Do You Want To Know More? SST Owners club; Past, Present and Future.

(Topic ID: 52019)

Do You Want To Know More? SST Owners club; Past, Present and Future.

By tamoore

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 580 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by Lithonion
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 126 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180813_011653 (resized).jpg
SST Color DMD (resized).jpg
SSTDriver (resized).jpg
images-1 (resized).jpeg
Backbox1 (resized).jpg
Backbox2 (resized).jpg
Backbox3 (resized).jpg
28378940_195798561006928_2602119437497405735_n (resized).jpg
Powder Coated (6) (resized).jpg
Powder Coated (4) (resized).jpg
Powder Coated (5) (resized).jpg
IMG_3341 (resized).jpg
IMG_5473 (resized).JPG
2017-02-19 20.15.18 (resized).jpg
2017-02-19 20.14.55 (resized).jpg
2017-02-19 20.15.05 (resized).jpg

There are 581 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.
#501 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

I'm an SST newbie with a question regarding the difficulty settings.
The manual only shows the that Extra Ball Memory is off when choosing the "extra hard" setting, and that each orbit, ramp and multiball difficulty changes without any explanation of the actual change between the settings.
Is there a count difference in bug kills required with each difficulty setting? The manual fails to provide any specific detail to the changes that are affected with the different settings.
Is there any documentation describing the specific differences to game-play when choosing the various difficulty settings?

The only thing I could think of doing is to take the glass off and set each difficulty and manually trigger each and write it down. The only thing I know for sure is each difficulty as you increase just increases the counts of each target you have to hit.

#502 1 year ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

The only thing I could think of doing is to take the glass off and set each difficulty and manually trigger each and write it down. The only thing I know for sure is each difficulty as you increase just increases the counts of each target you have to hit.

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid doing that as it's a bit tedious.

My game is set on "hard" and I've yet to see an extra ball, or a video mode. The hard setting also eliminates warrior mb automatically lit on ball 3.

I did a quick check and the bug count on the first planet appears to be the same.

3 weeks later
#503 1 year ago

So I've been offered an SST, but the ramps are shot. I don't believe they make repros....or at least I cannot find them. Does anyone know if these are available? Also it needs a new "ball exchanger". I'm not sure what this is but am being told it is under the apron.

#504 1 year ago
Quoted from tbmi:

So I've been offered an SST, but the ramps are shot. I don't believe they make repros....or at least I cannot find them. Does anyone know if these are available? Also it needs a new "ball exchanger". I'm not sure what this is but am being told it is under the apron.

Not sure where you will find a ramp. Bay Area Amusements had a couple but I just checked and they are out of stock now so someone nabbed them. Also I think the "ball exchanger" is probably the trough assembly. K's Arcade has the complete trough assembly. The ramp though could be hard to find.

#505 1 year ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

Not sure where you will find a ramp. Bay Area Amusements had a couple but I just checked and they are out of stock now so someone nabbed them. Also I think the "ball exchanger" is probably the trough assembly. K's Arcade has the complete trough assembly. The ramp though could be hard to find.

Yeah, I think the ramp is going to be the deal killer. I have not seen the machine but was told that a new ramp is definitely needed.

I was thinking the "ball exchanger" was the trough (or something to do with it). I've just never heard the term before.

Thanks for the reply.

1 month later
#506 1 year ago

Happy to join the club last night. Only had time to play one game before bed but I'll play quite a few this weekend!

IMG_5473 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#507 1 year ago

I've been trying to beat the high score on my machine since I got it (almost a year ago) and I finally did! The score to beat was 216,000,000 and last night I got 242,000,000. Woohoo!

I switched strategies. Instead of going for orbit multiballs, I decided to try and stack bonus holds and just kill lots of bugs and increase my multiplier via the rollover targets. That was it. My third end of ball bonus was over 100,000,000!!!

Anyone else use this strategy?

IMG_3341 (resized).jpg

#508 1 year ago

So I got this pin a year ago for my wife for our 9th Anniversary. So what did I do for the 10th. New legs, casters and powder coating.

