(Topic ID: 66145)

So you want to mouse around? Mousin' Around owners club. All welcome...

By tamoore

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,049 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 52 days ago by topkat
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FFF8763E-0D96-4F74-9C3C-37DFE2BF4228 (resized).jpeg
plunger.jpg
MA.JPG
Capture (resized).PNG
CB436ACF-5E0B-4841-870A-C8C59D4EEE9A (resized).jpeg
PG 78 transfer tray 3 switch pcb C-13061 2 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_5553437_0 (resized).png
PG 78 transfer tray 3 switch pcb C-13061 (resized).JPG
58E16FF3-614C-4A0D-B2B5-17AB3F0859C2 (resized).jpeg
A026541D-BA0B-4E4C-A4C3-461BDCA9C44E (resized).jpeg
8941BB46-4650-4A90-9643-54D865043F70 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230315_010558054 (resized).jpg
Mousin side cab (resized).JPG
mousin side (resized).JPG
PXL_20230120_235348851~3 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230120_235348851~2 (resized).jpg
There are 1,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 21.
#701 3 years ago

The pop bumper skirt and body are white. I want to change them to yellow.

I looked at vid’s pop bumper rebuild guide.

Can I just unscrew the body and replace or is there no other way aside from cutting the wire leads, replace, resolder, etc...?

#702 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

The pop bumper skirt and body are white. I want to change them to yellow.
I looked at vid’s pop bumper rebuild guide.
Can I just unscrew the body and replace or is there no other way aside from cutting the wire leads, replace, resolder, etc...?

I don't know of any other way. It seems like a lot but once you've done it you'll realize it's not so bad.

#703 3 years ago

Today I’m cleaning the left plastic ramp.
I highly recommend Meguiar’s PlastX.

The bottom of the ramps has a blue framed plastic shield. Behind it on the right is an angled plastic piece. The left has some sort of odd metal bracket.

Can anyone confirm if the plastic ramp is supposed to be on just the right side and the left metal piece is normal?

Thanks

309695C2-0910-40E5-B8E9-039C51F5C019 (resized).jpeg309695C2-0910-40E5-B8E9-039C51F5C019 (resized).jpegBC595403-40A2-461C-9A5B-B7FE950C71D9 (resized).jpegBC595403-40A2-461C-9A5B-B7FE950C71D9 (resized).jpeg
#704 3 years ago

Mine has the plastic on both sides so I’m guessing that is normal. Also, regarding your question about the pop bumpers, I did mine and they do have to be unsoldered and re-soldered to do the job.

#705 3 years ago

Yeah, it seems crazy to have to take the whole damn thing apart to change the skirt, but that's what it takes. I did a pop on my Whirlwind a couple weeks ago, it wasn't real fun, but it wasn't terrible. I was lucky though because the bumper was midfield with nothing over it. I only took off as many parts as I needed to, and I actually used blue painters tape to keep as much of the under-playfield bits in place as I could.

I'd throw a towel down in the bottom of the cab if I were you. There are some tiny washers that can fall out from the bottom once you start unscrewing things, and they can get lost easy.

#706 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yeah, it seems crazy to have to take the whole damn thing apart to change the skirt, but that's what it takes. I did a pop on my Whirlwind a couple weeks ago, it wasn't real fun, but it wasn't terrible. I was lucky though because the bumper was midfield with nothing over it. I only took off as many parts as I needed to, and I actually used blue painters tape to keep as much of the under-playfield bits in place as I could.
I'd throw a towel down in the bottom of the cab if I were you. There are some tiny washers that can fall out from the bottom once you start unscrewing things, and they can get lost easy.

It seems like too much work just to change the skirt.

According to the manual, the bumper base and body were white, while the skirt was yellow. I’ll likely just change the bumper caps to yellow.

#707 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

It seems like too much work just to change the skirt.
According to the manual, the bumper base and body were white, while the skirt was yellow. I’ll likely just change the bumper caps to yellow.

Yeah, I don't blame you. The skirts were chipped to heck on my Mousin, but they still worked just fine, so I lived with them. Since my game was a beater, and since the ramps seemed like a pain to remove, it wasn't worth changing them for me.

#708 3 years ago

I took another look at the battery holder. It looks like one of the battery holder terminals is corroded, so looks like a replacement may be in order.

