Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Catch86
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Trying to get my Doctor Who Mini-Playfield working again. When I hook up jumpers from a 12V battery the motor will move the MPF up and down. But when I run the MPF tests in the machine, it doesn't move at all. I've removed the old grease, applied a little silicone lube to the rails. I've aligned the disc, as best as I can tell, to the proper vertical plane of movement. What should the voltage to the motor be? I'm at a loss on what the problem can be.

#2 10 years ago

There is a switch the playfield glass closes so it works, and with the glass of you don't hurt your fingers.

Is that switch closed/working ?

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Dumb question but are you holding in both flippers in test mode? It's a safety feature so you don't chop off your fingers. Make sure you do hold them in.

#4 10 years ago

I've got a clamp holding the playfield glass switch closed. It tested good in the switch edge testing. I also hold in both flippers during the test. Anything else to check?

#5 10 years ago

It's supposed to get +12vdc or -12vdc I think, to spin in forwards or reverse. Double check all the connectors below the MPF. There might be one disonnected.

If it's still not working, try to get acess to the motor control board and re-run the test (with a buddy). One guy needs to hold the flippers while you check access to the board. Use a voltmeter and see if it's driving the motor.

#6 10 years ago

also Google this doc: "The Doctor Who Mini Playfield v1.2"

2 years later
#7 8 years ago

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to see if this issue was ever resolved as I am having it now too. My playfield moves up and down when the game turns on, however I cannot get it to run any of the tests. I have made sure the flipper buttons are pressed and the playfield glass switch is closed. I also noticed that when I hold the flipper buttons in, the DMD still says "Hold both flippers". Usually it should read "Moving" as soon as the flipper buttons are activated.

Any ideas?

#8 8 years ago

Coin door closed? Can't remember if power is cut off with it open.

1 week later
#9 8 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Coin door closed? Can't remember if power is cut off with it open.

Yes, the coin door was closed. But DW does not have a cut-off switch anyway. Still having this issue unfortunately. Any ideas?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

Yes, the coin door was closed. But DW does not have a cut-off switch anyway. Still having this issue unfortunately. Any ideas?

Yes, it does. I know my DW has one sittin there.

#11 8 years ago

Does it function properly "in game"? Is the problem just in test mode?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Yes, it does. I know my DW has one sittin there.

Sorry, I meant to say that there is a switch but it does not normally stop the playfield from moving. Is it meant to?

Quoted from Wickerman2:

Does it function properly "in game"? Is the problem just in test mode?

Yes it functions properly in the game. The problem is only in test mode.

#13 8 years ago

I finally made some progress on this. The wires had wiggled their way out of the connector housing on J905, so the right flipper was not registering properly. I pushed them all the way in and everything seems to register properly now. That way why the tests were not coming up with "moving" when I hit both flippers - because the game was not seeing the right flipper. Now the display comes up with "moving" but I have some other movement errors to deal with. I'll see how I go with those and update.

#14 8 years ago

I thought you said, it worked during game play. So, your flipper did not work in game play either?

Kinda confused.
faz

2 weeks later
#15 8 years ago

I managed to solve this issue completely a little while ago; thought I would update the thread in case somebody finds it useful. The source of the problem was the molex connector between the motor and the wires that lead to the motor control board. The connector was flaky because one of the female ends was deformed and was not making good contact with the pin. The result was the connector would work sometimes, when the wires were in a position where the connection with the pin was solid. Replacing the connector solved the issue completely.

This was a confusing one because when I checked continuity I was getting good readings. However, the connector was obviously in one of the positions it liked when I tested it. Moving it around a bit cut power to the motor. Frustrating to troubleshoot issues like these but in this case I managed to get to the bottom of it.

1 year later
#16 6 years ago

Wow, did not realize that it been 4 years since I started working on Doctor Who. Life interrupted and DW sat untouched. Getting back to it now.
I did get a new bi-directional board. Noticed that the old board was missing the C2 cap. Replaced bi-directional board. MPF tests failed again, no movement. Saw on another thread to check the voltage coming out of the bi-directional board. Ran MPF tests with multi-meter attached to bi-directional board at J2 1 and 4. Did not see values above 1. No bad fuses on the Driver board. Where do I go from here? Thanks for your help.

1 month later
#17 6 years ago

I'll assume you know how to use a multimeter. With multimeter set to DC you are measuring 1volt? This is being done in test mode?
Did you check J1 pin 4 and 5? Should be 12V.
Did you check J1 pin 4 and 2? This should change state when in test mode and reversing direction.

It's been 45 days. You find the problem?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
£ 110.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-mini-playfield-doesnt-move-in-test-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.