Powder Coated (5) (resized).jpg
Powder Coated (4) (resized).jpg
Powder Coated (6) (resized).jpg

1 week later
#509 1 year ago

I have a question about the brainbug behavior I have the latest software, mine doesn't like to pop up every time you clear the targets some games it'll pop up every single time some games it's every other or every third planet. My brainbug is adjusted right and works fine in test and when he does pop out during the game he pops up and stays up just fine. Just curious if it's normal, or if i have problem somwhere

#510 1 year ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I have a question about the brainbug behavior I have the latest software, mine doesn't like to pop up every time you clear the targets some games it'll pop up every single time some games it's every other or every third planet. My brainbug is adjusted right and works fine in test and when he does pop out during the game he pops up and stays up just fine. Just curious if it's normal, or if i have problem somwhere

The last target you hit for the planet has to be on the left side. If it's on the right side, the brain bug will not come up.

#511 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

The last target you hit for the planet has to be on the left side. If it's on the right side, the brain bug will not come up.

Well son of a bitch thanks for replying it seems that was it, I guess it makes sense because the ball could easily end up over the bug and it would fly it up into the glass

#512 1 year ago

I'm having trouble with the Warrior's movement. Everything seemed to be working fine, until I removed and replaced the Warrior mech. The game still tries to move him, but when he gets about half-way back, he stops moving. You can still hear the motor trying, but it's like there's too much resistance or something. After a few seconds it stops trying and I think he moves back to the front.

It's not obvious what might be different or what might be catching all of a sudden. Any ideas on what to check?

#513 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm having trouble with the Warrior's movement. Everything seemed to be working fine, until I removed and replaced the Warrior mech. The game still tries to move him, but when he gets about half-way back, he stops moving. You can still hear the motor trying, but it's like there's too much resistance or something. After a few seconds it stops trying and I think he moves back to the front.
It's not obvious what might be different or what might be catching all of a sudden. Any ideas on what to check?

Almost sounds like he is hanging up on the rails it slides on. Maybe try to see if it slides back and forth freely without the motor or worm gear attached?

#514 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

When you replaced the whole mech you cranked down the screws/bolts holding it to the pf. Try just BARELY loosening it to remove the torque on the mech. That should fix it IME.

2 weeks later
#515 1 year ago

Something interesting just recently started happening. When the ball is first ejected into the launcher lane from the ball trough, sometimes it is ejected with so much force that it bounces off the right side of the launcher lane right back into the ball trough. The game sits there for a minute and then realizes what happened and attempts to eject it again.

This happens approximately one out of five times. It doesn't make the game unplayable but it can get really annoying. Anyone have any tips on how to fix this? Can I take less power out of the ejector, or put some sort of deflector in somehow so it can't ricochet right back into the ball trough?

Thanks all!

#516 1 year ago

Did you try to put the coil power on Soft?

Pls do note that This influences all coils

#517 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Did you try to put the coil power on Soft?
Pls do note that This influences all coils

I had no idea this was possible. Is that a setting in the menu?

#518 1 year ago

Should be. Don't have my SST anymore but all sterns I have had had this option so I made a good guess this Sega has one to.

#519 1 year ago

Perfect! Set it on the lowest of the three settings and now it doesn't eject as hard and never goes back into the ball trough. Thanks for the helpful tip, rensh !

#520 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Huh. I never knew this, and I wondered too. Thanks!

2 months later
#521 10 months ago

My newest add to SST. I have been toying with doing this for awhile. Friend of mine convinced me I should do it and sell it. The mod not the pin that is. The wife would kill me if I sold it. This mod has interactive blue beacon topper mod that is tied into the multiball as well as under cab that is tied into the bug flashers for that color of bug. Here is a video of it. You can skip ahead to around 1:40 when I activate the mulitball ready. And farther in as you watch you can see the under cab. Was a quick not trying at all game. Really I wasn't trying. Took me about 20 hours to put it together. About 20 minutes to install.

#522 10 months ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

My newest add to SST. I have been toying with doing this for awhile. Friend of mine convinced me I should do it and sell it. The mod not the pin that is. The wife would kill me if I sold it. This mod has interactive blue beacon topper mod that is tied into the multiball as well as under cab that is tied into the bug flashers for that color of bug. Here is a video of it. You can skip ahead to around 1:40 when I activate the mulitball ready. And farther in as you watch you can see the under cab. Was a quick not trying at all game. Really I wasn't trying. Took me about 20 hours to put it together. About 20 minutes to install.
» YouTube video

This is awesome! What price are we looking at?

#523 10 months ago
Quoted from brianmcculloh:

This is awesome! What price are we looking at?

149.00 shipped in the lower 48. I am waiting on more LED strips to come in.

