Doctor Who MPF No CW Movement

By Zimbob

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi Fellow PinHeads! I need help with my Doctor Who machine. I cannot get the MPF to move clockwise in test or in play. I have been able to get cw & ccw movement by grounding the proper inputs to U2 on the power driver board and I have even swapped the power driver board with the one in my Getaway machine and I still have the same results. So I'm thinking the issue has nothing to do with the power driver board or the bi-directional motor controller board. It's almost as if the CPU board is not sending the proper low signal during test to pins 4 and 17 of U2. CPU board is new. So I'm stumped. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

#2 8 years ago

What about the optos?

I have no advice on the cpu stuff (far beyond me). But I'm wondering if it's something more basic like a bad opto.

The one at the base of the MPF that reads the cam position.

Run a switch test and try it out.
faz

#3 8 years ago

If you have the playfield glass out, the safety interlock in the upper left corner of the playfield will disable the mini playfield. Don't ask how I know that tidbit.

#4 8 years ago

Did you ground the inputs of U2 with everything connected?
Those inputs are the data lines D2 and D3 and if you ground them, it would also drive lamp-matrix and other solenoids.
Did something like that happen ?

Possible bad connection on asic U9 or bad U12 on CPU board.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the replies. It's not the opto and I know about the playfield glass switch. I just use a chunk of cardboard stuffed in there to keep it closed. I have tried grounding D2 and D3 and it does set off other solenoids. Grounding Q2 and Q3 of U2 gives me both CW & CCW movement so I know the power transistor circuits are fine. Just to be sure, I have swapped my power driver board from my Getaway with the same results. I'm hoping it's not a bad U12 on CPU board as it is new. When I get a chance, I'll swap the CPU board from Getaway and see if that solves the issue. Maybe it is just a open contact on the ASIC. The thing is, in play, it seems to work, except when the MPF comes up to show the 5 opto buttons, it'll drop just a hair making it a tight fit for the ball to completely press some of the buttons. This may be just a mechanical adjustment. I'll post again once I've figured it out. Thanks.

#6 8 years ago

To be more clear, I was not asking to ground U2 inputs but was more surprised that you tested the Powerdriver this way.

A simple and quick test to see if all data lines are transferred from U12 CPUboard to the Powerdriver is a lamptest T9.
If all lamps are flashing on and off, you can be sure that D2 and D3 are working.
And if all is working + replaced Powerdriver, it is likely a problem with the miniplayfield itself. Maybe switch for the position of MPF.

#7 8 years ago

Let me take a stab at this. Is it a rottendog powerdriver board? I had this same issue and it turned out to the that the data and power pins were backwards on the connector. Swap the wires on Pins 3 and 4 of J122 and see if the problem goes away.

#8 8 years ago

Had exactly the same issue and due to the fact you say it drops a little at the top leads me to believe you have an alignment issue.

Refit the shaft of the motor onto the arbour - make sure the two grub screws are nice and tight. What is happening is that the assembly is probably slipping or slightly out of alignment on the flat of the motor shaft as it turns. Then the opto triggers but it is probably a few milliseconds outside the normal range and the machine thinks there is an error.

I temporarily fixed it by aligning and retightening but the shaft had a bit too much slop in it and i ended up having to replace the motor and gearbox. Very frustrating problem to find as everything tests fine like you have described.

1 year later
#9 7 years ago

Bumping an old thread to see if the OP managed to fix this issue.

I am having exactly the same problem, where the playfield will not move clockwise, but can move counterclockwise. The motor moves up and down just fine with an external power source. No binding or scraping when installed into the cabinet. However, it cannot move back down after raising the playfield in gameplay, and all CW tests fail in test mode. However, there is some strange behaviour in test mode. During the CW tests, the playfield will do nothing, but will then move counterclockwise for the last second of the CW test.

I have checked the optos - all good. Power driver board is known to be working. I just rebuilt the entire mini playfield from the ground up, so there is no issue with old grease. The motor works properly and the gearbox has no stripped gears.

Also like the OP, the playfield drops a little bit when it lowers to the second level (the mushroom buttons).

In response to robm's post, I have just made sure that the grub screws are tight on the arbor. No slipping.

I am tearing my hair out with this issue. Any help is appreciated.

#10 7 years ago

Here is a video showing the behaviour:

Note the lack of CW movement, but good CCW movement. Also note the way the playfield drops slightly when lowering to the second level.

#11 7 years ago

Wow, I feel like an idiot.

All fixed now. The wiring from J122 to the motor driver board was incorrect in the manual, so I "fixed" it. The wires going to the motor board were reversed. Turns out, the manual is actually wrong, and these wires are meant to be the "wrong" way around.

So the moral of the story is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#12 7 years ago

Good news, now go play

4 months later
#13 7 years ago

Thanks all to the above suggestions. It turned out that my issue was the J122, pin 3 and 4 wires being swapped. In my case, the wires needed to match what's in the manual.

1 year later
#14 5 years ago

Bumping this up because I was getting the "No CW Movement/No CCW Movement error" and had another cause not mentioned here--wanted to include it for future searches. Turns out it was an issue with the bi-directional motor board under the playfield (Bally/Williams part number A-15680/A-14768). A capacitor had burst, causing the problems. New boards are available at Pinball Life and Marco:

https://www.pinballlife.com/bi-directional-motor-drive-board-for-ballywilliams-machines-a-15680a-14768.html
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15680

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

£ 110.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-mpf-no-cw-movement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.