11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by rgb635
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cyclejones.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out and that this is a short within the mini-playfield and not a larger board issue...

For people who have a Doctor Who machine, you know the sequence that happens when the time expander isn't lit and you get a ball into one of the locks? how it makes that spacey-wacey sound and then pops the ball back out of the lock?

my machine is doing that any time mini playfield gets hit by the ball, and if the ball does go into the lock even when the time expander should be lit, it still kicks it back out at me. sometimes it even does it on it's own without being hit. I've also had a few times where after I go into the menu and run mini-playfield tests (which all show no errors), once I get the glass back on and hit start, the playfield which usually goes up and down once after a restart, will go up and down repeatedly over and over until I open the coin door and open the menu.

any thoughts? I really hope it's not something in the board, but this is something I haven't seen before.

3 months later
#7 10 years ago

Update: So after taking out the MPF and cleaning all of the sensors/contacts, the problem persisted. A switch test revealed switch 77 (right opto) was open (should be closed). I ordered a new set of opto's and replaced them. there was a crack and quite a bit of yellowing on the transmit LED that i replaced. put the whole thing back together. The problem still persists. A multimeter test of the IR receiver switch (its the only part I can reach with probes when the machine is assembled shows that the correct voltage is going to the wires, and if it bypass the switch by contacting the leads with a piece of wire, the test chimes and shows closed but only for a moment with each contact. I cannot get it to remain closed with continued contact. Any ideas?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 85.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 110.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cyclejones.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-mini-playfield-shorting-issue?tu=cyclejones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.