6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Melbourne
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Concrete or carpet?? I mad not going to ask about wood floors because most people have some type of protector underneath each leg for wood floors....I know a pinball machine is heavy enough to do some damage on wood flooring.

Why I ask is because currently I have my pins in an unfinished basement....on concrete. But my parents are moving and gave me a couple large carpet remnants/rugs to use in my basement. And I was thinking about using one for my pins....is carpet better....concrete better....anyone have a certain preference??

What do you say...huh.

#2 6 years ago

i'd say my pinball machines are kind of like me. they sit/dwell where they can. personally i think i'd wreck a nice hardwood floor with pinball machines (nudges and frustrating tilts at the end of balls would create some scrathing) i like carpet for gameplay, its just not 100% level

i like to play on carpet so i can't slide the machines around. i do love me some nudgin nudges.

#3 6 years ago

Carpet for sure. I started with mine in a concrete basement and then carpeted the whole thing making it a lot better.

Just being able to put carpet sliders underneath and being able to move the machines is worth it alone. Not to mention not lurking arouind in a concrete basement

#4 6 years ago

One on Pergo and one on concrete.

#5 6 years ago

If you're going to put your pins on concrete or hardwood floors, pick up some of the rubber castors from Pinball Life. I use these on my games, as they keep them from sliding around and damaging my hardwood floors (and the neighboring pins).
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=564&parent=7

#6 6 years ago

Tile.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

If you're going to put your pins on concrete or hardwood floors, pick up some of the rubber castors from Pinball Life. I use these on my games, as they keep them from sliding around and damaging my hardwood floors (and the neighboring pins).
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=564&parent=7

+1 regarding rubber casters from PBL, especially on concrete. I know someone that uses the furniture sliders on and his pins are on carpet, that seems to be the ideal setup, especially for moving purposes.

#8 6 years ago

Mine are on carpet and cheap furniture coasters work well as I can slide a pinball machine all over the floor easily.

#9 6 years ago

I have mine on hardwood floors in gameroom....use the furniture pads that stick to the bottom of the leg....I get a big patch and cut them into squares to the size I need, works great and slides perfectly if I need to move it!

#10 6 years ago

Mine are on coasters, which sit on VC tile over concrete. I use the coasters just to protect the flooring. Small throw rug in front of your pins are a good idea for the player. It's something I need to do, that concrete can make you ache after a while.

#11 6 years ago

My machine is on carpet too, however; do any of you that have them on carpet worry about static buildup when you are walking up to your machines?? I always wondered about that and what the possibilities really are of doing damage..... Over reaction mabe???

#12 6 years ago

2 in the garage (soon to be 3) on cement with the rubber feet, 3 in the house on carpet (sitting on wood Pin Footies).

#13 6 years ago

Ok...alot of good ideas and advice. Why would one put rubber feet on a pin sitting on concrete though?? Does it help with nudging and such?? Also...I understand why people put some type of floor coasters on there machines sitting on carpet for moving there pinball machines around....but are people really moving these around that much?? Once I place a pin in a spot....it's pretty much there to stay! Unless it makes nudging and table control better....I don't see why keeping these sliders on permanently is a thing. Is it to make sure leveling is consistent?!

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Ok...alot of good ideas and advice. Why would one put rubber feet on a pin sitting on concrete though?? Does it help with nudging and such?? Also...I understand why people put some type of floor coasters on there machines sitting on carpet for moving there pinball machines around....but are people really moving these around that much?? Once I place a pin in a spot....it's pretty much there to stay! Unless it makes nudging and table control better....I don't see why keeping these sliders on permanently is a thing. Is it to make sure leveling is consistent?!

Because without the rubber on the feet, the pin will slip and slide all over the place.

#15 6 years ago

Oh, and the wood pin footies I use are to prevent damage to the carpet. Has nothing to do with moving the pin.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

My machine is on carpet too, however; do any of you that have them on carpet worry about static buildup when you are walking up to your machines?? I always wondered about that and what the possibilities really are of doing damage..... Over reaction mabe???

That would only be a problem, if your were pulling one of your boards out of the game without being grounded. You should always discharge (ground) yourself before touching anything with IC's in it.They sell wrist straps for this at Radio Shack. As far as hurting the game with a shock upon walking up to it, I highly doubt it. Especially if it's plugged in.

#17 6 years ago

Moved to the Gameroom Talk sub forum. Pinside Talk is for issues/recommendations with the forum itself.

Mine are on rubber castors to keep them from sliding. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=564&parent=7
    And those are on carpet because that is what is in my gameroom.

#18 6 years ago

gameroom floor is concrete. All my pins have rubber locking wheels on the back. Easy to move around and lock down easily

#20 6 years ago

Pergo AKA fake hardwood floors. I've scratched them to hell. Oh well, I'll replace it when I move ii guess.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Oh, and the wood pin footies I use are to prevent damage to the carpet.

Do those really even work? (No seriously, I am asking.)
    I was under the assumption that, at the end of the day it is still a bunch of weight just sitting there in the same spot for an extended period of time, so it really wouldn't matter that much if I increased the foot radius by an inch or so... The carpet would still have the dent, right?
    When I moved a machine the last time, all I had to do to bring the carpet back up was to just use a simple fork and some decent vacuuming. You couldn't really tell that there was a machine there in the first place. If anything, there are bigger depressions in FRONT of the machines than anywhere else! Not that that's a bad thing...

#23 6 years ago

Rubber footies or carpet will cut back on the noise for your neighbors, if this a problem.

#24 6 years ago

I would stay with concrete.

Carpet in general is only good for bedrooms these days. Carpet is harder to clean and is bad for people with allergies. All other home areas including game rooms should be tile or hardwood flooring, or concrete is appropriate if your dealing with a basement or garage.

#25 6 years ago

Epoxied concrete. They slide around just enough if I need to move em, But not too much if I am nudging. It's that way by circumstance, not really by choice!

#26 6 years ago

Mine are on carpet, but I have the black rubber casters on them so they do not slide easily.

Phoebe

#27 6 years ago

Mine are on tile..I put plastic sliders on the bottom to protect the floor.

#28 6 years ago

I picked up a bunch of those custom-made kevlar levelers for my pins a while back. Somebody made them with the threaded post built in so you just unscrew the old ones and put these on. Great for my carpet as it still lets you slide them around easily and does not hurt your ability to nudge. images.jpg

#29 6 years ago

Tile floors, but the tile is not smooth texture, has the "spackling" texture which throws my level reading off, so have compensate by adjusting the leg levelers at different lengths. Each one is at diffent lengths, kinda looks funny but the game is level. Anyone else run into this with tile floors?

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheStranger:

Carpet in general is only good for bedrooms these days. Carpet is harder to clean and is bad for people with allergies. All other home areas including game rooms should be tile or hardwood flooring, or concrete is appropriate if your dealing with a basement or garage.

You make some good points, but I still think carpet is a much better choice for pins. As others have mentioned, you just stick some furniture sliders under the legs, and it makes it so easy to move the pins around. The carpet also helps to dampen all the noise from the pins. Plus, it's probably better on your joints and/or feet to have a little cushioning under you when you play.

#31 6 years ago

I have mine on carpet and Epoxied Concrete. I use the carpet slider disks on both.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

RobT said:Oh, and the wood pin footies I use are to prevent damage to the carpet.

Do those really even work? (No seriously, I am asking.)
    I was under the assumption that, at the end of the day it is still a bunch of weight just sitting there in the same spot for an extended period of time, so it really wouldn't matter that much if I increased the foot radius by an inch or so... The carpet would still have the dent, right?
    When I moved a machine the last time, all I had to do to bring the carpet back up was to just use a simple fork and some decent vacuuming. You couldn't really tell that there was a machine there in the first place. If anything, there are bigger depressions in FRONT of the machines than anywhere else! Not that that's a bad thing...

They work extremely well. Just like the laws of physics says they would!

#33 6 years ago

Epoxied concrete, went down to casterland, bought and installed rubber feet .

1 week later
    #34 6 years ago

I have mine on carpet over a poured concrete slab. I tried the furniture coasters on the carpet but found getting them perfectly level and staying that way with kids was tough.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,199.95
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 95.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9,000.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside