Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4E5A344E-8571-475C-90C5-4E46DFDA0BA4 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1536 (resized).JPG
IMG_1537 (resized).JPG
IMG_1535 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Hello Pinsiders. I've recently installed the Color DMD LCD display. Very happy with the colors and HiRes mode. However, the installation does force the omitting and removal of lighting the lower row of the seven doctors. There is a mod fix available on the ColorDMD website that is offered by William Hollenbeck of Pacific Coast Pinball that has a very detailed tutorial of reinstating the Doctors lighting as original. Has anyone attempted this mod with success? Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Thanks for info. Wont be installing on my dr. Who

#3 5 years ago

To be clear, that's only an issue for the LCD Display. The LED Display does not require the removal of the Doctors lighting. I chose the LCD for the Hires resolution.

#4 5 years ago

New LCD displays have mounting holes to mount the display side by side with the original lamp board. The LED mod for the lamp board is not necessary.

The display will stick up higher above the speaker panel but is concealed by the translite.

#5 5 years ago

Works great.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

New LCD displays have mounting holes to mount the display side by side with the original lamp board. The LED mod for the lamp board is not necessary.
The display will stick up higher above the speaker panel but is concealed by the translite.

Thanks for the reply ColorDMD. That would be great, but unless I've installed my display incorrectly, moving it up to allow for the Doctor lamp board would clearly create a clearance issue by the swing out translite lighting panel. I'm most certainly optimistic about your reply info, so I may need to contact you personally for direction.

IMG_1535 (resized).JPGIMG_1535 (resized).JPGIMG_1536 (resized).JPGIMG_1536 (resized).JPGIMG_1537 (resized).JPGIMG_1537 (resized).JPG
#7 5 years ago

Is this a new ColorDMD?

#8 5 years ago

With the higher mounting position, you will need to lower the speaker panel before opening/closing the backbox door.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Thanks for info. Wont be installing on my dr. Who

You should. It’s very easy to install the display higher up & keep your Doctors light board.

4E5A344E-8571-475C-90C5-4E46DFDA0BA4 (resized).jpeg4E5A344E-8571-475C-90C5-4E46DFDA0BA4 (resized).jpeg
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Is this a new ColorDMD?

Yes, my LCD DMD was recently purchased new.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You should. It’s very easy to install the display higher up & keep your Doctors light board.
[quoted image]

Is that the LED or LCD version? The LCD is capable of changing the font style to six different variations and appears to be inherently taller than the LED.

#12 5 years ago

It is taller.... but like someone said, you just have to remove the display/ speaker panel before opening the translite door. Its really not that a big of a deal, you shouldn't be getting in there very often.

#13 5 years ago

Update on LCD DMD display by ColorDMD. I did raise the panel to the utmost position as the holes in the display provide. That does give room for the original 7 Doctor light strip to be reinstalled. The only thing I had to do was drill new screw mounting holes in the back of the speaker box for the strip. Not an issue. It was indeed easy, and I'm so glad the Doctors are working again. Highly recommend the LCD in HiRes over the orange original. On a final note, it would be helpful if ColorDMD would update their site with the info and I will contact them to suggest. This is all it says at this point, (*Because of the height of the LCD, installation in Doctor Who requires removal (or modification) of the lamp board that lights the Doctor's faces on the speaker panel. Information on modifying the Doctor Who lamp board to work with a ColorDMD can be found on the SUPPORT page of our website.) Thanks everyone for your comments!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

Is that the LED or LCD version? The LCD is capable of changing the font style to six different variations and appears to be inherently taller than the LED.

LCD. DOTS XL forever baby!!!!!

7 months later
#15 5 years ago

So shich is better, LCD or LED?

#16 5 years ago

Modifying the Doctor lamp board is pretty easy. Only takes around 20-30 minutes.

Short summary
You remove the molex connectors and stand-offs and lamp sockets. Buy some 555 LED's and unfold the wires from the plastic holder and remove the LED with wiring from the holders. Bend the wires into an S curve shape so that the LED are wires and now a horizontal disc and solder them into the location of where the lamp sockets were. Now make a 6-12" long wiring harness soldered onto the board where the molex connector was. Attach a new Molex socket on the end of the wiring and attach that to the factory connector using a Z-connector. Mount board flat against the speaker panel with no standoffs. LCD will now fit directly over the doctors lamp board.

Tutorial on Color DMD website. https://www.colordmd.com/Light%20Board%20Mod%20TAF%20and%20DW.pdf

The tutorial shows re-using the removed male molex pin connector. I prefer to use a female molex connector along with a Z-connector to avoid having to use all the shrink tubing or tape to cover up the exposed terminals.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Modifying the Doctor lamp board is pretty easy. Only takes around 20-30 minutes.
Short summary
You remove the molex connectors and stand-offs and lamp sockets. Buy some 555 LED's and unfold the wires from the plastic holder and remove the LED with wiring from the holders. Bend the wires into an S curve shape so that the LED are wires and now a horizontal disc and solder them into the location of where the lamp sockets were. Now make a 6-12" long wiring harness soldered onto the board where the molex connector was. Attach a new Molex socket on the end of the wiring and attach that to the factory connector using a Z-connector. Mount board flat against the speaker panel with no standoffs. LCD will now fit directly over the doctors lamp board.
Tutorial on Color DMD website. https://www.colordmd.com/Light%20Board%20Mod%20TAF%20and%20DW.pdf
The tutorial shows re-using the removed male molex pin connector. I prefer to use a female molex connector along with a Z-connector to avoid having to use all the shrink tubing or tape to cover up the exposed terminals.

Thanks for this!

Not a problem with the modification looks quick and easy.

I'm swaying heavily towards the LED version right now.

I can do the led panel upgrade aftewards.

I'm also liking the speaker panel insert lights.

While has the nice deep blue kits?

#18 5 years ago

For me it comes down to this;

LED version is brighter, a few bucks cheaper and easier to install.
LCD allows more animation variations with the connected/interlaced dots.
Not sure which one has more power draw on the 12V and 5V circuits, but I imagine it's the LED.

LED is usually preferable unless the game has great cartoon like animations, like AC/DC, Stern Star Trek and Doctor Who. So it's a toss up in this case

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

For me it comes down to this;
LED version is brighter, a few bucks cheaper and easier to install.
LCD allows more animation variations with the connected/interlaced dots.
Not sure which one has more power draw on the 12V and 5V circuits, but I imagine it's the LED.
LED is usually preferable unless the game has great cartoon like animations, like AC/DC, Stern Star Trek and Doctor Who. So it's a toss up in this case

Having put both into my doctor who, I prefer the LED hands down.

1 week later
#20 5 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Having put both into my doctor who, I prefer the LED hands down.

I think so too, so that's what I bought

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 110.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-color-dmd-omitting-the-seven-doctors-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.