I have not started the back box mod yet but all the kits I make will have the plug for it. Better to have and not use then not have and want it later on.

Just a quick note I did remove the top transport support brackets. Don't think you need to but it gives it a cleaner look. I put my brackets in the coin box they fit right in.

1 week later
#524 10 months ago

So lazy me that has never read the rule set and hit a skill shot I didn't know. I hit a Hole skill shot and you would have thought I won the lottery because I didn't know about it so when I seen it on the DMD I was stoked.
So I thought I would copy the skill shots from the rules.

There are three possible skill shots:

1. Plunge the ball; a magnet will catch the ball above the B-U-G rollovers. One of the rollover lights will be flashing; move it with the flipper buttons. If you do it right, you're awarded +1 Bonus X. (This is very similar to the skillshot in Medieval Madness)

2. Hold the left flipper button as you plunge the ball; hitting the right ramp will award a 5M Ramp Skillshot. Holding the left button will disable the magnet that otherwise would've captured the ball.

3. Hold the left flipper button as you plunge the ball; plunge just hard enough to get the ball into the Orbit Multiball sinkhole. You will be awarded an Orbit MB letter. This probably isn't an "official" skillshot though.

#525 10 months ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

3. Hold the left flipper button as you plunge the ball; plunge just hard enough to get the ball into the Orbit Multiball sinkhole. You will be awarded an Orbit MB letter. This probably isn't an "official" skillshot though.

Pretty sure this is official, because not only do you get the letter, dong this skillshot will light both orbits for the rest of the ball (instead of them only briefly lighting on an inlane feed). This makes orbit MB much easier to get and makes this the most valuable skillshot by far.

3 months later
#526 6 months ago

Joined the club yesterday. I'll be honest SST was never a game on my wanted list but when this turned up 5 mins down the road for $500 I really couldn't say no.

It needs a fair bit of tlc but is basically fully working. Looking forward to getting into it.

28378940_195798561006928_2602119437497405735_n (resized).jpg

#527 6 months ago

Wow, $500 is a steal! I have to say this game never gets old. I've owned it for a year and a half and just played it last night for about 45 minutes

Welcome to the club!

#528 6 months ago

Man, I overpaid for mine apparently.

Does anyone have the cushioned standup targets on their machine? If so, can you send me pictures and do you like them?

ebay.com link » Starship Troopers Pinball Target Armour Cushioned

#529 6 months ago
Quoted from drherman:

Does anyone have the cushioned standup targets on their machine? If so, can you send me pictures and do you like them?
ebay.com link » Starship Troopers Pinball Target Armour Cushioned

Those seem like a bad idea... SST targets are translucent colored plastic that are lit from behind. Why would one someone put light-blocking decals on them?

#530 6 months ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Those seem like a bad idea... SST targets are translucent colored plastic that are lit from behind. Why would one someone put light-blocking decals on them?

While they do let some light through (and it's true they are translucent) I don't feel like opaque targets would really change the game. I think they just happen to be see through but that wasn't the original intent/goal of the targets. But I guess this just comes down to what you prefer.

drherman No I haven't tried those - hadn't even heard of them until you pointed them out. If you do get them do you mind sharing a pic of what they look like installed?

#531 6 months ago

That's not a deal, that's a steal!!! Welcome to the club. I paid 2k for mine missing one toy and needing a good cleaning.

4 weeks later
#532 5 months ago

I recently acquired an SST and I'm really enjoying it. But I've noticed that, on occasion, when I complete the required bug standups, the brain bug doesn't come up. Instead, it just goes straight to the hurry up sequence. Anyone know what's going on with this? Is this normal?

#533 5 months ago
Quoted from shaub:

I recently acquired an SST and I'm really enjoying it. But I've noticed that, on occasion, when I complete the required bug standups, the brain bug doesn't come up. Instead, it just goes straight to the hurry up sequence. Anyone know what's going on with this? Is this normal?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-want-to-know-more-sst-owners-club-past-present-and-future/page/11#post-3902490

#534 5 months ago

Thanks.

#535 5 months ago

Are the call outs on SST family friendly?

#536 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Are the call outs on SST family friendly?

There are no explicit words. There are things like "get up, you maggots!" and things like that, but nothing any worse than that. I don't have any issues with my 7 and 5 year old kids playing it, and I'm pretty sensitive.

#537 5 months ago
Quoted from brianmcculloh:

There are no explicit words. There are things like "get up, you maggots!" and things like that, but nothing any worse than that. I don't have any issues with my 7 and 5 year old kids playing it, and I'm pretty sensitive.

Sounds good, thanks! There is one nearby and I was considering picking it up.

2 weeks later
#538 4 months ago

I never liked the single florescent bulb in pins. First it ruins the translite and or backglass over time and the light is uneven. So I did this mod. Got a sheet of coroplast and cut to size. Three strips of natural white LEDs with a small 12v controller. Made my own tie in through the 12v/5v supply by the coin door. And set the lighting. The coroplast sits in there with the hinge bolts and the backbox lock plate so no mounting hardware is needed. The final picture doesn't do it justice. I took it with the lights off so the camera sorta darkened the whole picture. Wasn't hard to make and pretty cheap. The coroplast was the most expensive part. And I always have LEDs laying around waiting for the next LED project.

Backbox1 (resized).jpg
Backbox2 (resized).jpg
Backbox3 (resized).jpg

#539 4 months ago

If anyone has a SST for sale and willing to ship, PM me. I do have a US shipping address. Thanks

#540 4 months ago

When buying, reminder to ask if it's a original mpu board or a remake board. My original went out and had to find a remake one. The remakes however don't /are unable to process the bug targets sound effects.

#541 4 months ago
Quoted from Akitostarwind:

The remakes however don't /are unable to process the bug targets sound effects.

That might be a good thing. I played SST at Pinfest for the first time in a few years since I owned mine.

I remember now why I wouldn't buy another one - the goddamned bug screeching sound effects CONSTANTLY.

#542 4 months ago

The toys used had other things with them. The fighter ship had people. To bad Sega left them out...

images-1 (resized).jpeg

#543 4 months ago

SST has a color DMD now.

1 week later
#544 3 months ago

The toys used had other things with them. The fighter ship had people. To bad Sega left them out...

I had a toy missing on mine so purchased the actual toy. I put the people in it and I also found the people for the canons and put them in.

#545 3 months ago

SST has a color DMD now.

YES!!!!! So happy to hear this I just ordered one! My first color DMD.

#546 3 months ago

I'm having a really hard time getting the mini-flipper cranked down enough after rebuilding the flipper mechanism. Does anyone have any advice? I bought the Marcos kit.

1 month later
#547 69 days ago

I'll be joining the club tomorrow.

Just went and saw a pristine SST that must be HUO. Even has the unopened bag of goodies... couldn't find a single scratch or scuff on the cabinet. Needs LED's, probably some new rubber, and a clean and wax. Also, in the test, the red flashers weren't working... hope it's just the bulbs, but if not I may be asking for some help troubleshooting.

Picking it up for $2000 which I think is a pretty good deal these days. Current owner had no idea you could go in and change the settings, didn't know how to remove the glass or even that the backbox opened. He had it in his gameroom for the last 11 years and is downsizing.

Can't wait to get this baby home... I love the movie... Love how cheesy it is and the special effects set a new standard when the movie first came out.

#548 69 days ago
Quoted from Scorch:

Just went and saw a pristine SST that must be HUO. Even has the unopened bag of goodies... couldn't find a single scratch or scuff on the cabinet. Needs LED's, probably some new rubber, and a clean and wax. Also, in the test, the red flashers weren't working... hope it's just the bulbs, but if not I may be asking for some help troubleshooting.
Picking it up for $2000 which I think is a pretty good deal these days. Current owner had no idea you could go in and change the settings, didn't know how to remove the glass or even that the backbox opened. He had it in his gameroom for the last 11 years and is downsizing.
Can't wait to get this baby home... I love the movie... Love how cheesy it is and the special effects set a new standard when the movie first came out.

So it has had the same batteries in it for over 10 years? Hope there is not leakage or alkaline damage.

#549 69 days ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

So it has had the same batteries in it for over 10 years? Hope there is not leakage or alkaline damage.

Yup.... when I went to check it, he couldn't find the key to the backbox, but has it now. I'll definitely be checking for damage before the deal is sealed...my guess is that it hasn't burst since it is still keeping the settings, and the game seems to be fully working.

#550 69 days ago
Quoted from Scorch:

congrats and 2k is a great deal.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 119.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Bright
Boards
PinSound
$ 25.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 19.95
Apparel - Women
Pinball Wheezer
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 115.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 12.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 581 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside