• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by krivoap
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ribbon cable to reseat (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider krivoap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi, I’m trying to localize an issue on our DW and welcome any guidance. During game play, the game unexpectedly reset and then started testing cycling the mini playfield up and down. After several minutes of this, I powered the machine off. Upon powering back on, the machine did not re-start. Suspecting an issue with the 5V, I recalled that I had previously installed a Kahr daughter board. After removing the Kahr daughter board, the machine starts and enters test mode. It however reports a ground short in row 1 and then gives a warning as if the playfield glass is off and will not respond to any of the menu buttons. I’m thinking I have an issue with the voltages coming off the WPC driver board but am wondering if the ground short is a separate issue and how best to sort that one out. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#4 5 years ago

Thank you LTG and PinballManiac40!

F114 = contuity, TP1 = 13.88, TP2 = 4.96, TP3 = 1.32, TP4 = 0.41, TP6 = 72.3, TP7 = 21.2. Was fortunate to have a Rottendog driver board (with a minor issue of excess solder causing a short that I corrected) which I then swapped into the machine while I start to work on the original board..but first going to try to tackle an intermittent issue with sound and a new trap door credit dot.

I'll keep you posted how the board repair goes...but in the interim DW is again playable.

#7 5 years ago

Thank you PinballManiac40 - quite helpful.

Only happens intermittently, but the sound get "scratchy" then "drops out" particularly at lower volume settings. Tried reseating the ribbon cables and depending on how this works may decide to replace them.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Some of that description sounds like some caps may need to be replaced on the board. Check out section 6.24.5.4
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Pre-DCS_Sound_Board_Issues

Thanks...for the time being the sound has been fairly stable after reseating the ribbon cables, so focusing on repairing the blown WPC driver board.

1 week later
#11 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Far as the bad WPC driver board is concerned,

Thanks - my replacement components finally arrived, so all I need is to find some quality time to spend with my soldiering iron...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

£ 110.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider krivoap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-odd-behavior-?tu=krivoap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.