(Topic ID: 13967)

Docscotts AFM teardown.. 3/31/12 Finished completed 4/30/12 NEW video added !

By McCune

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by ctozzi
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

martian_board.JPG
martians.JPG
IMG_2363.JPG
IMG_2362.JPG
Adopt_me.jpg
IMG_5412.JPG
IMG_5411.JPG
believe.jpg
images.jpeg
IMG_2361.JPG
IMG_2356.JPG
IMG_2355.JPG
IMG_2353.JPG
IMG_2351.JPG
IMG_2348.JPG
IMG_2346.JPG
There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 12 years ago

Can't wait to see pictures of them completed! Looks like your keeping pretty busy Jim.

#52 12 years ago

Cabinet is in its second coat of primer . If this thing blocks out good tomorrow, it will be black by Easter !!

Jim

IMG_2216.JPGIMG_2216.JPG IMG_2217.JPGIMG_2217.JPG IMG_2218.JPGIMG_2218.JPG IMG_2219.JPGIMG_2219.JPG

#53 12 years ago

Looks great Jim!!! Thanks for the update.

#54 12 years ago

Super Jim! At some point you'll have to cover the part on how you screen the warning text back onto the head.

#55 12 years ago

I used to send my heads out to have this done. In fact, Jim did a couple for me until I finally decided to dive in and do it myself. I had heard all kinds of stories about how messy screening was. It's actually pretty simple. The clean up is a bit messy though.

Here's how I do mine.

http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/album1356

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

Quoted from Drano:

Super Jim! At some point you'll have to cover the part on how you screen the warning text back onto the head.

#56 12 years ago

Looks easy enough
But where do you get the screen with the right artwork in the first place? I'm sure they don't sell that at Marco's LOL!

#57 12 years ago

I got mine from a guy on RGP. Grover was able to find a Mom and Pop screening company that would make this for him. He had about 30 of them made and sold them all.

I'm in the Twin Cities area of MN. If anyone needs this done, let me know and I can take care of it for you.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Quoted from Drano:

Looks easy enough
But where do you get the screen with the right artwork in the first place? I'm sure they don't sell that at Marco's LOL!

#58 12 years ago

Whoa Bryan! Just went to your site. That artwork is pretty cool! Did you paint them yourself pr is that some kind of decal? Got one for Scared Stiff?

#59 12 years ago

It's all available artwork for pins. This is the only one I've currently got.

http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/album1053/004_G

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Quoted from spfxted:

Whoa Bryan! Just went to your site. That artwork is pretty cool! Did you paint them yourself pr is that some kind of decal? Got one for Scared Stiff?

#60 12 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I got mine from a guy on RGP. Grover was able to find a Mom and Pop screening company that would make this for him. He had about 30 of them made and sold them all.
I'm in the Twin Cities area of MN. If anyone needs this done, let me know and I can take care of it for you.
Bryan (CARGPB 14)
Drano said:Looks easy enough

Is it particle board or something on the back of the heads on pins? Apparently my HS must have gotten water on the back of head and its all "bubbly" like and of course the yellow caution print is no longer there. My guess is the pin was folded and left in the rain as just the back head has water damage, or it rain on it back of truck or trailer, who knows.

#61 12 years ago

Ok guys , back to my stuff. The cabinet is black ..

Jim

IMG_2220.JPGIMG_2220.JPG

#62 12 years ago

I got one of Grover's screens myself, worked it into a deal when I sold him my SC. One of these days, I'll use it!

#63 12 years ago

Today I put the paint shop away and rolled out the assembly shop ! Time to get all the parts rebuilt and polished .

The harnesses are clean and coils are next.. The rotisserie is begging for a PF .

Jim

IMG_2223.JPGIMG_2223.JPG IMG_2222.JPGIMG_2222.JPG IMG_2224.JPGIMG_2224.JPG

#64 12 years ago

Looking great! Playfield yet?

#65 12 years ago

Looking great! Playfield yet?

Thanks ! Yes , I have a PF and will start very soon with Assembly . Right now we are cleaning parts.
This game is one messed up PIG ,all kinds of wrong parts, we might talk about that later .
Jim

IMG_2225.JPGIMG_2225.JPG IMG_2226.JPGIMG_2226.JPG IMG_2234.JPGIMG_2234.JPG

#66 12 years ago

Love your work, looking awesome. Even a TV on your wall in the workshop (no thumbs up icon available to give you)

#67 12 years ago

Wow are those new parts or did you Tumble them?

#68 12 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Love your work, looking awesome

Thanks !

Quoted from Gexchange:

Wow are those new parts or did you Tumble them?

Old hardware tumbled.. I am trying some new procedures and it look good so far. I have never had such shiny hardware before .

Jim

#69 12 years ago

Nice work Jim!
I'm sanding my WH2O today and excited to get the paint on too.

I was wondering... why do you always seem to have a keyboard and mouse on your work table and no visible computer or screen?

#70 12 years ago

I was wondering... why do you always seem to have a keyboard and mouse on your work table and no visible computer or screen?

There's a large LCD mounted on the wall adjacent to his rotisserie.

LCD.JPGLCD.JPG

#71 12 years ago

Aha! How did I miss that???

#72 12 years ago

Blinded by the AFM?

#73 12 years ago

Some coils back together . Before and after shots .

Jim

IMG_2229.JPGIMG_2229.JPG IMG_2246.JPGIMG_2246.JPG IMG_2232.JPGIMG_2232.JPG IMG_2248.JPGIMG_2248.JPG

#74 12 years ago

I think I see a thumb print on one of those coil wrappers.

#75 12 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

I think I see a thumb print on one of those coil wrappers.

No "thinking" about it ! This is a hand crafted project and finger prints will happen .. If you look real close there is definitively a thumb print on the gate coils bracket .

Thanks for looking close !!

Jim

#76 12 years ago

Hey Jim,
Just curious if you get your coil wrappers from planetary or if you make your own?

#77 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

swinks said:Love your work, looking awesome
Thanks !
Gexchange said:Wow are those new parts or did you Tumble them?
Old hardware tumbled.. I am trying some new procedures and it look good so far. I have never had such shiny hardware before .
Jim

You can't say that and not go into further detail... what is your new 'procedure'?

#78 12 years ago

Very Cool!

Why I got into Pinball in the first place. THe whole restore and working with the hands.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

#79 12 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

Very Cool!
Why I got into Pinball in the first place. THe whole restore and working with the hands.
Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Now if only I had a AFM...

#80 12 years ago

This is some of the little tedious stuff that eats up time ! This will make the game play correctly .

Jim

IMG_2273.JPGIMG_2273.JPG IMG_2274.JPGIMG_2274.JPG IMG_2275.JPGIMG_2275.JPG

#81 12 years ago

Looks like sucky work Jim. You must go through a lot of solder

Electronics was never my strength. Can you explain the reasoning behind changing all the diodes? Do they degrade over time?

Thanks for sharing. Always an education!

#82 12 years ago

I'm guessing Jim changes all the switches. Switches on WPC-95 games are notoriously flaky. I've done 2 MBs and had to change 10+ switches on each one.

Something with switches changed around WPC-95. I think the MFG changed how they sealed them, and when the harnesses were soldered on the assembly line, flux leaked into the switches. The WPC-95 era switches get 'gummed up', you can cycle them a few times by hand, and they will register for a game or two, then they stop working again.

#83 12 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

The WPC-95 era switches get 'gummed up', you can cycle them a few times by hand, and they will register for a game or two, then they stop working again.

I just learned this with the MM Merlin VUK switch. I would adjust it by hand and hit 10 shots in a row w/ the ball and as soon as the glass went back on it would fail. Lucky I was able to find some cherry microswitches and soldered the new one in last night... with the diode in the right direction, thanks to Lloyd Olsen for that piece of advice.

#84 12 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Can you explain the reasoning behind changing all the diodes?

I am just showing the new diodes before they are installed on the new switches . The old diodes are fine,just not worth the effort to try and reuse them.

John is right on the money .

Jim

#85 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Drano said:Can you explain the reasoning behind changing all the diodes?
I am just showing the new diodes before they are installed on the new switches . The old diodes are fine,just not worth the effort to try and reuse them.
John is right on the money .
Jim

Didn't realize the switches were all new . Your old stuff usually ends up looking new!

#86 12 years ago

Bouncing back and forth between the PF and cabinet .

Jim

IMG_2278.JPGIMG_2278.JPG IMG_2279.JPGIMG_2279.JPG IMG_2280.JPGIMG_2280.JPG IMG_2281.JPGIMG_2281.JPG

#87 12 years ago

Jim,

I must say I am Very Impressed by your restoration work you are a true artist with a true gift and passion for what you do. Your shop looks as if it shows your passion for your art as well.. Wish I could get my guys to keep there work area's half as spotless and well setup as you do!

Are you a one man operation or have others working for you?

#88 12 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Are you a one man operation or have others working for you?

Thanks JJ ! One man band most of the time ,although I do get a lot of help from a good friend and even my wife. Look forward to meeting your at Docs party !

Jim

#89 12 years ago

I met Jim in St George a couple weeks ago. He let me play some of his pins and showed me his operation. He's a perfectionist to the max and a really nice guy. I think he's gonna be a real credit to this hobby.

#90 12 years ago

Tedious isn't even the word for it, Jim. I look at that stuff like getting kicked in the nuts.

You can get kicked in the nuts for a short while everytime you do a game, by doing enough switches for that particular game. Or, you can get kicked in the nuts for half a day by buying 100 switches and diodes and spending an afternoon doing all of them.

Not that either one is something to look forward to, but as long as I'm getting kicked in the nuts, I might as well do it for an afternoon.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Quoted from McCune:

This is some of the little tedious stuff that eats up time ! This will make the game play correctly .
Jim

Attachments IMG_2275.JPG (218.1 KB, 0 downloads) 1 day old IMG_2274.JPG (220.2 KB, 0 downloads) 1 day old IMG_2273.JPG (200.1 KB, 0 downloads) 1 day old

#91 12 years ago

Absolutely incredible work, Jim. I'm so excited. You are THE MAN!

#92 12 years ago

Nice touch on the surgical tray. Now you're just rubbing it in.

http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball/forum/?bb_attachments=214995&bbat=23861&inline&fullsize

#93 12 years ago

Amazing work - thanks very much for posting pics. One day, I'd love to try a complete 'high end' restoration. Let's see, I just need the tools, knowledge and time.... ...and a pin that's worthy of such work. For now, I'll just drool over these pics.

#94 12 years ago

Amazing work indeed....

Makes my teardown / shop jobs look like crap though.... Thanks for that

#95 12 years ago

My pins get everything rebuilt . Getting close to the due date and still lots to do.

Jim

IMG_2303.JPGIMG_2303.JPG IMG_2283.JPGIMG_2283.JPG IMG_2305.JPGIMG_2305.JPG

#97 12 years ago

These parts look better then new!!!

#98 12 years ago

whoops

#99 12 years ago

Far out the work you do is INCREDIBLE mate!

Love the pic's,thanks for sharing

#100 12 years ago

Hi Jim. I don't remember if anyone asked you how much you charge to restore a pin. Are some easier than others?...or when you do what you do (such an extensive breakdown)..it's all about the same...(what you do is still magic to me)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 21.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/docscotts-afm-teardown-scott-it-has-officially-begun-33112/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.