Would this replacement work?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RBH073

Would I have to solder the wires from the new unit to the board or can leave the black wires on the board alone and somehow solder the black wires to the new battery holder wires?

Thanks.

battery_holder2 (resized).JPGbattery_holder2 (resized).JPGboard (resized).JPGboard (resized).JPG
#709 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I took another look at the battery holder. It looks like one of the battery holder terminals is corroded, so looks like a replacement may be in order.
Would this replacement work?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RBH073
Would I have to solder the wires from the new unit to the board or can leave the black wires on the board alone and somehow solder the black wires to the new battery holder wires?
Thanks.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, the battery holder linked will work. You do not need to remove the connections from the board. Just cut that off at the old battery holder, and attach to the wire on the new holder (observing +/-). You'll probably end up with more wire length than you need, but it shouldn't be an issue.

#710 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Yes, the battery holder linked will work. You do not need to remove the connections from the board. Just cut that off at the old battery holder, and attach to the wire on the new holder (observing +/-). You'll probably end up with more wire length than you need, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Can I use quick disconnects on the wires instead of soldering?

Also, does the pictures of the board and battery holder indicate which direction the batteries should be installed on the existing holder.
I confirmed from the battery holder manufacturer that there are markings.

#711 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Can I use quick disconnects on the wires instead of soldering?

Yes you can.

Quoted from Cmjb13:

Also, does the pictures of the board and battery holder indicate which direction the batteries should be installed on the existing holder.
I confirmed from the battery holder manufacturer that there are markings.

I don't see any markings. But based on your picture, with the Positive and Negative, you can see how the batteries should be put in. The one on the far right (in the picture) should have the flat end of the battery pointing up. then alternate the orientation for the next one, and then again after that.

But if I were you, I'd replace that one so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

#712 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Yes you can.

I don't see any markings. But based on your picture, with the Positive and Negative, you can see how the batteries should be put in. The one on the far right (in the picture) should have the flat end of the battery pointing up. then alternate the orientation for the next one, and then again after that.
But if I were you, I'd replace that one so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Thanks for the information.

Am I correct in saying that I can power on the machine without the batteries installed, but I would have to set the settings for the machine each time and would lose the high scores?

#713 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Thanks for the information.
Am I correct in saying that I can power on the machine without the batteries installed, but I would have to set the settings for the machine each time and would lose the high scores?

Yes, that is correct. It will revert back to credit play, which means you'll have to insert coins, or trip the coin switch, to get credits in order to start the game. And all of the settings/scores will be erased each time.

#714 3 years ago

Am I correct in saying that Mousin uses 8 amps?

#715 3 years ago

Just got to replacing the lights.

The entire top backbox row top lights are out.
The 5 million top light was out, but a forceful wiggle got it working

I don’t see any broken traces on the top backbox row

Any ideas?

202D7862-1398-4509-8B0C-27922E12CAFA (resized).jpeg202D7862-1398-4509-8B0C-27922E12CAFA (resized).jpeg

#716 3 years ago

I have a couple screws missing. Can someone tell me the length/size of the screw as circled in yellow?

Thanks in advance

5535EF64-D524-45F5-A614-4CC6F2B27F09 (resized).jpeg5535EF64-D524-45F5-A614-4CC6F2B27F09 (resized).jpeg
#717 3 years ago

I was changing a playfield bulb and noticed this piece of metal jammed between the bulb and what I believe is the blue mouse trap frame

Does this piece belong here or anyone know it’s purpose?

93FAFF78-BFB4-4DC8-90DA-DCA509D7DD2C (resized).jpeg93FAFF78-BFB4-4DC8-90DA-DCA509D7DD2C (resized).jpeg

#718 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Just got to replacing the lights.
The entire top backbox row top lights are out.
The 5 million top light was out, but a forceful wiggle got it working
I don’t see any broken traces on the top backbox row
Any ideas?
[quoted image]

What are you wiggling? Burned up GI connectors and pins is extremely common on system 11 games. They usually need repinned and replaced.

#719 3 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

What are you wiggling? Burned up GI connectors and pins is extremely common on system 11 games. They usually need repinned and replaced.

