• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dsuperbee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hey there everyone,
I have a Doctor Who that has been sitting for a few years that I want to get back into playing condition. I powered it up tonight, and F111 is blowing immediately upon power up. I pulled the power supply board and replaced BR4, put it back in the game, and the same thing happens. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Brian

#2 4 years ago

Unplug connectors involving F111. See if you have a board issue or a problem out in the game.

Was BR4 bad ?

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Could have a bad flasher, socket, or a short to flasher wiring.

#4 4 years ago

Okay, with no connectors plugged in to the board except for J102 (power), it's still blowing. I hadn't checked the original bridge when I changed it, just assumed it was bad, but I just used my DMM and it appears to be okay. I guess I have a short somewhere on the power supply board? (I didn't see anything obvious...)

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

I guess I have a short somewhere on the power supply board?

Yes.

(I didn't see anything obvious...)

Shorted components can be invisible.

New BR4 good ? Then using your meter as best you can, go over the 20 volt section.

How's this ? 7812 -12V regulator ?

1 week later
#6 4 years ago

Alright, it took a while due to a busy holiday week, but I got it all fixed.
There was a trace from one of the AC inputs on BR4 that was shorted to ground (looked like a solder splash). Took a bit of searching to find it, but I got it. I replaced the 15,000 microfarad capacitors while I had the board out, they were original and a couple looked like they were starting to bulge. Put the board in the game, and it's alive! WOOHOO! I still have some issues with the mini playfield that I need to address (namely no motion CW or CCW) and a couple of opto switches that aren't registering, but aside from that, everything works, and I was actually able to play a game - it's been about 5 or 6 years since I got to do that!
Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
-Brian

#7 4 years ago

Alright, it took a while due to a busy holiday week, but I got it all fixed.
There was a trace from one of the AC inputs on BR4 that was shorted to ground (looked like a solder splash). Took a bit of searching to find it, but I got it. I replaced the 15,000 microfarad capacitors while I had the board out, they were original and a couple looked like they were starting to bulge. Put the board in the game, and it's alive! WOOHOO! I still have some issues with the mini playfield that I need to address (namely no motion CW or CCW) and a couple of opto switches that aren't registering, but aside from that, everything works, and I was actually able to play a game - it's been about 5 or 6 years since I got to do that!
Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
-Brian

On the bi directional board under the pf that controls the mini pf is a cap. I am willing to bet it puked its guts out and took out some traces and possibly the chip on the board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 85.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-f111-blows-on-power-up?hl=rocketfromtombs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.