Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Boiler415
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Trying to get myself in trouble by picking up a really good deal on a Dr Who. Other than making sure the finger chopper works properly, what should I be watching for? Or, suggestions on why to not buy this table?

#2 8 years ago

Its one on my short list and just look for normal wpc things and yes check the finger chopper out lol. Also check for topper

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

normal wpc things

I'm somewhat new to buying machines, is there someplace that lists these normal WPC things to look out for? I couldn't find anything definitive through the search.

#4 8 years ago

No not really just look for wear and damage like u wld on any pin . Just make sure everything works and keep the pin on for as long as u can and play it ,make sure you activate both flippers at once to check for resets .The only thing that really plagues wpc pins are reset issues which are usually fixed pretty easily. Make sure you check for battery corrosion damage also .

#5 8 years ago

For DW:

Aside from checking all switches (lots of optos), flashers you want to make sure the Mini-Playfield is working well. Also, the trapdoor off the left side of the big ramp. WPC games have issues with resets and there's well documented repairs for that.

Mini-Playfield: lots to go wrong with that. In test, you should be able to drive it up and down. All the mushroom buttons work. Dalek Flaps engage and release (inside the chutes of the MPF). Cracked plastic dome on the MPF. Locks/lock ejects.

Playfield: Slings, playfield wear on ball drop, playfield wear coming out of the mini-playfield. Does it have lightning flippers or regular 3" bats (stock is lightning flips).

Ramps: Especially the front edge of the right ramp. Who-Mobile covers.

Topper: Plastic dome over the top and mini-Dalek in the dome w/eye stalk. These are unobtainum and rarely are on the market. Possibly there s a moving Dalek motor in the topper. Test 15 will allow you to put it through the paces.

Cab: the ink fades, especially the red.

Repro items available: Alternate backglass images, plastic dome on MPF, MPF itself, ramps.

Mods: Moving topper (hard to find these days), Color DMD (totally worth it), Cliffy protectors for the MPF, Cliffy for the main playfield in front of the MPF. Cliffy Ramp protector (critical), Cliffy shooter lane protector. Tardis toy on playfield can be swapped out for a different toy but you need to make that yourself (plenty of doc). There's a cool Who-mobile replacement coming... can't wait. Decals for head/cab are available. Sound upgrades: expensive custom speakers or cheaper diy speakers.

I'm sure I left out a lot, but others will decorate the thread.

It's a great game!
faz

#6 8 years ago

Test MPF but also play it and put it through the stages...mine acted different in test mode than in actual play.

#7 8 years ago

Also check the quality of the playfield surface. Dr. Whos seem to have issues with the Diamond Plate chipping around inserts and also with planking in the top layers of the wood. It would be nice to get a playfield with a nice, smooth playing surface. However, that may be hard to find unless you're paying more of a premium for a really nice one.

#8 8 years ago

Good luck! It took me 4-5 months to find one around me. Besides the MPF and trap door, check the ramps closely for any cracks. Almost all DW that I've seen have cab fade, so don't let that discourage you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

£ 110.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.