(Topic ID: 52019)

Do You Want To Know More? SST Owners club; Past, Present and Future.

By tamoore

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20231006_022955822.jpg
1 (resized).jpg
20230413_173314 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
5C6A0A5F-B206-4427-9993-0B4FA7F572B2 (resized).jpeg
00F845F0-301A-4F9A-B504-FE93FC751FCD (resized).jpeg
6BBA3CFA-EEF7-4777-A58E-2DC7291A551A (resized).jpeg
IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
IMG_2516 (resized).JPG
1672430856184 (resized).jpg
1672430856162 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221230_193832467.jpg
PXL_20221230_193852600.jpg
IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
IMG_2509 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattosborn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#171 10 years ago

I picked up a SST a couple months ago, and I'm really enjoying it! Lots of fun for the novice player and plenty of challenge for the skilled player. Just the kind of game I like to have in my gameroom.

Anyway, while I was fixing up the game, I decided to make a few enhancements as well. Some have been covered here and in other threads (like adding the the second speaker). One thing I hadn't seen done before that I thought would look cool was if the 7-segment LED digits on the playfield were the same color as their corresponding bug/target (instead of all red). Unfortunately, you can't get blue digits that use the same pinout as what the original board uses, so it takes a bit of work.... Here's what the proto looks like:

SST_4-color_LEDs.jpgSST_4-color_LEDs.jpg

Please excuse the crappy cell-phone pic... it looks considerably better in person.
So I was considering having some 4-color display boards fabricated that would be a simple drop-in replacement for the original board. Any interest?

#175 10 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

Im trying to build a new 7seg board from the schematics in the manual. I've found a blue led but it was expensive and from what I remember, needed more voltage than what was being output to the board.
my board has a cold solder joint that makes one of the lines go out... next thing I know I'm messing in Eagle.
I do find it strange as each colour requires different transistors, and this is multiplexed so same transistor is used on all 4 segments..
so how did you do 3 different colours on the same multiplexed lines?

Sounds like you chose the wrong type of display.... There are no issues driving different color digits.

The new boards are already designed. It's just a matter of how many to run, that's why I wanted to get a feeler for demand. If nobody is interested in buying one, then I won't bother to make any (I'm perfectly happy with what I've got in my game right now).

6 months later
#200 9 years ago

Starship Troopers trilogy on Blu-ray for $13.50:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0018CWW96

#204 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Here's some pics, finished with the lights and I took off the 2 ships and canons, looks a lot better to me you can really see the upper playfield and it cuts a little of the cheese factor although that's what SST is kinda all about. Might do some custom painting and then put them back but for now I'm liking it like this. Has anyone put a red DMD filter on theirs? I think I'm going to order a Stern one from pinbits and make it fit with a little modification.

Yes, I put a red filter on my DMD, and it looks great that way.
I don't get removing the ships and cannons... they're really not in the way....
Did you change the flasher domes, or did you get the game that way? You really need to get yellow and green ones back in there. Each bank should have blue, yellow, green and red, corresponding to the bug types.

#206 9 years ago

But the colored flashers are coordinated with gameplay action as well.... For example, when it's announcing how many Warriors you need for the planet it is flashing the yellow domes.

5 months later
#232 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Also, their Advance Planet light is blue! Mine's white. Which is it?!

Blue is correct. You can see it in the flyer.

6 months later
#270 8 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Marco sells a kit with all of the missing board components that are needed to add the 2nd audio channel. Though I have heard that the only sounds that use stereo are non-game specific sounds.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5136-SK

Yes, the game sounds are all mono, so adding the other audio amp doesn't do much for you. You get pretty much the same effect just by adding the second speaker onto the existing single audio amp (which I do suggest you do). I replaced the single speaker with a pair of decent speakers that I could hook up in parallel. Sounds a lot better.

#272 8 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

How do you deal with the difference in ohms that is created by adding the second speaker?

