(Topic ID: 52019)

Do You Want To Know More? SST Owners club; Past, Present and Future.

By tamoore

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 670 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by Faust
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 151 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E2205AAD-65D0-4F31-ABAB-385E414970FE (resized).jpeg
148CE497-90F4-462C-A6A7-9B5394E28A0B (resized).jpeg
B3EA26A4-0658-45E1-95FB-6F6F1F09DE1C (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200911_014420648 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200911_014550537 (resized).jpg
SST Mod (9) (resized).jpg
IMG_20200715_185513563 (resized).jpg
EBAY-8427 (resized).jpg
EBAY-8426 (resized).jpg
EBAY-8349 (resized).jpg
61PuslW9PeL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
IMG_20200628_035128980.jpg
IMG_20200627_003429880 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200627_003443285 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200614_223558825 (resized).jpg

There are 670 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 14.
#651 4 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

I didn't add the amplifier components to the board, I tapped the line-level signal for the left and right audio from the board and ran it to separate self-contained amps, leaving the left amp on the board unused. This was back when it was easy to get amplified equalizers (car radio power boosters), so I ran the L and R signal to one car amp driving good coaxial speakers in the head. I think I may have just used a line-level converter on the cabinet sub speaker output and connected that to the other amp, which drove a much better replacement cabinet speaker.

Gotcha, too much work for me. I actually had a speaker from another BSMT 2000 game sitting on my shelf and adding it made a big difference. It was a perfect fit for empty speaker grill and took about 5 mins to get installed. It's just daisy chained to the stock speaker, the same way most Bally/Williams are.

#652 4 months ago

Corey (and other posters) are right, there is no stereo. I just went and pulled the glass off my game and triggered orbits, ramps and inlane/outlanes, and when paying close attention, the sound seems to be the same regardless of the side of playfield you shot.

I think what made it sound stereo are 2 things: increasing the fidelity of output with new speakers and EQ, but more importantly, the backbox speakers not actually facing the player directly - they point to the left and right slightly due to the curve. This makes some SFX and the post-multiball music have some subtle weird effects depending on where your head is. If you stick your head near the backbox it sounds mono, but in the player position the sound seems to spread out at times and shifts if you move side to side a bit. Has anyone who just doubled-up the left speaker output noticed anything like that?

#653 4 months ago

I actually added everything needed for the right speaker amp. I also replaced the stock left speaker and with a pair of BRS40's. They were pretty much a drop in replacement.

IMG_20200911_014420648 (resized).jpgIMG_20200911_014550537 (resized).jpg
#654 4 months ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

I actually added everything needed for the right speaker amp on the board. I also replaced the stock left speaker and with a pair of BRS40's. They were pretty much a drop in replacement.
[quoted image][quoted image]

3 weeks later
#655 3 months ago

So, I just picked up a SST and I've realized something that I didn't notice until I started shopping it out; the Bug Kill inserts are lifted ever so slightly above the playfield. Is this a common problem with this machine? I've search this and other topics and haven't seen very much posted about it. Looking below the playfield I don't see where there was any movement and they're all pretty uniform in their height making me think it may have left the factory that way (but I can't bring myself to believe it). I Just wanted to get other owners' input on this before going to town on the playfield. Thanks!

#656 3 months ago
Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

the Bug Kill inserts are lifted ever so slightly above the playfield

Mine are actually slightly cupped. The bug counters on mine will change the ball path if the ball is moving slow enough.

#657 3 months ago

So, I just picked up a SST and I've realized something that I didn't notice until I started shopping it out; the Bug Kill inserts are lifted ever so slightly above the playfield.

Risen/lifted inserts on dmd games are usually caused by years of the heat from the bulbs under them.
And the inserts that are lit the most often are usually the first to rise.
If the game spent most of it's life in an arcade environment turned on 12 hours a day 7 days a week, that'll do it.

Anyways, once they start lifting above the playfield they will eventually start to get chipped by the pinballs.
Search pinside for 'fixing lifted inserts' and you'll get some suggestions. Ideally you'd gradually heat them from below with a heat gun to loosen the glue, then from the top with a hammer and block gently tap them back level, then apply your choice of glue from underneath to secure them in place.

If they're BARELY lifted above the playfield, you could elect to just put a larger piece of mylar over that area and not mess with re-leveling.

