(Topic ID: 66145)

So you want to mouse around? Mousin' Around owners club. All welcome...

By tamoore

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,049 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 51 days ago by topkat
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FFF8763E-0D96-4F74-9C3C-37DFE2BF4228 (resized).jpeg
plunger.jpg
MA.JPG
Capture (resized).PNG
CB436ACF-5E0B-4841-870A-C8C59D4EEE9A (resized).jpeg
PG 78 transfer tray 3 switch pcb C-13061 2 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_5553437_0 (resized).png
PG 78 transfer tray 3 switch pcb C-13061 (resized).JPG
58E16FF3-614C-4A0D-B2B5-17AB3F0859C2 (resized).jpeg
A026541D-BA0B-4E4C-A4C3-461BDCA9C44E (resized).jpeg
8941BB46-4650-4A90-9643-54D865043F70 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230315_010558054 (resized).jpg
Mousin side cab (resized).JPG
mousin side (resized).JPG
PXL_20230120_235348851~3 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230120_235348851~2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ranhorton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#357 6 years ago

Just joined the club!
Giving this game the royal treatment.
Bought tons of new parts to do a Full topside and underside tear down/cleaning/refurbish all mechs and whatnot.
Also Full LEDs. Flipper Fidelity speakers.
Been wanting a mousin' around for over 5 years.
Will post before/after pics once complete.

Oh, side note- anyone selling a Mousin Around interconnect board. The one in the game is fried in a few spots. May fix it myself but would prefer to grab a lightly used or NOS board (reached out to Tony at Great Lakes Modular about his MA interconnect boards but no response).

3 weeks later
#360 6 years ago
Quoted from ptrav1:

Just joined the club. Anybody know if you can get the mouse trap letter stand up targets anywhere?

I recently bought lots of parts to fix up mine and I think Marco may have had them or Curly may have them at Little Shop of Games.

#362 6 years ago

Finished restoring my Mousin Around. Based on comments from the seller I believe this game was quite possibly HUO and never had a full tear down before.
Gave it the works. Full topside tear down, all mechs underneath rebuilt with new parts, upgraded flippers, new interconnect board, LEDs throughout and threw in a full set of flipper fidelity speakers.
Playfield in nice shape with day-1 Mylar that I brought back to a shine using a car headlight polishing kit (highly recommend trying it if you want to get Mylar shiny).
Game plays absolutely amazing and the speakers add quite a bit of oomph when the mouse catcher talks.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#363 6 years ago

IMG_0862 (resized).JPGIMG_0862 (resized).JPG

IMG_0865 (resized).JPGIMG_0865 (resized).JPG

#366 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Beautiful game Ran! I see your post rubber looks different than mine, but I can't see all of them. What do you have at all of the ramp entrances?

Thanks!
They are the same conical shaped post rubbers that the game came with but found blue ones from a vendor at Pinfest. When shopping a game I like to add post rubbers that match the color of the playfield section they are on to blend into the game better. Hence the blue rubbers at the ramp enterances. I couldn't find red conical rubbers which is why you'll also see yellow ones on some of the other posts.

Also I love that the conical rubber posts prevent the ball from bouncing off the playfiel. Super helpful in Mousin Around since it's a wickedly fast game.

#367 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

looks GREAT Randy!
miss you buddy... You should come back for Mad Rollin this year...

Thanks Hilton! This was a fun game to shop. And I will see what I can do about getting to MAd Rollin. This darn work/family thing always gets in the way of pinball fun

4 months later
#398 6 years ago

Finally got around to installing the metal-mods pop bumper decals on my mousin around. I opted to not use the circular metal decal around the outside of the pop caps since the leds I have in my pop bumpers are only in the middle.
Long story short, they look great and are easy to install. And they dampen the led intensity perfectly!

C3AF11B8-17AC-44A4-8AD7-D5B078BE317C (resized).jpegC3AF11B8-17AC-44A4-8AD7-D5B078BE317C (resized).jpeg

1 year later
#491 5 years ago

I removed my playfield when I was shopping it/changing bulbs. That’s the easiest way. Plus, that’s also a good time to clean the mechanical stuff back there. I guarantee there will be a bit of buildup.

#493 5 years ago
Quoted from Erwinver:

how do i remove the playing field, disconnect all the connectorsand then lift it from the brackets?

Correct. Label all the connectors going through the head into the cabinet. Then disconnect them.
Then I lifted mine straight up and out and gently leaned it up against my game and worked on all those hard to reach sections.
Oh, and lay a towel over the side of your cabinet before leaning the playfield against it just to prevent scratches to the side artwork.

3 months later
#521 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Guys, i need some help.
My Mousin Around is currently located in our city hospital and i have to fix it.
I went there but i have no pictures to see the part that i need to get. I have seen that the drop target were not moving properly and i have seen that the guide was broken, surely due to the success of this pinball in the hospital !
This is the plastic black piece that is fixed under the playfield and that guides the drop target carrier, in the center.
I'm not sure about the reference, would it be this one : https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-6278-00 ?
thanks a lot

Yes. Either that one or the one from Little Shop of Games. I think I got mine from Little shop of games when I replaced it but had to redrill the holes a tiny bit to fit properly.
https://littleshopofgames.com/product-category/parts-by-game/parts-by-game-bally-williams/parts-by-game-bally-williams-mousin-around/

#524 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

welcome to the club! Any play differences on the proto?

I’m curious as well. Does anything different happen when you head to the mouse hole? Ball locks up there since there are multiple switches?

1 year later
#610 4 years ago

I did a full topside tear down as well as removed/cleaned/updated all underside mechs. And LED’s everywhere except flashers.
Not a terribly difficult game to shop but getting to the back diverter mech is a pain.
Best to pull the playfield out to do that section. I have tons of pics from my teardown if you bump into any problems.
Good luck and enjoy!

#612 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Oh really? Darn. Are there some screws behind the mouse hole? I don't have a rotisserie or anything, so would I just pull the pf out and lean it against the side of the cabinet? Not a total noob when it comes to electronics, but definitely a noob when it comes to actually working, and not just playing, on pins.

Yup.
I disconnected all the wiring I could from the backbox boards and carefully lifted the playfield out then stod it on end next to my game to work on the mouse hole mechanics.
Wasn't too bad (or too heavy to pull out on my own) since I had already removed everything from the topside of the playfield.

2 months later
#655 3 years ago

Hey guys
Just replaced all the original capacitors on my power supply board.
Started the game and it powered up fine. Went to test TP4 and got 0 volts instead of -12V
Tested TP1 and got 10V instead of 5V.
Tested TP3 and got 26V instead of 12V.

New capacitors I put in:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W12246-PEC-KIT

Thoughts? Is this correct volt readings since some of the capacitors are larger values than the originals?

#658 3 years ago

So I’ve been working on my MA and realized I may have an extra ROM in my game that doesn’t need to be there.
Can anyone confirm if there are supposed to be 3 sound roms in the sound board?
Or do I need to move my rom in U20 to U21 on the CPU board.
This “extra rom” may explain why I do t get the “bong” sound at startup.

4A9B4604-F01B-47B3-BA49-8BA6C4A8D2B0 (resized).jpeg4A9B4604-F01B-47B3-BA49-8BA6C4A8D2B0 (resized).jpegD4204D0B-6693-4315-B29D-9030DB028FCC (resized).jpegD4204D0B-6693-4315-B29D-9030DB028FCC (resized).jpeg
#660 3 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

I think sometimes people use smaller roms that require 3 chips instead of 2.

Good to know! Thank you!

#663 3 years ago
Quoted from soren:

No no no. The explaination is that information on sound ROMs for MA is wrong in both the WMS Zip and the PinMAME Zip available.
I went through it with a fine comb and everything is layed out in post #627.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-want-to-mouse-around-mousin-around-owners-club-all-welcome/page/13#post-5549571
Not easy to explain. Unfortunetly. But have a look at it.
Bottom line. Your U20 ROM is redundant. Installed by mistake.

I will remove it and see how the game plays and get back to everyone. Thanks for this additional insight Soren!!!

#664 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I will remove it and see how the game plays and get back to everyone. Thanks for this additional insight Soren!!!

Pulled the chip.
Game still plays/sounds the same.
(Thanks Soren!)

But still no startup “bong” sound when I turn it on.

Wondering if the Flipper Fidelity speaker system I have installed is causing the game to not “bong” because it has its own amplifier (I believe) for the woofer.

BTW- Flipper Fidelity speakers in MA sound amazing and really brighten up the music and provide such better sound clarity.

#666 3 years ago
Quoted from soren:

The classic "bong" is a WPC thing. The system 11 games play a short snip of the sound track (plus operator message when so). So it is a game individual thing. And I will not rule out that some games omit this entirely.
On MA it is four notes.
The alternative speaker/amplifier installed might be the reason. At least it can be explained by an amplifier that is hold idle for a longer time (couple of seconds) at power on. Not saying that is the case here.

This is awesome info. Thank you again Soren!

#668 3 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Coincidently today I noticed that my Radical bongs. So I guess it was introduced late Sys11s.

