Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P4020041 (resized).JPG
6420FE86-593B-441A-AFAD-71DCBBF0E7FE (resized).jpeg
2C3F3D66-F09A-476C-B459-31F0D665AA2B (resized).jpeg
92B8AC47-7EAA-42B0-861E-A1638327F272 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

I'm having an issue with my Doctor Who mini playfield. I was hoping someone could tell me what I would need to do to fix the mini playfield so it stops giving all these errors upon start up of the machine and during test mode of the mini playfield. Here is a video:

The startup machine test is near the end of the video...

Note: I just bought this machine, it's very dirty, and i'm in the process of cleaning everything.

Disregard the ball's lost thing, I don't have them in the machine right now as i'm working on it.

#2 4 years ago

The plug associated with those switches is j206 so you could try and reseat the plug. The wires are violet and green so you could inspect them for any signs. Could you go into switch edge test and post a pic of the switch matrix. Also you could do a jumper test on the switch matrix to see if it is on the board or on the playfield.

#3 4 years ago

OK, i'll double check the connection. It's J2 plug on the 10-opto board it appears. I'm also ordering a 10 opto board and a 5 bank opto board as a precaution. I'm guessing if I replace both those boards there should be zero issues. Sort of the sledgehammer approach but i'm not able to repair boards myself.

How do you read the switch matrix on screen? I'm confused as to how you are supposed to interpret it (this is my first pinball machine!)

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

OK, i'll double check the connection. It's J2 plug on the 10-opto board it appears. I'm also ordering a 10 opto board and a 5 bank opto board as a precaution. I'm guessing if I replace both those boards there should be zero issues. Sort of the sledgehammer approach but i'm not able to repair boards myself.
How do you read the switch matrix on screen? I'm confused as to how you are supposed to interpret it (this is my first pinball machine!)

Replacing boards is a good start, but connectors usually end up being problems as well, especially at J206 on the MPU if there was Battery Acid Damage.

If you really want to eliminate issues, buy the Pindorabox IR boards, any others are just garbage. Also, if you are rmoving the MPF and tearing it down, I would replace the single optos on that unit as well. Taking that unit out is not easy and it is easy to bend the frame. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with this and keep us posted.

#5 4 years ago

On the coin door there is some buttons to go into credits and diagnostics. So hit begin test and go to main menu scroll over till main menu test. Then enter switch edge test shows up enter again to see switch matrix.

92B8AC47-7EAA-42B0-861E-A1638327F272 (resized).jpeg92B8AC47-7EAA-42B0-861E-A1638327F272 (resized).jpeg6420FE86-593B-441A-AFAD-71DCBBF0E7FE (resized).jpeg6420FE86-593B-441A-AFAD-71DCBBF0E7FE (resized).jpeg2C3F3D66-F09A-476C-B459-31F0D665AA2B (resized).jpeg2C3F3D66-F09A-476C-B459-31F0D665AA2B (resized).jpeg
#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

I'm also ordering a 10 opto board and a 5 bank opto board as a precaution. I'm guessing if I replace both those boards there should be zero issues. Sort of the sledgehammer approach but i'm not able to repair boards myself.

Throwing parts at it could help but gets costly and always doesn’t fix the problem. This could be as simple as something touching something it’s not suppose to or a bad diode on a switch ,a broken wire. I could go on forever cause there is so much to learn.

#7 4 years ago

your test video shows a bad opto on the left middle mushroom switch.
So, pindorabox.com opto boards.

Order the swinks opto carrier in black.
This is important.

Even with a new carrier from marco the optos will get misaligned and continuously give you errors.

Get a new motor controller board as well as a 10 opto board.

I got the homepin boards and have had good results.

The rest is a matter of connectors and brittle wires that might have to be addressed.

from the video your frame and motor/gearbox seem to working good enough.

#8 4 years ago

I get you want it fixed but you may want to check your boards first before you swap in the new ones. If you fix your old, you resell the old ones as NOS.

IF you have a CPU issue, broken wire, connector issue the problem will follow.

Pull the MPF, get the optos out and plug the connector back in. The view the opto emitters from a camera (iphone works) to see if the emitters are glowing. They are on 100% of the time. If any are out, start there... reflow solder, check continuity to the connector.

P4020041 (resized).JPGP4020041 (resized).JPG

faz

#9 4 years ago

Thanks guys! I'll keep you updated. Back to the switch test. What is the grid on the left on the Dirty harry screenshot supposed to depict? Thats the part I don't understand how to interpret.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

Thanks guys! I'll keep you updated. Back to the switch test. What is the grid on the left on the Dirty harry screenshot supposed to depict? Thats the part I don't understand how to interpret.

The switch matrix represents columns and rows, that when activated show the closure or opening, in an Optos case. Press a target or other switch and it will provide the corresponding switch number, and wire color.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 110.00
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-mini-playfield-testing-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.