The 5 million light was not lighting.
I wiggled the bulb while it was in the socket and it now lights. I had a similar issue with the Diner backbox

I traced the backbox wiring and I don’t see any burnt connections or loose wiring.

Is there a particular wire that controls just the top row of lights?

Could it possibly be a blown fuse?

#720 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

The 5 million light was not lighting.
I wiggled the bulb while it was in the socket and it now lights. I had a similar issue with the Diner backbox
I traced the backbox wiring and I don’t see any burnt connections or loose wiring.
Is there a particular wire that controls just the top row of lights?
Could it possibly be a blown fuse?

Not a fuse. If you had a blown fuse it would never work, along with several other things. Sounds like you have a dirty or corroded lamp holder, super common. Sometimes all it takes is wiggling the thing around, maybe you dislodged a bit of dirt or rust. This tool is handy, chuck it in a drill and clean all the sockets when you shop the game out.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=lamp+cleaning
If that doesn't work you can sometimes fix the socket by bridging the base and the tab with some solder, search lamp socket repair or something.
Lastly, you could just replace the lamp socket.

Good luck!

#721 3 years ago

I took another look tonight. The sockets were pretty clean. I noticed that the corner wire going to the top row was slightly off. A simple touch and it was totally separated.

A little bit of solder and the lights work!

186C437B-B541-4A7C-9B77-F0646D7C2DB8 (resized).jpeg186C437B-B541-4A7C-9B77-F0646D7C2DB8 (resized).jpeg3A8345B6-1BC9-4444-A5FC-FB060FF39991 (resized).jpeg3A8345B6-1BC9-4444-A5FC-FB060FF39991 (resized).jpeg
#722 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I took another look tonight. The sockets were pretty clean. I noticed that the corner wire going to the top row was slightly off. A simple touch and it was totally separated.
A little bit of solder and the lights work![quoted image][quoted image]

These type's of problems makes this hobby fun.
Rewarding to find the problems.

#723 3 years ago

Finally got a ramp thanks to @JodyG! I still need the metal parts though. If anyone has some, or even can make some new ones, *please* let me know!

IMG_20200710_153525 (resized).jpgIMG_20200710_153525 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20200710_153513 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20200710_153513 (resized).jpg

#724 3 years ago

So I received the yellow pop bumper caps, but they don't fit. They don't fit at all and even if they did, the screwholes don't match (They are too far inward.)
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8254-16

This is what was on the machine and does fit.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=a-3713-35

I'm thinking maybe it's possible the bumpers were replaced entirely at some point?

#725 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

So I received the yellow pop bumper caps, but they don't fit. They don't fit at all and even if they did, the screwholes don't match (They are too far inward.)
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8254-16
This is what was on the machine and does fit.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=a-3713-35
I'm thinking maybe it's possible the bumpers were replaced entirely at some point?

Must be, I have those exact clear yellow bumper caps on my game.

#726 3 years ago

Hi All, I have a new to me Mousin Around and its in pretty good shape and all there. Pretty rad theme really from what I can tell so far. All original except a few LEDs added from previous owner. I was chasing a few switch error issues today and the errors still show a "diverter malfunction" along w switch 49 error. On coil test the diverter fires fine, but during a game Im not sure what the proper sequence is for when it activates during a game. (what triggers the diverter , switch, combination of switches?). Mine currently rests against the back of the playfield (not diverting)...it doesnt seem to move during a game. Any obvious places to start investigating would be appreciated. Just learning this machine thanks.

#727 3 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

Hi All, I have a new to me Mousin Around and its in pretty good shape and all there. Pretty rad theme really from what I can tell so far. All original except a few LEDs added from previous owner. I was chasing a few switch error issues today and the errors still show a "diverter malfunction" along w switch 49 error. On coil test the diverter fires fine, but during a game Im not sure what the proper sequence is for when it activates during a game. (what triggers the diverter , switch, combination of switches?). Mine currently rests against the back of the playfield (not diverting)...it doesnt seem to move during a game. Any obvious places to start investigating would be appreciated. Just learning this machine thanks.

Can't speak to the wiring, but the mouse-hole diverter should be swung out and blocking the entrance to the mouse hole at the start of a game. That should be the normal default position. Then, once you collect all the "Cheese" letters, the diverter will open to allow access to the mouse hole. It will also open for jackpots and such during multi-ball.

