(Topic ID: 52019)

Do You Want To Know More? SST Owners club; Past, Present and Future.

By tamoore

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20231006_022955822.jpg
1 (resized).jpg
20230413_173314 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
5C6A0A5F-B206-4427-9993-0B4FA7F572B2 (resized).jpeg
00F845F0-301A-4F9A-B504-FE93FC751FCD (resized).jpeg
6BBA3CFA-EEF7-4777-A58E-2DC7291A551A (resized).jpeg
IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
IMG_2516 (resized).JPG
1672430856184 (resized).jpg
1672430856162 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221230_193832467.jpg
PXL_20221230_193852600.jpg
IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
IMG_2509 (resized).JPG
There are 846 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 17.
#301 8 years ago

In the club! Just got my machine earlier today. So far it's pretty fun. Not extraordinarily deep, but it's fast as hell (even despite the one I have being dirty as hell!).

When it comes to shopping it out, does anyone have any idea how this compares to other Data East and Sega games (personal ones I've done are Goldeneye and Last Action Hero--LAH was a bit of a pain, Goldeneye a bit, but not too bad)?

#302 8 years ago

It is not aweful, but also not a piece of cake. Standard sega level of pita.

We are 99% done with a full refurb on ours and just waiting on last shipment of parts right now.

#303 8 years ago

Does anyone make replacement flipper decals for this machine? I see I can get the "S" logo flipper bats as replacements (I'd like to, as the ones I have are completely smoke-stained), but I'm not sure about the flipper decals.

Actually, now that I've looked, it seems Marco has them included in a decal kit. Shame the kit doesn't come with the sticker that goes over the lockdown bar, pointing towards the start button: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/820-6213-XX

Maybe it would be a good idea for me to just get this kit. Some of the decals on my apron are pretty bubbly and could use being replaced.

#304 8 years ago

if you do get those, please scan the flipper ones and email to me! I will make up extra sets to give away to others.

I am almost done with the rebuild on my game and would like to put the flipper decals on my new bats, but dont need any of the other decals so not spending $30 to do it

#305 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

if you do get those, please scan the flipper ones and email to me! I will make up extra sets to give away to others.
I am almost done with the rebuild on my game and would like to put the flipper decals on my new bats, but dont need any of the other decals so not spending $30 to do it

That may actually be a possibility. My folks have a scanner I could use.

#306 8 years ago

Anyone know what are the differences in ROM 2.0 and 2.1?

Wondering if there is a change log anywhere so I can decide if it is worth updating.

#307 8 years ago

My SST is now out on route to share with the locals. Will be interesting to see if it is liked or not.

Tends to have very long ball times so I have contemplated pulling the left post between inlane/outlane completely. Will give it some time and check drain audits to see how things are.

#308 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

My SST is now out on route to share with the locals. Will be interesting to see if it is liked or not.
Tends to have very long ball times so I have contemplated pulling the left post between inlane/outlane completely. Will give it some time and check drain audits to see how things are.

I'll be interested to hear how it does and what the ball times are.

#309 8 years ago

I will keep you posted wolf.

After all the work of cleaning this game up (one of the dirtiest I have had at start and biggest PITA to shop/refurb) I finally got a chance to really dig into the game with playing it. Actually a very fun deck and I need to go back and rerate it.

I also wish someone would do the work to bring colorDMD to this title. One of the most deserving and lots of great animations that woudl look so good in color!

#310 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I also wish someone would do the work to bring colorDMD to this title. One of the most deserving and lots of great animations that woudl look so good in color!

Totally! It would be so sweet. It really is one of my favorite games to play, I doubt mine will go anywhere for a very long time.

#311 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Totally! It would be so sweet. It really is one of my favorite games to play, I doubt mine will go anywhere for a very long time.

agreed.

Mine will only be going on route for a short time to fill a space while we wait for something new to arrive. I figure it is a nice treat and a game rarely seen on route so hopefully the locals enjoy it. I am very excited to get it back home in the personal collection.

#312 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I also wish someone would do the work to bring colorDMD to this title.

The challenge there would be the necessary modifications to fit an LCD into the speaker panel on these Showcase heads. That was my main reason for not installing one with a DMD Extender up to this point.

A newer color solution is the RGB LED panels that can fit exactly into the space of a DMD, so that's the route I'm going with SST. If ColorDMD could support these panels, it might make installation in more games much more feasible. You'd lose upscaling capabilities, though.

#313 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

The challenge there would be the necessary modifications to fit an LCD into the speaker panel on these Showcase heads. That was my main reason for not installing one with a DMD Extender up to this point.
A newer color solution is the RGB LED panels that can fit exactly into the space of a DMD, so that's the route I'm going with SST. If ColorDMD could support these panels, it might make installation in more games much more feasible. You'd lose upscaling capabilities, though.

