IMAG0283.jpg
IMG_20130225_213259.jpg
2013-02-25_16-41-16_393.jpg
2013-02-25_16-41-33_42.jpg
Optotest.jpg
Clusterfluck.jpg
OptoLights.jpg
P4020040.JPG
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

Use a dremel and cut off the top of the screw so it is able to drop through the hole. (I did this on my ES after snapping a dozen or so posts) No problem!

I like using the putty style epoxy for hole repairs myself. A little cleaner than epoxy, and usually can be found where it dries in a wood color, so painting can be kept to a minimum, or at least gives you a good base to start.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Use a dremel and cut off the top of the screw so it is able to drop through the hole.

Definitely do this if you are able. If the nut is to close to the playfield or you dont have the tools then you need to start trying products to unbind the threads. I had a similar issue with a t-nut and screw on my mpf. I used penetrating oil. Apply in small amounts so that you only get it on the t-nut and screw. Give it time to soak in and add some more.

#53 11 years ago

If I understand your problem, I'd vise grip the bolt (screw) that is in the T-nut, then drill out the bolt from the t-nut side.

#54 11 years ago

Another thought. I've put a wood screw in next to the t-nut under the playfield to hold it in place. Pretty easy solution if you can.

#55 11 years ago

Try this if you can. Photo copied from internet.

// Error: Image 78354 not found //

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

a wood screw in next to the t-nut under the playfield

Thanks, I see *a lot* of those under my playfield. I'm afraid to look under them now. I would rather fill the hole back in first (it's deeper than the kickstand hole), but definitely want to do this too.

dsuperbee - I can do that Well, I mean, after I replace that bit - tore it up on my last project. The screw will come up something between an eighth and a quarter inch from the playfield, a cutting bit should just clear the bracket. Where can I get new screws? I need four (might as well do them all) of this one, and then four of the ones that hold the dalek drop target bank onto the bottom of the MPF. Bleah.....I'm typing this scatterbrained, it's a good thing I'm not speaking! What I meant was, I know some sites that carry screws, and I know the manual tells me what screws (and possibly how many) are in it, but how do I know what ones *those* are?

Thanks for all the help....I'll post my new problems here!

I did get it working for several hours though, and once I introduced my daughter to the game, I couldn't get her off it. An hour straight her first ever time on any pinball. That's my girl

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

putty style epoxy

Is that the same as wood filler? (I know, dumb question)

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

Is that the same as wood filler? (I know, dumb question)

I believe so. I get mine when I need it from Home Depot/Lowes/etc... Most will have show what color it dries.

As for screws, if they are normal screws, and not posts, you might be able to find them at hardware stores. I have an ACE nearby I go to to buy misc screws, because I can buy em in the amount I need, and they have a super helpful staff.

Metal posts, on the other hand, you will need to find on pinball sites. Exactly what post(s) do you need? My DW is still in teardown/fix mode, so all the metal posts are easily reachable. Send me a PM with a pic, and I can measure it for you.

#59 11 years ago

They aren't posts, it's the screws that hold the mini playfield to the main playfield, with the bracket. And the smaller ones that hold the Dalek drop target scoops thing to the bottom of the mini-playfield. Mine all have locking washers on them, but I'm not sure they are standard/original style or whatever someone had on hand to throw in there.

#60 11 years ago

My MPF was held on with bolts and wing nuts, the T-nuts were gone!

I am not even sure what size t-nut belongs there, but grab one of those, and take it to your local hardware store, and get the proper length. I would do the same for the screws on the MPF. (Mine was held on with one stripped screw. Gotta love re-imports!)

#61 11 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking that too - Gotta go to the store to get the screws, why not just bring them with me and tell the guy "I need these" and let him dig through the bins.

Wow, I bet wing nuts would work great though. Make removing it to adjust a heck of a lot easier!

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

Yeah, I was thinking that too - Gotta go to the store to get the screws, why not just bring them with me and tell the guy "I need these" and let him dig through the bins.
Wow, I bet wing nuts would work great though. Make removing it to adjust a heck of a lot easier!

I will be using standard nylon lock nuts, just for peace of mind. Don't want wing nuts working loose!

That's not even the worst. Got at least a dozen stripped out screw holes to fix, hacked wiring harnesses, and a missing opto mount plate that is impossible to find

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I will be using standard nylon lock nuts, just for peace of mind. Don't want wing nuts working loose!
That's not even the worst. Got at least a dozen stripped out screw holes to fix, hacked wiring harnesses, and a missing opto mount plate that is impossible to find

Which opto mount plate are you missing? I have a few odds and end left over.

#64 11 years ago

Which opto mount plate are you missing? I have a few odds and end left over.

The metal mount that the flipper opto board and the opto interrupter mounts to right next to the flipper button.

Looks just like this:

IMAG0283.jpgIMAG0283.jpg

#65 11 years ago

Lots of people working on DW's right now. Yeesh.

I've got mine working (FOR NOW, LOLZ. We'll see if it stands up to TPF or not!!) but frankly, the thing is so overly complicated I don't even understand what's being said on half of this thread. I just can visualize the parts in question!

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I've got mine working

You realize you likely jinxed it just there I'm finding it isn't that *complicated* (and I just jinxed it too) so far, just really really tedious, as far as taking the mpf out, adjusting something, placing and and testing, seems okay, so screw it down and it doesn't work. Rinse, repeat. And then when there's a thing you can't even reach without cutting one of your arms off and attaching it onto the other side, it can get frustrating.

Quoted from Frax:

I don't even understand what's being said on half of this thread

Heh - but with all the people working on theirs, there are tons to help you if yours develops issues.

FINALLY got the screw out. Dremel cutting bit, let the sparks fly! One hit with an awl and it dropped right out. I only had to remove the large ramp, a bumper, and a rubbers post to get to where I could get the dremel in there! Also found screws that fit (and match) the ones holding the dalek scoop to the MPF and the main MPF bracket down on the top side of the playfield - and matching Tnuts. (Lowes - surprised they had them) So OF COURSE the 50 bajillion pots and tubes of wood filler are no where to be found.....

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I will be using standard nylon lock nuts

I had one of those stuck, too. Bottom of a slingshot post. Funny, I either find ones that I can't get undone at all, or ones that haven't been screwed in more than 1/4 of the way for a long time.

I will just be replacing like with like....though in the case of your wingnuts, you're right!

#68 11 years ago

That opto mount plate doesn't look familiar. Hopefully just because I haven't had to take it apart yet, and not because it isn't there!

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

That opto mount plate doesn't look familiar. Hopefully just because I haven't had to take it apart yet, and not because it isn't there!

The opto board and opto interrupter mount to that plate, then the plate mounts next to the flipper buttons on the inside of the cab. I am missing one, and trying to find one to use (they were used from TAF through TZ) before I resort to something else. Have had 0 luck so far.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 110.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 85.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-mpf-optos-issue/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.