• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

outlane (resized).jpg
DAC73675-C854-4A4B-8C43-EA2DB1E2A678 (resized).jpeg
doctor who (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drsfmd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I have an intermittent, but persistent problem in my Doctor Who that has me scratching my head...

Once every few games, 2 balls will be launched into the shooter lane. It never happens at the start of a new ball. It usually happens after locking the first ball into the Tardis, but sometimes upon ball save as well.

I have replaced the switches in the ball trough, in the shooter lane, and the launch button, to no avail. The switches (even the old ones that were replaced) test perfectly in the switch test, 100% of the time.

Any ideas for things to look at? I’m stumped!

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

At first I’d say check diode on shooter lane switch but sounds like you changed all that.
Check for magnetized balls or trough with divots not allowing balls to feed properly

New diode when the switch was installed. Balls were changed recently and are not magnetized. The trough has a cliffy installed, but the problem existed before (and after) the installation of the cliffy.

#4 3 years ago

Bump. Anybody have other ideas?

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Does it kick the first ball out before the 2nd is put in the launcher or does it stack them?

One gets kicked out, auto launches, and the second ball is kicked into the shooter lane before the first ball has come to rest on the VUK.

Quoted from alexanr1:

Only other time I saw something like this was when a game had too many balls in it.

3 balls installed, which is correct.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There are no divots or optos on this era of trough so it's not any of that stuff.
It's almost surely the trough switches themselves, or possibly the lock switches in the moving playfield (does the game think you have a lock?).

Like I said the switches in the trough, shooter lane, and the launch button are all new-- replaced in an effort to resolve this problem.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's also possible it's a "mechanical" issue, in that maybe there's something in the wood / trough area that's causing the balls to sit funny on the switches. A good way to figure out if it's this kind of problem...does it only happen when two balls are in the trough? Like, you just locked a ball and now two get kicked out? If so it's probably this.

I've spent a lot of time tinkering with those switches, but I'll pull the apron again, and tinker more.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Perhaps take off the apron and carefully watch how it's operating when balls move around in there.
Beyond that I'd carefully check the MPU board for acid damage.

MPU is good. No acid damage at all, NVRAM installed by Aardvark about 18 months ago.

#11 3 years ago

They are all on the same column in the switch matrix. I haven't had any problems with the coin door switch or the slam tilt switch, but I should probably take a closer look at J206-2.

doctor who (resized).jpgdoctor who (resized).jpg
#13 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Break the opto beam(VUK) as soon as you launch the ball and see if another ball if released in the outlane. Eliminate any opto issues
are you sure you are seeing the trough switch closing in switch test? Have you buzzed it with a meter?
May have to repin the connector .

The trough switches are mechanical, not optos. Yes, the trough switches open and close as appropriate during switch tests with a ball. I am not able to find any errors during repeated switch tests.

#14 3 years ago

For some reason, I can't edit the post... I'll check the VUK opto. I haven't tested that one yet.

#17 3 years ago

I took a close look with the apron off, and played about 10 games without the problem occurring. First game with the apron back on, it happened again.Arrrggghhh!!!

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah that sucks but look at it this way - maybe it has something to do with the apron!
You can't discount ANYTHING when it comes to annoying shit like this.

Hmmm... I’m not sure what it could possibly be on the apron, but I’ll tinker some more tonight.

#20 3 years ago

Oh, and for the record, the drain switch, the three trough switches, the two shooter lane switches and the telephone onto all checked out just fine.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

I know you checked it but it sure sounds like a problem with the trough switch for ball 1 or 2.
My theory.. it happens when a ball is locked. 2 balls in trough. 1 kicks out. The machine isn't seeing a ball missing so kicks out another. Perhaps the switch for ball 1 isn't registering if another ball isn't pushing it???

It’s a good theory, but I tested the trough with a single ball, and it registered every time. I *could* move the Cliffy a bit and see if it helps any, but the problem existed before the Cliffy was installed.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Take a pic of the apron, lets see how the metal rod is mounted, maybe the ball is making contact as it ejects into the outlane.

I don’t understand- you want a photo of the apron installed, looking into the eject hole?

#27 3 years ago

I think this is the photo you’re asking for...

DAC73675-C854-4A4B-8C43-EA2DB1E2A678 (resized).jpegDAC73675-C854-4A4B-8C43-EA2DB1E2A678 (resized).jpeg
#30 3 years ago

I'll give that a try after work and report back.

But the apron isn't part of that equation, so I'm not sure why the problem goes away when the apron isn't in place.

#31 3 years ago

Bent the ball guide as suggested-- no change.

#34 3 years ago

So Aphex and I tinkered around with it again tonight, and I think we *might* have figured it out. The ball guide that sits horizontally above the outhole had a gap that was significantly smaller than the other WPC games in my collection. We bent that, and played a handful of games without the double launch happening... so we may have stumbled into the solution.

#35 3 years ago

...and... it just did it to both of us in a two player game.

*sigh*

1 year later
#38 1 year ago
Quoted from martymart:

I know this is an older post although I would like to know if this was resolved as I am seeing the same issue on a Dr Who machine.

Nope. It doesn't happen often, but maybe once every 10 games it will randomly happen.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Have you checked for broken/loose wire at J206-2 on the MPU?
Bad solder connections on the outhole switch itself or wrong gap.
Perhaps the outhole switch is just failing and is sticking closed for too long and releasing a 2nd ball bcuz it doesn't close fast enough. What have you tried to remedy the situation?

I swapped the outhole switches for new ones.

I don't remember if I checked J206-2 or not, but I will (the other poster zombied an almost 2 year old thread of mine). I'll report back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drsfmd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-occasionally-launching-2-balls-into-shooter-lane?tu=drsfmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.