(Topic ID: 198717)

Do You Work On Your Skills Or Just Play?

By Chisox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MrFancy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Grecian Urn Pose (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I ask this as the worlds most average pinball player, do you guys (specifically youz guyz that are good) start a game and say "I'm going to specifically work on my catching, post passing, dead flip, etc" ...or do you just plunge and play? I've done this in the past and have seen my skills improve but get bored and feel that my limited time I have to play should be spent just enjoying the game(s). Just wondering because it's pretty sweet watching some guys on here playing on Youtube and thinking "how did they got so damn good?".

#2 6 years ago

Both. I love to just play and whack at the ball. But I’m often trying to work on a particular skill. I do often have to remind myself to not just flip at every ball that comes :/)

Marc

#3 6 years ago

Both for sure. Sometimes I find myself not trying very hard because I'm not dropping quarters in but I try to get better as I play for sure.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Both for sure. Sometimes I find myself not trying very hard because I'm not dropping quarters in but I try to get better as I play for sure.

It's so funny because I grew up in the 70s/80s where a quarter was a big deal and draining ball 3 or 5 on older games was absolutely tragic. God I feel old after reading that sentence.

#5 6 years ago

I personally just play. Maybe that's why I suck still, but at least I'm enjoying the ride. I'm sure if points and stuff were my concern my games would be completely different. I think some of the magic would be lost if that was the case though.

#6 6 years ago

I work on skills. Like working on a more fancy way to drop a coin in the chute or improving that little pirouette I do before hitting the start button.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I personally just play. Maybe that's why I suck still, but at least I'm enjoying the ride. I'm sure if points and stuff were my concern my games would be completely different. I think some of the magic would be lost if that was the case though.

The main goal is to have fun for sure. I work on my flipper skills more than I do my scores. More often than not I try to complete modes instead of trying to score big points.

#8 6 years ago

Play. And I keep making the same mistakes (but, frankly, I don't care because I'm having fun!)...

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I work on skills. Like working on a more fancy way to drop a coin in the chute or improving that little pirouette I do before hitting the start button.

I'll admit, my pirouette could use some work. It's an essential skill to have, that's for sure.

#10 6 years ago

Main way to get better is play a ton. I mean a ton. You'll see the results. I will work on specific skills too. One day all I did was tap pass. For like 3 hours I just tried to tap pass back and forth on my games.

I remember when I finally decided I was going to learn drop catches. I played for hours just drop catching every single ball that came to the flippers to learn the timing and how different paths of the ball would change the drop catch results.

#11 6 years ago

I work on getting as much beer in as I can by ball 3. Usually by the third game I'm good to go.

#12 6 years ago

I suggest just plunging the ball and watching its path until it drains with your hands off the flipper buttons. Just focus on the path and angles the ball takes.

#13 6 years ago

I have no skill, so I just punch the buttons and hope...

#14 6 years ago

I think about practicing something, try it a few times, then forget I was trying and just go back to playing. I enjoy playing so much more than practicing but know I should practice. Funny.. seem to have that same problem with most hobbies of mine and I've mastered exactly none.

#15 6 years ago

Hmmm. I have no skills and I play like crap! What the hell am I actually doing? I follow more of a spray and pray method of pinball. I do however get a decent workout dancing around as if I was actually in control of that round metal thing.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I prefer a 'Grecian Urn' pose . O-din you come up with some hilarious shit !!!!!

Grecian Urn Pose (resized).jpgGrecian Urn Pose (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

My skill set is pretty much complete (apart from loop passes which I am terrible at). What I do like to practice though are game specific skills. For example when I owned my Addams it had quite a lively Chair kickout so I practiced drop catching and then immediately shooting the Bear ramp. Similar thing on CSI from the scoop kickout.
    So while not practising skills I will constantly look at ways of taming the ball using my skills for a particular game.

#18 6 years ago

wwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaatttttttttrr??????? I only play pinball to kill time, while I'm getting high.

#19 6 years ago

What are skills?

#20 6 years ago

For many years after I first got into the hobby i didn't work on skills because I didn't know what they were. Then YouTube comes along and I see Bowen Kerrins showing how it's supposed to be done. I was amazed at how he could catch the ball and get it under control. So I set out to learn to do it like he did. At first I couldn't do live catches at all, but I kept practicing. Eventually it clicked and became easy. Now when I watch videos of someone playing pinball, I'm thinking about how I would handle almost every ball that comes to the flippers, or when I think they should nudge. It becomes painful watching people make obvious mistakes, like a wild flip when they should catch it or take a bounce pass. Like watching Steve Ritchie, he's pretty good but I often think, c'mon play better!

I think Bowen was asked one time what he thought was more important, ball control or aim, and he said aim. That's still my weak spot. Need more practice.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I think about practicing something, try it a few times, then forget I was trying and just go back to playing. I enjoy playing so much more than practicing but know I should practice. Funny.. seem to have that same problem with most hobbies of mine and I've mastered exactly none.

Lol. You should hear me play guitar. Same exact thing, I practice for 10 minutes then just crank it to 11 and play power chords like Johnny Ramone. Except I'm no Johnny Ramone.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I suggest just plunging the ball and watching its path until it drains with your hands off the flipper buttons. Just focus on the path and angles the ball takes.

I usually do this unintentionally. Glad to know I can just say that I'm "practicing".

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Except I'm no Johnny Ramone.

I'd hope not. He's dead.

#24 6 years ago

Just play. I probably have time to play one or two games a day... so even if i wanted to get better, i just don't play enough

#25 6 years ago

I for the most part just play let it flow, mainly just try to remember modes and what to shoot for.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'd hope not. He's dead.

Hah! Nothing gets past you Boob. Actually it's not good to be any Ramone for that matter, they're all dead.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Hah! Nothing gets past you Boob. Actually it's not good to be any Ramone for that matter, they're all dead.

Tell that to Marky. Rumors of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

#28 6 years ago

I just play, since I don't have any skills.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Lol. You should hear me play guitar. Same exact thing, I practice for 10 minutes then just crank it to 11 and play power chords like Johnny Ramone. Except I'm no Johnny Ramone.

Hahaha I know exactly how that goes-- played quite a lot of guitar, jamming out. Now it's back to piano - but I hate reading music so I just jam/improv with what I know rather than actually learning new skills. Practicing is hard work and little fun Wish I loved it though

#30 6 years ago

Since my collection grew from 1 EM to 1 EM and one NIB CGC, I've been trying to figure out how to practice. I have also discovered that pinball and beer is just plain fun, and the more beer is involved, the more fun I have, and the less I care about how well I am playing.

#31 6 years ago

I stream Pinball (via Pinball Arcade), so I KINDA do both, if that makes any sense at all.....

#32 6 years ago

I work on trying to control the ball and play for about an hour. After that, I get some combination of bored, tired, or drunk and just fire away. In league play, I'm a really tough matchup at the beginning and a pushover by the end of the night.

#33 6 years ago

at home i practice, on location not as much, i just try to execute the correct shot/maneuver

I have my games set up really hard at home and then playing on location/tournaments the games feel really forgiving.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

I work on trying to control the ball and play for about an hour. After that, I get some combination of bored, tired, or drunk and just fire away. In league play, I'm a really tough matchup at the beginning and a pushover by the end of the night.

Ditto! Ha!

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

at home i practice, on location not as much, i just try to execute the correct shot/maneuver
    I have my games set up really hard at home and then playing on location/tournaments the games feel really forgiving.

Agree. I can't remember the last time EBs we're turned on at my house or that looking at the machine wouldn't tilt it. Haha

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Agree. I can't remember the last time EBs we're turned on at my house or that looking at the machine wouldn't tilt it. Haha

haha, the Colorado Pinball Collective came and streamed my TX Sector and they were giving me all sorts of shit for the tilt setting on it haha.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

haha, the Colorado Pinball Collective came and streamed my TX Sector and they were giving me all sorts of shit for the tilt setting on it haha.

Sounds like they'd hate my big game or firepower. Haha

#38 6 years ago

Both. But it's a lot cheaper to practice skills once I had pins of my own (or on someone else's collection). Or it's nice if you have an entrance fee / free play location nearby.

If you're looking for something to practice, focus on one skill at a time. But reward yourself after some practice time by actually playing the game for fun, and trying out the new skill in a game. And the next time you play, practice that same skill, but on a different pin (before moving onto the next skill).

Most valuable flipper skills to learn (in order of importance, IMHO):
    0) aiming, and making adjustments when you miss
    1) dead bounce
    2) post transfer
    3) ski jump
    4) drop catch
    5) live catch
    6) death save
    7) shatz (alley pass)
    8) tap pass
    9) tip pass
    10) loop pass
    11) post catch

#39 6 years ago

I think it would be safe to say that those that remove tilt bobs from their machines have no skills and zero chance of developing any.

#40 6 years ago

No Skill...No practice, I just flail around like a fish out of water, and smile all the way!

#41 6 years ago

Learn,learn,learn. You need to play all different games to learn rulesets,.but just play whatever pin you have; you need to woodshed. . My sister wants to get better if this is to happen to you and than you have to search

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Learn,learn,learn. You need to play all different games to learn rulesets,.but just play whatever pin you have; you need to woodshed. . My sister wants to get better if this is to happen to you and than you have to search

So true. So true. I will have to work on this.

#43 6 years ago

Pay attention during the normal course of play and let yourself attempt the skills you'd like to practice at the appropriate time. Take advantage of machines where the skill is motivated. Tap pass on Paragon, Harlem Globetrotters, kings of steel. Drop catch working on MM castle gate. Super skill-shot with ballsaver, let it come around and loop pass (my MET opener). Bounce pass and drop catch are the biggest fundamentals in my opinion. Go nuts at every opportunity. Typically can't hurt.

#44 6 years ago

Woodshed?

#45 6 years ago

I like this topic so far. No one posting negative comments about how worthless people are that don't practice their pinball skills. There needs to be balance between just batting the ball around and practicing pinball skills. You have to play a lot to become really good and natural talent doesn't hurt either. I am what I call a "zone" player. When I go into a playing session without an agenda, just let the game "happen", I play way better. Last night for example I was playing MMr. I was one castle away from BFTK. When I realized how close I was to the final battle and tried to slow things down and be deliberate, I choked.
    Bottom line is to have fun, play a lot and you will become better at it.

#46 6 years ago

Concentration and repetition is the only way your brain wiring will mold itself into new, improved skill.

Even now I will still sometimes attempt a slap save when the angle is tricky and hit the wrong flipper first. But it's improving!

11 months later
    #47 5 years ago

I think what's more important than practicing or not practicing is how you approach playing outside of competition. The more disciplined you are about it, the more you'll improve. How disciplined you should be is really a matter of your personal taste and what you want to get out of pinball.

Personally, I'm very disciplined about always playing in focused way. I try to control the ball at every opportunity, be strategic about what I'm shooting at and refine my strategy as I get better at different shots, and always learn from my mistakes. I die a little inside with every single ball that I lose. It's pretty intense, one time I was concentrating so hard that I squeezed the cabinet until the playfield glass exploded (just kidding). It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I do think playing that way has helped me improve a lot in a short period of time.

What I'm not disciplined about is putting in the time to learn lots of different games. I like to mostly play games that I know pretty well, and learn a new one once in a while. I'd be a better competitive player if I made an effort to learn more games, but I just don't want to, pinball would be less fun for me if I did. The exception is when there's a game that I really hate, and I get burned by it in competition. Then I'll put in some effort to learn it a little bit, and I love it when I can a good result on a game that used to kill me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-work-on-your-skills-or-just-play?hl=archon9000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.