Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switch (resized).JPG
plug 2 (resized).jpg
Playfield glass (resized).jpg
Plug 1 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

As I continue to try and clean up my Doctor Who game, I found two male connectors with no female counter part anywhere around. Both of them are near the flippers buttons, one on each side. Not sure what they do, as the game doesn't seem to have anything not working right now.

Also, the playfield glass switch is disconnected and I can't find a connector to go to it, but I did find the same colored wires in a bundle of four (vs 2 on the connector). They physically can reach each other however.

Pictures attached...anyone have ideas?

Playfield glass (resized).jpgPlayfield glass (resized).jpgPlug 1 (resized).jpgPlug 1 (resized).jpgplug 2 (resized).jpgplug 2 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from mwrussel:

As I continue to try and clean up my Doctor Who game, I found two male connectors with no female counter part anywhere around. Both of them are near the flippers buttons, one on each side. Not sure what they do, as the game doesn't seem to have anything not working right now.
Also, the playfield glass switch is disconnected and I can't find a connector to go to it, but I did find the same colored wires in a bundle of four (vs 2 on the connector). They physically can reach each other however.
Pictures attached...anyone have ideas?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Don't worry about the coin door area connectors.
The playfield glass switch looks it is twisted together, so it is always closed. There is discussion in the Dr. Who thread about the PF glass switch.

#3 4 years ago

The playfield glass switch looks it is twisted together, so it is always closed. There is discussion in the Dr. Who thread about the PF glass switch.

That would make sense. I can always move the miniplayfield with the glass off. I can't find in the manual how the wiring works or where it actually goes to/from. That spliced wire comes out of a plastic sleve containing a whole bundle of wires. It appears to come from the direction of under the pf. There's a green/white on the switch and that bundle looks the same to me, but I dont understand why the twisted bundle is two sets of green and white.

I found your post from about 10 months ago, but haven't been able to find the thread you speak of. Did you ever get photos of the switch?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from mwrussel:

I can't find in the manual how the wiring works or where it actually goes to/from.

Trust me it's in the manual. It's a bit tedious but every strand is in there. Does this help?

switch (resized).JPGswitch (resized).JPG

#6 4 years ago

If your machine is like mine, the 3 pin female plug near the power supply is a spare DC power output for use with whatever mods that you might want to add. So, it normally has nothing connected to it unless you add something extra.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

If your machine is like mine, the 3 pin female plug near the power supply is a spare DC power output for use with whatever mods that you might want to add. So, it normally has nothing connected to it unless you add something extra.

Some people want to add several mods and get a splitter board like this one (see link):
https://www.pinballlife.com/power-tap-and-8-way-power-splitter-board-for-williamsbally-wpc-95-pinball-machines.html

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Trust me it's in the manual. It's a bit tedious but every strand is in there. Does this help?
[quoted image]

Thanks faz. So, I did see that, but am still having difficulty understanding where these wires go. When I unwrapped the bundle of four wires I can't tell anything except its a bundle of two greens and two whites (i'm partially colorblind, so I can distinguish the more subtle color markers). I'm pretty sure two of them are from the glass switch becuase when I turned on the pin with them unbundled, the warnings about the mpf started and the mpf would not move.

I have a DMM, but am unsure if there is a correct way to check for continuity, I just checked for low/no resistance between the bare end and J206-9...I got strange value on both green wires....same pattern when I checked the white wires. I think i'm not understanding some fundamental logic of the switch matrix.

Thanks for your help.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

[quoted image]

Ahh, finally got it figured out. I separated all the wires and found the whites needed to be connected to keep all the switches on the second row working, the greens needed to be connected to let down stream switches work. I put the green bundle and white bundle on the corresponding playfield glass wires and the switch started working properly. Just need to get a plug for them and it will be back. Thanks for the prompt on the matrix...once again I learned a ton that I did not know before.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
£ 110.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 85.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-mystery-plugs-and-broken-wire-on-playfield-glass-switch?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.