(Topic ID: 198717)

Do You Work On Your Skills Or Just Play?

By Chisox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MrFancy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Grecian Urn Pose (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spidey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 6 years ago

For many years after I first got into the hobby i didn't work on skills because I didn't know what they were. Then YouTube comes along and I see Bowen Kerrins showing how it's supposed to be done. I was amazed at how he could catch the ball and get it under control. So I set out to learn to do it like he did. At first I couldn't do live catches at all, but I kept practicing. Eventually it clicked and became easy. Now when I watch videos of someone playing pinball, I'm thinking about how I would handle almost every ball that comes to the flippers, or when I think they should nudge. It becomes painful watching people make obvious mistakes, like a wild flip when they should catch it or take a bounce pass. Like watching Steve Ritchie, he's pretty good but I often think, c'mon play better!

I think Bowen was asked one time what he thought was more important, ball control or aim, and he said aim. That's still my weak spot. Need more practice.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spidey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-work-on-your-skills-or-just-play?tu=spidey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.