• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Bospins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey team!
Looking for some help / ideas on my DW mini PF.

When I got my dr who, the mini playfield was inop. I did lots of troubleshooting and fixing (both by my own hand and vendors here).

Huge progress: in the mini pf test, the pf now raises and lowers, but will not stop in the half or full raised position. When I start a new game the PF will just cycle up and down 3 ish times and then stop in the lowest position.

Also, none of the 5-opto targets are registering in the switch edge test.

Here’s more info:
- Power supply board and 10 opto board were repaired by Clive @ coin op cauldron. Lots of work done to both but they should be 100% now.
- cpu board is a rotten dog replacement.
- motor driver board is new, pindorabox.
- I rebuilt the mini playfield using faz white paper, using the black 3D printed carrier, pindorabox opto boards, and I also replaced all the single opto tx/rx pairs with new optos from Marco.
- in switch test, the 2 mini PF ball lock optos and the bottommost opto that the cam wheel is supposed to trigger, will trigger. I haven’t tested any of the others (yet).
- all the lamps are working on the mini PF.

I’ll continue poking around but anyone that can give direction or ideas on what to test next, I’d love to hear it! I’m close!!
Thx
Rich

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

Hey team!
Looking for some help / ideas on my DW mini PF.
When I got my dr who, the mini playfield was inop. I did lots of troubleshooting and fixing (both by my own hand and vendors here).
Huge progress: in the mini pf test, the pf now raises and lowers, but will not stop in the half or full raised position. When I start a new game the PF will just cycle up and down 3 ish times and then stop in the lowest position.
Also, none of the 5-opto targets are registering in the switch edge test.
Here’s more info:
- Power supply board and 10 opto board were repaired by Clive @ coin op cauldron. Lots of work done to both but they should be 100% now.
- cpu board is a rotten dog replacement.
- motor driver board is new, pindorabox.
- I rebuilt the mini playfield using faz white paper, using the black 3D printed carrier, pindorabox opto boards, and I also replaced all the single opto tx/rx pairs with new optos from Marco.
- in switch test, the 2 mini PF ball lock optos and the bottommost opto that the cam wheel is supposed to trigger, will trigger. I haven’t tested any of the others (yet).
- all the lamps are working on the mini PF.
I’ll continue poking around but anyone that can give direction or ideas on what to test next, I’d love to hear it! I’m close!!
Thx
Rich

Buy the pindora opto IR boards better improvement, than the junky IR's Marco sells.

#3 3 years ago

Wow.. that's a lot of money you put into new parts.

First thing I would suggest is check your game over completely.
Do your flippers work? Could be a broader opto problem.
Run a full test of all systems. Every switch (with a ball). Make sure you're not fighting a matrix issue (but does not feel the case)
Even though you've got a reworked powerboard, check all the touchpoints to make sure you have clean power.

If the MPF is out of the game can you try the camera test to see if your optos are emitting?

faz

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Wow.. that's a lot of money you put into new parts.
First thing I would suggest is check your game over completely.
Do your flippers work? Could be a broader opto problem.
Run a full test of all systems. Every switch (with a ball). Make sure you're not fighting a matrix issue (but does not feel the case)
Even though you've got a reworked powerboard, check all the touchpoints to make sure you have clean power.
If the MPF is out of the game can you try the camera test to see if your optos are emitting?
faz

Thanks faz
The price I paid reflected condition, I knew it was a project
Turned out to be more of a project than I thought...but nbd.
I rebuilt all the flippers, and the pops, already.

All the switches are now working (I think I got every one) except the 5-opto set in the mini PF, and also maybe the single ones that detect cam position.

Next step is for sure to remove the mini playfield...again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

£ 110.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-mini-playfield-help-optos-and-levels?hl=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.