YMMV because I've had some inserts go back level with one tap, and I had Gottlieb Vegas inserts that would NOT move at all no matter how much heat or how hard the swing of a hammer. You also run the risk of burning the insert or damaging the playfield. I never F'd up an insert doing the above leveling, but accept no responsibility if you F up yours

#658 3 months ago

duplicate post

#659 3 months ago
Quoted from miracleman:

Risen/lifted inserts on dmd games are usually caused by years of the heat from the bulbs under them.
And the inserts that are lit the most often are usually the first to rise.

That’s the interesting/questionable thing to me since these are above the LED digit displays

#660 3 months ago

That’s the interesting/questionable thing to me since these are above the LED digit displays

I don't remember from the SST I had if that LED board underneath got unusually hot, but put your hand on the pf there after the game's been on an hour and see how it feels. I also don't remember if the inserts were normal inserts or something special with the frosted look, but mine were level.

#661 3 months ago

So, I just picked up a SST and I've realized something that I didn't notice until I started shopping it out; the Bug Kill inserts are lifted ever so slightly above the playfield. Is this a common problem with this machine? I've search this and other topics and haven't seen very much posted about it. Looking below the playfield I don't see where there was any movement and they're all pretty uniform in their height making me think it may have left the factory that way (but I can't bring myself to believe it). I Just wanted to get other owners' input on this before going to town on the playfield. Thanks!

Wow, where do you guys find these games?

They seem quite rare around me.

I would love to restore one!

3 weeks later
#662 89 days ago

My autolauncher is incredibly sloppy leading to balls not making their way all the way up the ramp. I know this game is well known for having launcher issues. Has there ever been any kind of fix to this found?

#663 89 days ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

My autolauncher is incredibly sloppy leading to balls not making their way all the way up the ramp. I know this game is well known for having launcher issues. Has there ever been any kind of fix to this found?

You probably just have to investigate to see why it's doing that. Mine seems perfectly fine, except when it launches a multiball while there is another ball in the area. But I think that's why this game has such a long ball save during multiball. Actually, the previous owner of mine had put a felt strip on the right wall to absorb the ball energy from the kickout hole. Half my launches were just draining until I removed that strip of felt.

On my machine, the kicker giving me trouble is the one on the left. I replaced the whole mechanism and coil with new ones and it still does the same thing. Sometimes it kicks the ball to the right flipper, sometimes barely, and sometimes it goes to the left flipper or SDTM. I'm wondering if it is the metal deflector above the kickout hole causing it.

1 month later
#664 53 days ago

My brain bug and magnets just stopped working. Has anyone else had this happen?
I'll open it up and take a look later today but just throwing it out there in case someone knows the cause?

Are the brain bug and magnets on the same power line? Maybe a cable came loose.

1 week later
#665 42 days ago

I think I may have gone a little overboard on my SST. So far, Mirror Blades, All LED's, LED OCD board, Pinball Pro Speakers and Sub, Buckwerks controller in coin door, and now Color dmd went in today.

pasted_image (resized).png
4 weeks later
#666 13 days ago

You can never go to far...
Mine has the same plus color screen bug display and demirrored glass, pinsound and a shaker.

Original cabinet 9.5/10 playfield 9/10

All GI is cold white, and there is an orange plastic protector set around the slings.

Last but not least I made a playfield protector for the game.

148CE497-90F4-462C-A6A7-9B5394E28A0B (resized).jpegB3EA26A4-0658-45E1-95FB-6F6F1F09DE1C (resized).jpegE2205AAD-65D0-4F31-ABAB-385E414970FE (resized).jpeg

#667 13 days ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

yes, it was for me the problem that the ball was not hit straight by the mech. I bent some things until it was OK. I can imagine that when it is worn more it becomes worse.

#668 13 days ago
Quoted from Faust:

You can never go to far...
Mine has the same plus color screen bug display and demirrored glass, pinsound and a shaker.
Original cabinet 9.5/10 playfield 9/10
All GI is cold white, and there is an orange plastic protector set around the slings.
Last but not least I made a playfield protector for the game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have the invisiglass as well now. I did not know there was a shaker for SST. Do not see it in the software settings.

#669 13 days ago

Where can you get the colored bug displays?

#670 13 days ago

There is not a shaker for the game specifically, BUT you can get the shaker for Pinsound (which I did)
Next, you can start making your own shaking patterns with specific sounds.
Many, many options there. I never finished it but I hope to do this somewhere this year.

The colored bug displays were sold by some guy in Holland. I have his contact, but I don't know if he's active on Pinside.
It is a very nice add on to the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sun Valley, NV
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
There are 670 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside