(Topic ID: 52019)

Do You Want To Know More? SST Owners club; Past, Present and Future.

By tamoore

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20231006_022955822.jpg
1 (resized).jpg
20230413_173314 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
5C6A0A5F-B206-4427-9993-0B4FA7F572B2 (resized).jpeg
00F845F0-301A-4F9A-B504-FE93FC751FCD (resized).jpeg
6BBA3CFA-EEF7-4777-A58E-2DC7291A551A (resized).jpeg
IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
IMG_2516 (resized).JPG
1672430856184 (resized).jpg
1672430856162 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221230_193832467.jpg
PXL_20221230_193852600.jpg
IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
IMG_2509 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#234 9 years ago

Count me in. I have been wanting one for probably 2 years now and finally pulled the trigger.

Game actually kind of fell into my lap and it may actually be HUO? Condition sure looks like it as it only has minor (very minor) flipper button wear on the left side and none on the right.

Speaking of, where can I fine the double hole lollipop new rail for that side? I would like to put these on to proactively protect. I suppose I could also use the mylar flipper button protectors?

Looking forward to getting it set up an killing some bugs!

#236 9 years ago

this oneSST double button rail.jpgSST double button rail.jpg

#240 9 years ago

I am guessing they are custom. I reached out to the original poster of the photo but no response yet.

11 months later
#293 8 years ago

Can someone please confrim if your 3rd/mini flipper has a wired EoS switch or not.

Mine has switch but no wires and I was surprised at this.

#295 8 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

mine has an unwired switch

thanks for confirmation. VERY strange they did not wire the mini-flipper with an active EoS. I guess they thought it would not be used very much and not for trapping?

#297 8 years ago

not sure, but the 2 main flippers on SST have wired EoS on them. That alone made me think it is odd the mini does not.

I am now not sure how Sega deals with pulse power verse hold power??? Anyone know. I assumed it was like other Sterns where the EoS tells the MPU to drop/modulate the power to hold?

now I am confused.

They are only 2 lug coils

#300 8 years ago

thanks for the info and good to know!

#302 8 years ago

It is not aweful, but also not a piece of cake. Standard sega level of pita.

We are 99% done with a full refurb on ours and just waiting on last shipment of parts right now.

#304 8 years ago

if you do get those, please scan the flipper ones and email to me! I will make up extra sets to give away to others.

I am almost done with the rebuild on my game and would like to put the flipper decals on my new bats, but dont need any of the other decals so not spending $30 to do it

#306 8 years ago

Anyone know what are the differences in ROM 2.0 and 2.1?

Wondering if there is a change log anywhere so I can decide if it is worth updating.

#307 8 years ago

My SST is now out on route to share with the locals. Will be interesting to see if it is liked or not.

Tends to have very long ball times so I have contemplated pulling the left post between inlane/outlane completely. Will give it some time and check drain audits to see how things are.

#309 8 years ago

I will keep you posted wolf.

After all the work of cleaning this game up (one of the dirtiest I have had at start and biggest PITA to shop/refurb) I finally got a chance to really dig into the game with playing it. Actually a very fun deck and I need to go back and rerate it.

I also wish someone would do the work to bring colorDMD to this title. One of the most deserving and lots of great animations that woudl look so good in color!

#311 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Totally! It would be so sweet. It really is one of my favorite games to play, I doubt mine will go anywhere for a very long time.

agreed.

Mine will only be going on route for a short time to fill a space while we wait for something new to arrive. I figure it is a nice treat and a game rarely seen on route so hopefully the locals enjoy it. I am very excited to get it back home in the personal collection.

#313 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

The challenge there would be the necessary modifications to fit an LCD into the speaker panel on these Showcase heads. That was my main reason for not installing one with a DMD Extender up to this point.
A newer color solution is the RGB LED panels that can fit exactly into the space of a DMD, so that's the route I'm going with SST. If ColorDMD could support these panels, it might make installation in more games much more feasible. You'd lose upscaling capabilities, though.

I thought someone had already successfully made the needed modifications to fit the showcase head? and it ended up not being too terribly tough?

#317 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

I was wanting to try working on this myself but I'm not sure if the program to do so is readily available... anyone?

apparently the new colorDMD tools are really slick. PLEASE reach out to colorDMD and inquire. They pay for your time to do a title (contract and everything for the work) and would be a sweet game to see done.

As I know it the basic concept is pretty straight forward where you go through and 'record' all possible DMD frames by progressing all aspects of the game. You then adjust/select your basic pallet of colors that are good for the game, and finally start telling the software what colors to us eon what frames/dots. Apparently goes pretty quick compared to the original software they had developed and can be lots of fun.

I tried for a different title at one time and was not quick enough to meet their timelines (that was early on when they started picking up steam). On a title like this I am guessing they would be a bit more casual on development.

I would buy if someone got it done

#319 8 years ago

Awesome and keep us posted (even if via PM; I can keep a secret)

#322 8 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I will let him know the names of the people who expressed interest before so they can get first crack at buying one. The run is very limited, and I don't know if he will run them again.

I cant remember if I expressed interest before, but PLEASE count me in!

#325 8 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I'm not sure what he is going to ask for them yet. But the original boards are $70 ( http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5166-00 ), and these are better.

If they are reasonable, count me in

#328 8 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

I put my SST out on route back in November. It's surprisingly popular with the kids and the adults. The kids flock to it. I guess because of the blood and guts.

good to hear! Are ball times excessively long?

2 weeks later
#344 8 years ago

Mine has been on route for almost 2 weeks now and the players have provided feedback that they really enjoy it as something different.

Tonight is the first monthly tourney which will use it so I am sure I will get more input tonight.

#346 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

How is it holding up repair wise?

no issues so far but I do a full topside and bottomside tear down and refurb before each games goes out on route.
The warrior bug needed a full rebuild before it went out and I found I did need to loose the screws on the right side of the mech (where it attaches to pf) to remove some torque and allow it to move more freely.

I am sure there will be a few issues that arise as new games on route always need a month or so to work out the bugs.

#348 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Cool! We have a couple of spots near us that would be good places to route a pin or two I think. I've been considering it, but I have a lot of reservations about it.

it is a TON of work, but can be fun/challenging also.

I would ONLY do it if the location is close to your daily travels/ home, can have a minimum of 4 machines, and you want to host a monthly tournament to have the fun part of meeting and playing with more local pinheads.

If you get serious and find a location, feel free to PM me and I am happy to give more details on how to do things by the books.

#350 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

How is it holding up repair wise?

had some issues last night with the switch needing adjustments in the right VUK. (I really dislike how Sega did VUK switches).

I may put in a brand new Cherry switch at some point. Any amount of slop is no good and the design is just poor with a very fine tolerance on this Sega design.

aside from that it is playing well

#353 8 years ago

looks GREAT!

#360 8 years ago

love the cannon lights! Can you please provide more photos of your work to make these (how to)?

#363 8 years ago

very cool! thanks!

#366 8 years ago
Quoted from UCSBrandon:

Looking for a quick sell at $1,500.

HELL of a deal on this title!

#369 8 years ago

I bought some spare SST toys off amazon yesterday to play around with modding them! Kind of pumped!

#372 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Oh, that's a good idea. They aren't cheap NIB, though! Did you find some turrets?
I would think you could go with smaller LEDs (either small through hole or SMT) and not have to alter the toys as much.

I found 1 for $23 on amazon. Gonna play with that and if I trash it then no big deal

#375 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

What did tournament players think of it? Any way to derandomize recon awards?

they seem to like it. I do not put it in tournament settings for the monthlies as they are small and casual type play. The randomness of the recon is a bummer but we just play it as it lies in this case.

3 months later
#403 7 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I don't, but I will take some. Thanks again for making these. I think they look great.

are they for sale?

I asked a while back and never heard.

#405 7 years ago

great!

Hopefully I am still on the front of the list

#407 7 years ago

so I am in, sweet
!

#412 7 years ago

Looks great!!!

2 months later
#432 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Going to shop an SST. Its been a while since I had one. Do people still like using the black rubber rings? I usually use the white ones but not sure on SST. Best flipper rubbers to use? Thx in advance

I really like the titan translucents on SST

#434 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

For all or just slings. Thx

for all rings.

They are especially nice on a game like SST where the translucent picks up and diffuses light. Goes well with the theme and art.

#435 7 years ago

for flipper rubbers I use the Perfect Play from pinball life.

#437 7 years ago

I just get the bulk kits and then add on for and oddball sizes. I figure I will use them on other games

2 months later
#457 7 years ago

still such a GREAT game and severly under appreciated!

9 months later
#514 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm having trouble with the Warrior's movement. Everything seemed to be working fine, until I removed and replaced the Warrior mech. The game still tries to move him, but when he gets about half-way back, he stops moving. You can still hear the motor trying, but it's like there's too much resistance or something. After a few seconds it stops trying and I think he moves back to the front.
It's not obvious what might be different or what might be catching all of a sudden. Any ideas on what to check?

When you replaced the whole mech you cranked down the screws/bolts holding it to the pf. Try just BARELY loosening it to remove the torque on the mech. That should fix it IME.

11 months later
#550 5 years ago
Quoted from Scorch:

I'll be joining the club tomorrow.
Just went and saw a pristine SST that must be HUO. Even has the unopened bag of goodies... couldn't find a single scratch or scuff on the cabinet. Needs LED's, probably some new rubber, and a clean and wax. Also, in the test, the red flashers weren't working... hope it's just the bulbs, but if not I may be asking for some help troubleshooting.
Picking it up for $2000 which I think is a pretty good deal these days. Current owner had no idea you could go in and change the settings, didn't know how to remove the glass or even that the backbox opened. He had it in his gameroom for the last 11 years and is downsizing.
Can't wait to get this baby home... I love the movie... Love how cheesy it is and the special effects set a new standard when the movie first came out.

congrats and 2k is a great deal.

1 year later
#589 4 years ago

I have a nice SST I will be listing shortly.

$2500 cash

Listing coming when I get a chance to snap some pics and blast it out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 18.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-want-to-know-more-sst-owners-club-past-present-and-future?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.