(Topic ID: 231922)

Do Your Grandkids Dig Your Pins?-With Poll

By wolverinetuner

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Have your pins made you a popular grandparent?”

• Yes 80 votes
      50%
    • No 80 votes
      50%

(160 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240412_053616 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240412_053503 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8093 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8091 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20231019_184725_Messenger (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5567 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5565 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7737 (resized).jpeg
    Chutes (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1993.JPG (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220818-063818_Photos (resized).jpg
    50FE2905-2FA2-4C41-AEC1-3AA510357988 (resized).jpeg
    A7CDF466-EDEF-4A85-B136-56516A0CE6A8 (resized).jpeg
    girlies with Peppy (resized).png
    dining room (resized).jpeg
    DSC04277 (resized).JPG
    There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from fanuminski:

first grandchild - Brooklyn - is just 11+ weeks old now and I can't wait to get her to play/see the pins. I have a pitch and bat
    I'm working on now that I figure will be easiest to play at the beginning. I plan on getting a baby harness for her hang in front
    while I play. I guess I can't vote in the poll till I see how she likes them! I've got an extra Sing Along that I plan
    on giving to my son so that she can play at home... unless he gets too lazy to play it with her (ha! Millennials ...too much Xbox/PS )

OK - first baby "pin party" Brooklyn 7 months old now and picked up a baby harness. Kept her quiet for a while anyway -lol

IMG_2134 (resized).JPGIMG_2134 (resized).JPGIMG_2135 (resized).JPGIMG_2135 (resized).JPGIMG_2137 (resized).JPGIMG_2137 (resized).JPGIMG_2143 (1) (resized).PNGIMG_2143 (1) (resized).PNG
    #102 4 years ago

Well I’m not old enough for grandkids although technically I probably am (oh sh!t). Anyway my kids aren’t even interested. Oh well.

1 month later
    #103 4 years ago
    Quoted from fanuminski:

OK - first baby "pin party" Brooklyn 7 months old now and picked up a baby harness. Kept her quiet for a while anyway -lol[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I apologize for the delay in responding, but I didn’t realize the thread had reached the next page until today.

Way to get Brooklyn familiar with pins! My wife sometimes holds our now 6-month old granddaughter near me while I’m playing a pin, and she seems to like the lights and chimes. Once in a while her eyes will even follow the ball.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Well I’m not old enough for grandkids although technically I probably am (oh sh!t). Anyway my kids aren’t even interested. Oh well.

But if your kids have kids, then you get a whole new chance to get young ones interested, in a different, but very cool relationship. I’ve found grandparenting to be a great gig. I get to relive the joys of parenting without hardly any of the responsibility! And my granddaughter can’t even talk yet!

3 weeks later
    #105 4 years ago

Seven months old, and now she can follow the ball!

78795776-8025-414A-A360-CA19240EA508 (resized).jpeg78795776-8025-414A-A360-CA19240EA508 (resized).jpeg
    #106 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I can hear it now... “No thanks, grampa, I have pinball on my Xbox. It's the same thing.”

"Mom, can we go to the pinball expo?"
    "That's expensive Johhny, we have pinball at home!"

Pinball at home:

20200126_090003 (resized).jpg20200126_090003 (resized).jpg
    #107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

"Mom, can we go to the pinball expo?"
    "That's expensive Johhny, we have pinball at home!"
    Pinball at home:[quoted image]

Yeah, and you can even probably shoot pool and go bowling with that at home too. Who needs to ever leave that table to do anything?

#108 4 years ago

Started Mine at 8 Months....She was trying to grab the Ball and T Rex through the Glass.

A Mousin is going to them in a few months as her Pinball "Training Wheels".
    Her Mom and Dad are I are working on a way for her to play.
    I expect her by two, to be running around yelling, "Do You want to Mouse Around!"
    Resized_20191203_145221 (resized).jpgResized_20191203_145221 (resized).jpg

bathtime (resized).jpgbathtime (resized).jpg
    #109 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Started Mine at 8 Months....She was trying to grab the Ball and T Rex through the Glass.
    A Mousin is going to them in a few months as her Pinball "Training Wheels".
    Her Mom and Dad are I are working on a way for her to play.
    I expect her by two, to be running around yelling, "Do You want to Mouse Around!"
    [quoted image][quoted image]

You are the man with a plan! Thanks for sharing!

#110 4 years ago

Took my grandkids to AWOL today and they found a quarter left in a machine. It was the highlight for my youngest 2years old. My 4 year old just liked to play vid shooting game and look at JP pro. Small win for me lol.

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from HOOKED:

Took my grandkids to AWOL today and they found a quarter left in a machine. It was the highlight for my youngest 2years old. My 4 year old just liked to play vid shooting game and look at JP pro. Small win for me lol.

Sounds like some you’ve led them to some early positive thoughts about pinball!

3 weeks later
    #112 4 years ago

she's almost 10 months now... just getting a bit heavier to carry lol

me and brooklyn (resized).jpegme and brooklyn (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #113 4 years ago
    Quoted from fanuminski:

she's almost 10 months now... just getting a bit heavier to carry lol[quoted image]

Sorry, missed the post. Looks like she’s interested in the gameplay. But I think fairly soon you’re going to need a different system for holding her up the way she’s growing, or maybe a back brace!

2 weeks later
    #114 4 years ago

Any grandkids coming over to play pinball for something to do with so many public venues closed? Any grandparents having this experience? (My granddaughter is now 9 months old, so she’s not quite able to play mine yet.)

#115 4 years ago

I can't even get my twin 17 year old boys to play, even with titles like Deadpool and Ghostbusters. If they do play, its usually only a game or two and they always leave the third ball of the second game sitting in the shooter lane.

Consider yourself very blessed. I can only pray that when they have kids, thier children will have a greater interest in the silver ball and my collection.

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

I can't even get my twin 17 year old boys to play, even with titles like Deadpool and Ghostbusters. If they do play, its usually only a game or two and they always leave the third ball of the second game sitting in the shooter lane.
    Consider yourself very blessed. I can only pray that when they have kids, thier children will have a greater interest in the silver ball and my collection.

My granddaughter’s mom (i.e., my daughter) likes to play my pins and even came with me to a pinball show once. Hopefully that gene made it to my granddaughter!

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

My granddaughter’s mom (i.e., my daughter) likes to play my pins and even came with me to a pinball show once. Hopefully that gene made it to my granddaughter!

I find it can skip a generation....My Grandfather invented Coin Op Machines, around 1915-1917, overseas.
    My father couldnt care. My son played when he was little, but not now. Now my grandaughter pictured above, Loves to watch the video of her sitting on JP, and grabbing the Dino!
    I cant wait to see her try again!

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I find it can skip a generation....My Grandfather invented Coin Op Machines, around 1915-1917, overseas.
    My father couldnt care. My son played when he was little, but not now. Now my grandaughter pictured above, Loves to watch the video of her sitting on JP, and grabbing the Dino!
    I cant wait to see her try again!

Wow, I’m impressed! Coin Op itself is in your bloodline! Maybe this new generation will be the one to pick up on pins again.

3 months later
    #119 3 years ago

She’s 1 year old now, and that silver ball is getting a little more interesting!

A45EFCCD-5622-49AB-A291-B6E235FE37C3 (resized).jpegA45EFCCD-5622-49AB-A291-B6E235FE37C3 (resized).jpeg
    #120 3 years ago

just shy of 14 months now .. and a crappy edited video ...

14 month brooklyn and pins (resized).jpg14 month brooklyn and pins (resized).jpg
    #121 3 years ago

So, I sold my 12 pin collection last year as we sold our large home and downsized to a small condo.

I really want to buy one pin that my grandson would grow up loving and playing. Keeping my fingers crossed that JJP's Toy Story will be amazing.

#122 3 years ago

3 Grandkids, 1 pin (soon to be corrected) and they can't get enough. All 3 love pinball but suck at it, my 3 kids all love pinball but suck at it and I love pinball but suck at it. Seems hereditary to me.

All 3 looked forward to that first time they could reach both flipper buttons at the same time.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from fanuminski:

just shy of 14 months now .. and a crappy edited video ... [quoted image]

I especially like the clapping at the Monster Bash!

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

So, I sold my 12 pin collection last year as we sold our large home and downsized to a small condo.
    I really want to buy one pin that my grandson would grow up loving and playing. Keeping my fingers crossed that JJP's Toy Story will be amazing.

Toy Story sounds like the perfect theme for grandkids!

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from CPanther95:

3 Grandkids, 1 pin (soon to be corrected) and they can't get enough. All 3 love pinball but suck at it, my 3 kids all love pinball but suck at it and I love pinball but suck at it. Seems hereditary to me.
    All 3 looked forward to that first time they could reach both flipper buttons at the same time.

Sounds like your family shares my pinball skills gene!

#126 3 years ago

My Grandaughter has moved back from Nashville, and today at 15 months was her first visit back.
    She picked up herself how to push start, pull the plunger and launch the ball, and press a flipper button. Whoa Nellie and JP were her favorites.
    Watch out..she will be tearing up tournaments in a few years. She was glued!

Resized_20200627_180707 (resized).jpgResized_20200627_180707 (resized).jpg

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My Grandaughter has moved back from Nashville, and today at 15 months was her first visit back.
    She picked up herself how to push start, pull the plunger and launch the ball, and press a flipper button. Whoa Nellie and JP were her favorites.
    Watch out..she will be tearing up tournaments in a few years. She was glued!
    [quoted image]

That’s a lot at that stage. Sounds like the post pass isn’t far away!

#128 3 years ago

My grandson at Houston Pinball and arcade Expo...he’s better than me at all my machines....

7759E493-1E32-4AB9-AFCE-AC843F56E32A (resized).jpeg7759E493-1E32-4AB9-AFCE-AC843F56E32A (resized).jpeg
    #129 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

My grandson at Houston Pinball and arcade Expo...he’s better than me at all my machines....
    [quoted image]

Sounds like a head start to tournament victories! He looks intense. Based on your post, I’m pretty sure he could easily beat me!

#130 3 years ago

Batter up!

Robert

7D51D266-BC51-44CA-90EE-53EEBB0A0975 (resized).jpeg7D51D266-BC51-44CA-90EE-53EEBB0A0975 (resized).jpeg

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Batter up!
    Robert
    [quoted image]

Looks like a baseball batter now, an eater of cake batter (and ice cream) a little later! Great pic!

5 months later
    #132 3 years ago

19+ months now - don't have to hold her anymore. still can't reach the flipper buttons though on pins -
    but could pitch the ball on this Williams Line Drive

thumbnail_IMG_0852 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0852 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0854 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0854 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0857 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0857 (resized).jpg
    #133 3 years ago

Another 19 Month Old.
    Alex visited today, her third time this year to see pinball.
    We were painting in the other room, and I whispered,
    "wanna play pinball?"
    Her face lights up, and she squeals, "Pinball!", and runs off to the other room, and starts pressing JP start button!

Alex played for a half hour, with Mom and I, and clapped, yelled, "Jackpot" and "Multiball!"

Oh, how my heart swells, that she remembered so much, and enjoyed looking at all the playfieds.

Her 2 next favorites, Dialed in and Whoa Nellie.
    Road show was a little less, with the faces, and Walking dead, of course, was avoided at all times.

Alex pinball (resized).jpgAlex pinball (resized).jpg
    #134 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

and starts pressing JP start button

Our Gwen is now 17 months old and can’t play yet, but she’ll press the start button if we ask her to. She’s gotten so good at it that she walked up and pressed it while my daughter and I were in the middle of a game and reset the machine! She also likes checking the coin returns.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Another 19 Month Old.
    Alex visited today, her third time this year to see pinball.
    We were painting in the other room, and I whispered,
    "wanna play pinball?"
    Her face lights up, and she squeals, "Pinball!", and runs off to the other room, and starts pressing JP start button!
    Alex played for a half hour, with Mom and I, and clapped, yelled, "Jackpot" and "Multiball!"
    Oh, how my heart swells, that she remembered so much, and enjoyed looking at all the playfieds.
    Her 2 next favorites, Dialed in and Whoa Nellie.
    Road show was a little less, with the faces, and Walking dead, of course, was avoided at all times.[quoted image]

Thanks for the idea, Art. We just set Gwen up on the little stepladder to watch mom play Nip-It. Shortly after this photo she hit the start button and reset the machine!

BA515CE5-E9C7-40FA-A9CC-149127FB90F9 (resized).jpegBA515CE5-E9C7-40FA-A9CC-149127FB90F9 (resized).jpeg
    #136 3 years ago

I use to have a picture of me at close to 2, playing Bingo Pinball, with my Parents and Grandmother, at the
    arcades on the far Rockaway Boardwalk.

Could the few introductions at such a young age, be the reason for my lifetime obsession?

I remember until 5 or so, the heck with the rides, give me pinball!
    (Mostly it was for the tickets to get these coin purses...which fascinated me, and Punks, where I got in trouble as a child
    pyro!...the older cousins would get those for me!)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #137 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I use to have a picture of me at close to 2, playing Bingo Pinball, with my Parents and Grandmother, at the
    arcades on the far Rockaway Boardwalk

I wish you still had that photo to share! It would fit right in on this thread, with YOU as the grandkid!

