(Topic ID: 52019)

Do You Want To Know More? SST Owners club; Past, Present and Future.

By tamoore

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 585 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 74 days ago by broher
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 135 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-05 at 17.41.35 (resized).jpeg
20181209_174520 (resized).jpg
20181209_174550 (resized).jpg
20181209_174325 (resized).jpg
20181209_174529 (resized).jpg
20181107_183433 (resized).jpg
20181107_182341 (resized).jpg
20181017_141308 (resized).jpg
20181017_141252 (resized).jpg
20180813_011653 (resized).jpg
SST Color DMD (resized).jpg
SSTDriver (resized).jpg
images-1 (resized).jpeg
Backbox1 (resized).jpg
Backbox2 (resized).jpg
Backbox3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scorch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#547 10 months ago

I'll be joining the club tomorrow.

Just went and saw a pristine SST that must be HUO. Even has the unopened bag of goodies... couldn't find a single scratch or scuff on the cabinet. Needs LED's, probably some new rubber, and a clean and wax. Also, in the test, the red flashers weren't working... hope it's just the bulbs, but if not I may be asking for some help troubleshooting.

Picking it up for $2000 which I think is a pretty good deal these days. Current owner had no idea you could go in and change the settings, didn't know how to remove the glass or even that the backbox opened. He had it in his gameroom for the last 11 years and is downsizing.

Can't wait to get this baby home... I love the movie... Love how cheesy it is and the special effects set a new standard when the movie first came out.

#549 10 months ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

So it has had the same batteries in it for over 10 years? Hope there is not leakage or alkaline damage.

Yup.... when I went to check it, he couldn't find the key to the backbox, but has it now. I'll definitely be checking for damage before the deal is sealed...my guess is that it hasn't burst since it is still keeping the settings, and the game seems to be fully working.

#552 10 months ago

I'm in!

Picked it up this afternoon.

batteries were dead, but fine. Also noticed that the cabinet woofer was torn (didn't notice that until I had the cabinet up on it's back), so looks like I'm going to have to replace the speakers.

Red flashers are also not working, and while I don't have any 906 bulbs yet, I think the circuit is out. any suggestions on where to start with diagnosing this?

Also.... how difficult is it to replace the GI with LEDs? looks like I'll have to do a full tear down?

#556 10 months ago

ya... I figured it was a bad transistor (one is out on another of my pins).

I think I'm going to need a lesson in soldering circuit boards. I'll have to find some old ones to practice on and then take the plunge (how hard can it be right?)

#557 10 months ago

Also I've got a load of white LED's coming from AliExpress (both GI and inserts). They should be here in 10 days or so.

Probably won't change out the flashers for LED as I think they're pretty good right now.

#559 10 months ago

Thanks...

I did watch some youtube and it doesn't look too difficult.... slow and steady

#560 10 months ago

got the new speakers in. definitely an improvement. Can understand everything they are saying now... also even though the two backbox are full range, the screeches are definitely less piercing than before.

1 week later
#561 9 months ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

As for your red flashers most likely a bad transistor. Q25 is the transistor for RED.

Did my first soldering job on a board, and it turned out pretty damn good!

Fixed the problem of the red flashers... but now the bank of 4 flashers on the right side of the pin are only working intermittently (the problem started before I did the repair). I read somewhere that this is sometimes caused by not enough voltage getting to that last bank. I'm waiting on some LED bulbs to go in that bank, so hopefully that will help. I already re-seated all the lamp connections, and that didn't help at all, and all the connectors looked fine.

#563 9 months ago
Quoted from Scorch:

Did my first soldering job on a board, and it turned out pretty damn good!
Fixed the problem of the red flashers... but now the bank of 4 flashers on the right side of the pin are only working intermittently (the problem started before I did the repair). I read somewhere that this is sometimes caused by not enough voltage getting to that last bank. I'm waiting on some LED bulbs to go in that bank, so hopefully that will help. I already re-seated all the lamp connections, and that didn't help at all, and all the connectors looked fine.

Just to complete.... I replaced the flashers with LEDs and the right bank flashers now work. And yes.... it is insane with led flashers. I wonder if I can cover some of the SMDs ... maybe a little electrical tape?

#567 9 months ago
Quoted from brianmcculloh:

I have fully swapped LEDs on mine all except the flashers. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't. What about using just standard frosted LEDs instead of LED flashers? Is that wrong to do?

Try it out and see if you like it...

Here are some cheap 12v flasher bulbs on amazon that I used which work very well

amazon.com link » only $0.35/bulb.

You do not need colored LED's in my opinion if you use a cool white bulb... only difference you will probably see is that when they flash, you do see some white light below the flasher that leaks on to the playfield. They also offer some smaller frosted bulbs that look like they have 2 smd's for about $0.80 each,

amazon.com link »

I haven't tested them so no idea how good they are, however, they look identical to the ones Comet sells for $2.29 each (http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/opmax12v.htm)

Note.... brain bug and other flashers are 6V, so these are only good for the 4 banks of colored beacons.

2 weeks later
#576 9 months ago
Quoted from DrkUno:

Thanks!
I pulled up the playing field and it looks like I have only 1 very lose screw holding the Brain Bug in place. I tightened it up for now, but going to have to find some replacement screws for the other 3 holes. I am guessing that they are the item 36 in the manual #6-32 X 1/2 PPH MS?

Bring your remaining screw to Home Depot/Lowe’s and ask someone... They’ll get you the right screws.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Blainville, QC
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scorch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside