Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

DW is obviously a bit easier to loop than HS2. I had a game at the UK Pinball Party at the weekend and was pleased with my 55 loops, only to find that someone had already done 78 loops. What's the high score on group?

#2 12 years ago

My current record is 40 loops. My past record is 49..

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from emo:

someone had already done 78 loops.

HOLY S%$#!

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

someone had already done 78 loops.

Yep, I was stood there all smug waiting to put my name up and my hopes were dashed, not even close!

#5 12 years ago

I did 80 something at the DW that was at Cal Extreme. On my own DW my record is 78. I've seen a lot more then that done though. The last DW I played at league loop champion was 150 or something. It's also easier to do loops on DW if the ball drops to the upper flipper in a consistent place and at a similar speed. This depends a lot on how worn the ramp diverter is and how much denting there is on the PF under the diverter.

#6 12 years ago

Mine's only 12 and I have 8 on HS2.... weird.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from jay:

It's also easier to do loops on DW if the ball drops to the upper flipper in a consistent place and at a similar speed. This depends a lot on how worn the ramp diverter is and how much denting there is on the PF under the diverter.

Well Jay I would suggest you loan me your Doctor Who for a year or two so I can get it adjusted perfectly to maximize your loop potential.......

1 month later
#8 12 years ago

Hi, I have a Doctor Who pin at home and I've had a problem since I got it about 4 years ago. It's next to impossible to make the upper loop. I watch a video on youtube of someone making the loop off the upper left flipper one after another. When I hit the ball with my flipper in the same or similar way, the ball usually goes to the right outlane. Is the machine not leveled right or something? I adjusted the front leg levelers to be almost all the way up with the back leg levelers all the way down to try to resolve this issue. It didn't work. The level on the bottom right corn of the playfield doesn't seem to work, so I can't follow what the manual says on setting the pitch of the playfield. Can anyone help on this issue? I'd like to beable to hit this upper ramp, for it looks and sounds fun.

Thank for any suggestions,
Jason

#9 12 years ago

It sounds as if maybe you're just hitting the ball too late. You have to hit it closer to the base/middle of the flipper than the tip. Usually if you hit it at the flippers tip, it tosses it to the outlane as you described.

Quoted from jp_isshin:

I'd like to be able to hit this upper ramp, for it looks and sounds fun.

It is. It gets you that playfield multiplier as well. An absolute must for high scores.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from jp_isshin:

It's next to impossible to make the upper loop.

Sounds to me like that flipper need some rebuilding!

You have to replace the following parts of that flipper:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=249&parent=53
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=273&parent=61
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=90&parent=57

Take a look at your bushing to see if it needs replacing (if it's broken or severely worn):
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=270&parent=60

You don't have to order at pinball life perse. There are plenty of other pinball parts stores out there!

For example, Marco Specialties offers Pinside members a 5% discount.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from jp_isshin:

Is the machine not leveled right or something? I adjusted the front leg levelers to be almost all the way up with the back leg levelers all the way down to try to resolve this issue.

Hi Jason, Welcome to Pinside..If your machine is not leveled correctly it will
not play right and that's no fun at all.The back legs must be higher than the
front so the playfield will be slanted.Do you have a leveler in your machine?
It would be located near the ball through.

#12 12 years ago

Wow, nice Robin. I didn't even think of the flipper being the problem... my bad.

Sorry jp, didn't mean to impugn your ability. Robin is probably right on the flipper rebuild call.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Is the machine not leveled right or something? I adjusted the front leg levelers to be almost all the way up with the back leg levelers all the way down to try to resolve this issue.

As others have said getting the game levelled is very important. Making the ball travel too slowly just makes it more difficult. On a game like Dr Who you need to get into the "rythum" of the game. I remember playing a Centaur, one of my favourite games and finding it almost unplayable because the shallow slope of the game.

#14 12 years ago

jp_isshin: As Robin said, you need to rebuild your flipper. My Dr Who was like that as well when I first picked it up. It was pretty much impossible to make that upper loop.

Buy an inclinometer from an auto store and set it right on the playfield. Then have it set at somewhere between 6-7 degrees or so...

The manual says between 6-6.5...

#15 12 years ago

Before you rebuild the flipper, try taking it apart and adjusting it first. some minor adjustment could work wonders.

Make sure the all the parts are working together correctly, make sure the coil is straight, check to see if the flipper bushing is too tight. check the coil sleeve, clean it, make sure the flipper plunger moves through the coil smooth, check to see if the plunger is mushroomed at the end and causing drag.
reflowing the solder on the coil lugs wouldn't be a bad idea.
See that the end of stroke switch is being activated correctly, at the very end of the flipper's stroke.
check and see that the flipper rubber is not hitting against the metal guide coming out of the "H" hole.

just a few things to get you started.

#16 12 years ago

I keep mine closer to 8. Steeper table means faster ball speed.

#17 12 years ago

Steeper table also means more ball control, doesn't necessarily make the game harder. in fact, less steep tables mean more random ball drains from the slings also.

#18 12 years ago

Too many people get games and do all the little things BUT rebuild the flippers. For williams games, this isn't very pricey, and makes a massive difference. When you get a new to you machine, the first thing to do is take apart the flippers, examine and see what needs to be replaced.

ALWAYS always always replace bushings and sleeves, they are cheap and make a massive difference. Honesly, every time, I'll replace bushings, sleeves, pawl/link/plunger, coild stop and spring.

Flippers make the single most significant impact on play. A rebuild for two flippers costs about $22 (these come without bushings though) - even on a $1,000 game, that is so little to pay given the overall value. If you buy in bulk, as I do given the amount I have, through PBL, you can almost cut flipper parts in half.

I bet about 10-15% of the help needed threads on this and RGP would be gone if everyeone took this advice.

#19 12 years ago

One simple tweak made me jump from 16 loops top to where my high is now, 98: I made sure the flipper rubber touches the metal 'ramp' ("H" hole). That way a much earlier flip is needed to reach the "O" ramp.

3 years later
#20 9 years ago

I found this thread by searching for: "100 loops doctor who pinball" because I was curious if there was some kind of bonus once you get there. Last weekend I watched someone get 99 in a heads up match in a tournament.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I found this thread by searching for: "100 loops Doctor Who pinball" because I was curious if there was some kind of bonus once you get there.

I don;t remember it being a big deal...but probably focusing on more loops at the time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

£ 110.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-loop-champion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.