Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0-8 (resized).jpeg
0-5 (resized).jpeg
0-7 (resized).jpeg
0-4 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I posted over on the Who forums, but thought I would try to reach a larger tech audience.

I just installed some NVRAM in my Who, and now it's not booting.

LED 19 On
LED 20 Off
LED 21 On

So blanking circuit is on.

All traces meter out including from NVRAM to the ASIC and the ASCI blanking to their respective areas, NVRAM installed correctly, no solder bridges.

I tested 5V on the NVRAM and socket and it is coming in at 4.72. The main test point on the driver board is 4.97 so a pretty significant drop. The solder joint looks fine, no cracks, etc.

If it's voltage related, what should I be looking for?
0-4 (resized).jpeg0-4 (resized).jpeg0-5 (resized).jpeg0-5 (resized).jpeg0-7 (resized).jpeg0-7 (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

OK, this is most definitely related to my work

I swapped the ribbon cable-no change
Installed a diff NVRAm-no change
Swapped CPU's between White Water and Who. WW worked in Who, Who would not work in WW.

I metered out U6, D1, J210 and W4 all in range.

I metered out the VCC on U8 on W1 and it was 4.64. I believe the pinout of the 6264 I read stating that pin 28 was 5V is incorrect. I believe it should be in range of the battery at 4.5 as D1 VCC side was also 4.72.

So perhaps I am running too high?

Either way, this is most definitely related to my work. Not sure if it is worth the risk to hit it with the Hakko and then reflow or just send it off to get repaired. I would hate to make it worse.

#3 2 years ago

I know that you said you buzzed the connections, but there is still at least one that is not correct.
A repairman will remove your work and examine the top side traces and through holes.
Before you send it off, apply power, and use your logic probe to see if any of the pins of the NVRAM do NOT have a signal on them. Most pins should be pulsing. Some pins may be stuck high or low. Consult schematics to see if those pins being stuck makes sense.

You are really looking for a pin with no signal on it.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I know that you said you buzzed the connections, but there is still at least one that is not correct.
A repairman will remove your work and examine the top side traces and through holes.
Before you send it off, apply power, and use your logic probe to see if any of the pins of the NVRAM do NOT have a signal on them. Most pins should be pulsing. Some pins may be stuck high or low. Consult schematics to see if those pins being stuck makes sense.
You are really looking for a pin with no signal on it.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Thank you! I just went and looked over everything again and Pin 6 (A4) was looking a little suspect. I have continuity top and bottom side to game ROM, but not with the ASIC.

So that looks lie it. I am not sure if I missed this before of if this was the result of my recent reflow. My guess is I removed the through hole with the Hakko. I'll try and jumper this and see where that gets me.

#5 2 years ago

Thank you!!!!!

0-8 (resized).jpeg0-8 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
£ 110.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-not-booting-after-nvram-install and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.