I thought someone had already successfully made the needed modifications to fit the showcase head? and it ended up not being too terribly tough?

#314 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I thought someone had already successfully made the needed modifications to fit the showcase head? and it ended up not being too terribly tough?

From Pinsider JeffF in the following post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/10#post-2276499

Quoted from JeffF:

Just finished installing one of these in our X-Files yesterday. Talk about a lot of work? No removable speaker panel for that one.
Ended up taking the door off, striping it down, and cutting a 1\2" slot in the shelf so the LCD fit tight against the little plastic DMD bezel.
Sounds way easier than it was of course. The hardest part was coming up with a jig for the rounded face of the door since there was also a 5\8" lip there.
I'll be sure to post a couple pictures. This game really shines with 4 colors IMHO. My son and I worked for a couple hours a few weeks ago to dial them in and once we saw them on the actual game it made all the work worth it!

He posted some pics here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/10#post-2277425

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I will keep you posted wolf.
After all the work of cleaning this game up (one of the dirtiest I have had at start and biggest PITA to shop/refurb)

Isn't it, though??? What a pain this game is.. all those layers

Quoted from Whysnow:

I finally got a chance to really dig into the game with playing it. Actually a very fun deck and I need to go back and rerate it.

The rules are fairly simple, but I love how the game gets progressively harder as you beat the planets -- kinda like an oldschool vid.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I was wanting to try working on this myself but I'm not sure if the program to do so is readily available... anyone?

#316 8 years ago

What I like about this game is how it forces you to hit the standup targets if you want to progress to the end. You can flail, but if you are going to reach Klendathu it's probably going to take some good aim. I like that.

I also dig that there's a big risk versus reward factor in the game. You can bypass nuking each planet one by one, and try to nuke all five together. The nuke values are increased and the Super Nuke if you are nuking all five planets at once is ridiculously large. I like that kind of flexibility in a game, even if it's a simple game like this.

You guys are scaring me about this shop job though. I did the front half of the playfield and the only issue I ran into was having to disconnect the flashers below the playfield in order to lift the front parts of the ramps. Still awaiting on parts to get to the upper half of the PF.

#317 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

I was wanting to try working on this myself but I'm not sure if the program to do so is readily available... anyone?

apparently the new colorDMD tools are really slick. PLEASE reach out to colorDMD and inquire. They pay for your time to do a title (contract and everything for the work) and would be a sweet game to see done.

As I know it the basic concept is pretty straight forward where you go through and 'record' all possible DMD frames by progressing all aspects of the game. You then adjust/select your basic pallet of colors that are good for the game, and finally start telling the software what colors to us eon what frames/dots. Apparently goes pretty quick compared to the original software they had developed and can be lots of fun.

I tried for a different title at one time and was not quick enough to meet their timelines (that was early on when they started picking up steam). On a title like this I am guessing they would be a bit more casual on development.

I would buy if someone got it done

#318 8 years ago

Thanks, Whysnow! I'll contact them right now. My days are usually filled up with mod making, but I'd like to give this a go so I can fit it in during the wee hours..

I'm surprised the software isn't freeware, you'd figure it would be most beneficial to them to get as many people possible working on this stuff.

#319 8 years ago

Awesome and keep us posted (even if via PM; I can keep a secret)

#320 8 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

.... One thing I hadn't seen done before that I thought would look cool was if the 7-segment LED digits on the playfield were the same color as their corresponding bug/target (instead of all red). Unfortunately, you can't get blue digits that use the same pinout as what the original board uses, so it takes a bit of work.... Here's what the proto looks like:
SST_4-color_LEDs.jpg
Please excuse the crappy cell-phone pic... it looks considerably better in person.
So I was considering having some 4-color display boards fabricated that would be a simple drop-in replacement for the original board. Any interest?

This project got delayed for quite a while, but it's back on track. A small run of replacement display boards with the four different colored LED digits has been made. I had a proto running in my game this weekend. Some component values need to be tweaked to get the intensities balanced, then they should be ready for assembly. These are not being made by me... I am just helping. I imagine he will post them for sale when they are ready. I will let him know the names of the people who expressed interest before so they can get first crack at buying one. The run is very limited, and I don't know if he will run them again.

#321 8 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I imagine he will post them for sale when they are ready. I will let him know the names of the people who expressed interest before so they can get first crack at buying one. The run is very limited, and I don't know if he will run them again.

I'm interested.

#322 8 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I will let him know the names of the people who expressed interest before so they can get first crack at buying one. The run is very limited, and I don't know if he will run them again.

I cant remember if I expressed interest before, but PLEASE count me in!

#323 8 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I will let him know the names of the people who expressed interest before so they can get first crack at buying one. The run is very limited, and I don't know if he will run them again.

I'm interested if I can swing it when the price is finalized. Any pricing estimates?

#324 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I'm interested if I can swing it when the price is finalized. Any pricing estimates?

I'm not sure what he is going to ask for them yet. But the original boards are $70 ( http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5166-00 ), and these are better.

#325 8 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I'm not sure what he is going to ask for them yet. But the original boards are $70 ( http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5166-00 ), and these are better.

If they are reasonable, count me in

#326 8 years ago

I'm in for those as well. . This game needs more mod love..

#327 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I put my SST out on route back in November. It's surprisingly popular with the kids and the adults. The kids flock to it. I guess because of the blood and guts.

#328 8 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

I put my SST out on route back in November. It's surprisingly popular with the kids and the adults. The kids flock to it. I guess because of the blood and guts.

good to hear! Are ball times excessively long?

#329 8 years ago

I don't think the ball times are too long. I'll have to check the stats next time I do a cleanout.

#330 8 years ago

Please count me in!!

#331 8 years ago

Hey fellow SST owners. Do any of you happen to know where Switch 36 is located? The manual says it is not used, but I'm getting an error message that switch 36 is stuck open.

#332 8 years ago

Finished tearing down the game yesterday. It was by no means the hardest game I have ever shopped. It was just time consuming (but to be fair, every job is). Everything was easy to get to and the biggest hangup was having to disconnect the flashers under the playfield, but that only took a minute. The game was filthy so the teardown/build-back-up process was probably much less than the time it took to clean everything.

#333 8 years ago

Just played mine tonight... man it's a tough game!

#334 8 years ago

Can you post photos of the multicolor led?

#335 8 years ago

I finally became a citizen last night with a score of 217M on hard. Took me a month, but I think I'm getting a handle on the table. It's so much better to play this IRL than on TPA on my iPad. This is going to be a great table to practice multiball management on.

After reading through the thread I realized that my table has really old ROMs in it. The CPU and display ROMs are 0.94. Not sure how it hasn't been updated in 19 years. I did have to clean a good layer of dust out of the machine.

#336 8 years ago
Quoted from refried:

Can you post photos of the multicolor led?

I don't have any pics of the new boards in action yet. Hopefully soon though.
There is a pic in this thread from a couple years ago of the one I made for myself.

#337 8 years ago

Can someone please post a pic of what your end of stroke switch looks like on the pink mini flipper. I just finished rebuilding the two main ones, and was really surprised to see there were no connections on mine. ( see pic )

There are no loose wires, and I'm not sure what to think. Surely it wasn't designed this way?

Thanks!

20160206_225602_(resized).jpg20160206_225602_(resized).jpg

#338 8 years ago

mini flipper has no eos wiring. its correct.

#339 8 years ago

Thank you!

#340 8 years ago

Fixed the switch 36 issue by putting a new rotten dog driver board in
Also replaced flipper coils, rebuilt flippers, and added Titan rubbers.
This thing plays like a dream now! I am never giving it up.

#341 8 years ago

Just added mirror blades on this game. OMG

The light show was already one of The best, now it' a like getting MB with 2 more games on each side!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#343 8 years ago

Where did you get the mirror blades?

#344 8 years ago

Mine has been on route for almost 2 weeks now and the players have provided feedback that they really enjoy it as something different.

Tonight is the first monthly tourney which will use it so I am sure I will get more input tonight.

#345 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Mine has been on route for almost 2 weeks now

How is it holding up repair wise?

#346 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

no issues so far but I do a full topside and bottomside tear down and refurb before each games goes out on route.
The warrior bug needed a full rebuild before it went out and I found I did need to loose the screws on the right side of the mech (where it attaches to pf) to remove some torque and allow it to move more freely.

I am sure there will be a few issues that arise as new games on route always need a month or so to work out the bugs.

#347 8 years ago

Cool! We have a couple of spots near us that would be good places to route a pin or two I think. I've been considering it, but I have a lot of reservations about it.

#348 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Cool! We have a couple of spots near us that would be good places to route a pin or two I think. I've been considering it, but I have a lot of reservations about it.

it is a TON of work, but can be fun/challenging also.

I would ONLY do it if the location is close to your daily travels/ home, can have a minimum of 4 machines, and you want to host a monthly tournament to have the fun part of meeting and playing with more local pinheads.

If you get serious and find a location, feel free to PM me and I am happy to give more details on how to do things by the books.

#349 8 years ago

Bally/Williams mirror blades fit perfectly on this pin

#350 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

had some issues last night with the switch needing adjustments in the right VUK. (I really dislike how Sega did VUK switches).

I may put in a brand new Cherry switch at some point. Any amount of slop is no good and the design is just poor with a very fine tolerance on this Sega design.

aside from that it is playing well

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 846 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-want-to-know-more-sst-owners-club-past-present-and-future/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.