(Topic ID: 182176)

Doctor Who Mini-Playfield Optical Switch LEDs - Ok to use standard?

By acebathound

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

infrared.jpg
IR_LED_LIFE (resized).jpg
P4020039 (resized).JPG
IMG_2602 (resized).PNG
#1 7 years ago

I have standard 5mm infrared optical receiver/sender leds. I'm assuming these will be an okay replacements for the small PCBs that make up the optical switches for the white 3D circle targets on the Doctor Who mini-playfield, but wanted to check here first before redoing them. The senders are yellowish in color, I have standard clear senders & then the purplish/black receivers. Can't imagine there's any difference or maybe the clear yellowed over time. But easier to ask here

One or two of the optical switches is malfunctioning and I figure I'll just replace them all while the mini-playfield is out.

#2 7 years ago

think the original LEDs may be a slightly different wavelength but if you going to change ALL pairs with the new 940nm LEDs then that should be fine, thats what i did it on my DW
bob

#3 7 years ago

Just make sure they're the same length as the originals. I found out the ones I used were too long and when the targets were hit they stayed in and got damaged. So I took a dremel tool and ground down the new ones to the same size as the originals.

#4 7 years ago

Great info guys, thanks a lot!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

Just make sure they're the same length as the originals. I found out the ones I used were too long and when the targets were hit they stayed in and got damaged. So I took a dremel tool and ground down the new ones to the same size as the originals.

I see what you mean about the length. The senders are the same, the original receivers though are shorter. And the switch "pole" would hit them. What a PITA. Which end can even be shaved? The top wouldn't seem like a great idea since it'd mess with the optics. The base where the led lead goes into would be a PITA to shave around the lead.

Currently working on checking out the originals.. at least the senders anyway. Apparently a phone camera can't show infrared like a digital camera can? I didn't have high hopes there but it's looking that way so I just ran upstairs for a digital camera

#6 7 years ago

I only had to use the black ones. I can't remember which one is which though. I ground it down to half of what you see here. Which basically is the same as the original. Even if you had to grind the clear one it would probably work since it's in an enclosed space. However make sure when you're done that you cover up any holes where light can spill in.

IMG_2602 (resized).PNGIMG_2602 (resized).PNG

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

I only had to use the black ones. I can't remember which one is which though. I ground it down to half of what you see here. Which basically is the same as the original. Even if you had to grind the clear one it would probably work since it's in an enclosed space. However make sure when you're done that you cover up any holes where light can spill in.

You ground the top of it and not at the base then from the sounds of it, right? Would have thought not having it smooth & shiny so light can pass through would affect the performance of the receiver / Rx (black led).

After a bunch of toying around I finally got the senders / Tx tested. LED4 is not lighting, the rest do.. though they seem dim (didn't have them aimed straight at the camera though). The machine marked SW72 (Mini Opto 5 Bank Right 2) and SW75 (Mini Opto 5 Bank Left 1) as bad.. I'll have to check resistance on the receivers with an infrared led aimed at it. Maybe I can figure out that the new infrared sender / Tx (clear leds) will be detectable by the existing receivers and just change the senders out.

I guess there's still a chance there's a problem at the opto board on this as well, but at this point one sender isn't emitting light so it could be all at the led boards too.

#8 7 years ago

Yeah, I ground the top. You can also aim the receiver at an incandescent light and while measuring resistance you should see a change in value.

#9 7 years ago

Oh, if you know how to test diodes then you can test the senders because they are "light emitting diodes" most DMM's have a diode test function.

#10 7 years ago

I just went to my local Radio Shack and picked up a few. Used one to fix the one spot target that wasn't working right and it hasn't had a problem since. Everything fit nicely, too. So maybe I got lucky or something.

#11 7 years ago

If I remember correctly, sometimes an opto failure in that DR. Who 5 bank can also be caused by warp in the plastic that holds the opto set.

#12 7 years ago

Run a continuity check on every wire, connector, solder joint. You may have a bad connector, broken wire or cold solder joint. There's only a few wires, it will go quick.

Remember there's two bits to the 'opto'. An emitter and receiver. Plug in the connector to the game, turn it on and look at the LED emitters via a digital camera... the IR is picked up by the camera. Also, the LEDs are always emitting as long as the game is on... so, there should never be any LED off. The emitters are a little harder to test, but it's basically a light sensitive resistor. Put the legs of the receiver on your DMM (ohms) setting. Check the setting in the dark and shining a mag light into the receiver. If it changes values, it's probably good.... rinse and repeat.

Short of a component being dead, it's continuity... trace it all the way back to the backbox if you have to, but I bet the issue is with that 12 pin connector.

faz

#13 7 years ago

Oh, here's a photo of the emitter.

P4020039 (resized).JPGP4020039 (resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago

I just swapped all the infrared sender / Tx (clear leds) out. I left all the old receivers since those are going to be more of a PITA to deal with and aren't as likely to fail as the senders.

Testing with a meter, putting the sender in front of the receiver and measuring resistance at the receiver indicated some pulsing going on (Fluke meter set on ohms). Not sure exactly what was up with that but the old senders and new senders seemed to read the same at the receivers. I'm just testing this out of the machine right now cause the playfield was in parts so I couldn't do in-game testing.

I'll update here once I get this back in the game. From what testing I could do it doesn't seem like there should be an issue using the old receivers.

#15 7 years ago

Just wanted to update, after re-installing the mini-playfield... all 5x opto switches are now working well. So no issue with replacing just the infrared senders with standard replacement infrared senders (clear).

#16 7 years ago

Hey Wayne-

Good To meet you today! So Did you end up having to grind down the transmitters after all? Just want to know going forward...

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hey Wayne-
Good To meet you today! So Did you end up having to grind down the transmitters after all? Just want to know going forward...

Nice meeting you too!

No grinding needed on the transmitters, they were the typical 5mm led size. The receivers were short/stubby leds (black) and either need to be replaced with the same type or you'd have to grind them down. I've seen mentioned many times that it's usually the emitters/senders/transmitters (or whatever you want to call them) that go bad (dim over time like any led, or they just eventually die). Since those are actually producing the infrared light that makes sense. I'm super-glad I didn't have to replace the receivers and mess with grinding anything down, I'll say that much

#18 7 years ago

Original NOS Williams optos are available from my products page...

www.LockWhenLit.com/Products.htm

No worries about grinding, needing to change both sides, or incompatibility, they're original Williams parts.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Original NOS Williams optos are available from my products page...

Nice to know those are available Rob!

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Nice meeting you too!
No grinding needed on the transmitters, they were the typical 5mm led size. The receivers were short/stubby leds (black) and either need to be replaced with the same type or you'd have to grind them down. I've seen mentioned many times that it's usually the emitters/senders/transmitters (or whatever you want to call them) that go bad (dim over time like any led, or they just eventually die). Since those are actually producing the infrared light that makes sense. I'm super-glad I didn't have to replace the receivers and mess with grinding anything down, I'll say that much

Well done sorting out the issues. Opto problems can be tricky.

I make mention of this in my thread on "how to determine the E & C of IR" here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-determine-the-c-e-of-black-opto-receiver-leds#post-3538582

An excerpt from that thread:

"While on the subject check out the excerpt from a Sharp Optoelectronics datasheet that mentions life expectancy of these IR devices (the Sharp parts have a very similar specification to the Everlight ones we use).

It talks about a working life of only five years before the device degrades by 50% - amazing. The ones in our pinball machines are 20 years plus and climbing so we can expect more issues with optos in the future I suspect."

IR_LED_LIFE (resized).jpgIR_LED_LIFE (resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago

Interesting... The miniplayfield ("Time expander") started going crazy up and down once I got my DW home, and I suddenly got a credit dot to inspect Mini Playfield Opto 5 - so back to the soldering station! I may order a bunch of these from you Rob - thank for the link! Wayne, thanks for the idea!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Interesting... The miniplayfield ("Time expander") started going crazy up and down once I got my DW home, and I suddenly got a credit dot to inspect Mini Playfield Opto 5 - so back to the soldering station!

Not sure if you saw this yet but I just found it a few weeks ago, looked pretty helpful:
http://www.pinballsupernova.com/images/TheDoctorWhoMiniPlayfieldv1.2.pdf

My father took the mini playfield out of the other machine (so I could repair the opto targets). He didn't use that guide to figure out how to get it out of the machine. Frankly, I could have printed it & shown it to him and he'd still have just done it his way -- I'd have gotten a "nah, don't need that.. the text is too small anyway" He's used to tearing apart just about anything.

I didn't have to mess with the opto(s) that register the position of the mini playfield (home position) on the machine we fixed up fully, but seemed like there may be something needed on your machine. I meant to show what it was doing in the test-mode but got side-tracked with grabbing the nvram lol. According to the switch matrix SW32 is the Mini Playfield Home Opto.

LMK if I can be of further help, switches weren't something I got into at all on the project machine.

#23 7 years ago

Wayne - I just looked at those instructions - glad you didn't give them to me ahead of time my attention span isn't 23 pages long! Just Get-R-Done is the easier approach! Remember I am an old man and had to be able to fix anything without instructions long before there was a World Wide Web with all this information.

And if you happen to look at this again tonight I tossed your Ghostbusters up on the Marketplace since you never did tell me if we were keeping it or selling it. Let the customers decide for you is my way of thinking at this point.

The guy for the other Doctor Who never contacted me so here we go again! Back up for sale but I didn't use the "flaked out" comment tonight. Too much heat about that last night!

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Not sure if you saw this yet but I just found it a few weeks ago, looked pretty helpful:
My father took the mini playfield out of the other machine (so I could repair the opto targets). He didn't use that guide to figure out how to get it out of the machine. Frankly, I could have printed it & shown it to him and he'd still have just done it his way -- I'd have gotten a "nah, don't need that.. the text is too small anyway" He's used to tearing apart just about anything.
I didn't have to mess with the opto(s) that register the position of the mini playfield (home position) on the machine we fixed up fully, but seemed like there may be something needed on your machine. I meant to show what it was doing in the test-mode but got side-tracked with grabbing the nvram lol. According to the switch matrix SW32 is the Mini Playfield Home Opto.
LMK if I can be of further help, switches weren't something I got into at all on the project machine.

Quoted from acebathound:

Thanks Wayne ! The NVRAM is going to be a great help so I really appreciate that. I'll figure it out, should have time later in the week to disassemble the miniPF... Looks like it's not too bad to take off if you follow the guide. A littl clean up job and it should be good. I can replace the options if need be, but maybe that's not even the issue.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thanks Wayne ! The NVRAM is going to be a great help so I really appreciate that. I'll figure it out, should have time later in the week to disassemble the miniPF... Looks like it's not too bad to take off if you follow the guide. A littl clean up job and it should be good. I can replace the options if need be, but maybe that's not even the issue.

If you want send me your address via PM and I'll ship out a handful of infrared senders/transmitters to you (for the 5x mini-playfield opto switches). I could send some receivers too but you'd have to grind them down and I still can't wrap my head around how they'd still work okay but I guess they don't need a polished end I'm just glad I didn't have to replace those on the machine that was being fixed up, made it much easier.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

As long as that machine was sitting they might even just have some dirt on them that is keeping them from working correctly? I know from messing them up when shopping machines they need to be fairly clean to work correctly. Wayne will be your guy for advice on the optical part of things but if you have any questions about getting the time expander pulled out feel free to touch base with me also.

To be honest it was not all that bad to remove. Subway ramp has 5 screws & one plug on it and then once that is removed these are a total of 7 plugs on the harnesses for the time expander. Remove those and the "guide wheel" on the right side of the time expander (two nuts under the playfield) and you do the rest from the top. Total of maybe 15 minutes to remove it and that is taking your time.

#27 7 years ago

Just for posterity, here's the specs on the infrared transmitters/senders I used (right-side bag with clear leds). I did not use the receivers (left-side bag), just left the original receivers in-place. Even if the wavelength is different than the originals, the new transmitters worked just fine.

infrared.jpginfrared.jpg

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

If you want send me your address via PM and I'll ship out a handful of infrared senders/transmitters to you (for the 5x mini-playfield opto switches). I could send some receivers too but you'd have to grind them down and I still can't wrap my head around how they'd still work okay but I guess they don't need a polished end I'm just glad I didn't have to replace those on the machine that was being fixed up, made it much easier.

You guys are way too generous! Tell you what, I want to order some more NVrams for my other games. I'll put in an order for those and if you want to throw in the optos, we'll call it a deal!

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You guys are way too generous! Tell you what, I want to order some more NVrams for my other games. I'll put in an order for those and if you want to throw in the optos, we'll call it a deal!

Sure, that works If/when you put the order in just write in the comments to include the optos and/or send me a PM. On TZ you'll lose the clock functionality and some games that have a midnight madness mode won't have that go off at the right time. Not a big deal to most people, but just something to keep in mind.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Sure, that works If/when you put the order in just write in the comments to include the optos and/or send me a PM. On TZ you'll lose the clock functionality and some games that have a midnight madness mode won't have that go off at the right time. Not a big deal to most people, but just something to keep in mind.

Will do. I think I'll skip putting it in my TZ, as I like how the clock tells the accurate time - and I installed a non-board battery holder. Thanks W!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

£ 110.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-mini-playfield-optical-switch-leds-ok-to-use-standard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.