View topic image gallery

IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0104.jpg
image.jpg
image-500.jpg
image-330.jpg
image.jpg
There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Wondering what the difference is between the original and the Pinballtoys kit

There's plenty of videos out there. It's not so much how it's activated, it's what it looks like when it is activated. The original design by Pfutz took into account the slow/menacing nature of the Dalek in the design. The more current servo designs are quick, choppy, overshoot center and IMO just look like a toy.

faz

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

There's plenty of videos out there. It's not so much how it's activated, it's what it looks like when it is activated. The original design by Pfutz took into account the slow/menacing nature of the Dalek in the design. The more current servo designs are quick, choppy, overshoot center and IMO just look like a toy.
faz

The original design is definitely superior - and the entire assembly is a big chunk of hardware - it’s too bad these are not produced any longer; even at $360 I think that’s a great investment. But the Pinballtoys one is good for what it is

#153 5 years ago

Traded away mine recently that was a sample with the original hardware. The moving topper really does add to the look of the game. The current mod is just cheap compared to the original hardware.

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Traded away mine recently that was a sample with the original hardware. The moving topper really does add to the look of the game. The current mod is just cheap compared to the original hardware.

Any reason why you sold it?

#155 5 years ago

I am gonna going to find a way to put the R2D2 topper on. That way they can stare each other down and talk to each other. Topper Wars , if you will.

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I am gonna going to find a way to put the R2D2 topper on. That way they can stare each other down and talk to each other. Topper Wars , if you will.

Probably a cyberman head would be more appropriate... but keeping with the continuity of the game The Master would be the ultimate. His TARDIS was just a column for most of the seasons... kinda boring. Although, his shrouded head (Star Wars 1977 Empire Master like) would be pretty awesome.

faz

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Probably a cyberman head would be more appropriate... but keeping with the continuity of the game The Master would be the ultimate. His TARDIS was just a column for most of the seasons... kinda boring. Although, his shrouded head (Star Wars 1977 Empire Master like) would be pretty awesome.
faz

Awesome idea!

#158 5 years ago

Any reason why you sold it?

I collect games with 1500 or less made. It was neat that it was a sample, but I have a few other samples and this didn't really fit with what I want in my collection. Ended up trading towards to very rare machines (500 made and 100 made) so it was a no brainer.

#159 5 years ago

A kit came up on eBay for the original motor based movement. Purchased and will install. I'll keep the Pinballtoys one too as I already built it. It was not installed as I ordered a slower servo unit and waiting for the servo unit to arrive. My thought is that the servo based one is good for home use only.

#160 5 years ago

A kit came up on eBay for the original motor based movement. Purchased and will install. I'll keep the Pinballtoys one too as I already built it. It was not installed as I ordered a slower servo unit and waiting for the servo unit to arrive. My thought is that the servo based one is good for home use only.

How much did you pay?

#161 5 years ago

$362.00 Plus $20.00 shipping. Way higher than the Pinballtoys one!!

#162 5 years ago

$362.00 Plus $20.00 shipping. Way higher than the Pinballtoys one!!

Actually I was gonna say that's an awesome deal! good for you

#163 5 years ago

Hi
you could partially install mine, in that way get the benefit of the 'breathing' lights in the head
cheers Bob

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballtoys:

Hi
you could partially install mine, in that way get the benefit of the 'breathing' lights in the head
cheers Bob

Yes!! I noticed that there are no lights in the other kit. Will combine both for the full effect!!

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballtoys:

Hi
cheers Bob

The “breathing” lights do really look awesome. FWIW when you install, make sure the led is not pushed right up against the plastic; if you do that it leads to a single bright spot instead of illuminating the whole dome thing

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The “breathing” lights do really look awesome. FWIW when you install, make sure the led is not pushed right up against the plastic; if you do that it leads to a single bright spot instead of illuminating the whole dome thing

Hi All
here's a video clip that shows the breathing effect and the movement of a servo-motor based system
When i wanted to add this to my game there was nothing on the market available for sensible money, so being an electronics engineer by trade i thought i'd make my own! see this youtube

When the Daleks moving your most likely caught up in frantic play and don't even notice it moving, so i added the lighting effect for less intense moments and attract mode

I only have six kits left for immediate next day dispatch, will make more if demand but i'm very busy person
cheers Bob

1 week later
1 month later
#168 5 years ago

I finally installed the Dalek kit from Basementarcade. Took a day to get it just about right. There are a lot of adjustments to make. The instructions are detailed and walk you through the install. Very cool and the kit is extremely well engineered and of good quality. Must have taken the guy a long time to design and then make. The other kit made by Pinball Toys is up for sale on Ebay. Its neat but nothing like the Basementarcade one. I didn't want to combine the two kits for fear of incompatibility. The Pinball Toys one does have a neat breathing effect for Dalek.

#169 5 years ago

It took almost a year to get the Basementarcade kit to the point of production. It was almost 20 years ago and we noticed even then that not all Dalek heads were the same. Sitting in warehouses and other conditions made the dimensions slightly change. Original Bally heads had a pretty big gap between the head and the body. Mark wanted that gone. So he designed it to be adjustable. He also designed and built all of the wiring harness connectors so there would be no wire splicing. It was a huge engineering feat. Unfortunately, it’s a slow process and he’s a one man shop.

My part in the deal was beta tester and documentation. I also did the initial marketing because Mark was better known at the time for Arcade Video Games.

If a bunch of people want kits (~10), I’ll ask him to make more. There are a lot of steps to produce and costly materials in them.

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

It took almost a year to get the Basementarcade kit to the point of production. It was almost 20 years ago and we noticed even then that not all Dalek heads were the same. Sitting in warehouses and other conditions made the dimensions slightly change. Original Bally heads had a pretty big gap between the head and the body. Mark wanted that gone. So he designed it to be adjustable. He also designed and built all of the wiring harness connectors so there would be no wire splicing. It was a huge engineering feat. Unfortunately, it’s a slow process and he’s a one man shop.
My part in the deal was beta tester and documentation. I also did the initial marketing because Mark was better known at the time for Arcade Video Games.
If a bunch of people want kits (~10), I’ll ask him to make more. There are a lot of steps to produce and costly materials in them.

What would the cost of the kit be? I may be interested.

#171 5 years ago

I'd be interested too depending on price.

#172 5 years ago

Me as well.

#174 5 years ago

Count me in

#175 5 years ago

I'm in for a kit as well.

#176 5 years ago

Needs to be in parts/mods for sale- this isn't a machine.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I'd likely be in for one Al.

3 weeks later
#178 5 years ago

I'm in, as well. Would love to add one to my DW.

#179 5 years ago

Count me in as well for 1

#180 5 years ago

I can reproduce the mechanicals of this kit, just not the electronics. I have the servo kit, its good, but I think it is time to reproduce these kits. Are the original designers still around?

1 month later
#181 5 years ago

Any updates on this?

5 months later
#182 4 years ago

Hey Al, I would be in on one also

3 years later
#183 1 year ago

Hi! I know this threat is inactive but I would love to add this candy to my Doctor Who pinball machine. Any chance to receive one in Spain?...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

£ 110.00
$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-moving-head-original-wobblehead-kit/page/4?hl=unlockpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.