• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-943.jpg
image-419.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Have a chance to buy a Doctor Who should I ???

#2 9 years ago

Do you like the theme? Does the time expander work? Do you mind daleks screaming at you?

DW was my first pin and my Grail pin, so I am bias, but I find it to be a fun, approachable game with disappointing art.

#3 9 years ago

I brought a friend to York 2 yrs ago and when the time expander opened the 2nd time he freaked! He looked around to see if anyone else saw what was going on. On the way home he told me I'm on the hunt for a DW.

#4 9 years ago

Yes

#5 9 years ago

I like the game. I was looking for one and finally found one a few weeks ago.
This is a satisfying game both for beginners - achieving multiball is satisfying - and good players. But in the later case scoring is a bit unbalanced and some strategies are less risky making the game repetitive.

Make sure the time expander mini PF works correctly.
Cabinet decals are usually faded - to the point reds can be totally gone.

#6 9 years ago

Loved the show as a kid and who doesnt love daleks screaming at you.
Is it deep enough for a small collection.

#7 9 years ago

Doctor Who is one of my personal favorites. The rules seem simple, but the strategy is what makes the game great. I've owned one for almost 3 years and it still has that, "just one more game" feeling. It'll never leave my small collection.

#8 9 years ago

Great game!

#9 9 years ago

Doctor Who is a great game! It s ruleset is different from most pins, so in a small collection the game can be a breath of fresh air. Personally, I think it fits perfectly in your current collection.

For beginners, the game is very approachable. It doesn't seem so complicated that it becomes overwhelming. The basic rules are easy to understand. Plus that Time Expander is just f*cking cool.

For better players it has legs, because:
- there are interesting strategic choices involved (which doctor do I choose?)
- it has a great constant risk vs reward element (do I try to keep the playfield multiplier up or do I make the shots that actually reward points?)

Some other aspects:
- That ramp shot from the upper flipper has to be the smoothest in pinball. Very satisfying.
- Yes, those Dalek sounds can be grating. But, once you're 'in the zone', they provide a sense of satisfaction as well, as you get to destroy those stupid robots by shooting pinballs at them.
- The video mode is kinda meh. But not quite as meh as the Roonie in Cirqus Voltaire.

Post edited by Jappie: Added some text

#10 9 years ago

Now I have to talk to the boss and tell her that it is another bargain I can't go past.
Thanks for he info wish me luck.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from mb676190:

I did! This pin is a bang for your buck machine. Yes the artwork and sounds are not always the best but look past all of that. The game is fast, flows well, and difficult to master. The Game does give a sense that you will want to play it over again and again! This game looks great when LEDs are installed. The price will vary depending on location and condition, you should be able to get a nice fully working game for a little over 2k. If you find a fully restored one you may pay a bit more but still worth it. Good Luck!

#12 9 years ago

My wife heard that pin at the latest expo and she won't even let me look at it. Its the Fran Drescher of pinball.

#13 9 years ago

It's a cool game.

#15 9 years ago

Get!

Fun to play
Fun to mod
Lots of skill
faz

#16 9 years ago

Any suggestions / pictures (besides an alternative backglass)?

#17 9 years ago

Personalised pinballs
and speaker inserts
Plus
PDI glass
Mirror blades
Colour DMD
That's what I have so far

image-419.jpgimage-419.jpg image-943.jpgimage-943.jpg
#18 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Any suggestions / pictures (besides an alternative backglass)?

The moving topper, ColorDMD (I cannot believe how much this makes a difference), Mini-Playfield protectors (not really fun, but I really like the look). There's a homemade mod to put a stainless plate behind the MPF buttons... really nice. LEDs and colored posts make the game your own.

Someone made custom posts
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-owners-clubtime-lords-welcome/page/10#post-2226418

Adding toys to the playfield (I have a K9 on my playfield and am working on something extra fun ... buwah-ha-ha). Some people get TZ crazy with the toys, but there's lot of tchotchkes that say "Dr Who". Old series, new series does not matter.... as long as there's room for the ball

There's also practical things out there like cliffy's ramp protector, shooter lane protector, new ramps, new MPF cover, cab art (on the gray market). The apron may be remade by PPS. Upgrades to the sound system (either pinball-Pro or DIY) make a fun difference (cool threads on this - look for Markmons DIY thread).

Look at TalorVAs restore thread... he's done an amazing job!
faz

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from mb676190:

Oh hells yeah!

#20 9 years ago

Yes....I know I want one here in n/e pa...

#21 9 years ago

You a will not be disappointed. I agree with others that the Time Expander has to be in good shape, or else no fun. I'm lucky that so far mine has been solid. (Hope I didn't jinks it)

If you like the show the audio is a pleasing part of the game. You realize that in the modern version of the TV show the Daleks still sound like the DW pin.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.