I don't recall what is in there, but here are some examples of how you would create the same load on the amp:
If the original speaker was 4 Ohm, use two 8 Ohm speakers in parallel.
If the original speaker was 8 Ohm, use two 4 Ohm speakers in series (or two 16 Ohm in parallel, but 16 Ohm speakers are far less common).

It is also safe to increase the impedance of the load, but at the expense of volume (which is usually not an issue). Decreasing the impedance of the load is where you can get into trouble and cook the amp.... You need to check the specs on the amplifier to see if it can handle it.

4 months later
#299 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I thought they used a timer to cut back power to the coil after a few milliseconds.

Yes, this is a Sega/Stern Whitestar system. The EOS switches are not required. They are only there to re-energize the flipper if it is knocked back down while being held up (which is not really needed for that mini flipper).

1 week later
#320 8 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

.... One thing I hadn't seen done before that I thought would look cool was if the 7-segment LED digits on the playfield were the same color as their corresponding bug/target (instead of all red). Unfortunately, you can't get blue digits that use the same pinout as what the original board uses, so it takes a bit of work.... Here's what the proto looks like:
SST_4-color_LEDs.jpg
Please excuse the crappy cell-phone pic... it looks considerably better in person.
So I was considering having some 4-color display boards fabricated that would be a simple drop-in replacement for the original board. Any interest?

This project got delayed for quite a while, but it's back on track. A small run of replacement display boards with the four different colored LED digits has been made. I had a proto running in my game this weekend. Some component values need to be tweaked to get the intensities balanced, then they should be ready for assembly. These are not being made by me... I am just helping. I imagine he will post them for sale when they are ready. I will let him know the names of the people who expressed interest before so they can get first crack at buying one. The run is very limited, and I don't know if he will run them again.

#324 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I'm interested if I can swing it when the price is finalized. Any pricing estimates?

I'm not sure what he is going to ask for them yet. But the original boards are $70 ( http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5166-00 ), and these are better.

1 week later
#336 8 years ago
Quoted from refried:

Can you post photos of the multicolor led?

I don't have any pics of the new boards in action yet. Hopefully soon though.
There is a pic in this thread from a couple years ago of the one I made for myself.

4 months later
#402 7 years ago
Quoted from mspaeth:

Unfortunately, my phone was dead, so I didn't take any pictures, but maybe Matt's got some

I don't, but I will take some. Thanks again for making these. I think they look great.

#404 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

are they for sale?
I asked a while back and never heard.

Yes, mspaeth will be selling them. I gave him the list of people that inquired.

#406 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Hopefully I am still on the front of the list

You were actually 9th... and I think he has just 9 to sell!

#410 7 years ago

OK, here are some pics of the color LED bug counters. One showing what the new board looks like and another showing it installed in the game.

SST-colorLED_PCB_(resized).jpgSST-colorLED_PCB_(resized).jpg

SST-colorLED_(resized).jpgSST-colorLED_(resized).jpg

I took a short video of it in attract mode too:

The first image shows the PCB with the spacers from the original board on it, but you don't actually want to use those. The digits end up being too far away from the windows (so they look too fuzzy). I ended up using 3mm thick washers on both sides of the screws (both sides because you don't want the screws going too deep). That puts the LEDs right up to the windows so they look much sharper (the windows are deliberately a bit opaque to create some fuzziness).

6 months later
#481 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

After finally getting my SST completely shopped and playing perfectly, I got a airball last night that broke one of my plastics. If anyone has a spare they could sell it would be greatly appreciated.

Yikes! I think I'll go make a plastic protector for mine before that happens to me....
Good luck in your search. I've never seen a full or even partial set of SST plastics come up for sale. I do have an extra set of slingshot plastics if someone needs them.

6 months later
#510 6 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I have a question about the brainbug behavior I have the latest software, mine doesn't like to pop up every time you clear the targets some games it'll pop up every single time some games it's every other or every third planet. My brainbug is adjusted right and works fine in test and when he does pop out during the game he pops up and stays up just fine. Just curious if it's normal, or if i have problem somwhere

The last target you hit for the planet has to be on the left side. If it's on the right side, the brain bug will not come up.