#138 3 years ago

Just a parent, but my two year old will ask me to play pinball (The Shadow) by saying "Margo!" I can be playing, unsure exactly where he is, and can place him based on where his parroted "Margo," comes from. If he is around it's a four player game because he has to hit Start, and he has to shoot the gun (plunger). I'll guide his fingers on the buttons so he can play, but he loses interest pretty quick.

My baby has spent many many naps in the carrier with my wife or me playing, so he'll probably grow up with balls in his blood.

We'll see how the nieces and nephews do once COVID is under control. Most are too young to enjoy, anyways.

The big thing that shocked me is how much the grandparents (minus one) like playing. My in-laws live in the suite below us and my father-in-law will play with us after dinner almost every night. He grew up in the U.S.S.R., so he played pinball maybe once or twice in his life before I got a machine.

3 months later
    #139 3 years ago

21 months now. Still can’t play yet, but she wants to be part of the action.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    3 months later
    #140 2 years ago

she's just shy of 2 years + 3 months now - has found and can use the flippers but
    usually when the ball comes down she just puts her hands on the glass and watches the ball -but removes them from
    the flippers. soon though she should be able to put two and two together and hit the ball ...

thumbnail_IMG_1744 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_1744 (resized).jpg
    #142 2 years ago

No grandkids, but my niece and nephew run to the machines when they visit from NY every 2 years.

They're due tomorrow for the latest update in the series

Screenshot_20210719-214438_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210719-214438_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210722-120108_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210722-120108_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210722-120123_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210722-120123_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210722-120138_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210722-120138_Facebook (resized).jpg
    #143 2 years ago

Yes but I have to cover up TWD, Halloween on order and no doubt so will that one!

0BDE451B-0141-4B02-AC0E-4187BC648437 (resized).jpeg0BDE451B-0141-4B02-AC0E-4187BC648437 (resized).jpeg
    #144 2 years ago

Hadn’t seen the new posts on the thread. Great photos!

#145 2 years ago

Getting bigger and better!

IMG_20210731_110350 (resized).jpgIMG_20210731_110350 (resized).jpgIMG_20210731_110440 (resized).jpgIMG_20210731_110440 (resized).jpg
    4 months later
    #146 2 years ago

She can plunge the ball to the top!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    4 months later
    #147 1 year ago

Jim [@wolverinetuner] spotted Julia playing Mermaid on a different post and invited me to join into this group. Yep, as a grandfather x 7, my house has turned into a combination of living quarters and game rooms. Who needs a dining room, anyway?

My g'kids age in range from 6.5 to 2. All have been playing the pinballs and arcades since they were little

It just so happens that Julia, the oldest, is the most interested in the pinballs. Her first exposure was with the "Queena Farts" (her words) when she was 3.

DSC04277 (resized).JPGDSC04277 (resized).JPGJulia (resized).jpgJulia (resized).jpgdining room (resized).jpegdining room (resized).jpeggirlies with Peppy (resized).pnggirlies with Peppy (resized).png
    #148 1 year ago
    Quoted from oldcarz:

Jim [wolverinetuner] spotted Julia playing Mermaid on a different post and invited me to join into this group. Yep, as a grandfather x 7, my house has turned into a combination of living quarters and game rooms. Who needs a dining room, anyway?
    My g'kids age in range from 6.5 to 2. All have been playing the pinballs and arcades since they were little
    It just so happens that Julia, the oldest, is the most interested in the pinballs. Her first exposure was with the "Queena Farts" (her words) when she was 3.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great photos! Good to see classics being enjoyed by the newest generation. Thanks for sharing.

#149 1 year ago
    Quoted from oldcarz:

Jim [wolverinetuner] spotted Julia playing Mermaid on a different post and invited me to join into this group. Yep, as a grandfather x 7, my house has turned into a combination of living quarters and game rooms. Who needs a dining room, anyway?
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

wonderful pics! I laughed out loud at the "queena farts" reference!

#150 1 year ago

Some do and some don’t.

A7CDF466-EDEF-4A85-B136-56516A0CE6A8 (resized).jpegA7CDF466-EDEF-4A85-B136-56516A0CE6A8 (resized).jpeg
    There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-your-grandkids-dig-your-pins/page/3?hl=afinemoose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.