You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Power Driver block diagram (resized).jpg
20180322_102639 (resized).jpg
20180322_101541 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

All right, new thread; the old one was resolved.

The Doctor Who Mini Playfield is not going up and down. The motor works. Tested it with a 9 volt battery. Replaced the fuse, just in case.

Errors No CW Movement and No CCW Movement are the only errors I'm receiving.

While attempting a playthrough, this is what happens when the ball goes into the Time Expander: instead of locking, it kicks it back out (and progresses the Time Expander Dialog).

People familiar with the Time Expander know that it goes like this:
1) 7th Doctor locks (Ace, you have to do it too)
2) Ace locks
Countdown to opening Time Expander

The balls NEVER actually lock the first playthrough, which is unusual because in the past when the Time Expander was not operating properly, it would still lock the ball and launch ball #2 and then #3. Now it just waits until the countdown to launch all the remaining balls onto the playfield from the reserve gutter.

After losing multi-ball, the balls WILL lock (but the unit will still not go up and down).

What should I check next?

#2 6 years ago

Don't try to get it to work in play... get it to work in test first.

Check the playfield glass switch (upper left corner). If that's not working, the MPF shuts down so you don't trim your fingernails.

After that, it's most likely a connector.

Start at the motor and work out.
Check the solder joint on the motor lugs
Then check continuity on the connector wires from the lug (not solder joint) to the connector tip... c/b a wire break.
Then check continuity from the other connector to the bi-directional board.
Then check the connector on the black/red wire. It's 25 years old... Give it a good squeeze. check continuity again.. from the bi-directional board to the lug of the motor... if you're still good check for power going into the bi-directional board.

Here's a few things to try, easy to hard.
faz

#3 6 years ago

Is there a way to test the glass switch? It was working as of a day ago, but I opened the machine to swap some bulbs and afterwards when I put it all back together is when the mini playfield stopped working. It clicks when you press it, but is there an actual test for it?

#4 6 years ago

Go into the diagnostics and run a switch test. You should get familiar with doing these tests and if you have not run through every test in the system. Lamps, flashers, solenoids and switches. These tests are basic diagnostics that rely on reading provided instrumentation or watching a triggered event.

Test all of them, including the hard ones to get to. You should use a ball rather than a finger to set off ball switches. Sometimes a switch can settle from the playfield. Thus your finger can push down further to activate but a ball cannot. The glass switch obviously does not need a ball but should be triggered by the glass passing over it. Another reason to test ALL the switches is to catch a potential switch matrix issue. Several switches will stop working and it's due to a breakdown in the matrix (more advanced).

faz

#5 6 years ago

Glass switch is good. Moving on to others...

A 9 Volt battery can make the motor move at the connector point (the wire leads that go to the motor). Therefore the problem must be up the chain.

I reseated all the connectors that should be related to the Playfield according to the manual, but that did not help.

The connector that goes to the bi-directional board is good, so that is not the issue.

I turned the unit on with the board up and the red light is NOT lighting on the bi-directional board. Where does that lead us?

#6 6 years ago

Okay, I have posted a pic of the bi-directional board; it looks good as far as I can tell.

ALSO, I just found a green wire (looks like a ground, mounted at the base of the backboard box) that is NOT attached at the other end. Anyone know where this goes?

Ignore the white stuff on my cabinet; old baking soda.

20180322_101541 (resized).jpg20180322_101541 (resized).jpg
20180322_102639 (resized).jpg20180322_102639 (resized).jpg

According to a really hard to see picture, that green wire MAY attach to the back of the left speaker.

#7 6 years ago

LED 3 on the main board (back cabinet) is NOT lit. Don't know if this is helpful.

D19 is also off and D20 is blinking.

#8 6 years ago

You need to run the switch tests and test14... I did not see where you said that worked.

After that...

I get you put a battery on the connector, but you need to be methodical about the processes. Plug the connector in and check the continuity from the Bi-directional board.

faz

#9 6 years ago

I ran the switch test for the glass switch and it registered.

The playfield will not move in the test mode (up or down). All other functions are registering normal.

I applied battery power at the Bi-Directional board OUT connector and the motor worked.

OLD: I did not apply battery power at the poles where the 4 wires go INTO the Bi-Directional board. I assume that there are 4 wires in due to Clockwise/CCW movement (each has a set of power but different polarity?). Do the leftmost poles control one direction while the rightmost poles control the opposite? SEE NEXT POST...

#10 6 years ago

Okay, I ran power to the bi-directional board (9 volt battery) and the Red LED lit up, which it did NOT do when the machine was powered on, so that should mean the problem is further up, correct? The bi-directional board is working.

#11 6 years ago

Do you have a DMM? (Digital Multimeter) If so then measure if there's 12V going to connector J1 pin 5.

#12 6 years ago

I have a DMM. Is J1 Coin Board Door Interface?

#13 6 years ago

J1 on the Bi-directional board. Also check J107 Pin 5 or 6 for Voltage. This is in the backbox on the Power Driver Board. Also just look for LED5 on that Power Driver Board. Is it lit? If it is then you have a continuity problem going from J107 pin 5+6 to J1 pin 5 on the Bi-directional board. If LED5 is NOT lit then check Fuse F111 on the Power Driver Board.

#14 6 years ago

Ok, maybe 20V? Anyway, here's the wiring between the two.

Power Driver block diagram (resized).jpgPower Driver block diagram (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

It MAY be a blown F111 fuse; I just did a continuity test on the fuse and got nothing (and I tried a separate 3 amp fuse and got continuity).

#16 6 years ago

Cool. Of course the logical question would be, what killed the fuse? We’ll see.

#17 6 years ago

Okay, replaced the fuse and all is working!

The only thing I have never been able to get working is the First Doctor flasher behind the E-S-C-A-P-E targets; replaced bulbs (larger barrel bulb) and never figured where the fault rests. It's not a huge deal, but I doubt it has any relevance to the other issues I have been facing.

As an aside, I have had this machine since around 2000 (18 years) and have NEVER replaced a fuse.

#18 6 years ago

Nice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 110.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-mini-playfield-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.