Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bab from Michigan- cleaning cabinet 008.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have a flight 2000 that I'm going to clean. What do you use to clean it and do you wax it when it's done?

Thanks

Bob

#2 10 years ago

I never have but if the finish is good on it I would think it would shine it up. If you have big chunks taken out on it I would think it would just build up and gum up in there.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I have a flight 2000 that I'm going to clean. What do you use to clean it and do you wax it when it's done?
Thanks
Bob

I had an old timer recommend Scrubbing Bubbles some time ago for cabinet cleaning. Works fantastic. I don't use it on the outside of decal'd or screen printed, but pained cabs absolutely. Removes a lot of crap easy. For protection and shine you could use a wax, but as Pauz21 said if the surface is rough it'll just gum up. A clear spray on wax might be a reasonable alternative. I've used carnauba on a couple of smooth cabs with great results, but it's probably overkill.

#4 10 years ago

I have used carnuba wax for all my pins, and have not experienced any problems. It definitely helps restore on screen printed or painted cabinets.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I had an old timer recommend Scrubbing Bubbles some time ago for cabinet cleaning. Works fantastic. I don't use it on the outside of decal'd or screen printed, but pained cabs absolutely. Removes a lot of crap easy. For protection and shine you could use a wax, but as Pauz21 said if the surface is rough it'll just gum up. A clear spray on wax might be a reasonable alternative. I've used carnauba on a couple of smooth cabs with great results, but it's probably overkill.

pinster, any specific guidance on using the scrubbing bubbles? or just follow the directions on the can?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

pinster, any specific guidance on using the scrubbing bubbles? or just follow the directions on the can?

Spray, wait, wipe off. In cabinet bases where the surface could be rough (or to get it out of corners) I've used a shop vac then a finish wipe.

SB also works excellent on metal/plastic ramps. I put them in my wash basin, spray with SB, wait 3-4 minutes then rinse with warm water. It really cuts the scrubbing time down.

As always use with caution on any questionable artwork, etc.. You never know. Start small, experiment, then use your best judgement.

The SB advice came from a fellow Jerseyite and RGP old timer. Let's just call him Ron S. to keep anonymity. Other old timers will likely know who I'm referring to.

Regards,

Brian

#7 10 years ago

Yep, only on the really nice ones though, I did wax my WPT before I sold it to make it nice and shiny as the cabinet artwork was in really good condition.
Also waxed my TZ a few days after I bought it. Give's it a really nice shine.

#8 10 years ago

@pinster.... thanks dude...

#9 10 years ago

I may have to try this on location machines. Do kids that are hovering around and on the machine fall off if you use enough wax? I feel like I need a kid repellent to keep them off the game when I am trying to play.

#10 10 years ago

I used this product on Gottlieb em cabinets only so I don't know about newer cabinets.

I found out about this stuff on a few old rgp thread threads I searched. It's called Super Clean and I was told it's made by Castrol. You can get it in an automotive parts store - just ask. After trying Mean Green and a few other similar products this stuff took even more grime off and didn't harm the finish. Always try a new product on an inconspicuous spot 1st.

As far as waxing goes, I would think if your pins were in a building with poor hvac conditions such as higher humidity (which could cause light mold to form), reduced air flow, etc., then it would be more important.

bab from Michigan- cleaning cabinet 008.jpgbab from Michigan- cleaning cabinet 008.jpg

#11 10 years ago

^^^

hoov, did you spray it right on the cabinet and let it sit? or on the towel?

#12 10 years ago

I wear rubber medical gloves and spray it directly on the top of the area you're cleaning and let it run down - rub it around so everything is coated and after it sits for 20 - 30 seconds I wipe it off. It works great.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I wear rubber medical gloves and spray it directly on the top of the area you're cleaning and let it run down - rub it around so everything is coated and after it sits for 20 - 30 seconds I wipe it off. It works great.

cool... thanks...

#14 10 years ago

I waxed my Bride of Pinbot with a hand buffer and carnauba car wax. It put a nice shine on it, however I will let you know my buffer pad afterwards was purple so it does have a small risk of pulling off the paint on decals. I am not sure about older cabinets though.

#15 10 years ago

Thanks everyone.

I think I might try the Scrubbing Bubbles and Carnauba wax. But I'll test it first on the back side. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Again - thank you.

Bob

#16 10 years ago

Yup a nice coat of wax won't hurt anything .

#17 10 years ago

yes. look at my avatar.

#18 10 years ago

I like them waxed, glass too because dust wipes away so much easier. damp cloth dry cloth to the glass instead of windex for a quite a while too when the glass has been waxed, same for cab sides.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

I like them waxed, glass too because dust wipes away so much easier. damp cloth dry cloth to the glass instead of windex for a quite a while too when the glass has been waxed, same for cab sides.

you wax your pf glass?

#20 10 years ago

Do you use Rain X? Eye glass wax?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 125.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-wax-the-outside-of-your-cabinet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.