#728 3 years ago

Thank you Dakota Mike!! That really helps me as a starting point. I’ll go back and check fuses and wiring.

#729 3 years ago

I’m reassembly the ramps after cleaning them. I have 2 of these brackets and I believe they go under the blue plastic square pieces near the flippers.

I’m not sure which one goes where and on which side.

Much appreciate any help

44B46243-460C-427A-AEAB-0713B6FAC219 (resized).jpeg44B46243-460C-427A-AEAB-0713B6FAC219 (resized).jpeg8071A339-AD23-4ADE-9654-076AAC0BDB8D (resized).jpeg8071A339-AD23-4ADE-9654-076AAC0BDB8D (resized).jpeg
#730 3 years ago

I keep forgetting to "officially" join the club -- time to remedy that!

5J5A4477 (resized).JPG5J5A4477 (resized).JPG 5J5A4478 (resized).JPG5J5A4478 (resized).JPG

Love the ramps on this game and I like cheese in general. . . . . . very happy to have it in the collection.

#731 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I keep forgetting to "officially" join the club -- time to remedy that!
[quoted image] [quoted image]
Love the ramps on this game and I like cheese in general. . . . . . very happy to have it in the collection.

Decals and Cab look very nice. I love the left orbit shot myself, feels great when you hit it and the mouse yells "geronimoooooo!". The Mouse Hole shot is pretty nice too.

#732 3 years ago

I noticed that after changing the playfield insert lights that they flicker badly.

I see there is an LED adapter kit, but is only compatible with machines made up to 1985?

Is there one made for Mousin that will work?

#733 3 years ago

Sadly leaving the club. I wish I had room (and $$) for all of them!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/99696

#734 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I noticed that after changing the playfield insert lights that they flicker badly.
I see there is an LED adapter kit, but is only compatible with machines made up to 1985?
Is there one made for Mousin that will work?

I guess you need non-ghosting LEDs?

1 week later
#735 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I guess you need non-ghosting LEDs?

I used non-ghosting LED's though I suspect the flickering would be just as bad with regular LED's. I'm not a pinball expert by any means, but if I'm noticing the flickering, it must be pretty bad. My Diner has the same non-ghosting LED's installed and I really don't notice any flickering. It's possible the flickering is worse on certain System 11's than others.

I did some digging and found a great board that eliminates the flickering right out of the box (though it can be tweaked with software). I can't recommend this board enough.

http://www.ledocd.com/

#736 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I used non-ghosting LED's though I suspect the flickering would be just as bad with regular LED's. I'm not a pinball expert by any means, but if I'm noticing the flickering, it must be pretty bad. My Diner has the same non-ghosting LED's installed and I really don't notice any flickering. It's possible the flickering is worse on certain System 11's than others.
I did some digging and found a great board that eliminates the flickering right out of the box (though it can be tweaked with software). I can't recommend this board enough.
http://www.ledocd.com/

I have the same board from Herg in my Mousin' Around.
It works flawlessly.

#737 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I’m reassembly the ramps after cleaning them. I have 2 of these brackets and I believe they go under the blue plastic square pieces near the flippers.
I’m not sure which one goes where and on which side.
Much appreciate any help

One of those goes on the end of each inlane ramp such that it rests against the post on the slingshot:

IMG_20200722_110918 (resized).jpgIMG_20200722_110918 (resized).jpg
#738 3 years ago

Does anybody have any pictures of the center ramp switch bracket and the metal vertical ramp at the entrance? With measurements, maybe? I'm starting to think that I'm just going to have to make my own if I ever want to get my game fully operational.

#739 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

One of those goes on the end of each inlane ramp such that it rests against the post on the slingshot:[quoted image]

Much obliged

#740 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Does anybody have any pictures of the center ramp switch bracket and the metal vertical ramp at the entrance? With measurements, maybe? I'm starting to think that I'm just going to have to make my own if I ever want to get my game fully operational.

Maybe this will help:

Quoted from Sonic:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/43#post-5772230
We've added to our lineup up MRS for ramps! Alongside the universal ramp MRS and the custom IJ ramp MRS shown above - click the link above to see the latest custom ramp MRS for Taxi!! You'll see it's a similar solution to IJ. Now available as a set for $50 plus shipping.
Matt & Dan
M&M Creations

#741 3 years ago

What are the common settings for Mousin Around in tournaments? I assume no extra balls, what else?

