You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2994_(Custom).JPG
IMG_2990_(Custom).JPG
IMG_2779_(Custom).JPG
#1 12 years ago

I'm finding it more difficult to make good progress thru the modes on SM because of the Doc Ock. If the speed-bump magnet doesn't bounce the ball into the gate rubber, the ball many times is simply regurgitated from the back or even bottom of the hole.

I know something can be put onto the hole to reduce the bounce-back...but what are folks here using?

Is it possible to simply loosen the big nut under the magnet to remove or adjust the magnet height...or does the whole assembly need to be removed?

#2 12 years ago

Could you clarify exactly what the problem is here?

By speed bump magnet, you mean the magnet at the enterance to the doc ock lane is acting like a speedbump? On the machine I play, that is level with the playfield, and it's my understanding that this is correct, and it isn't supposed to significantly effect the path of the ball (unless it's turned on, of course )

You're saying that the ball is often bouncing out of the doc ock saucer?, and rolling back down the lane? I've never seen that happen, nor does it seem like something that plausibly could happen, considering how the one near me plays...

I know there's some setting that controls whether Doc Ock rises and lowers (sometimes blocking the shot) during gameplay. But i've never heard of the ball actually bouncing out of the saucer. I think careful observation is in order, something must be out of alignment or something.

#3 12 years ago

On mine the magnet is slightly raised - and appears to also be slightly mushroomed at the top at this point. This causes the ball to hop as its going over. I've seen where the usual treatment is to remove the magnet and grind it down flat (or get a new one). I'm mainly looking for a method to remove the actual magnet with as little disassembly as possible.

As for the other, the ball will many times bounce off the wood block at the back of the lane and come back out. Sometimes it even bounces out of the hole.

#4 12 years ago

Yeah, definitely remove and fix/replace the magnet core. It could be that a bounce imparted by the raised magnet core is contributing to the bounce-out problem. At best, raised magnet cores tend to contribute to wear around the magnet from the ball hopping into the air and then impacting the PF.

I suspect there will be some level of disassembly involved, but I don't own an SM, so I can't offer much help on that. The manual would, I assume, have a section on disassembly of the magnet if it's not obvious how to do so when you start examining it.

#5 12 years ago

I've gone down this road. A heightened magnet definitely impacts gameplay and things are 100% better once it's addressed.

The magnet assembly drops out quite easily -- it just requires unplugging a molex and unscrewing two screws. Depending on how mushroomed the head is, you've got to be very careful about damaging the playfield when you pull the magnet out of the playfield. If it's too big to fit, you've got a bigger problem. (More on that in a minute.)

Once the magnet assembly is off, you'll want to sand off the mushroomed edges and sand the pole flat on top (I moved through a few grits of sandpaper -- I think 120 to do the work up to 400 to get nice and shiny).

Once that's done, it's theoretically as simple as adjusting the nut to change the height of the pole and get it level. I say theoretically because the nut is attached to the bolt with a metric s*8t-ton of loctite. I've read of people needing a blow torch and extra long handled wrench/big bench vice combo to get it to release. I used a torch and still never successfully got mine to release -- wrench and vice were not big enough, apparently. I lucked out by hitting about the right height when I sanded it in the first place.

Too much of a pain? The whole assembly can be had for 35 bucks new. The pole and bracket are two separate pieces.

If the head is mushroomed so much that it won't come down through the hole, you are in trouble. It's a bad idea to use a torch on the underside of your playfield (yeah, I know, obvious statement of the week), and it's hard to sand off the edges of the pole when the magnet is still in the playfield. I don't know the solution.

Once you get the magnet fixed, you are going to find that the hole bounce-outs are worse now that you are actually making direct shots to the hole. You'll want to put a piece of drop dead foam (think pinbits sells it) or weather insulation stripping both on the metal plate behind the hole and the wood platform behind the hole. All will be well. Then cover the magnet with molex (somebody sells a custom-sized piece, not on my usual computer to check now) so it doesn't mushroom again. Good luck.

#6 12 years ago

Cover with mylar not molex hehe...thx for the laugh

#7 12 years ago

Thanks C3...that's exactly what I was hoping for - provided mine isn't mushroomed in place. It appears I might be able to take down the mag so that its level with the pf as its domed now. I've heard the nut is a biatch if it needs to be worked. Sounds as it'd be fairly simple to unscrew the assembly enough to see if its going to give me trouble at least.

I bought a few of the small circle mylar - one for the ock mag when its fixed, and the other two for the wireframe drops at the inlanes.

Given I can get the ball to stick at about 25% of good shots at doc, any improvement would help

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Cover with mylar not molex hehe...thx for the laugh

Ha! That's what I get for trying to sneak a note in while I'm on my way out the door. I'd edit it, but it's more fun the way it is. I like the image of it.

#9 12 years ago

You can buy the foam here for the Doc Oc hole.
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&products_id=247
or you can just buy a strip of the foam and cut to size like I did though I never had any bounce out issues. Did it anyway.
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=131
I also covered the magnet with a mylar circle just in case.

#10 12 years ago

Wiz,
If I can be of any assistance, let me know. You probably need a third party to test out that new shaker motor anyway

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

I know something can be put onto the hole to reduce the bounce-back...but what are folks here using?

I put a blue rubber pad there and it works 100%. Make sure to clean before install and to press it very firmly into place.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=689&parent=0

It is important for the magnet to be at the proper height. You can adjust it but it can be a real pain as they glued the large nut into place. You can use lube to make it easier to loosen. I had to take it out to loosen the large nut first then re-installed adjusted height and re-tighten the nut to secure it in place.

1 week later
#12 12 years ago

I was able to pull the magnet. I got really fortunate in that the magnet core was not mushroomed to a degree that it couldn't be removed from the pf (after some poking and prodding) - though I couldn't remove the magnet from the core. Also fortunate is that I was able to sand the core down so that it was level with the pf without having to loosen the nut.

Its still a bit rough and I really need a finer grit than 120 to polish it up some. Doc Ock is much easier to hit now with hardly any bounce back/out. I even had a real nice game where I set a new 1st high score (350M), bumped my combo record to 35 (also replaced flipper sleeves), and knocked one of the last two "foreign" (default) initials from the game (Battle Royale Bonus 50M-->75M). Only have the default Super hero bonus left to beat - after I'm able to get to it - eventually

Thanks for the info....I love this place.

IMG_2779_(Custom).JPGIMG_2779_(Custom).JPG IMG_2990_(Custom).JPGIMG_2990_(Custom).JPG IMG_2994_(Custom).JPGIMG_2994_(Custom).JPG

#13 12 years ago

i'm having a hard time believing that only the magnet was the issue? unless it was set so high on the playfield that it was influencing the ball play? my DH magnet was so shroomed out, it lost at least 3 inches of total play, no joke. glad to see you resolved your problem. spidey is one of my fav machines to play!

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

i'm having a hard time believing that only the magnet was the issue?

its hard to see in the first pic, but easier in the second. The core was probably an eighth inch above the pf and would literally get the ball airborne as it went over (striking the doc gate and bouncing back). if you notice in the second pic the beveled edge, that was the leading edge of the core as it sat in the pf. I essentially sanded it down until the bevel was gone. Now its nice and level with the pf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doc-ock-fixes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.