(Topic ID: 13967)

Docscotts AFM teardown.. 3/31/12 Finished completed 4/30/12 NEW video added !

By McCune

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by ctozzi
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

martian_board.JPG
martians.JPG
IMG_2363.JPG
IMG_2362.JPG
Adopt_me.jpg
IMG_5412.JPG
IMG_5411.JPG
believe.jpg
images.jpeg
IMG_2361.JPG
IMG_2356.JPG
IMG_2355.JPG
IMG_2353.JPG
IMG_2351.JPG
IMG_2348.JPG
IMG_2346.JPG
There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 12 years ago

Docscotts AFM is offically in 100s of pieces . Lots of issues with this game ,I could go on and on about it but instead I will just fix it like the way it is supposed to be.

I will share some pictures as we make progress.

Jim

IMG_2152.JPGIMG_2152.JPG IMG_2179.JPGIMG_2179.JPG IMG_2157.JPGIMG_2157.JPG IMG_2174.JPGIMG_2174.JPG IMG_2187.JPGIMG_2187.JPG IMG_2188.JPGIMG_2188.JPG

#2 12 years ago

I am jealous Scott! Jim show us lots of pics. This is my favorite game.!

#3 12 years ago

Playfield progress

IMG_2175.JPGIMG_2175.JPG IMG_2194.JPGIMG_2194.JPG IMG_2200.JPGIMG_2200.JPG

#4 12 years ago

This is going to be great!

I think there is a good chance that AFM will make its way back into my collection. If it does, would love to have it restored.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Playfield progress

It looks like you have two helpers, this must be a high priority job. Where do you find such good help? LOL.

What a great shop!

Randy

Post edited by WNflyer : Very technical.

#6 12 years ago

Redundant cabinet art, ingenious! So if you scratch it once, you'll never know with that second layer of art

#7 12 years ago

Jim.... Is that you with your hand in your pocket?

How do you get so much work accomplished doing that.

Keep the updates a coming!

#8 12 years ago

Just looked and you now have more games than me....... haven't you been the one telling me to thin out the heard?

#9 12 years ago

Awesome, love these threads! Wish I could find an AFM in 1/2 that condition (for under $5k)...

Jim, what ventilation system do you have (or whatever the name is for the spray booth air outlet that you have setup in your shop; sorry, no idea what the actual name of the part is)? I'm looking to setup my new place with a spray ventilation system, but am just starting to get basic info (if you can shoot me a PM or just let me know I'd appreciate it!)

#10 12 years ago

Alright another "Jim" machine.Keep us posted )
DocScott and Jim have you guys decided on a scheme for this machine? I mean like doing a machine like HEP recently posted on here BAFM-(Black Attack From Mars) that machine was unbelievable,I would copy that if I was in a position to have a machine rebuilt with Jim's skill and attention to detail.

#11 12 years ago

Jim McCune....Jim McCune.....names familiar.

I hear the guy does some pretty nice restoration work.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Jim McCune....Jim McCune.....names familiar.
Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Crap, the riff-raff is here!

Howdy, Bryan!

#13 12 years ago

Good stuff, it is really neat to see restorations, thanks for taking the time to share

#14 12 years ago

We love seeing the pics, keep them coming.

#15 12 years ago

Close and LOCK the door!!! Kelly is looking for beer and biscuits!!

#16 12 years ago

That's what happens when you leave the door to this place unlocked, John.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Crap, the riff-raff is here!

Howdy, Bryan!

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from v8torino:

DocScott and Jim have you guys decided on a scheme for this machine? I mean like doing a machine like HEP recently posted on here BAFM-(Black Attack from Mars) that machine was unbelievable,I would copy that if I was in a position to have a machine rebuilt with Jim's skill and attention to detail.

we're doing this one in black similar to recent pics, with the color dmd if it is out, and a couple other tricks. The second one Jim is doing for me is classic HE chrome. I'm going to hopefully, someday, post pics of the two side by side. I say hopefully cause I'm already getting some emails where people want to buy one or the other, and I can't in good conscience keep both! Well, maybe I can....

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from v8torino:

DocScott and Jim have you guys decided on a scheme for this machine? I mean like doing a machine like HEP recently posted on here BAFM-(Black Attack from Mars) that machine was unbelievable,I would copy that if I was in a position to have a machine rebuilt with Jim's skill and attention to detail.

we're doing this one in black similar to recent pics, with the color dmd if it is out, and a couple other tricks. The second one Jim is doing for me is classic HE chrome. I'm going to hopefully, someday, post pics of the two side by side. I say hopefully cause I'm already getting some emails where people want to buy one or the other, and I can't in good conscience keep both! Well, maybe I can....

#19 12 years ago

very exciting Jim. Sure hoping it can be ready by May 5th pinball party!

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Thanks Bryan ! Nice to see you on pinside. Just for the record,Bryan Kelly is a big part of the reason I do restorations ! He has always helped me when ever I needed it. I am proud to call Bryan Kelly a true friend.

Jim

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from docscott:

Sure hoping it can be ready by May 5th pinball party!

A full restore in a month- Holy Crap, that would be hard.

If there are any parts that need replacing, just getting them from the vendor would derail that deadline. Many times you don't know something needs replacing until after you pulled it and need to put it back on. Getting parts back in time derails deadlines as those are out of restorers hands. Example: The person chroming the parts might be back logged, or Bay Area sends you the wrong pop bumper cap.

Good luck, I hope it makes it to your party as it would be a center piece.

Couple of things that I think are cool mods you might like.

Shaker motor: Awesome effects
Lighted background: Adds to the game looks.
Bill Ung Kit: Makes the saucers look awesome.
Chromed ships: Little expensive- but they look better than stock.
Sound kit: Better sound equal better experience.
Don't over LED it: The translight has clear areas on it, I would not put LEDs in the box as it is too bright.
Pinbit Black Out Kit/Strobe kit:

Anyways, take suggestions with a grain of salt, as everybody has different tastes.

Doing 2 is going to be hard to pick which one you like the best. Just beware, getting games restored is addicting.

#22 12 years ago

Wow looks great so far.

#23 12 years ago

Thanks for posting the progress, can't wait to see the finished product.
Doug

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

docscott said:Sure hoping it can be ready by May 5th pinball party!
If there are any parts that need replacing, just getting them from the vendor would derail that deadline. Many times you don't know something needs replacing until after you pulled it and need to put it back on. Getting parts back in time derails deadlines as those are out of restorers hands. Example: The person chroming the parts might be back logged, or Bay Area sends you the wrong pop bumper cap.
Don't over LED it: The translight has clear areas on it, I would not put LEDs in the box as it is too bright.
Anyways, take suggestions with a grain of salt, as everybody has different tastes.
Doing 2 is going to be hard to pick which one you like the best. Just beware, getting games restored is addicting.

We're actually doing each of those mods, plus, if available, the color dmd, and of course the black powder coat on everything. No costs spared on this one, or, unfortunately, the next one he's doing for me. yes, it is addicting, with Jim agreeing to do several more HE restores for me after this.

#25 12 years ago

Love seeing the pics - thanks for posting!

#26 12 years ago

do you have a link or pics of the bafm? can't seem to find any. i tried googling and doing a search here.

#27 12 years ago

More.. more!

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

do you have a link or pics of the bafm? can't seem to find any. i tried googling and doing a search here.

Here it is.... the colors look awesome. Almost like this game was meant to be this way.
Once I'm done restoring my WH2O, AFM is going to be next in my shop and I'm definitely doing it in black like this. The only variation I may throw in is red powdercoated wireforms instead of the black. I find them a bit too much on that playfield.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-black-with-black-mirror-blades

Can't wait to see how this turns out Jim!

#29 12 years ago

Just a little peek of the cabinet , body work almost complete and the primer should fly tomorrow .

Jim

IMG_2213.JPGIMG_2213.JPG IMG_2214.JPGIMG_2214.JPG IMG_2215.JPGIMG_2215.JPG

#30 12 years ago

You're taunting me with those Festools Jim

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

You're taunting me with those Festools Jim

Everyone should have festools ! My shop is not even dirty and do you know how much dust is created when you sand body filler ? Tons . I could not imagine life with out them .

Jim

#32 12 years ago

Bud...Bud...Bud

Jim, I suspect that you must drink lots of Budweiser since you have a few hard to find items on the walls of your shop. I especially like the frog.

#33 12 years ago

Damn he's good!

#34 12 years ago

OK, who's the guy with the butt crack damn near showing? I know that aint' you, Jim.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

uote cite="#208884">Just a little peek of the cabinet , body work almost complete and the primer should fly tomorrow .
Jim

Attachments IMG_2215.JPG (162.6 KB, 0 downloads) 14 hours old IMG_2214.JPG (229.6 KB, 0 downloads) 14 hours old IMG_2213.JPG (241.9 KB, 0 downloads) 14 hours old

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

OK, who's the guy with the butt crack damn near showing? I know that aint' you, Jim.

Ha Ha ! That is Kenny the electrician . He know his way around these pinball machines .

Jim

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

Jim, I suspect that you must drink lots of Budweiser

Nope , just have access to lots of Bud stuff to hang on the walls .

I don't even drink .

Jim

#37 12 years ago

We electricians don't show butt cracks. That's the plumbers job.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Quoted from McCune:

Bryan_Kelly said:OK, who's the guy with the butt crack damn near showing? I know that aint' you, Jim.
Ha Ha ! That is Kenny the electrician . He know his way around these pinball machines .
Jim

#38 12 years ago

That's pretty cool Jim....Doc is gonna be thrilled with those restores

#39 12 years ago

This thread really makes me wish I could have afforded to send the AFM I had to honda! That's gonna be a beauty.

#40 12 years ago

Can I send my wife to honda?

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Can I send my wife to honda?

Classic.

#42 12 years ago

It's not gonna be Classic when she reads this! shhhhhhhh

#43 12 years ago

shhhhhh!

ted_and_the_woman.jpgted_and_the_woman.jpg

#44 12 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

It's not gonna be Classic when she reads this! shhhhhhhh

You make blackmail way too easy...

#46 12 years ago

smooth as a babies behind, Jim. Getting exciting!

#47 12 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

shhhhhh!

Attachments ted_and_the_woman.jpg (400.7 KB, 0 downloads) 16 minutes old

This is an instance where Jim's services are clearly not required.

#48 12 years ago

You mean I can't swap out the legs??

#49 12 years ago
Quoted from docscott:

jimjim66 said:docscott said:Sure hoping it can be ready by May 5th pinball party!
We're actually doing each of those mods, plus, if available, the color dmd, and of course the black powder coat on everything. No costs spared on this one, or, unfortunately, the next one he's doing for me. yes, it is addicting, with Jim agreeing to do several more HE restores for me after this.

Wow thats going to sweet congrats docscott... pretty cool you watch the progress being posted on here.

#50 12 years ago

It's always fun watching Jim work!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.50
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/docscotts-afm-teardown-scott-it-has-officially-begun-33112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.