I'd like to set up my game a little more challenging so as not to cheat myself with home settings that are sometimes too liberal.

#742 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

What are the common settings for Mousin Around in tournaments? I assume no extra balls, what else?
I'd like to set up my game a little more challenging so as not to cheat myself with home settings that are sometimes too liberal.

I think there is an unofficial tournament ROM floating around.

#743 3 years ago

There are roms that remove the center ramp exploit. I just set mine to Hard and that keeps my scores down. You could set the Kick Back (off at the start of every ball) and Center Ramp (Up when locked and at the start of every ball with no target memeory) to Extra Hard to further your experience.
Settings (resized).pngSettings (resized).png

#744 3 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of under the apron and of the inlane guide/plastic setup? Picked up a mousin as a working project but missing few parts. Just want to make sure I order the correct parts and install correctly.

15962548091107330448085860482334 (resized).jpg15962548091107330448085860482334 (resized).jpgIMG_20200729_204419655 (resized).jpgIMG_20200729_204419655 (resized).jpg
#745 3 years ago

NOW SOLD - off to CA, USA

I sell the repro and modded versions of the ball eater brackets but do have 1 x NOS Ball Eater Assembly with the screws for $150AUD + postage

send a pm if interested

have some other rare things on my thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/latest-pinball-parts-mods-and-shirts-by-swinks/page/2#post-5775058

IMG_4069 (resized).JPGIMG_4069 (resized).JPGIMG_4070 (resized).JPGIMG_4070 (resized).JPG

#746 3 years ago

Hello! I just picked up a really really nice Mousin’ Around. Cabinet is bright with no fade and the playfield has virtually no wear. I’d never played it before I brought it home and, after half a dozen plays, I have to say I’m really impressed! Can’t wait to play it and learn the game more.

Quick question - Does anyone know if a replacement diverter is available for purchase anywhere? Mine works but it is a bit worn. I wouldn’t mind popping in a new one.

Thanks and I look forward to following the thread!

43F49B2C-D7BB-49B3-B2D1-CE2EC0F648C1 (resized).jpeg43F49B2C-D7BB-49B3-B2D1-CE2EC0F648C1 (resized).jpeg525918EF-B161-4AD6-8F37-6EBB3C99AB19 (resized).jpeg525918EF-B161-4AD6-8F37-6EBB3C99AB19 (resized).jpeg
#747 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Hello! I just picked up a really really nice Mousin’ Around. Cabinet is bright with no fade and the playfield has virtually no wear. I’d never played it before I brought it home and, after half a dozen plays, I have to say I’m really impressed! Can’t wait to play it and learn the game more.
Quick question - Does anyone know if a replacement diverter is available for purchase anywhere? Mine works but it is a bit worn. I wouldn’t mind popping in a new one.
Thanks and I look forward to following the thread!

I disassembled and cleaned my diverter thoroughly when I bought my mousin’ and afterwards it has been flawless. There is a plastic “cog” that can get gummed up if someone put a lubricant on it. That could also be part of the problem but fixable after a good cleaning.

#748 3 years ago

The shooter rod feels weaker than my Diner. Just feels like it doesn’t have much power

Would I need just a spring replacement to make it stronger?

#749 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

The shooter rod feels weaker than my Diner. Just feels like it doesn’t have much power
Would I need just a spring replacement to make it stronger?

Yeah, it's mechanical so probably needs to be taken apart, cleaned, and springs replaced. PBResource has shooter asm parts for sale.

#750 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I sell the repro and modded versions of the ball eater brackets but do have 1 x NOS Ball Eater Assembly with the screws for $150AUD + postage
send a pm if interested
have some other rare things on my thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/latest-pinball-parts-mods-and-shirts-by-swinks/page/2#post-5775058

PM Sent!

Still looking for a Swoosh ramp Ball gate with the cheese sticker on it on the upper right ramp. Got a Spare?? Please Pm me.
Thanks
Eric

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 23.95
3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

There are 1,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-want-to-mouse-around-mousin-around-owners-club-all-welcome/page/15?hl=cmjb13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.