, it can happen.

I will re -solder and keep you posted. many thanks

1 week later
#10 10 years ago

Any update jimy?

#11 10 years ago

No, I wrote a new message asking if I had done something wrong when soldering new leds, because it did not work.
But the led reseller had swapped the "Transmitter" and "Receiver" leds, so I had worked with the wrong type. Just in case, I tried the other type and it worked.
I have to stop today. I keep you updated when done

#12 10 years ago

I changed the leds of the optos in error and, miracle ! it works, no more side effect when hitting the MPF with the ball.

Hope it will last for a little while

Thank you all for the help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 110.00
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 40.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-opto-contact-mpf-activated-without-reason and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.