6 months later
#529 6 years ago
Quoted from drherman:

Does anyone have the cushioned standup targets on their machine? If so, can you send me pictures and do you like them?
ebay.com link » Starship Troopers Pinball Target Armour Cushioned

Those seem like a bad idea... SST targets are translucent colored plastic that are lit from behind. Why would one someone put light-blocking decals on them?

1 month later
#533 6 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I recently acquired an SST and I'm really enjoying it. But I've noticed that, on occasion, when I complete the required bug standups, the brain bug doesn't come up. Instead, it just goes straight to the hurry up sequence. Anyone know what's going on with this? Is this normal?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-want-to-know-more-sst-owners-club-past-present-and-future/page/11#post-3902490

4 months later
#574 5 years ago

IIRC, the bug is attached to the plate below it, which slides back and forth to register hits.

1 year later
#591 4 years ago
Quoted from brianmcculloh:

My main scoop VUK is not getting the ball out the first time. It takes 2-3 times for the ball to be ejected. The longer I run the game continuously, the less likely the ball gets ejected, which makes me think maybe something is heating up over time and losing some power. I have coil strength set on high in the game settings. Should I look into replacing the coil itself? Would that take care of it? If so, does anyone have a link to that specific part?

First steps should be to replace the coil sleeve and possibly the coil stop. Rarely is the coil the problem.

#593 4 years ago
Quoted from brianmcculloh:

Awesome. Are those over at Marco or is there another resource for ordering those? Thanks!

Every supplier should carry them. I like to order from Pinball Life: https://www.pinballlife.com/coil-sleeves.html

4 months later
#607 3 years ago

All white is a good suggestion. Colors didn’t look good to me on the BUG rollovers. You will want non-ghosting for the inserts on this game.

#609 3 years ago
Quoted from xamindar:

Are you talking about the three clear inserts? Dang, I was thinking of trying blue or purple. Maybe cool white is best. At least the inserts are easy to change.

Yeah, I think I tried red and blue. Just wasn't able to see the letters well. Looked cleaner with white. Maybe you'll find something you like. When in doubt, I stick with the original color scheme of the game. Try not to color bomb. Be careful with purple... seen plenty of examples where people destroy the look of a game with those... freakin' Barney nightmare.

#611 3 years ago

I played around with colored LEDs under the planets, just so they were a little more distinct and different from each other. Turned out pretty good. Sorry, I don't have a pic to share.

I take that back. You can kinda see them in this video:

#613 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Very cool, I've been wanting to do exactly this. What parts did you use?

Are you talking about the colored bug counters? More details on those in this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-want-to-know-more-sst-owners-club-past-present-and-future/page/9#post-3196656

A small run of those boards was made. I did not sell them, and I no longer have the game, so I can't supply any details. I do still have my original prototype, which was just a modified original board. So I could tell you what parts I used on that. The production boards used different parts.

2 months later
#645 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The sound is actually stereo on the board but they got cheap and populated only one amp circuit. Tap the line out on the board and run it to a stereo amp for best sound. The traces and pads are labeled so shouldn't be too hard to find the audio.

IIRC, the sound samples are all mono, so that’s not really going to help. With the correct speaker config (proper impedance for the series or parallel wiring), you can drive both speakers safely off the one existing amp. Simple easy upgrade. Anything more is a waste of time.

#648 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

No, there is definite stereo separation. It's wasted because of the stock one speaker, but there are definitely sounds that favor one channel or the other (left/right inlane sound fx), and you can hear a bit of stereo in the music.

Interesting. This was years ago, but I recall looking at the PCM data for the sounds and only finding mono samples. I'm sure I didn't look at all of them, so I suppose there could be some stereo in there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattosborn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-want-to-know-more-sst-owners-club-past-present-and-future?tu=mattosborn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.