My MA manual talks about the “bongs” so I’m guessing they should be there but since the game plays/sounds perfect I’ll assume the lack of a startup bong is because I have aftermarket speakers that have an amplified woofer.
Been tinkering with my MA the past few weeks of furlough and learning a ton about system 11 boards. Good stuff!

1 month later
#682 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Just picked up a Mousin today.
This one came with the “100” bumper caps
Anyone know where I can get the yellow ones without the mouse logo?
Can anyone recommend a good cleaner or method to clean the playfield and side art?
Thanks in advance

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8254-16

#686 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Were the “100” bumper caps on Mousin factory installed or just an after market replacement if the originals broke?

Aftermarket.

#694 3 years ago

Hahahaha. I literally just pulled the same link to send the OP.

Op- I recommend reading through this manual to get familiar with your game.
Has info about the bulbs, rubber parts, mechanicals and more.

#698 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

The flippers that came from the factory were the shorter or longer ones?

I recommend these.
I have them on mine.
The yellow "sliced cheese" look compliments the game as well.
Also recommend yellow flipper rubber.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9592-6

#700 3 years ago

With Mousin around I recommend using incandescent flashers. Not LEDs.
That’s what I did and I like the results.
However I did use LEDs on the GI and inserts.

1 month later
#736 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I used non-ghosting LED's though I suspect the flickering would be just as bad with regular LED's. I'm not a pinball expert by any means, but if I'm noticing the flickering, it must be pretty bad. My Diner has the same non-ghosting LED's installed and I really don't notice any flickering. It's possible the flickering is worse on certain System 11's than others.
I did some digging and found a great board that eliminates the flickering right out of the box (though it can be tweaked with software). I can't recommend this board enough.
http://www.ledocd.com/

I have the same board from Herg in my Mousin' Around.
It works flawlessly.

#747 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Hello! I just picked up a really really nice Mousin’ Around. Cabinet is bright with no fade and the playfield has virtually no wear. I’d never played it before I brought it home and, after half a dozen plays, I have to say I’m really impressed! Can’t wait to play it and learn the game more.
Quick question - Does anyone know if a replacement diverter is available for purchase anywhere? Mine works but it is a bit worn. I wouldn’t mind popping in a new one.
Thanks and I look forward to following the thread!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I disassembled and cleaned my diverter thoroughly when I bought my mousin’ and afterwards it has been flawless. There is a plastic “cog” that can get gummed up if someone put a lubricant on it. That could also be part of the problem but fixable after a good cleaning.

#758 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I have a small piece of Mylar on the left rerun lane that is peeling. It’s peeling enough where the ball gets stuck on it.
What is the recommended way to address this?
Thanks

I’ve never tried it but I hear you can sometimes reactivate the adhesiveness by using a hairdryer to heat it up.
I defer to others who have tried this to confirm if it works or not.

#760 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

First, no offense, I hate the hairdryer trick. Really only work if its not old. You can melt plastics unless your playfield is stripped.
Ive used contact cement on hanging corners of mylar, or a good 1 inch peel up. But the problem again is the old mylars.
These are most likely home games. I had to finally remove the left sling mylar. I dont see me playing 3000 games of mousin to do any damage with the light wax i keep on playfield.
You can also surgically remove all mylar flaps with an exacto knife too. Use cold spary to make it hard and cut away.

No offense taken whatsoever! Glad to know I should avoid the hairdryer “trick” should my Mousin Mylar start lifting!

6 months later
#838 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I'm in the club now, so you guys will be getting all 4 ramps remade this year. My test mule has 4 perfect ramps in it. Stay tuned!
[quoted image]

I love that the cat is sniffing your Mousin around in that pic!

4 months later
#869 2 years ago
Quoted from Enver:

I do not hear any bong, nor do I hear four notes on Mousin' Around (maybe they tried to mimick earlier 'Bally' machines being an early example of a Bally branded machine on System 11 ???). Other owners are telling me they don't hear a 'bong' either.

I don’t hear a startup bong on my Mousin either. And I am running the Soren code. It’s awesome!!

1 year later
#925 1 year ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

Question for Mousin Around owners. My game, which I'm in the process of shopping out, has a clear plastic star post of the top of the left sling and a metal post on the top of the right sling. Which is correct? Metal, plastic, or both?
Mike

Both.
Metal on top or right sling. Clear plastic star on top of left sling.

#926 1 year ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Both.
Metal on top or right sling. Clear plastic star on top of left sling.

Not the best pic but you get the picture.

20DF1567-5409-43FC-A436-B663785B62A6 (resized).jpeg20DF1567-5409-43FC-A436-B663785B62A6 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 23.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ranhorton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-want-to-mouse-around-mousin-around-owners-club-all-welcome?tu=ranhorton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.